PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 person tent?

slimjim414
11-23-2010, 16:13
Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere, I couldn't find it.

That being said, I'm having difficulty choosing on a tent for my planned 2012 thru-hike. MSR Hubba? REI Quarter-Dome? Big Agnes Seedhouse? All have great reviews, and I suppose it's just up to personal preference.

I've also been considering the 2-person versions of some of these tents. I talked with a guy at REI one day and he recommended the Quarter Dome T2 because it definitely wasn't big enough for 2 people, but would do great as a 1-person. Overkill?

Any insight would be great, thanks!

scope
11-23-2010, 16:29
I went through a lot of this decision-making process before becoming a hammocker. Those 3 are all good tents with different variables to choose from - or certain compromises to accept, depending on how you look at it. There are many other options out there for solo tents, these are just perhaps the best you can get at REI, etc. I'll let others chime in on those others.

My evaluation of these 3 was that the Hubba was too narrow, the Seedhouse had only 1 door entrance that was more susceptible to the elements, and the Quarterdome was a little short, but would be my preference of the 3. Personally, I had narrowed it down to either the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge or Sierra Designs Lightning before deciding to go the hammock route. I had decided that the extra room was going to be worth the weight.

Note: I have much more room now with a hammock (under a tarp) than I would have had otherwise.

Luddite
11-23-2010, 16:29
I had the MSR Hubba and loved it. Its real easy to set up, but, personally, I wouldn't bring it on a thru-hike. With all of the shelters on the trail, there really isn't a need to have a 4 pound tent. Have you considered a tarp Tent? Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html) makes some popular shelters.

Lyle
11-23-2010, 16:30
As in most things, this is a personal decision. Is the extra weight and bulk of a 2 person tent worth the added comfort/convenience in camp. A lot will probably depend on how you end up using your tent. Will you sleep in it most nights? Then the extra weight may be worth it. If, on the other hand, you plan to sleep in the shelters and only use your tent occasionally, then the lightest, most compact tent you can afford will probably be your best bet. You will be carrying it every day, all day.

Don't forget to also consider the single walled tents and/or tarps.

StorminMormon
11-23-2010, 16:30
Personally, and I'm not a thru-hiker so I will gently throw in my 2 cents...but personally, I say a 1-person. The lighter the better. It's going to come down to personal preference for each person but I'm already moving towards a tarp-tent. I just want something to keep me dry and keep the bugs off. That's all I care about. I have a rain-hood for my backpack, and I usually hang it to keep rodents and bears away. I don't need much inside the tent with me and at the end of the day - it's all about weight. The lighter the better.

swjohnsey
11-23-2010, 16:36
Unless you are a Clysdale most one person tents should be adequate. I just got a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, plenty of room for me and all my gear. It weighs 2' 12" ready to go so you could probably save a little weight by using a tarp tent but sacrifice convenience and weatherpoofness (is that a word).

slugger
11-23-2010, 16:55
I have the quart dome T-1 I plan on bring on my thru. It's really easy to set up and I like it a lot.

srestrepo
11-23-2010, 17:07
i hate to put up a shameless plug here but i have a seedhouse sl1 for sale. i dont really use it because i'm quite massive, but i find that its a great tent. i have pictures and details and all and you'll pay less than you would at the store. but certainly the T-1 and the Hubba are awesome little tents and quite popular out on the trail. either way if you're interest shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

BrianLe
11-23-2010, 17:47
I'm with Lyle in the "personal decision" response. I hiked with a fellow who swore by his 2-person tent, he loved it, felt the extra weight was well worth it to be able to stretch out (he's a pretty tall guy). And there are certainly people on the other end of the spectrum that, depending on the trail, go with something pretty minimal.

You didn't say *which* trail you intend to thru-hike; since you're from Tennessee (and, sorry, I can't resist, "likely don't know better" :-)), I'll assume you've selected the AT as your long distance hike. IMO a factor in tent selection then is when you plan to start (and which direction). I started (NOBO) on the early side on the AT this year, and as a result it was easy to find space in shelters. I.e., if you anticipate you might be sleeping in shelters a lot, err on the side of a more minimal and lighter tent. My hiking partner was happy this year with his 13 oz floorless Wild Oasis (http://sixmoondesigns.com/tarps.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=41&category_id=8) --- because we mostly slept in shelters.

