PDA

View Full Version : Scumbags caught

The Cleaner
11-24-2010, 17:30
Channel 11,Johnson City TN,reported today the arrest of 3 persons in Damascucs VA in relation to the hikers assulted there during Trail Days in May this year....:)

JEBjr
11-24-2010, 18:01
Are these the same 3 individuals Lone Wolf posted about a few weeks ago?

The Cleaner
11-24-2010, 18:17
I think so...

couscous
11-24-2010, 18:20
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66347

Lone Wolf
11-24-2010, 19:07
Are these the same 3 individuals Lone Wolf posted about a few weeks ago?

yes but the 3rd jerk, ray blevins, was on the run til last night. the other 2 have been accounted for. i'll be going to the hearing next wednesday to see what happens

Lion King
11-24-2010, 20:25
give em' the stink eye wolf!

Sly
11-24-2010, 20:28
give em' the stink eye wolf!

wolf doesn't moon. :p

Luddite
11-24-2010, 20:33
Good! Have fun in jail hiker bashing scum.

double d
11-25-2010, 02:46
I'm so happy to hear that the police department stuck to the investigation, even when the brothers didn't report the crime they endured to the local police department. I also hope that the brothers bring a civil case against the three criminals, just to bring the full weight of the court system against these three clowns.

Red Hat
11-25-2010, 21:46
yes but the 3rd jerk, ray blevins, was on the run til last night. the other 2 have been accounted for. i'll be going to the hearing next wednesday to see what happens

Keep us up to date on what happens. I wish I could be there myself to support my hiking buddies, Double Dribble and Whisper. If you happen to meet them, tell them that Red Hat says "hi!"

Lone Wolf
11-25-2010, 22:00
Keep us up to date on what happens. I wish I could be there myself to support my hiking buddies, Double Dribble and Whisper. If you happen to meet them, tell them that Red Hat says "hi!"

i hope they are there and i will tell them you say hello

rip waverly
11-25-2010, 23:39
Pretty awful to learn about this.
The woods are my sanctuary.
Glad they caught these tool boxes.

Old Hiker
11-26-2010, 22:36
Start a jailhouse rumor that they are in for child molestation and let the other inmates take care of the problem.

Collinofstrength
11-27-2010, 01:33
Trail justice

WalkingStick75
12-04-2010, 09:33
LW..... what happened in court?

Lone Wolf
12-04-2010, 09:35
LW..... what happened in court?

the case is continued to Dec. 22nd so the victims can be in court.

Hobbler
12-04-2010, 11:55
When and if they are found guilty and are sentenced, I feel that the punishment will more than likely not be appropriate for the crime. And so goes the Justice system.

They should in addition to what ever jail time that they might get, be made to do community service....Maybe under watchful eyes, of the law, they should be made to do some time cleaning up after trail days.
OR........
As they leave after the sentencing phase, all of us hikers should line up in gauntlet style outside on the courthouse steps and make shish-kabob out of the perps with our hiking poles...Now, that would be justice!

WalkingStick75
12-04-2010, 22:20
Thanks LW, hopefully they will not have to do so at there own expense.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2010, 06:24
Thanks LW, hopefully they will not have to do so at there own expense.

nope. the town is paying for their travel, lodging, etc. and the state will reimburse the town

Birc h
12-05-2010, 10:50
I once saw and episode of 60 minutes or something. It was about a mom whose 18 year old son was killed by another 18 year old who was driving drunk. A very sad thing for everyone involved. She went all the way thru the case and at the last minute dropped the charges. She said she spent a lot of time praying and there was no use wasting 2 lives (not to mention parents, relatives, etc...) over a really bad decsion.

That kid now travels and tells the story of how his life was very nearly over because of one bad choice.

Honestly, I think the people who did this are "really dumb" (to quote Antoine). They probably have serious mental issues with a side of drugs. They will not learn by being locked up, if anything it may be their honor badge. If I could give out punishment, for them it would be to hang out with us hikers. Get to know us. Maybe they should help rebuild a few shelters or do group trail mantainence.

That, I think is the only way they won't do this crazy ****e again. I agree they need to be punished, but sitting in a cell with criminals isn't going to prevent anything.

So, does anyone know the judge?

LoneRidgeRunner
12-05-2010, 11:23
I hope they get whatever they have coming to them and more!

4eyedbuzzard
12-05-2010, 11:48
I'd be willing to bet they all get some prison time - and not just 364 days in a county jail either. Are they gonna lock 'em up for 25 or 60 years? No, not likely. But they are all gonna do some time.

According to the original article (http://www.swvatoday.com/news/article/county_men_charged_in_beating/8434/), "Reedy and Dean are each charged with two counts of malicious bodily injury, a class six felony that carries one to five years in prison and up to $2,500 fine for each count, and two counts of malicious wounding while being in a mob, a class three felony which carries five to 20 years in prison and up to $100,000 fine per charge."

According to this article (http://www2.tricities.com/business/2010/nov/24/third-suspect-arrested-random-beating-two-appalach-ar-675718/), "Blevins, who, according to court records has a lengthy and assorted criminal history, was on probation for assault and battery in an unrelated case, Nunley said. Both Reedy and Dean have unrelated drug charges pending.

In the hiker-bashing case, each of the men is charged with two counts of assault by a mob, a Class 3 felony, and two counts of felonious assault, a Class 5 felony. Blevins also is charged with obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

Combined, the charges each man faces carry a maximum sentence of 60 years in prison and more than $200,000 in fines.

Blevins and Reedy are being held at the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail in Abingdon; Dean is out on bond."

I can't imagine a judge suspending sentences in this case even if he/she could. The nature of the crime, going out and hunting down people to video tape them while beating them for fun, isn't going to go away with a sweet plea deal - especially for the guy with the prior A&B. It's all going to get noted in the sentencing worksheet. The guy with the prior(s) is going to do his original sentence for violating probation, plus whatever he gets on this. He's gonna be getting three squares a day for a number of years.

Mongoose2
12-05-2010, 13:21
I once saw and episode of 60 minutes or something. It was about a mom whose 18 year old son was killed by another 18 year old who was driving drunk. A very sad thing for everyone involved. She went all the way thru the case and at the last minute dropped the charges. She said she spent a lot of time praying and there was no use wasting 2 lives (not to mention parents, relatives, etc...) over a really bad decsion.

That kid now travels and tells the story of how his life was very nearly over because of one bad choice.

Honestly, I think the people who did this are "really dumb" (to quote Antoine). They probably have serious mental issues with a side of drugs. They will not learn by being locked up, if anything it may be their honor badge. If I could give out punishment, for them it would be to hang out with us hikers. Get to know us. Maybe they should help rebuild a few shelters or do group trail mantainence.

That, I think is the only way they won't do this crazy ****e again. I agree they need to be punished, but sitting in a cell with criminals isn't going to prevent anything.

That's great!! Put them on probation so they can (again) commit felony assault. Next time, perhaps they will take it to the next level and kill their victim. They should be given another chance only after they are convicted and imprisoned for a few years. Yes!! They should sit in prison with other criminals, becuase that's what they are....criminals. You really think that the punishment should be to "Hang out with us"? I bet if you or your family were victimized you would not be so kind the these scum.

Miner
12-05-2010, 17:14

From reading the ealier posts of the thread, its sounds like at least 2 of them are criminals. They found evidence of this crime while searching for evidence of yet another crime. Unlike your example, this crime appears to have planned ahead of time.

neighbor dave
12-05-2010, 18:50
trailhead stoning is due

Half Note
12-05-2010, 19:29
If I could give out punishment, for them it would be to hang out with us hikers. Get to know us. Maybe they should help rebuild a few shelters or do group trail mantainence.

They ganged up on two human beings, beat them, rode away laughing and you think they should build shelters or maintenance on the trail? Are you kidding?

They didn't scatter rocks over the trail or break boards in a shelter. They physically beat two people that had them begging for their own lives.

Tennessee Viking
12-05-2010, 19:34
I say string them up to a tree and smear honey & hang raw steaks on them. Let the trail take its revenge.

10-K
12-05-2010, 21:56
She went all the way thru the case and at the last minute dropped the charges. She said she spent a lot of time praying and there was no use wasting 2 lives (not to mention parents, relatives, etc...) over a really bad decsion.

Not to veer off on a tangent but I don't think the mother could drop the charges in a situation like this...

The state is the one who would be pressing charges for DWI, some kind of vehicular homicide or manslaughter or something and whatever.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2010, 07:08
here's the ring leader http://thegoat.backcountry.com/2010/12/02/meth-addled-rednecks-who-beat-up-at-hikers-arrested/

TOW
12-06-2010, 07:48
here's the ring leader http://thegoat.backcountry.com/2010/12/02/meth-addled-rednecks-who-beat-up-at-hikers-arrested/
Looks just like his daddy.......

Old Hiker
12-06-2010, 08:32

Why, yes, sitting in a cell with criminals WILL prevent something - these 3 pukes from going out and assaulting other hikers for a while. Next time, they might decide that if they hide the bodies, no one will be able to prove a crime.

As for hanging out with me? No, thanks. I tend to stay away from people with long criminal histories. Just part of what my father told me: sleep with dogs and end up with fleas.

