PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation?

Glee
12-14-2004, 13:59
Book Recommendation

I've heard a few things about these 2 books

Beyond Backpacking & Rayway Tarp Book

By Ray Jardine

I was wondering what some of you might think of them and if they are worth buying. I want to make my own fly and going lightweight....

Thanks

The Solemates
12-14-2004, 18:06
yea, they are pretty good. although a bit of a maniac at times, its good general lightweight principle that will get you in the spirit.

jackiebolen
12-14-2004, 21:57
Ray Jardine is the king...a little bit crazy but he did revoluntionize backpacking. I think it's a must-read for any potential thru-hiker (it could help a lot of weekenders too).

Mountain Dew
12-15-2004, 04:18
Ray did what ? Hardly...well in my opinion. He *might have introduced ultralight backpacking to the masses, but even most of his supporters give many of his ideas funny looks. For a potential thru-hiker to read his book is a mistake I beleive. If taken to heart many of his ideas will get these new hikers into big trouble on the trail when they realize that they aren't ready for ultralight hiking. I'd love to be a bird and see just what he really does carry on a hike and how comfortable he really is.

Froggy
01-27-2007, 19:58
Both good books, worth getting.

The tarp book gives plans for making your own, and the other book is a bit more generally oriented towards lightweight camping.

Also interesting and considerably more comprehensive is "The Complete Walker IV." It's reasonably up to date.

All are good gear books. And all talk about more than just gear.

sleeveless
01-27-2007, 21:59
I made up my mind that I wouldn't buy the book but just before my hike a person I knew offered to loan it to me the book. I read some sections and ignored others. I got some good food ideas anyway.

bubba295
01-29-2007, 14:58
I can't say anything bad about either of those books. I own both of them, and Beyond Backpacking is what got me into the "light weight" spirit. I also made a Ray-Way tarp form the Tarp Book and I couldn't be happier. The Scouts still look at me kinda funny when I start setting it up and they all have heavy dome tents. My son has actually started sleeping under a polly tarp now.

TurkeyBacon
01-29-2007, 15:28
I've yet to read either one of them and am quite happy with the shaped tarps that i've made. Backpacking.net has an excelent make your own site that is the background info I used. Henry shires original tarptent is full of info about building tarps. If you are using it purely for making tarps, you can get all that info online for free. But then again, i've never read the books so I don't know whats in them.
TB

The Weasel
01-29-2007, 15:33
Both are excellent, and in a perfect world, people would start backpacking by going directly to 'ultralight' techniques. I spent about 4-5 years or so teaching Scouts - usually 14-15 - how to backpack long distances (50 miles in a week is considered an aggressive hike in most troops) by first letting them bring what they thought they needed, and finding that it caused serious problems with kids, even with reasonable loads, starting to hate backpacking.

After that, I started modifying some of his techniques and approaches and making it a learning/contest type thing, with the Scouts having 'pack stripping' meetings (sometimes 2 or 3) to critique each others' gear. I tried to limit my input to making sure that they had essentials, but they took Jardine's approach and did wonders. Then they'd go out for a week with about 25 lbs FSO, and have a ball, since that was less than most carried in their book bags at school. It showed me that if you learn to do it "light", you have a lot more fun than suffering through "heavy" and reducing weight.

I credit Ray Jardine with making this approach popular, and his books are still classics.

The Weasel

jesse
01-29-2007, 16:41
I have the Tarp Book. Good book, lots of good ideas. I built a tarp tent from his kit, and am very pleased with it. I have gone out on a few windy weekends and the tarp held up nicely.

Deerleg
01-29-2007, 18:56
I read his prerequisite book to Beyond Backpacking about preparing for the Pacific Crest Trail which essentially covered the same principals. I said wow, this guy does some of the same things I have been doing on weekend trips for years. :) Seriously, this is a good book that will mostly help you prepare for your hike.