When (or even if) it might get really buggy is a factor too. You can't predict for sure how much rain you'll get, but one can make at least a guess about bugs. Starting in late Feb and ending in July I had very little in the way of bugs to worry about on the AT this year, that aspect was very nice. When the bugs are fierce out is a definite "nice time" to have a more roomy tent to hang out in.

Your personal thru-hiking "style" is also a factor. Some folks do relatively less distance in a day, and so might (depending on rain or bugs) spend thus more "awake time" in the tent on occasion. IMO, so long as the tent is adequate, "asleep time" isn't as big a factor, you just lie there and sleep. It's when weather or bugs push you into the tent that a bigger one is nice. But if you're more the type to walk until the day is mostly done, eat and go right to sleep --- once again, you don't need something palatial if you're mostly just sleeping in it.

Spokes
11-23-2010, 18:31
I carried the MSR Hubba HP (solo) on last years thru and loved it. Pretty much bombproof. A solo tent/tarp is the way to go. You may not think about it now but you'll soon start thinking in "ounces" once on the trail.

Today, I picked up a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo after seeing one up close at Bluff Mountain Outfitters. I was sold immediately. Darn thing has more room inside than the Hubba HP and is lighter too. It's a single wall so research the pro's and con's before you decide.

Good luck!

slimjim414
11-23-2010, 18:45
Thanks for all the quick replies!

scope - i was kind of leaning towards the quarter dome for the same reasons. i'm right at 6'0 but a rail of a man at 160lbs, so i suppose a ton of room on the inside isn't a necessity.

Luddite - i think i'm going to stay away from tarp tents and stick with the traditional tent. there's just something about sleeping under a tarp that gets to me...you're right that the msr hubba is probably too heavy for a thru-hike however.

swjohnsey - i laughed at your comment about being a clydesdale. the big agnes seedhouse looks like an excellent option so far.

srestrepo - nothing shameless about it :) thanks, and i'll let you know if i end up deciding on the seedhouse.

BrianLe - haha well you're correct about my selection of the AT, however I am not "from" Tennessee. I moved there just four months ago :). You did have some good insight though, and i appreciate it.

Spokes - I think you and everybody else are correct about going solo tent now that I think about it. I tend to carry a lot of weight (yes, some unnecessary) and to just suck it up and go solo would save valuable ounces.

So far, I'm leaning more towards the Quarter Dome T1 because I really like the two doors, as well as its low weight. Plus it looks cool :)

rip waverly
11-23-2010, 18:48
another push... 1 person tent all the way

Praha4
11-23-2010, 19:56
unless you like carrying a piano on your back on the AT, checkout these other UL tents or tarptents, weighing less than or just a bit more than 2 pounds

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo or Duo
Tarptent: Contrail, Moment, Rainbow or Sil-Lite
Lightheart Tents: Solo
Montbell Crescent - 1
Big Agnes UL Fly Creek 1 or 2

there are other 2 man UL tarps also, such as Black Diamond Beta-Light, that weigh less than 2 lbs.

Tinker
11-23-2010, 22:36
I liked this tent almost as much as my hammock, so I did a short writeup on it:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52867&highlight=lightheart+gear+tinker
If you hike without trekking poles, look at the Tarptent Moment. This would be the one I, personally, would use, if I didn't use trekking poles (or a hammock :D).
www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)

BrianLe
11-23-2010, 22:39
"i think i'm going to stay away from tarp tents and stick with the traditional tent. there's just something about sleeping under a tarp that gets to me"

A possible misconception here in that a tarp tent isn't a tarp --- it's a single-walled tent that's sort of evolved from a tarp, so generally speaking tarp tents are fully enclosed.
Making it a bit more confusing perhaps is that one (excellent) source of these is tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com), so sometimes when folks refer to a tarptent they're talking about a tent by this specific company.

If you use two trekking poles and want a good mix of "lightweight" yet "not single walled", consider a Lightheart Gear solo (http://lightheartgear.com). Quite roomy inside, this is what I'll be using for my next long trip, FWIW.