Now, letting them off with probation or community service could also encourage others to do the same thing: "look what Bubba, Bubba and Dumbbutt did and they didn't do nuthin' to them. Let's go find some hiker scum to beat on!"

Where's all the "let's legalize drugs in this country" crowd, by the way?

Lion King
12-06-2010, 11:04
WhyWhere's all the "let's legalize drugs in this country" crowd, by the way?

The people here may say that, but they are referring to weed, not meth/coke/herion/smck/crank/pcp..there is a difference.

fukc these three, they all will get a beatdown in prison and most likely because of they're ignorance, will get worse then a beating.

Mongoose2
12-06-2010, 18:37
I say string them up to a tree and smear honey & hang raw steaks on them. Let the trail take its revenge.

Let's not be too hasty with the steak and honey! Why don't you let me take care of the food, and you string em up!

wrongway_08
12-06-2010, 19:30
Shame is the reason why they have a crimminal record is because of the justice system giving them chances. I have full confidence in our justice system will screw these hikers over and give the attackers a few more chances before they do any time for any of the crimes. I don't like it but thats the way it works, most of the time.

But we can always hope the right thing happens and these two crimminals get lovin from bubba for the 50 years.

mweinstone
12-06-2010, 22:41
how can anyone think of forgiveness? its unheard of. why do you even say such things? a lack of any sort of sanity is how. your insane to think of leaniency.insane beyond hope. were doomed here folks. your watching the stuff hit the fan and getting up for popcorn. man i hope they get the book thrown at them. im praying to a very powerfull god for justice to be searved up . and anytime this happens again , i pray im in charge of excecutions. cause heres how i would searve it up.

jail forever. in a really bad jail. forever and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. plus infinity. times ever.

mweinstone
12-06-2010, 22:43
and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever. and ever.and ever. and ever.

Hobbler
12-07-2010, 22:18
Are you sure that would be long enough?

wornoutboots
12-08-2010, 09:57
If someone did know who the judge is it would be nice to write a few letters. I'd love for her/him to hear what the trail/wilderness means to us, our families & help them understand that there are solo women & men & familes with young children enjoying these trails. They really do need to be made examples of, I mean the wilderness is the refuge & solitude we seek to get away from these exact actions.

SassyWindsor
12-09-2010, 00:00
Have them hold targets at the next Damascus Turkey Shoot or 30 days in the electric chair, either should do the trick.

RGB
12-09-2010, 21:06

That's a cute notion. I have no intention of spending time with anyone that's as much as a waste of space and O2 as these three. I cannot in good conscience go the forgiveness and lets all hold hands and be friends route on this one. Let them rot. Hopefully they'll do something stupid in prison and are held longer or worse. I'm not a perfect person; I could care less what happens to these three (after they get locked up that is).

SassyWindsor
12-09-2010, 21:28
......I agree they need to be punished, but sitting in a cell with criminals isn't going to prevent anything.....

After conviction they will become criminals, and while sitting in jail they won't be able to harm anyone else. Lock'em up and let the victims hold the keys.

stranger
12-09-2010, 21:41
I agree that this crime is a cowardly, disgusting act. I also believe there needs to be consequences for these actions.

I disagree with any notion that prison is the answer. People come out of prison worse off then when they went in, sure we can all point to the absolute minimal amount of people who come out reformed, but the overwhelming majority come out beaten, unable to secure a good job, forever shamed, and this encourages many people to return to crime.

Locking up these people subjects them to a candid crew of other inmates, prison guards,etc.. who they can hurt as well.

I don't know what the answer is, but prison ain't it. Look at the amount of people in prisons in America??? IT'S NOT WORKING

Context is Everything

RGB
12-09-2010, 21:53
After conviction they will become criminals, and while sitting in jail they won't be able to harm anyone else. Lock'em up and let the victims hold the keys.

I don't know who said your quote, but it certainly wasn't me. Please be more careful and make sure you have the right name with the right quote.

RGB
12-09-2010, 21:54
It was Birch's quote, not mine.

SassyWindsor
12-09-2010, 22:08
It was Birch's quote, not mine.

I'm apologize, I have absolutely no idea how it happened, maybe a mod can edit my post, since I'm not able. Again, I'm sorry.

RGB
12-09-2010, 22:29
I'm apologize, I have absolutely no idea how it happened, maybe a mod can edit my post, since I'm not able. Again, I'm sorry.

No worries, just wanted everyone to know that my feelings are completely opposite of Birch's.

thebrothersgumm
12-09-2010, 23:40
Hey everybody! It's Whistle here with Double Dribble! We did get off the trail because of what happened in Damascus. Quite unfortunate. But we were both fine, just very very shaken.
We've been talking with the Damascus PD and with a law office there.
Thanks for all of your support! We miss you guys!

Happy Hiking!

Hobbler
12-09-2010, 23:59
"We are all brothers and brothers are there for brothers"

thebrothersgumm
12-10-2010, 00:00
Thanks Hobbler

The trail felt more like home than home did.

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2010, 00:04
Don't know you guys personally, but glad to hear you both came away from the attack as well as possible.

Hobbler
12-10-2010, 00:14
We all hope that they get the justice that they deserve. Getting away from society and it's problems is one of the reasons why we go on the trail. Sorry that you guys experienced so much pain. Hopefully, some good for hikers will come out of this...When convicted, at least they will not be "hiker huntin' " for a good long, long while.

Again, so sorry and all the best luck.

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2010, 00:37
I agree that this crime is a cowardly, disgusting act. I also believe there needs to be consequences for these actions.

I disagree with any notion that prison is the answer. People come out of prison worse off then when they went in, sure we can all point to the absolute minimal amount of people who come out reformed, but the overwhelming majority come out beaten, unable to secure a good job, forever shamed, and this encourages many people to return to crime.

Locking up these people subjects them to a candid crew of other inmates, prison guards,etc.. who they can hurt as well.

I don't know what the answer is, but prison ain't it. Look at the amount of people in prisons in America??? IT'S NOT WORKING

Context is Everything

Yeah, context is everything. They set out to harm people and record video of it for fun. What's that context? Let's see... Harm people for fun. Sounds like sociopath or "antisocial personality disorder". As prison is not the answer according to you, perhaps we could send them to live with you for their sentence. You could rehabilitate them while also taking responsibility for their actions while in their custody.:rolleyes:

Seriously, you note that their must be consequences for their behavior. They knew they were harming other people. They knew what they did was illegal prior to acting. There must be some severe negative feedback for this type behavior - a punishment. Taking away their freedom, other rights, and priviledges via incarceration is pretty much what we have.

I agree we should work on achieving better success in returning convicts to society, but before all that these people are violent criminals, and the punishment comes first.

Speakeasy TN
12-10-2010, 09:58

Context is Everything

The obvious fallacy in your argument is that before prison, all were upright, well adjusted citizens, who WERE capable of getting a good job. These guys in particular, and most prisoners in general, were miscreants before they were "the accused" and before they were criminals. Prison is for keeping "them" segregated from "us". VERY few are capable of being turned around by the time they are this far down that road. .02$

thebrothersgumm
12-10-2010, 12:01
As the victim, I agree. I don't think they need to go to prison for 20 years for what happened. I do think they need punishing. But not 20 years worth. The worst that happened to me was that I had a busted lip for a week. We were rather shaken, yes, and me more so that Double Dribble. But that's gone. And we weren't screaming for our lives or any of that ****. We got jumped. By a couple of punks who thought they were being cool.

The main reason I want them punished is because of what they did, I had to cut the greatest adventure of my life short. By 1500 miles. If I ever do get the chance to hike it again, rest assured I will. I think they should go to prison, for say at most 10 years. Hopefully, that will teach them something, they can get released and enjoy life from their late 20's on.

McPick
12-10-2010, 12:52
I had to cut the greatest adventure of my life short. By 1500 miles. If I ever do get the chance to hike it again, rest assured I will. I think they should go to prison, for say at most 10 years.

That and completely support your financial responsibilities while you finish your hike... (Yeah right) Judge??

Meanwhile, you guys stay on the high trail... It suits you.

Speakeasy TN
12-10-2010, 12:59
Hello Whistle
These guys may be sentenced to far more than your target of 10 years. Then it will be up to them if they can conduct themselves in a manner that justifies early release. If they can, great call it a lesson learned. If they can't, the people of Damascus don't deserve to have to put up with them, nor do future hikers in the area.

However it turns out, the best news is that both of you are O.K. now. Here's wishing you safe travels and a Happy Holiday season.

nitewalker
12-10-2010, 16:19
maybe 4 yrs service for the country over in one of our many war zones. some good old fashioned military training and discipline mite help. if they are in one of those hostile countries then they aint goin nowhere. they are going to stay with their unit so that they feel safe and dont get their a$$ shot off. just a thought.

brothersgumm, glad to hear you two are doing fine. may there be happier trails for you...............peace :D

Birc h
12-10-2010, 18:05
brothersgumm sorry that happened to you. You sound like you have a great outlook and have put it as much in the past as you can.

I have to go on the record to say I hate the fact that because of these ********, people may not feel safe being on the trail. It infuriates me that they thought it was ok to beat on innocent people.

