PDA

View Full Version : Mulitple pockets on packs.

mykl
11-24-2010, 12:33
What packs have outside pockets anymore? I remember there being more available a few years ago, but it seams more packs have less. Recently, I have seen some Kelty and Lowe Alpine packs with side and front pockets but not much else.

sbhikes
11-24-2010, 12:36
All my packs have outer pockets. Ospre, Gossamer Gear, ULA.

bigcranky
11-24-2010, 12:44
Yeah, my Six Moon Designs pack has three great mesh pockets, and the "pad pocket" (which is the frame) lets me keep maps and stuff inside as well as my sleeping pad for easy access. My ULA pack has a great stretchy mesh pocket that I like a lot more than I initially thought I would.

My wife's Osprey Ariel has three pockets of that stretchy mesh, but they are really too small and don't hold all that much.

Cookerhiker
11-24-2010, 12:50
My Kelty Red Cloud has 2 side pockets about 7-8" long plus 2 mesh open pockets below each. I keep my Coleman Ultralight stove plus fuel canisters in one and my pack rain cover in the other. The mesh pockets contain my Nalgene bottle in one, rainpants in the other.

The pack also has 2 center pockets on the outside - the smaller one zips on top of the larger one. I put trail mix/lunch food in the larger one and my maps, guide, and journal in the smaller one.

nitewalker
11-24-2010, 13:09
yep, i have me a red cloud and yes it has a large array of pockets. the pack is a little heavy but rides like a champ. very accesible to the inside and a sleeping bag pouch at the bottom. the red cloud was my 2nd pack. i had the marlboro pack as my intro pack to multi day hiking. very serviceable and bright. it was a nice vibrant red..

now i have the vapor trail with two pouches and thats it. only way into this pack is thru the top. sometimes its agravating if i need to get into the pack for stuff but i manage. the pack itself is a wonder.

realdusi
11-24-2010, 13:45
I second the ULA pocket comment. I love that huge mesh pocket! I hiked with a couple of the FT that bypassed the no-pocket pack by wearing one of those cheap 0.99 two pocket home depot canvas "tool belts". They loved them so much that I think I will be stitching my own.

Rick500
11-24-2010, 14:06
My Osprey Aether 60 has a pocket on each side and a big one on the back.

burntoutphilosopher
11-24-2010, 16:02
not sure what packs DONT have pockets really.

my aether has nice pockets but it's heavey. LOVING my new circuit and the pockets are very large. the REI flash has big back pockets and a top lid compartment.

mykl
11-24-2010, 16:15
I guess I should have said zippered pockets. I had an Osprey Aether and yea, it has 2 water bottle pockets and a lid pocket.
I'm talking about pockets like the Kelty Red Cloud. I might have to try one out.

LIhikers
11-24-2010, 23:52
My Mountainsmith Boundary has outside pockets but you'd need to check their web site to see if they still make that one or not.

Skidsteer
11-25-2010, 00:19
I guess I should have said zippered pockets. I had an Osprey Aether and yea, it has 2 water bottle pockets and a lid pocket.
I'm talking about pockets like the Kelty Red Cloud. I might have to try one out.

Why does the zipper matter? I've never had anything fall out of my ULA pockets and I can see what's in there just by looking.

Bucherm
11-25-2010, 04:51
Why does the zipper matter? I've never had anything fall out of my ULA pockets and I can see what's in there just by looking.

Ditto. I honestly though I wouldn't be using the side "open-top" pockets for anything other than a water bottle, but I've found them to be ideal to cram tent poles, and guidebooks/maps for easy access. I've taken a few spills hiking, ahven't had anything fallen out yet.

greentick
11-25-2010, 17:45
I'll throw in another nothing has fallen out for my ULA Circuit. I love the big pockets and keep them pretty full of stuff which helps keep things in place.

Iceaxe
11-25-2010, 18:31
Nothing has ever fallen out of my Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus mesh pockets either. Ironically I had used a golite Pinnacle, with the zippered back pocket, before and dropped a pack cover on the trail because i was too lazy to open the zipper and stuff the thing inside. I had just clipped it to the outside and it dropped off. I went back 2 miles for that thing!
Anyhow I sure like the mesh pockets for storing the gear I use throuout the day. The big mesh pocket is great for carrying a rain soaked shelter.
Although the zipper never failed on my Golite pack, the stretchy nature, ventilation(for wet gear), and visibility of gear in the of the open weave mesh on the MLD has turned out to be more handy. The MLD Exodus does come with a loop on the lip of the back mesh pocket that the top strap can be threaded through to cinch the pocket closed. I only found this useful for airline travel though.
Wow I am remembering my old Dana Designs Arcflex Terraplane pack.. It was 6 lbs empty. Had two huge zipper pockets and a multizippered pouch top lid. I think the zippers alone outweighed my entire Pack, the MLD Exodus at 15 ounces! I must say though that the old Dana Designs Pack was an indestructible old thing. Happy Memories :sun

sbhikes
11-25-2010, 18:44
I thought for sure stuff would fall out of the mesh pockets of my Gossamer Gear pack. Despite some crazy bushwacking, falling, dropping the pack and having it roll away and 1800 miles of PCT hiking, nothing ever fell out.

mykl
11-26-2010, 02:07
They matter because that's what I asked about. Re-read.
I didn't mention anything about stuff falling out or what not, never had the issue.
While on the subject, if used properly, zippers (on a pocket) can be more secure and useful if you put your mind to it. :-?

I've noticed that not many packs have them anymore. Simple.

Curiosity....

leaftye
11-26-2010, 02:54
I lost a full 1 liter bottle on the side pocket of my ULA Catalyst just before I hit Fuller Ridge. I had the shock cord cinched tight.

I do kind of miss the old zippered pockets that had their own volume. The pockets on many lightweight packs can take away significant volume from the main compartment. Having a bunch of pockets was nice for organization too.

Cookerhiker
11-26-2010, 09:46
...I've noticed that not many packs have them anymore. Simple.......

Hadn't noticed myself - guess I always take the presence of zippered pockets for granted. Better keep my Kelty pack in good shape.