Del Q
11-23-2010, 22:45
Weight issue. My Tarptent at 34 ounces uses a hiking pole to setup vs carrying tent poles - makes a lot of sense. TONS of room, really nice during long rains, easy to setup, tough to beat. New fabrics and designs are getting even lighter by the year. Loved my BA SL1 - just too heavy.

runfifty
11-23-2010, 22:55
I'll recommend the Big Agnes Fly Creek, one person model. It worked great for me the entire thru hike, lightweight and set up in a jiffy. I set it up in the shelter when I was alone to keep the mice and bugs off me. I even got a great price with the footprint included from Mountain Plus Outdoor Gear.

skinewmexico
11-23-2010, 23:00
My heavy 2 man tent is a Quarterdome T3. Great tent. But I use a Tarptent the majority of the time.

slimjim414
11-24-2010, 01:55
Tinker - I enjoyed your review of the LightHeart tent...definitely a tent to keep in mind I think for me. I'll have to do a bit more research into it.

BrianLe - Thanks for the clarification between a tarp tent and the brand TarpTent! Even after the months of solid research I've been doing (yes, still a newbie I realize), I've not yet come across this brand. It does look like an excellent option as well, so I'll definitely be looking into both the LightHeart and TarpTent brands. I don't use trekking poles, I use a hiking stick I made in Boy Scouts when I was 10! (probably more for the romanticized idea of it more than anything). Thanks for your suggestion.

runfifty - good suggestion. it was actually a model i was also looking into originally. however after all of my research I feel as if I could get a tent better suited to my needs for the money.

mweinstone
11-24-2010, 02:01
my name is mat
i have a question
ill take my thank you off the air
my question is
black diamond megalight
whos you daddy?

johnnyblisters
11-24-2010, 02:14
2 person tent, live like a king!!! MWHHAHAHA

leaftye
11-24-2010, 04:17
Keep in mind that I haven't hiked the AT and probably never will, but if I were planning to do so and also to stay in the shelters, I'd pack the most minimal tent possible. I definitely wouldn't want to go over 2 lbs. If using trekking poles, the Lightheart looks like a great option at the heavy end, and a Hexamid Solo with netting would be at the lightweight end.

srestrepo
11-24-2010, 09:16
all things aside, I'm still in disbelief about how comfortable my hammock setup is. goes upquick, comes down quick. packsaway small, has bug netting. my blackbird has a shelf for books and a light or whatever. i really like itand its very comfortable for me. your experience may not be the same but mine were certainly awesome so i feel obligated to tell you to at least lay in one... just try it out.

4shot
11-24-2010, 09:24
My $.02 worth....I am one of those who carries a 2 man tent for the extra room/space. I started with the MSR Hubba Hubba (a great tent and got a good deal on a used one on the gear for sale forum on this site) but switched to the tarptent Double rainbow at Gatlinburg and shed a couple of pounds. Warning about tarps...they make great shelters but if you don't have insect netting you will be miserable during bug season (saw this firsthand with 2 of the guys I hiked with for most of the trail). Good luck.

springerfever
11-24-2010, 09:29
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1........very happy with mine !

Toolshed
11-24-2010, 09:53
If you are dead set on getting a standard double wall tent, then I would ask - do You plan to stay in shelters and only use it on occasion, of will you be in it for a considerable number of nights. If the former, get the 1-person. If the latter, I think I would go with the two, having spent many nights in a 1P, especially rainy nights, gloomy mornings and such. It really is nice to have the extra room. What I also consider a bonus is at 1 AM, when you awaken to find out that there is a small root under you, you have an extra foot or so to move your gear over. (It happens even with the best scouring for a perfect tentsite.)

slimjim414
11-24-2010, 13:11
Hmm all good suggestions and good pros and cons with all of them.

Srestrepo, I haven't yet tried a hammock...I think that I would like to atleast try one beforehand though. If nothing else it just sounds interesting!

It's interesting getting the perspective of 4shot and Toolshed, both of whom suggest 2-persons. It does sound like a great idea, and I think that's what the guy at REI was explaining to me as well.

I think I'll just spend a day at REI, and find a few brands and models that I like, then try out both the 1 and 2 person versions.

Again, thanks for all of the great help and insight everybody!

swjohnsey
11-24-2010, 22:15
Most days you will spend eight hours in your tent, almost all of it asleeep. On the days you are weathered in I don't think it will make much difference to you whether it is a 1 or 2 person tent, I would not like to spend it in a bivy sack. What does make a difference to me is if it has a vestibule or some way to actually cook in the tent and a way to get all of your gear inside.