If they have a history of violent crimes, then maybe they should be away from society. Honestly, it is very few people that are better coming out of prison than going in. I was just trying to think of a better solution in my earlier post.

The story of the mother and the drunk driver was an attempt to say that sometimes giving another chance pays off. I was envisioning these guys becoming advocates of the trail because they could see what it means to all of us. I guess that is probably not the reality of the situation.

SawnieRobertson
12-10-2010, 20:30
As the victim, I agree. I don't think they need to go to prison for 20 years for what happened. I do think they need punishing. But not 20 years worth. The worst that happened to me was that I had a busted lip for a week. We were rather shaken, yes, and me more so that Double Dribble. But that's gone. And we weren't screaming for our lives or any of that ****. We got jumped. By a couple of punks who thought they were being cool.

The main reason I want them punished is because of what they did, I had to cut the greatest adventure of my life short. By 1500 miles. If I ever do get the chance to hike it again, rest assured I will. I think they should go to prison, for say at most 10 years. Hopefully, that will teach them something, they can get released and enjoy life from their late 20's on.

Brothers, I too want to express my sadness that this outrageous attack occurred to you. I well remember one of my students whose personality went entirely downhill after he was mugged one evening after working at a theater. His formerly upbeat personality became flattened. Being out on the trail is a magnificent, exhilerating experience that gives many a certain calm within that lasts. That was ripped from you. Being here, being a part of the bringing of those three thugs to judgment, is important. And, I do wish that it would somehow make you able to hop back to the path of the white blazes in 2011. (Sort of like getting back on a horse after you've been thrown.)

One of the reports claims that the punks agreed to attack the NEXT HIKER who came along. That worries me in particular because of its being so wanton. The next hiker could have been a little old lady like me or blind Zero
Zero or a child. It is actually their good fortune that "the next hiker" was young, strong, and without handicaps that could have been more likely to lead to permanent disabiity or death. :welcome back to Virginia and the AT.
--Kinnickinic

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2010, 20:59
When and if they are found guilty and are sentenced, I feel that the punishment will more than likely not be appropriate for the crime. And so goes the Justice system.

They should in addition to what ever jail time that they might get, be made to do community service....Maybe under watchful eyes, of the law, they should be made to do some time cleaning up after trail days.
OR........
As they leave after the sentencing phase, all of us hikers should line up in gauntlet style outside on the courthouse steps and make shish-kabob out of the perps with our hiking poles...Now, that would be justice!

When they lawyer up the sentence will be negotiated with the prosecuter to time served to about two years. Depending on how the sentence judge is having a good day. Community service - isn't about fixing trails or shelters, its cleaning church's or landscaping type work. Stupid Boring Labor.

I'd be willing to bet they all get some prison time - and not just 364 days in a county jail either. Are they gonna lock 'em up for 25 or 60 years? No, not likely. But they are all gonna do some time.

According to the original article (http://www.swvatoday.com/news/article/county_men_charged_in_beating/8434/), "Reedy and Dean are each charged with two counts of malicious bodily injury, a class six felony that carries one to five years in prison and up to $2,500 fine for each count, and two counts of malicious wounding while being in a mob, a class three felony which carries five to 20 years in prison and up to $100,000 fine per charge."

According to this article (http://www2.tricities.com/business/2010/nov/24/third-suspect-arrested-random-beating-two-appalach-ar-675718/), "Blevins, who, according to court records has a lengthy and assorted criminal history, was on probation for assault and battery in an unrelated case, Nunley said. Both Reedy and Dean have unrelated drug charges pending.

In the hiker-bashing case, each of the men is charged with two counts of assault by a mob, a Class 3 felony, and two counts of felonious assault, a Class 5 felony. Blevins also is charged with obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

Combined, the charges each man faces carry a maximum sentence of 60 years in prison and more than $200,000 in fines.

Blevins and Reedy are being held at the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail in Abingdon; Dean is out on bond."

I can't imagine a judge suspending sentences in this case even if he/she could. The nature of the crime, going out and hunting down people to video tape them while beating them for fun, isn't going to go away with a sweet plea deal - especially for the guy with the prior A&B. It's all going to get noted in the sentencing worksheet. The guy with the prior(s) is going to do his original sentence for violating probation, plus whatever he gets on this. He's gonna be getting three squares a day for a number of years.

Dead on. You know your stuff.

trailhead stoning is due

Nice idea - I really like that - but its too close to Sharia Law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

Context is Everything

Stranger - do you know anything about living here in the USA? Worst post ever for WB. You have never been to a prison and you know nothing about the system. They belong there & they get to hang out with their friends.

The obvious fallacy in your argument is that before prison, all were upright, well adjusted citizens, who WERE capable of getting a good job. These guys in particular, and most prisoners in general, were miscreants before they were "the accused" and before they were criminals. Prison is for keeping "them" segregated from "us". VERY few are capable of being turned around by the time they are this far down that road. .02$

Agreed.

Luddite
12-10-2010, 21:15
People come out of prison worse off then when they went in, sure we can all point to the absolute minimal amount of people who come out reformed, but the overwhelming majority come out beaten, unable to secure a good job, forever shamed, and this encourages many people to return to crime.

I agree.

Its like what Johnny Depp said in Blow, "I went in with a Bachelor of marijuana, came out with a Doctorate of cocaine".

Feral Bill
12-10-2010, 21:22
maybe 4 yrs service for the country over in one of our many war zones. some good old fashioned military training and discipline mite help. if they are in one of those hostile countries then they aint goin nowhere. they are going to stay with their unit so that they feel safe and dont get their a$$ shot off. just a thought.

brothersgumm, glad to hear you two are doing fine. may there be happier trails for you...............peace :D

I really do not want that sort of people in our military. The men and women who join to serve deserve bettter.

FB

Miner
12-10-2010, 21:32
I don't get it. So we don't send a violent criminal to jail in case they become more violent? They planned to attack someone ahead of time. If we don't send that type of criminal to jail, who do we send?

Hobbler
12-10-2010, 23:28
Brothers...

Let's not forget that you 2 were the focus of a pre-meditated and filmed attack. You both were their random choice from a group selected by them(in this case they pre-selected and targeted hikers).

Why would they film the plan and include hikers unless they had a hate for hikers deep in their souls. A truly mis-guided gang effort. They were acting on what is missing in their lives and they are empty shells, jealous of your accomplishment ...The trail gives you challenges that you over-come and rewards you with its beauty and giving you self-confidence. You are complete,...You my friends, have it all!

I wish you both good luck with all that you have gone through and hope that you will be at peace with whatever sentence the fools receive. Let's hope that they get the maximum.

WHEN and not if you get back to the trail will be the true test that all is well in your hearts and minds. Here's looking to seeing you at some point along the trail...Soon!

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2010, 23:31
... People come out of prison worse off then when they went in, sure we can all point to the absolute minimal amount of people who come out reformed, but the overwhelming majority come out beaten, unable to secure a good job, forever shamed, and this encourages many people to return to crime....

I agree...

Whose Kool-aid are you drinking?

Even John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi could agree on this one - these boys need to be locked up and punished.

RGB
12-11-2010, 12:55
I really do not want that sort of people in our military. The men and women who join to serve deserve bettter.

FB

We should have penal battalions.

sheepdog
12-11-2010, 12:57
Whose Kool-aid are you drinking?

Even John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi could agree on this one - these boys need to be locked up and punished.
zacktly............

CrumbSnatcher
12-11-2010, 13:52

el31415
12-13-2010, 03:47
You can always write to the judge or the district attorney and voice you concern as a fellow hiker.
That a harsh sentence is required,

el31415
12-13-2010, 03:53
You can always write to the judge or the district attorney and voice you concern as a fellow hiker.

That a harsh sentence is required, as to discourage any future copy cat.
and how traumatic these even are not only for the victim but for all hikers,
I will never have taught that this can of gratuitous violence could occur in the wilderness.

el31415
12-13-2010, 04:06
a thank you note to the Police chief for arresting these scum bag
You can also write to
Chief: Bill Nunley
Damascus Police Department
P.O. Box 576
Damascus, VA 24236

Bucherm
12-13-2010, 04:33

So Stalinist Russia is the measure we're holding ourselves up to? No thanks.

RGB
12-13-2010, 06:27
So Stalinist Russia is the measure we're holding ourselves up to? No thanks.

Well it's better than paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for years just to kill the person ourselves. Waste not want not.

4eyedbuzzard
12-13-2010, 10:05
Criminals by definition don't make good soldiers. They don't follow rules. The movie The Dirty Dozen was based very loosely on an actual WWII US operation involving military convicts. Men were offered pardons for participating in a "suicide mission". After being dropped, they deserted. Go figure.

generoll
12-13-2010, 10:07
Criminals by definition don't make good soldiers. They don't follow rules. The movie The Dirty Dozen was based very loosely on an actual WWII US operation involving military convicts. Men were offered pardons for participating in a "suicide mission". After being dropped, they deserted. Go figure.

Got a source for this?

4eyedbuzzard
12-13-2010, 10:45
Got a source for this?
No, just something I heard or read once. So I looked into it a bit. And found that I'm likely passing on an urban legend. :o Sorry - Mea culpa.