Whistler
01-29-2007, 21:10
If you've got the time to read them, most certainly do so. Some of Jardine's comments might make you roll your eyes, but I think he's got the right idea 90% of the time. And he's got trail cred to back it up. Whatever you don't like, just ignore. I'd say it's a great beginning if you're looking to go lighter or reframe your expectations for what you need outdoors.
-Mark

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:19
Ray Jardine is the king...a little bit crazy but he did revoluntionize backpacking. I think it's a must-read for any potential thru-hiker (it could help a lot of weekenders too).

tarps rock!!
Ray is the king of hypothermia, being uncomfortable and starving.:-?
geek

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 21:20
Both are excellent, and in a perfect world, people would start backpacking by going directly to 'ultralight' techniques. The Weasel

I agree! More completely inexperienced people would die and there would be more solitude for me!

Ahhh, but that's not what you described in your post. You described a learning process where people (Scouts) who had already hiked, or, at the least, had a mentor (you) there to advise them.

I've read Beyond Backpacking (originally a PCT handbook) and found it interesting and useful in that I took some things from it that, having experience, I knew would work for me and for me in the environments in which I hiked.

But Jardine's not a god and Beyond Backpacking is not a bible. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll be fine.

And I absolutely refuse to carry an umbrella.

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:26
I agree! More completely inexperienced people would die and there would be more solitude for me!

Ahhh, but that's not what you described in your post. You described a learning process where people (Scouts) who had already hiked, or, at the least, had a mentor (you) there to advise them.

I've read Beyond Backpacking (originally a PCT handbook) and found it interesting and useful in that I took some things from it that, having experience, I knew would work for me and for me in the environments in which I hiked.

But Jardine's not a god and Beyond Backpacking is not a bible. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll be fine.

:banana :banana :banana Even if you hold it in one hand and eat cheese cake with the otherhand in the rain?
geek

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2007, 21:35
Ray Jardine is the king...a little bit crazy but he did revoluntionize backpacking.

ROFL, because, well, when Ray Jardine was about 8 years old there was a guy who not only revolutionized but also popularized backpacking by re-inventing the backpack itself, fabricating it from the lightest weight materials available and making it efficient and comfortable. And around this same time there was another guy who even back then carried an absolute minimum of equipment and even went so far as to cut the handles from his toothbrush to save weight. Their names were Dick Kelty and Colin Fletcher.

Ray Jardine certainly deserves credit for popularizing ultralight hiking, but his overall impact on backpacking pales in comparison to the two men previously mentioned.

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 21:46
:banana :banana :banana Even if you hold it in one hand and eat cheese cake with the otherhand in the rain?
geek

Actually, I might use one to keep the rain out of my martini. But that's it.

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 21:47
Actually, I might use one to keep the rain out of my martini. But that's it.
:banana :banana :banana WELL PUT! Drinking is a wonderful sport!.
geek

Deerleg
01-30-2007, 08:20

Seriously, why?

I had never herd of Jardine when I 1st carried an umbrella. My mostly western PA and AT hikes have been better with one. Granted, my hiking style has evolved on every trip, but for me it is an essential piece of gear.

Jester2000
01-30-2007, 20:40
Seriously, why?

I had never herd of Jardine when I 1st carried an umbrella. . .but for me it is an essential piece of gear.

Because the umbrella may be the silliest single invention ever. Have you ever looked at someone carrying one? I mean really looked? Don't they look foolish?

Didn't Benjamin Franklin say, "A man who would sacrifice cool for dryness deserves neither"?

The Chinese had some good ideas, but the umbrella was not one of them. And the fact that it was popularized in Europe by the British, well. . .

You do know I'm kidding, right?

But, no, seriously, I think Jardine put the thing about umbrellas in the book as a gag to see who would do it.

It's not really "essential," is it? I mean, you wouldn't not hike if you couldn't take it with you, would you?

Deerleg
01-30-2007, 22:30
LOL

For me personally it is…it takes care of me and my pack and is deployed in seconds. I overheat fast and I find it much cooler than donning another layer. Yes I could do without it and there are lots of good ways to deal with rain, but for me it’s close to a 20 year habit. And the fashion choices…floral prints in spring bright colors in the fall…gota love those Brits! ;)