I don't plan to sleep in shelters. I want to leave early and get to sleep early I am going to use a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1.

slimjim414
11-25-2010, 12:48
Since I doubt I'll be staying in the shelters too often, I'm kind of leaning towards ...2 person? Dadgumit this is a difficult decision. How about a larger 1 person tent?

swjohnsey
11-25-2010, 16:40
Try one out. Get in it with your gear, sleeping bag and pad. The BA Seedhouse 1/SL1 are very roomy.

swjohnsey
11-25-2010, 16:42
Oh year, the difference between a one and two person tent of the same model will be mostly in width. I stow my gear at the foot of the tent and in the vestibule.

leaftye
11-26-2010, 04:32
Since I doubt I'll be staying in the shelters too often, I'm kind of leaning towards ...2 person? Dadgumit this is a difficult decision. How about a larger 1 person tent?

My Zpack Hexamid Solo is a 1+ person shelter. I really like that I can keep my gear inside with me. The thought of putting my pack outside of my bug netting when I'm seeing ticks crawling around... No thanks.

So if you're the same, get a 1+. There's not really any reason for a 2 person. If the Hexamid is too minimal for you, then take a look at the Lightheart Solo. That shelter may not be big enough to sleep next to your pack, but you can stow it beneath your feet and keep the rest of your gear to your sides.

mcskinney
11-26-2010, 04:43
golite shangra la 1 w/ nest

slimjim414
11-26-2010, 11:31
The GoLite Eden 1 looks pretty slick. And it's only 3lb 6oz. However the BA Copper Spur is is only 3lb...

leaftye
11-26-2010, 12:39
3 pounds is heavy to me. If you want a bigger tent, look at the Lightheart Duo. It's 2 pounds and is better for setting up in the rain than most tents...something I would find highly desirable on the AT.

Tinker
11-26-2010, 21:17
My Zpack Hexamid Solo is a 1+ person shelter. I really like that I can keep my gear inside with me. The thought of putting my pack outside of my bug netting when I'm seeing ticks crawling around... No thanks.

So if you're the same, get a 1+. There's not really any reason for a 2 person. If the Hexamid is too minimal for you, then take a look at the Lightheart Solo. That shelter may not be big enough to sleep next to your pack, but you can stow it beneath your feet and keep the rest of your gear to your sides.

There's plenty of room for you and your pack in the Lightheart solo tent.
Cooking is discouraged in silnylon tents because silnylon is very flammable.
As long as your pot is bigger than your stove it's likely that rain will not put your stove out if you shield it with your torso and head when you light it. Make sure your pot with water is ready to go. I've boiled water on an alcohol stove in the rain a few times with no problem.

10-K
11-26-2010, 21:34
If you want a palace make sure to check out the 6 Moon Designs Lunar Duo.... You'll need a map or some breadcrumbs to find you're way around in it if you're using it by yourself there's so much room.

2 huge vestibules for cooking, boots, any gear you don't want in the tent, etc.

Somebody has one on here for sale for $210....

Lillianp
11-27-2010, 01:44
My hiking partner was happy this year with his 13 oz floorless Wild Oasis (http://sixmoondesigns.com/tarps.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=41&category_id=8) --- because we mostly slept in shelters.

Hey Gadget-what did you carry?! I never remembered to ask or if I did, I forgot.

-Crash Course

BrianLe
11-27-2010, 02:06
Hey Crash -- nice to hear from you!

I started with the poncho equivalent of the Wild Oasis, i.e., the SMD Gatewood Cape (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=39&category_id=12&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=122). I also brought a really light (not really waterproof) bivy sack, since Lucky, Lumbar and I started fairly early (Feb 25th). Lucky had the Wild Oasis, I don't even know what Lumbar had, I can't recall a single night he was with us (either time) that we didn't sleep in a shelter.

In a more normal year the Gatewood Cape might have worked out well; I had planned to swap the light bivy for the bug net insert that fits inside the Gatewood cape, but even before we got into the Smokies I started to question my choice. On the first day we actually needed rain gear (and I put on my gatewood cape as a poncho), Lucky pointed out --- as we were maneuvering between various blowdowns --- that it was all too likely I would catch and rip both my rain gear and shelter in one go. You might recall we had a whole lot of blowdowns to deal with this year in GA, and TN/NC.