There's a few stories. There was a group of American paratroop soldiers known as the "filthy thirteen" who did recon behind the lines type ops - but they were NOT convicted criminals. They just liked to drink and didn't like to follow rules and such. Most say that they were the inspiration for the purely fictional movie.

Then I found this at http://www.moviemistakes.com/film366/corrections:

"Bizarrely, this film is partially based upon a real incident - the ending of which is somewhat different to that in this film. Twelve US soldiers on death row or serving long prison terms were selected to undertake a highly dangerous mission behind enemy lines in France in 1944. One of the US Army officers responsible for them was Ernest Hemingway, another was - of all people. - Russ "Supervixens" Meyer. All twelve were intensively trained and then transferred to a transit camp near Caen to be prepared for their final mission. As soon as they landed on French soil, all twelve deserted.

This is apparently the reply/correction to the above: [During WW2, Hemingway was a war correspondent for Collier's magazine, while Meyer was a combat cameraman. Neither would have been given any degree of responsibility for a special mission. However, despite rumours to the contrary, no such mission ever took place. It's believed that the Dirty Dozen was inspired by a group of elite commandoes from the 101st Airborne Division, who were nicknamed the Filthy Thirteen and who were trained to demolish targets behind enemy lines. However, while the group had a reputation for hard drinking and fighting, and some did possess criminal records, unlike their fictional counterparts, none of them were convicts.]"

But I'll stick to my original conclusion anyway - criminals still don't make good soldiers.

sheepdog
12-13-2010, 13:46

Context is Everything

I've worked in jails and prisons for over 30 years. Roughly 40% get out of prison and do not come back. The other 60% are at least taken off the street and the public is protected during that time. The fear of going to prison keeps a lot of people from commiting crimes. Until someone finds an answer it is the best we have, especially for violent crimes.

Hobbler
12-13-2010, 14:08
"criminals still don't make good soldiers"....4eyed buzzard

I agree here.... We should not chance the lives of our armed forces by mixing the preps into their ranks. Following orders is probably not something that they would submit to willingly. Let alone give them access to a gun....Just too much risk!

I feel, the optimal effect in the sentence handed out could be realized by of course, giving them maximum jail time but also including some punishment to pay back their other debt for the emotional and physical suffering that the brothers endured and the over-all effect their act has to the Damascus community and the hiking population. There will be many who now come through Damascus with a renewed awareness of their safety on the trail...The awareness is probably a good thing.

Like I said, (in addition to) the prison sentence, they should be made (under an armed guard) to be doing some (Hiking/ Trail/ Ecological) forced labor, if they even have the “good behavior” to qualify for “chain gang type work”. Of course, nothing to do with a meet and greet the hikers, but, for a couple of days every year of their sentence be forced to clean up Damascus after“Trail Days”. That would make them think a little about what the trail is and means to hikers. There might be other (safe and controlled) ways that the perps could give back so that hikers and Damascus residents can be re-assured that there is a message being sent. I would welcome to hear some others from all of you.

Surely, some hikers might be doing their planning with a heavy heart and might feel that if not Damascus it could happen elsewhere along our favorite footpath. I hope that all will overcome their being skiddy on the trail and can feel safe.

As for the these perps, can they be rehabilitated? I doubt it but, who knows? Some thing has to be done with them...and yes, prison is what there is right now....However, they will be out someday....

Think about it!....Your tent, tarp, hammock or other shelter can be likened to your home....and along that idea, this was a kind of home invasion.

But....First things First!...There needs to be a just punishment and some sort of message sent.

Dances with Mice
12-13-2010, 16:10
There's some Damascus residents on-line here and in that town everybody knows everyone. And one comment I haven't heard from them is "They say those guys did it? What a surprise! It's so unlike them, they're all such good boys!"

And there's probably a reason we haven't seen anyone write that.

Monkeyboy
12-13-2010, 17:03
There's some Damascus residents on-line here and in that town everybody knows everyone. And one comment I haven't heard from them is "They say those guys did it? What a surprise! It's so unlike them, they're all such good boys!"

And there's probably a reason we haven't seen anyone write that.

I agree....

Hobbler
12-13-2010, 17:48
Being a small, town everybody probably does know everyone. If that is true, most of the town knows their history with the law and also the rumors of what they didn't get caught at. Right...there is nobody defending the perps in any way because doing the deed is not out of the question and well within the probability of the truth. They have not grown up being "Such Good Boys"

Bucherm
12-14-2010, 00:46
Well it's better than paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for years just to kill the person ourselves. Waste not want not.

Riddle me this, Batman, what role would you have them in? In WW2 Penal Battallions were used to clear minefields, something that we typically don't have to worry about.

Counterinsurgency? I'm sure sending off a bunch of criminals to "win hearts and minds" makes sense.

Mind, I'm not into the whole "let's make an army of slaves" that you seem to be advocating. The reason why the US Military is better than others is not because of equipment(although that is important), it's because the DoD makes a huge investment in training and payroll to attract and retain high quality personnel.

Why on earth would you spend that much cash on a bunch of jackholes who beat up hikers for fun? Or folks who are on death row? You really think that would be cheaper than imprisionment or death row?

If you don't give those penal battalion folks the training or equipment, you still have to cover the living expenses and you are now diluting the overall quality of the military. Again, even covering 3 meals a day and barracks space I doubt that it would be cheaper than being in the state pen. We also wouldn't get a return on the investment because, again, the US Military is not a swarm of infantry with Mosin-nagants and our enemy is not a swarm of infantry with Mausers. There isn't exactly a niche out there for penal battalions.

I might add that you would have to hire trustworthy personnel to watch over the penal battalion(and fear for his/her own life). Since this isn't Stalinist Russia, you may find that the US Military will come up with a shortage of people willing to be commissioned officers in order to oversee a bunch of criminals.

Yeesh!

Like I said, (in addition to) the prison sentence, they should be made (under an armed guard) to be doing some (Hiking/ Trail/ Ecological) forced labor, if they even have the “good behavior” to qualify for “chain gang type work”. Of course, nothing to do with a meet and greet the hikers, but, for a couple of days every year of their sentence be forced to clean up Damascus after“Trail Days”. That would make them think a little about what the trail is and means to hikers. There might be other (safe and controlled) ways that the perps could give back so that hikers and Damascus residents can be re-assured that there is a message being sent. I would welcome to hear some others from all of you.

I agree, work-release should fit the crime. Trail maintenance can be tough work, as can cleaning up after a big event like Trail Days. A high (foot)traffic area like Damascus practically screams for a chance of them wearing orange jumpsuits picking up garbage.

Being a small, town everybody probably does know everyone. If that is true, most of the town knows their history with the law and also the rumors of what they didn't get caught at. Right...there is nobody defending the perps in any way because doing the deed is not out of the question and well within the probability of the truth. They have not grown up being "Such Good Boys"

Heh, I've noticed that too. Everyone is taking the "If you can't say something nice..." route.

RGB
12-14-2010, 00:54
Just an off the cuff comment. Glad to see you've embraced it with such candor! :p

Bucherm
12-14-2010, 01:13
Just an off the cuff comment. Glad to see you've embraced it with such candor! :p

I work the mids shift in a guv'ment NOC, I literally have nowhere else to be at this time of night. :banana

RGB
12-14-2010, 01:45
I work the mids shift in a guv'ment NOC, I literally have nowhere else to be at this time of night. :banana

I have a similar sitting-for-hours-on-end job. If I was there I probably would have posted a longer reply. ;)

hobbs
12-14-2010, 02:13
well thats one way to keep up during your shift. I take it its slow in the NOC?

Bucherm
12-14-2010, 02:35
well thats one way to keep up during your shift. I take it its slow in the NOC?

Small network, but since we support folks overseas we're manned 24/7. Oftentimes it's a bit like those "Maytag repairman" commercials around here.

Basically we swing between feast and famine with no middle.

hobbs
12-14-2010, 02:50
[QUOTE=Bucherm;1079676]Small network, but since we support folks overseas we're manned 24/7. Oftentimes it's a bit like those "Maytag repairman" commercials around here.

Basically we swing between feast and famine with no middle.[/QU

I worked a Mars station like that out at Irwin for a tour. Boreing. Called friends all the time till. I was Transfered.

Hobbler
12-14-2010, 10:03
"I agree, work-release should fit the crime. Trail maintenance can be tough work, as can cleaning up after a big event like Trail Days. A high (foot)traffic area like Damascus practically screams for a chance of them wearing orange jumpsuits picking up garbage"......Bucherm

Yeah!.... and being seen by so many Damascus townspeople in their orange jumpsuits will have an uncomfortable effect on their psyche and further drive home the fact that they ganged-up on two defenseless hikers and gave Damascus a black eye.