So I asked my wife to mail my Contrail (http://tarptent.com/contrail.html) to Fontana Dam, along with an old driducks rain jacket. The driducks didn't hold up too well (zipper problem), so I got a new rain jacket soon after, I think in Gatlinburg.

But for the number of times I actually pitched my tent on the whole trip, the Gatewood Cape would have been a better choice in retrospect, from Virginia and thereafter. Still, you don't need to carry that much gear on most of the AT, and less food and water than on other long trails, so no big deal. And the Contrail was nice for the relatively few times I did put it up.

What did you and --- was it Silver? --- use?

leaftye
11-27-2010, 02:12
There's plenty of room for you and your pack in the Lightheart solo tent.

From what I've read, the central sleeping position of the Lightheart doesn't leave enough room on the sides to place a backpack unless it's propped up.

leaftye
11-27-2010, 02:15
If you want a palace make sure to check out the 6 Moon Designs Lunar Duo.... You'll need a map or some breadcrumbs to find you're way around in it if you're using it by yourself there's so much room.

2 huge vestibules for cooking, boots, any gear you don't want in the tent, etc.

Somebody has one on here for sale for $210....

I hiked with a guy for a few miles earlier this year. I was so jealous when I saw his palacial Lunar Duo, especially since I spent the night crammed into a bivy to escape the rain while shooing away a mouse all night.

4eyedbuzzard
11-27-2010, 02:28
When it's raining really hard, and much as you might not like or plan on staying in a shelter, even when they're crowded they seem a lot roomier and usually make for a dryer experience than a tent when you have to sit out bad weather. I'm a bit claustrophobic, so that plays into my opinion, but to be able to stand up and just have some open space around you is a lot nicer than being confined to a tent IMO. I've given up tents for an 8x10 Etowah Outfitters "Meadows" sil tarp with a Granite Gear "Haven" bug screen (2 lbs, 4 oz total). 99% of the time it's a "good enough" shelter from the rain and it's a lot roomier than a tent of the same weight. If I have to, in an emergency I can pitch it as a teepee and close it in completely (it has a door flap). But when the weather starts to turn really bad, I'm going to be looking for something with a roof, even if I have to stop early.

thechadders
11-30-2010, 11:50
golite shangra la 1 w/ nest

Bump for the Golite Shangra LA 1!

This is my shelter or tarpten of choice. It weighs in at 16 oz and makes use of trekking poles. They also sell the nest to go with it which i believe is another 15 -16 oz. Fast Easy setup and I will be using it summer 11 on the Colorado Trail.

Highly recommend or the Shangra LA 2 which is just a couple ounces more and gives ample room for yourself and gear.

Ladytrekker
11-30-2010, 13:10
I bought the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight it has plenty of room for me and my pack and some extra. It is a two person tent but my opinion way to small for two. I have been in rain with no leaks and am satisfied with it and the room it has. The two things I don't like is front entrance and separate fly. 3 lbs 14 ozs.

Spokes
11-30-2010, 13:18
I used a SD Clip Flashlight for years and liked it a lot. Doing a thru hike makes you look at gear differently. Now seeing words like "3 lbs... " in a tent description make me cringe!

Cheers!

goodolenate
11-30-2010, 16:52
I've gone with a TarpTent Double Rainbow. After being unable to find a tent that I could really fit into at any reasonable weight, this is the best that I could find. However, I am an unusual case at 6'5''. For anyone a normal size, the TarpTent Rainbow, other other TarpTent models are great for their weight. I just went with the Rainbow because I prefer to be able to set up without using my hiking poles.

CrumbSnatcher
11-30-2010, 16:53
i always carried a two man tent on my hikes, but i also had my best friend along for the journey :)

Cherokee Bill
11-30-2010, 21:12
I went through a lot of this decision-making process before becoming a hammocker. Those 3 are all good tents with different variables to choose from - or certain compromises to accept, depending on how you look at it. There are many other options out there for solo tents, these are just perhaps the best you can get at REI, etc. I'll let others chime in on those others.