Let's not stop with Damascus though. Anywhere along the trail where security could be maintained might work. Only have them do the “Grunt or Hard Labor” type of work....Trail work is hard, and a good possibility for them wearing their blaze orange suits...However, I am a little concerned with the escape possibilities. Might require 2 shotguns and 2 officers...Of course the officers need to be in reasonably good shape....Although any project that requires material to be carried into an area for say a shelter repair would keep their hands busy and give their legs a taste of what it is to be on the trail with a loaded pack and thus a greater appreciation of the “Hiker”

Better yet...Schedule them to do nothing but privy duty (“Doody”) and make them carry materials on the way in. And when there is a relocation of a privy, make them at least dig a new pit by hand so that the volunteers don't have to do it. Now that would be doing for hikers. I feel that the hiker population would feel that this, in addition to their prison sentence, would be justice being served.

Bucherm
12-15-2010, 00:36
Yeah!.... and being seen by so many Damascus townspeople in their orange jumpsuits will have an uncomfortable effect on their psyche and further drive home the fact that they ganged-up on two defenseless hikers and gave Damascus a black eye.

Three is "so many?" According to wikipedia(I know, I know) Damascus had a population of 981. That's less than half of a percent.

Maybe trailwork is wishful thinking on my part, but having them clean up after Trail Days wouldn't be a Bad Thing.

4eyedbuzzard
12-15-2010, 01:02
My BIL did a 3 year stip + about 18 mo served on a 5 - 15 for armed robbery. Work details outside in the fresh air, and actually doing something other than being in your cell or the yard, especially away from roads and under minimum supervision / guard like you guys are talking about are reserved for prisoners who are near release and aren't an escape risk. These three may eventually get into such a detail, but my guess would be not for a while. Apparently they have differences in their criminal involvement and histories too, which may play into sentencing and even the nature of their incarceration.

If they had only committed a crime against property, like stealing, it might be different - but with a crime against persons a physical assault against a person has been committed. The justice system treats the two types of crimes very differently. I don't think you'll see any of these three on the trail anytime soon.

M1 Thumb
12-15-2010, 09:29
I have to disagree with those that fear a long punishment will make them a better criminal, thus shouldn't be given hard time, and those that think that it may be better to put them on the AT to work off their debt to society.

They have shown themselves to be mindless and rabid in their actions. Fortunately this incident did not end as badly as it could have. What if they had crossed paths with a lone female or elderly hiker first? Would there be talk of a more lenient punishment then?

Mizirlou
12-15-2010, 10:11
As the victim...I don't think they need to go to prison for 20 years for what happened. I do think they need punishing. But not 20 years worth. The worst that happened to me was that I had a busted lip for a week. We were rather shaken, yes, and me more so that Double Dribble. But that's gone. And we weren't screaming for our lives or any of that ****. We got jumped. By a couple of punks who thought they were being cool.

I’m with Whistle and Double Dribble, TheBrothersGumm.

When criminal freaks don’t get court ordered intervention, their crimes tend to escalate.

Such as the young man who fooled with the system too long and got away with light taps from the court, until one day a game officer encountered the emboldened petty criminal in the woods. No one was looking so he took the leap: he wrested the gun from her hands, breaking her fingers, then shot her dead. It took 25 years to carry out the sentence but those close to the case finally got relief when he uttered his last words in the death chamber this year.

I got my relief. I wish the same for TheBrothersGumm, to whatever degree that gives them peace.

Hobbler
12-15-2010, 10:50
Three is "so many?" According to wikipedia(I know, I know) Damascus had a population of 981. That's less than half of a percent.

Maybe trailwork is wishful thinking on my part, but having them clean up after Trail Days wouldn't be a Bad Thing.

I was referring to them being uncomfortable being seen by any of the townspeople, that might view them doing the cleanup after Trail Days. After-all, they live there. Hopefully, many of the locals (neighbors and friends) would witness their cleaning up. Not just 3. A lot probably would show up along with some from the hiker population to see justice being carried out.

Hobbler
12-15-2010, 11:01
My BIL did a 3 year stip + about 18 mo served on a 5 - 15 for armed robbery. Work details outside in the fresh air, and actually doing something other than being in your cell or the yard, especially away from roads and under minimum supervision / guard like you guys are talking about are reserved for prisoners who are near release and aren't an escape risk. These three may eventually get into such a detail, but my guess would be not for a while. Apparently they have differences in their criminal involvement and histories too, which may play into sentencing and even the nature of their incarceration.

If they had only committed a crime against property, like stealing, it might be different - but with a crime against persons a physical assault against a person has been committed. The justice system treats the two types of crimes very differently. I don't think you'll see any of these three on the trail anytime soon.

I still think that making them do the Trail Days cleanup yearly could be done and would be a fitting part of their punishment. Especially since the corrections department would have the aid of the local law enforcement right there to supply additional manpower.

Trail work for them, on second thought, might be a huge logistic problem when it comes to safety. And as pointed out, they did do a crime against persons not against property...That does make them more dangerous to the population. Maybe later in their sentence they will be given a chance to smell some fresh air and do other supervised work.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2010, 11:58
making them do TD cleanup or trail work is a bunch of horse crap. these guys all have extensive criminal records. they need to do hard time in a prison and not county lockup. period

Skidsteer
12-15-2010, 12:52

Hey! Hey! Hey!

Don't ask, Don't tell.

Hobbler
12-16-2010, 10:21
making them do TD cleanup or trail work is a bunch of horse crap. these guys all have extensive criminal records. they need to do hard time in a prison and not county lockup. period

LW...I usually agree with your comments and since you know these boys on a level that most of us don't, I will defer and do agree with your "hard time in prison" assessment. However, I have not, nor will advocate merely them being in a county lock up. Charges and convictions brought on them should be of the nature that they become wards of the State or Federal corrections system.

pistol p
12-16-2010, 22:16
making them do TD cleanup or trail work is a bunch of horse crap.......They need to do hard time in a prison and not county lockup. period

Couldn't agree more, LW. I am tired of people not learning from their "mistakes". The difference between humans and animals, is that humans are supposedly know better. It's funny how a dog can be put down for biting a human, which the dog doesn't know any better. Where as a human can abuse, rape, and murder other humans, and they get locked up in a kennel...on my dime. And then, released back into population.

I would take a biting dog down the street, any day.

I feel like watching some Clint Eastwood...Hang 'Em High, anyone?

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2010, 22:27
I feel like watching some Clint Eastwood...Hang 'Em High, anyone?

So many criminals, so few purveyors of justice. ;)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:HBWW-SdfylRm5M:http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/rutledal/Death_Wish_21.jpg&t=1

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 08:41
off to court to see how blind justice is. i'll give a report when i get back

DLANOIE
12-22-2010, 08:48
Good luck LW!

Doc Mike
12-22-2010, 09:25
LW thanks for taking the time to attend court, and I like many others await yor report,

Doc mike

Hobbler
12-22-2010, 10:21
LW...Your time attending the court is greatly appreciated by all of us in the trail community who don't have the ability to attend today's proceedings....Let's hope that there is not the usual delay tactic motions and putting off to, another re-schedued date, kind of crap. Maybe the judge will see the merits of swift justice and will encourage the trial to move along.

Looking forward to hearing what you find out!...

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 11:37
case continued til 26 January at 9AM. according to an officer the witnesses couldn't fly due to bad weather

Hobbler
12-22-2010, 11:48
Thanks so much for the update LW. Well it wasn't due to Lawyer manipulation, at least this time. The brothers deserve to get their time in court soon! The healing must begin so that they can get justice and hopefully back to the trail. Even Mother Nature is having a hand with this added month before trial.

Keep us posted...Thanks again LW

Red Hat
12-22-2010, 11:50
My personal opinion is: I don't think the brothers will be there in January either. They just want this thing to go away and to be left alone. It's a long, expensive trip from Montana.

the goat
12-22-2010, 11:51
My personal opinion is: I don't think the brothers will be there in January either. They just want this thing to go away and to be left alone. It's a long, expensive trip from Montana.

the town is paying for their trip expenses.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 12:13

they're not paying a dime for flights, meals or lodging.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 12:15
the town is paying for their trip expenses.
and the Commonwealth of Virginia in turn will reimburse the town

58starter
12-22-2010, 15:53
Do we need to start a fund for them? I am sure with all of the interest, we can all send Lone Wolf money to give to them when they arrive for the trail. Just send me an address Lone Wolf and I will start with the first $20.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 16:45
Do we need to start a fund for them?

no fund is needed

mweinstone
12-23-2010, 01:18
i belive the brothers will come because its part of being a good american, a good hiker and a good person. to not come would be to loose these folks future possible crimes on others.and who wouldnt want to come back to a place you were wronged and leave with a feeling of haveing been done right. then theirs the issue of peer pressure. they would be really apreciated and shown alot of curtisys when they hike next and thats good peer presure. we all understand that if someone gets their pack stolen, the outfitters step up and give gear as do all of us want to right the wrongs our trail may have dished out to a few. we care about our trails reputation and we care about the exsperience of each visitor to it. thats the espri de corps we share and defend. thats why i picked the hiking community to share my life with. in a word, were careing.

4eyedbuzzard
12-23-2010, 10:28
i belive the brothers will come because its part of being a good american, a good hiker and a good person. to not come would be to loose these folks future possible crimes on others.and who wouldnt want to come back to a place you were wronged and leave with a feeling of haveing been done right. . .
:clap :clap :clap

sparky2000
12-23-2010, 11:07
The jail system doesn't cure anyone - it hardens the criminally insane - Kick ass and take names is still the best justice.

Snoring Sarge
12-23-2010, 11:27
Fellow hikers

The real reason these thugs need to do real time is to protect the rest of the community from other would be-thugs.

Justice is not retribution for the victims of a crime.

That said,

I for one, am all for the the hikers having getting 20 minutes alone with the thugs pilloried. "oh look someone left a couple cattle prods...":banana

JEBjr
12-23-2010, 12:10
It often difficult getting a victim that lives beside the
courthouse to interupt their life to show up in court, even when they took the time to initate the case originally. But I am thankful the Court granted the Commonwealth more time.

Green
01-04-2011, 17:38
Man the two guys that got beaten up are from my town. Crazy.

SassyWindsor
01-11-2011, 11:16
Damascus trio accused in trail beating may not be prosecuted

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/jan/10/damascus-trio-accused-trail-beating-may-not-be-pro-ar-766200/

WalkingStick75
01-11-2011, 15:14
Prosecutors wont provide transportation or they do not want to come back?

Sly
01-11-2011, 15:29

The article said they were "uncertain if they'd be able" which leads me to believe either they can't get the time off work or don't have the money.

You'd think with a video tape and a sworn affidavit, the state would be able to try, if not convict. Since the hikers just left like they did, maybe they just want to put the incident behind them.

mad4scrapping
01-11-2011, 15:31
This makes me so sad for the hikers and really angry also. I'm not one for vigilante justice, but sometimes I wish I knew a guy who knew a guy . . . if you know what I mean.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2011, 15:33

most likely the latter. the commonwealth was gonna pick up the tab

max patch
01-11-2011, 15:44
You'd think with a video tape and a sworn affidavit, the state would be able to try, if not convict.

Sworn affidavits only work on tv shows. Can't cross examine a piece of paper in a real courtroom.

the goat
01-11-2011, 17:13
maybe the brothers just don't care anymore that they got the crap beaten out of them months and months ago.

Sly
01-11-2011, 18:04
maybe the brothers just don't care anymore that they got the crap beaten out of them months and months ago.

We'll just have to hope karma catches up with the trio.

Cookerhiker
01-11-2011, 18:07
Have the prosecutors been trying to negotiate a plea bargain?

Sly
01-11-2011, 18:08
Sworn affidavits only work on tv shows. Can't cross examine a piece of paper in a real courtroom.

If they're willing to pay for their expenses, then the Commonwealth should subpoena the brothers.

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 19:44
then they would have whats termed a" hostile witness". they dont want that.

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 19:49
the thing we might concider is contact with the brothers. let them know how important is is they be a part of our community and show them their not alone by filling the courtroom. a letter campaign to the brothers might work. exsplaine how this will affect all hikers and that a precident need be set.help them with transport if possible.someone may feel like going and getting them. maby?as broke as i am, i got 5 bucks for gas and food and lodging.

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 19:52
a three day fundraising party in damascus where we dont drink or get out of controll would be something that would keep the trails reputation from turning to mush.no?ending on court day. ookay one day event.with drinking. no nooses allowed.

Speakeasy TN
01-11-2011, 20:23
We'll just have to hope karma catches up with the trio.

If the brothers leave these thugs out there to prey on other hikers, I hope karma catches them too. IMHO they OWE it to all of us to take a stand. If not they are part of the problem............... flame away if you feel the need.:mad:

pistol p
01-11-2011, 20:33
((If the brothers leave these thugs out there to prey on other hikers, I hope karma catches them too. IMHO they OWE it to all of us to take a stand. If not they are part of the problem............... flame away if you feel the need.))

If it's a matter of $$$, I can kind of understand. (they have know about this for long enough to access the cash). If it's just not wanting to, actions such those would only allow these thugs to think it's alright to do this kind of thing again. Stupid people don't learn...that's why they are called stupid.

Brothers!! Stand up for yourselves.

It is legal in the U.S. for witnesses to testify via live video feed. It is all a matter if the judge will allow such testimony in his/her courtroom. I have heard/read about it in rape cases and cases that involve children vs. adults. I also believe this will be the wave of the future. It'll save a lot of time and money in processing cases.

We'll see, I hope they don't get off.:mad:

Sly
01-11-2011, 20:37
It is legal in the U.S. for witnesses to testify via live video feed. It is all a matter if the judge will allow such testimony in his/her courtroom. I have heard/read about it in rape cases and cases that involve children vs. adults. I also believe this will be the wave of the future. It'll save a lot of time and money in processing cases.

We'll see, I hope they don't get off.

Good point and something I was going to ask about.

Sly
01-11-2011, 20:43
If the brothers leave these thugs out there to prey on other hikers, I hope karma catches them too. IMHO they OWE it to all of us to take a stand. If not they are part of the problem............... flame away if you feel the need.:mad:

You'd take your vacation days to travel 2000 miles round trip to go to court in the hopes of putting three punks in jail?

max patch
01-11-2011, 23:53
If they're willing to pay for their expenses, then the Commonwealth should subpoena the brothers.

Thats a good idea.

TrailSquirrel
01-11-2011, 23:59
Thats a good idea.

Sounds like the police have invested a significant amount of time in the investigation

max patch
01-12-2011, 00:00
You'd take your vacation days to travel 2000 miles round trip to go to court in the hopes of putting three punks in jail?

Absolutely. Also, with a criminal conviction they can then easily get a civil settlement.

thebrothersgumm
01-12-2011, 02:01
We are not attending the trial. We are both currently working and attending school full time. We do not have time for this. It is unfortunate that it happened to us. However, we have moved on. Gotten over it. I realize that this is a "blow" to the trail community, but think of it from our stand point. We didn't realize that it was planned out. Even if it was, big whoop. I'm willing to bet that it was some local punks who were bored of their small town life, and thought they would do something fun for a night. I doubt there is any "deep-hatred" for hikers or any of that nonsense. Just some punks fooling around.

Do I think they need punishing? Yes. But not from the prison system. That will do them no good. I've had time to think on all of this, and I've come to a realization. If we do go down and testify, we will ruin the rest of their lives. They did not ruin mine, what right do I have to ruin theirs? To quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that"

Red Hat has the right idea. We just want this thing to go away. All of you can see this clearly from your own point of view, that of a hiker. But what about the point of view of a teenage punk in small town America? To quote a man I admire, but don't quite believe in, turn the other cheek.

Happy Hiking all!

kanga
01-12-2011, 09:03
We are not attending the trial. We are both currently working and attending school full time. We do not have time for this. It is unfortunate that it happened to us. However, we have moved on. Gotten over it. I realize that this is a "blow" to the trail community, but think of it from our stand point. We didn't realize that it was planned out. Even if it was, big whoop. I'm willing to bet that it was some local punks who were bored of their small town life, and thought they would do something fun for a night. I doubt there is any "deep-hatred" for hikers or any of that nonsense. Just some punks fooling around.

Do I think they need punishing? Yes. But not from the prison system. That will do them no good. I've had time to think on all of this, and I've come to a realization. If we do go down and testify, we will ruin the rest of their lives. They did not ruin mine, what right do I have to ruin theirs? To quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that"

Red Hat has the right idea. We just want this thing to go away. All of you can see this clearly from your own point of view, that of a hiker. But what about the point of view of a teenage punk in small town America? To quote a man I admire, but don't quite believe in, turn the other cheek.

Happy Hiking all!
while i truly admire your moral attitude about the situation, i can't help but wonder if you are doing the next victims of these guys any favors.

max patch
01-12-2011, 10:09
Thats a good idea.

This is what needs to happen.

max patch
01-12-2011, 10:10

This is what needs to happen.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2011, 10:49
Maybe these perps will try this stunt again on the wrong person(s). From the sounds of it this is not the end of their criminal career.

I'm not sure about the legal process of subpoena, would be interesting for a legal-type to chime in.

Serial 07
01-12-2011, 10:51

Happy Hiking all!

you have the right to do what ever you want, and i can understand that you don't have the time or just want to move on...BUT, your assumptions about these people, about your role in this, and what type of punishment they deserve is off base...

read the new articles, these are NOT FIRST TIME OFFENDERS! this isn't some kids just bored with life...2 of them are CRIMINALS and the other hangs around CRIMINALS and video tapes their crimes...many people in DAMASCUS are praying that Randy Ray Blevins goes to jail for a long time, he has been committing crimes of various nature for a long time around here...

you have no idea what the local community thinks of THRU HIKERS, and to assume you have any idea what these 3 think is asinine...THEY DON'T LIKE HIKERS! the fact that this was planned out IS a big deal, i don't understand why you don't see that...these 3 made choices and need to be punished...again, this is not their first acts of crime...did you know that when they were busted, they found cash, drugs, stolen property and random prescription drugs? this isn't a small time thing!

Damascus is a great community to live in, but don't think for a second that everyone is excited when thru hikers start coming around or when trail days is here...it's the local hikers, most businesses and a few people from abroad that make this town what it is for the hiking community...you are assuming a lot about a place you have no idea about...

feel free to turn a cheek on this one, but I would not be surprised if someone else's cheek, wallet or personal property is abused because of these 3...