My evaluation of these 3 was that the Hubba was too narrow, the Seedhouse had only 1 door entrance that was more susceptible to the elements, and the Quarterdome was a little short, but would be my preference of the 3. Personally, I had narrowed it down to either the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge or Sierra Designs Lightning before deciding to go the hammock route. I had decided that the extra room was going to be worth the weight.

Note: I have much more room now with a hammock (under a tarp) than I would have had otherwise.

:-? GREAT discussion & info provided here! At 64-yo, I haved hiked parts of the AT for soooo many years, although, having to work for a living, have not done a "Thru"!

Lesson learned the HARD way:

1. Carry a shelter of some type! Shelters can fill before you get there!
2. Boy Scouts can fill it up quickly & early
3. Rain can cause shelters to fill to over-flow
4. Dogs can make you want to by-pass a shelter
5. Noise at crowded shelters will make you want to skip a shelter
6. For what ever the reason, you may not make it to a shelter

Carry, a shelter! If weight is paramont to you, do your research and buy a lite-weight shelter.

Do not let the high cost, keep you from buying a QUALITY LITE-WEIGHT shelter.

Remember: Pray for the Best, but prepare for the WORST!

Happy & Safe Hiking!

slimjim414
12-01-2010, 11:59
So most of the suggestions it seems that people are giving, such as the TarpTent and the GoLite....these are all single-walled right? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the single- and double-walled tents? It seems to me like the single walled tents would give in to moisture very easily.

gunner76
12-01-2010, 15:04
Lots of great light weight tents out there but the problem I have run into is that is many of them are small. I am 6ft 2 and 275lbs and I want a few inches of space around me.

I recommend Lighthear tents. http://lightheartgear.com/ She has a 2 person tent that weights 2 lbs, even has a 1 person cuben tent that weights 14oz. For someone my size her 1 person tent would be small for me but big for a smaller person

I did a lot of research on light weight tents and ended up getting a Warbonnet BlackBird hammock

tuswm
12-01-2010, 15:17
I've gone with a TarpTent Double Rainbow. After being unable to find a tent that I could really fit into at any reasonable weight, this is the best that I could find. However, I am an unusual case at 6'5''. For anyone a normal size, the TarpTent Rainbow, other other TarpTent models are great for their weight. I just went with the Rainbow because I prefer to be able to set up without using my hiking poles.

I also chose this tent for my own reasons. I wanted a real tent with a real floor and something bug proof. I wanted something free standing because I like to go to far away places where you need a free standing tent. This tent pitches much better when you dont use the hiking poles but its nice to have the options. I have also set it up with sticks just to see if i could.

Things I liked about it.
packs small
larger then REI type 2 person tent
have put 3 in it (only totaling 400 lbs)
played cards and cooked with 4 small people (5'8")
kinda easy to set up
most wind proof tarptent
can put silnylon away when damp
comes with nice easton steaks
no overpricecd foot print
can write on tyvek to help hitch hiking

Unique semi negative experience
everything is trade offs
when you lay down the roof is not that far from your face
also when i was in a ridge in Zion NP at 7500 feet we got there and it was <40* and 40 + MPH winds on the ridge. usualy i would just move but we were in a large group and in a NP you have to stay where your permit says. you can see just how exposed we were in this pic taken the next morning when the weather was more calm. You can see how we had to put rocks on every tent so they steaks would stay in the ground. The big tents would get blown flat and smoosh the people inside while they were trying to sleep. while the TT kept its shape its "ventilation" was some what of a problem. Even tough we tried to block all the ventilation with rocks we woke up COVERED in brown dust. it filled the egg crate in my sleeping bag. All the other tents got dust in them too but nothign like ours. It also not the warmest tent.

Its all trade offs

tuswm
12-01-2010, 15:39
here is the pix

4shot
12-01-2010, 16:11
So most of the suggestions it seems that people are giving, such as the TarpTent and the GoLite....these are all single-walled right? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the single- and double-walled tents? It seems to me like the single walled tents would give in to moisture very easily.

the single wall tent will have condensation issues under certain circumstances. When that occurs, you will spend a few minutes wiping it down unless you want to pack it wet and carry a few ounces of water. I really liked my tarptent though. Like all gear questions, there are no perfect choices...everything is a trade-off. That's why you see a variety of tarps, tents, hammaocks ettc. out there.