UGH! i woulda been a lot better off hearing that you didn't have the time or the resources to get down here, but your other nonsensical rhetoric and stupid movie quotes makes me so MAD! this is a REAL crime that needs to be addressed...i'm sorry that i'm not in your position, so yeah, it's easy for me to talk from way over here...but these boys need to be punished, BY THE SYSTEM, and your lack of fully grasping the situation as it is now, is unfortunate...

i hope you guys are now doing well and have fully moved on from this incident though...damascus isn't just these boneheads!

Sly
01-12-2011, 11:05
..did you know that when they were busted, they found cash, drugs, stolen property and random prescription drugs? this isn't a small time thing!

If that's the case the court system can put them away for those offenses.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2011, 11:05
What Serial said.....

rhjanes
01-12-2011, 11:08
to thebrothersgumm, Please reconsider putting these three criminals in jail. If you don't, I hope it won't be a relative of your's that they permanently injure or even kill when they bash in someone's head.

Dobie Swift
01-12-2011, 11:18
Looks like this story has the wolves and the sheep covered. It's a pity, the "brothers" coulda been sheepdogs. Alas, we sheepdogs are a dying breed.

If you are unclear on my reference, read the following essay: http://www.mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

CaseyB
01-12-2011, 11:21
Serial-love ya buddy but I have to disagree:
I think everybody should take it easy on the Gumm Bros., they were the victims of the beating & if they have gotten over it to the point that it is not worth a trip here to prosecute, so be it.
As for Ray-Ray & his buddies....yep, I would have loved to have seen him sent to jail. This guy is a problem for everybody around here; this is just his 1st (known) offence against a hiker. Theft, Violence, Drugs, -not to mention riding his 4-wheeler on the Iron Mtn Trail- all part of this guys lifestyle.
Something needs to be done about the punks, but I don't think it's fair to get mad at someone who lives in Montana & once got beat up & doesn't want to fly back for court.

thebrothersgumm
01-12-2011, 11:30
You realize what you all call a beating was 3-4 punches each? doesn't sound like much of a beating to me. sounds like an act of cowardice. If they do act later, then the system has every right to punish them then. However, I want no part of it. If they were found with cash, drugs and stolen property, that alone should be enough to put them away, and shouldn't even require us. I appreciate all the insults and all that they do is make me look down on the hiker community and those that say them.

I seriously doubt some kids who suckerpunched us one night will be evolving that to killing and murder.

Serial - How is what i say nonsense? That I don't want to ruin someone's life that hit me three times? How does that not make sense? Please tell me.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2011, 11:37
Hey everybody! It's Whistle here with Double Dribble! We did get off the trail because of what happened in Damascus. Quite unfortunate. But we were both fine, just very very shaken.
We've been talking with the Damascus PD and with a law office there.
Thanks for all of your support! We miss you guys!

Happy Hiking!
Just some sucker punches, yet you got off the trail very very shaken:confused:

Lone Wolf
01-12-2011, 11:42
Wolf: Love you too, buddy.

They can't be expected to know the entire recent history of Damascus.....only what they've been through. Let's worry about public dipsh%t #1 and let these guys move on.

they can easily do a search of Virginia's court system and look up the perps and see ray ray has no less than 30 charges in the last 5 years

Lion King
01-12-2011, 11:52
I understand them not wanting to come down, maybe its forgiveness, maybe its pure fear of some other retaliation maybe they liked getting hit a few times, I really dont know.

It was enough to make you quit your hike, kill your AT dream and run home, but not enough to make a stand to protect others? Thats ridiculous.

That is a big issue, when any of these three kill or beat into a coma someone soon, remember that you let it go. The state and county there put a lot of time and money into trying to getting the people that came after you and youre willing it let it go.

This is a major moral delima, good hearted on your sides, but stupid as hell and this makes you have a hand in the future issues that others will suffer because of it.

When you read in the paper about a trail days two years from now where a NEW group of four or five ******** beat to death a couple of hikers walking back to the campground at 3 am because they saw that they could get away with it, remember your choice not to step up.

mick2360
01-12-2011, 12:00
You realize what you all call a beating was 3-4 punches each? doesn't sound like much of a beating to me. sounds like an act of cowardice. If they do act later, then the system has every right to punish them then. However, I want no part of it. If they were found with cash, drugs and stolen property, that alone should be enough to put them away, and shouldn't even require us. I appreciate all the insults and all that they do is make me look down on the hiker community and those that say them.

I seriously doubt some kids who suckerpunched us one night will be evolving that to killing and murder.

Serial - How is what i say nonsense? That I don't want to ruin someone's life that hit me three times? How does that not make sense? Please tell me.

A planned and videotaped assault is a very concerning pattern of behavior. As a victim of violence, you have been through a lot and few of us can pretend to know what we would do in your spot, although there are a few here that would have made these predators pay dearly. It is your decision and you appear to have made it. Just do so with the understanding that at least one of these men sounds like a very serious breed of cat. Once this type experiences the 'rush' of predatory violence, it is often 'game on'. He will hurt someone and likely worse than three or four punches. Don't underestimate the harm that will befall others. You have a chance to lessen that probability.

I wish you all the best. That being said, many of us would have put our own safety at risk to interrupt your victimization. I know I would have and at 50 years of age, I would have viewed it as my responsibility to a fellow hiker. I am reacting strongly because these men need to be held to account for their planned predation and violent behavior. You were attacked because you were outnumbered and vulnerable. God help the next young man or woman confronted by these thugs.

I pray that you consider the next victim. You can lessen the chances of this happening to another. Don't think for a minute this is over. Sadly, it is YOUR PART that appears to be over.

Be well,
Mick

Thatguy
01-12-2011, 12:11

TheBrothersGumm you have to realize YOU aren't ruining someone's life...THEY ruined their own life by their actions. What YOUR actions have stated to those who would attack hickers is "Don't worry if you hit them 3 times because they won't do anything." I say hikers shouldn't be hit at all. You have a right to hike the AT without such an experience. You've let the hiker community down and now other hikers may have to pay the price for YOUR actions.

WalkinHome
01-12-2011, 12:23
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

TheChop
01-12-2011, 12:44
I'll throw my hat in for understanding where the brothers are coming from. There's no guarantee that they would get a trial date, fly to Damascus only to see the trial bumped ahead. Testifying in court could end up hurting them more than the initial crime.

Putting some guilt trip on them that this dude is a bad guy and needs to go away for a long time doesn't work either. They are the victims of a specific crime and not years of general asshatery from someone. They are only morally responsible for that. You guys also act like the system would throw these dudes in jail for years which is simply not going to happen due to an incident like this. At most it's a few months in jail. Yes they were charged with very serious felonies but that's how prosecutors do it. You charge with the highest crime you think you could maybe convict on and then go from there.

Either way you guys aren't the victims here.

Sly
01-12-2011, 12:51
they can easily do a search of Virginia's court system and look up the perps and see ray ray has no less than 30 charges in the last 5 years

Well, why is he out of jail. It seems like the people in the court system need a whooping as much as anybody. Direct your anger at them.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2011, 12:53
Well, why is he out of jail. It seems like the people in the court system need a whooping as much as anybody. Direct your anger at them.
whatever :rolleyes:

thebrothersgumm
01-12-2011, 12:55
Thank you The Chop. You actually see what I am saying. If this ******* ray ray has commited other crimes before, and has a record, then WHY ISNT HE IN JAIL ALREADY?

All of these comments looking down on me and my brother completey ruin my picture of the hiking community. What happened to Hike your own Hike?

You're blaming me for what happens in the future? Yes, it is me that makes the decision not to act on sending them to prison because I don't believe that prison will help them in the least. Why can't you respect my opinion and leave it at that? It will not be my fault if someone does get hurt in the future. I forgave them for what happened. It seems that not everyone can however, and that makes me upset.

A subpoena will only serve to make us both angry. As for having the SYSTEM take care of them and being a good American? I went to the trail to get out of the American lifestyle. I am not a fan of America or its system. I do not think that it works.

So whiteblaze, insult and attempt to bully me all you want. It it futile and upsets me that hikers will sink so low. I am trying to be the bigger man here by not retaliating, but I guess that train of thought has never caught on, now has it?

Sly
01-12-2011, 12:57
whatever :rolleyes:

Whatever? If they've been charged as many times as you say, *** are these guys doing out of jail? It sounds like they shouldn't have been on the streets to begin with.

Y'all can bitch and moan at the Brothers Gumm and it's not going to make a difference. Start screaming at the DA and the judge and it may.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2011, 13:00
Whatever? If they've been charged as many times as you say, *** are these guys doing out of jail? It sounds like they shouldn't have been on the streets to begin with.

whatever. quit trolling

TOW
01-12-2011, 13:10

Happy Hiking all!well said and understood.........

the goat
01-12-2011, 13:14
like i said, they don't care about it anymore and have moved on, if the brothers don't give a **** about it anymore, why should anyone else?

it's a pretty monumental inconvenience for them to make that trip, given their situation, to aid in the prosecution of some sucker-punches landed months ago.

if they're willing to let it go, i'm pretty sure we can all let it go too.

TOW
01-12-2011, 13:16
you have the right to do what ever you want, and i can understand that you don't have the time or just want to move on...BUT, your assumptions about these people, about your role in this, and what type of punishment they deserve is off base...

read the new articles, these are NOT FIRST TIME OFFENDERS! this isn't some kids just bored with life...2 of them are CRIMINALS and the other hangs around CRIMINALS and video tapes their crimes...many people in DAMASCUS are praying that Randy Ray Blevins goes to jail for a long time, he has been committing crimes of various nature for a long time around here...

you have no idea what the local community thinks of THRU HIKERS, and to assume you have any idea what these 3 think is asinine...THEY DON'T LIKE HIKERS! the fact that this was planned out IS a big deal, i don't understand why you don't see that...these 3 made choices and need to be punished...again, this is not their first acts of crime...did you know that when they were busted, they found cash, drugs, stolen property and random prescription drugs? this isn't a small time thing!

Damascus is a great community to live in, but don't think for a second that everyone is excited when thru hikers start coming around or when trail days is here...it's the local hikers, most businesses and a few people from abroad that make this town what it is for the hiking community...you are assuming a lot about a place you have no idea about...

feel free to turn a cheek on this one, but I would not be surprised if someone else's cheek, wallet or personal property is abused because of these 3...

UGH! i woulda been a lot better off hearing that you didn't have the time or the resources to get down here, but your other nonsensical rhetoric and stupid movie quotes makes me so MAD! this is a REAL crime that needs to be addressed...i'm sorry that i'm not in your position, so yeah, it's easy for me to talk from way over here...but these boys need to be punished, BY THE SYSTEM, and your lack of fully grasping the situation as it is now, is unfortunate...

i hope you guys are now doing well and have fully moved on from this incident though...damascus isn't just these boneheads!well said and understood! and me thinks you ought to listen to serial........

max patch
01-12-2011, 13:23
On the tape that was found the brothers were "begging for their lives" according to published reports.

They quit their hike and went home.

This is more than just a couple of "sucker punches".

The State determines if the case goes forward. Lets hope it does.

TOW
01-12-2011, 13:33
Thank you The Chop. You actually see what I am saying. If this ******* ray ray has commited other crimes before, and has a record, then WHY ISNT HE IN JAIL ALREADY?

All of these comments looking down on me and my brother completey ruin my picture of the hiking community. What happened to Hike your own Hike?

You're blaming me for what happens in the future? Yes, it is me that makes the decision not to act on sending them to prison because I don't believe that prison will help them in the least. Why can't you respect my opinion and leave it at that? It will not be my fault if someone does get hurt in the future. I forgave them for what happened. It seems that not everyone can however, and that makes me upset.

A subpoena will only serve to make us both angry. As for having the SYSTEM take care of them and being a good American? I went to the trail to get out of the American lifestyle. I am not a fan of America or its system. I do not think that it works.

So whiteblaze, insult and attempt to bully me all you want. It it futile and upsets me that hikers will sink so low. I am trying to be the bigger man here by not retaliating, but I guess that train of thought has never caught on, now has it?http://www.youcanwinmovie.com/

Old Hiker
01-12-2011, 13:46
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

This says it all. Except..... "good men" do nothing.

If you don't like America and her system, why are you still here, going to school, etc.? Why did you involve her system after the "3-4" punches if it's so bad? I agree with Lone Wolf: pathetic.

If it wasn't such a big deal at the time, why did you involve law enforcement to begin with? I wouldn't mind seeing Damascus charge you for what they have incurred to date. Why didn't you tell them at the time that you forgave them instead of "begging for your lives"?

CaseyB
01-12-2011, 13:52
This says it all. Except..... "good men" do nothing.

If it wasn't such a big deal at the time, why did you involve law enforcement to begin with? I wouldn't mind seeing Damascus charge you for what they have incurred to date. Why didn't you tell them at the time that you forgave them instead of "begging for your lives"?

Police started this investigation after the video was found on a phone during an unrelated investigation. They came looking for the brothers

Hobbler
01-12-2011, 13:58
To The Brothers Gumm:

I too am of the 50-something generation and also feel that It would be my responsibility to jump in and do something to aid in the welfare of any hiker or anyone for that matter that is receiving pain and unjust treatment.

I have to agree here that is is your choice to go to court, and ultimately your decision to feel when time has healed your wounds from the "attack" on your bodies and in your hearts. Yes, to attend court will require not only your time but the emotional scars to be opened again and that is, probably a factor in your decision.

The actions of these 3 were however pre-meditated, put to video, and need strong punishment and to look at it from any other angle is very remiss of the severity of their intent. What if just one of those 3or4 punches they landed put your eye out or did some other permanent damage to the two of you. Would you be so forgiving? The possibility of it happening to another hiker, or other citizen down the road might be strong. It has been said “past behavior is a good indicator of future behavior” I don't see anything in a mild sentence, if that is what is given them, that will change the course in life that they were persueing. It might just make them more emboldened and feeling no real sting from the pain of a light sentence or no sentence at all.

You do have the right to make a choice but the wasted good efforts of local, and state law enforcement, not forgetting the court system will go down the toilet. Yes, they may yet receive some convictions from the other charges against them and they might not have been caught for the“crime”against you both unless the local LEOs found the video on those unrelated charges. Yes, it is a crime and assault, especially of the nature they perpetrated on you two is at a much higher level than just robbery, drug possession and the like.

I wish you two only the best and really understand your reluctance to testify and that you might not even have a certain and positive identification of the perps due to the suddenness and surprise of the “attack”. Please remember that every action has a reaction, and in this case, inaction will also have a reaction. I don't want to encourage vindictiveness... merely justice that you two and all of society deserve along with prevention of their predatory actions for the future.
Given their freedom, they will strike somewhere, on someone, at sometime, again! You are the victims...This time!

I am on your side though no matter what you two decide to do about testifying...Yes, it is a free country and part of that is being forgiving and understanding to your fellow man. If you are OK with it so be it! The trail is going nowhere and will continue to be hiked. All this might be to the positive though. A renewed awareness of safety issues while on the trail has I hope been brought out in the forefront to be discussed and while we might want the perps to be held accountable, we don't always get what we want.

Good Luck Brothers Gumm

Slimer
01-12-2011, 14:16
Just shut this thread down already. Its obvious nothing good will come of it.

Its sad to see the attacked getting attacked again, only this time its from the warm and friendly "hiking community"
This kind of crap is why I rarely ever visit whiteblaze anymore.

Old Hiker
01-12-2011, 14:25
Police started this investigation after the video was found on a phone during an unrelated investigation. They came looking for the brothers

My apologies - this seems to be true. However, at the time they were contacted they could have said, "No, thanks."

Still, the evil will continue until someone takes a stand against it. It will escalate until even our system will not be able to ignore it or only wrist slap it.

traildust
01-12-2011, 15:07
Brothers Grimm,

Understand your position. Thanks for taking the time to share what's happening and where you stand.

Sorry that some on this forum want to be overly opinionated and harsh in their responses. But that is Whiteblaze.

The Churchill quote was good except he was talking about Hitler and I don't think these young men come anywhere near what the Nazi's did. These are some trouble young men and the system will get them sooner or later. Somewhere, way before this event, these young men go off course and may never return to civilized behavior. It is unfortunate that a great little town like Damascus will carry this for a few years when there so many other great folks there who do a lot for hikers. But this to will pass.

Hope you will someday come back to the A.T. and give it another go.

jesse
01-12-2011, 15:19
Just shut this thread down already. Its obvious nothing good will come of it.

Its sad to see the attacked getting attacked again, only this time its from the warm and friendly "hiking community"
This kind of crap is why I rarely ever visit whiteblaze anymore.

Yet you read thru 178 post.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2011, 15:30
Brothers Grimm,

Understand your position. Thanks for taking the time to share what's happening and where you stand.

Sorry that some on this forum want to be overly opinionated and harsh in their responses. But that is Whiteblaze.

The Churchill quote was good except he was talking about Hitler and I don't think these young men come anywhere near what the Nazi's did. These are some trouble young men and the system will get them sooner or later. Somewhere, way before this event, these young men go off course and may never return to civilized behavior. It is unfortunate that a great little town like Damascus will carry this for a few years when there so many other great folks there who do a lot for hikers. But this to will pass.

Hope you will someday come back to the A.T. and give it another go.
These guys are no Hitler, that's true, but where should we draw the line?

This just wasn't just a simple prank of some young juveniles, but whatever, it is what it is. The only thing really left to do is keep an eye on these guys, because they're not done....

As for the comment about America being crappy or whatever, that does say it all. I just love :rolleyes: to hear naive comments coming from people who have no clue just how good they have it.

Serial 07
01-12-2011, 15:42
We didn't realize that it was planned out. Even if it was, big whoop.
this was premeditated and done for fun...it is a big deal...

I'm willing to bet that it was some local punks who were bored of their small town life, and thought they would do something fun for a night. I doubt there is any "deep-hatred" for hikers or any of that nonsense. Just some punks fooling around.
this is a crazy assumption...

Do I think they need punishing? Yes. But not from the prison system.
so you'd rather see vigilante justice...awesome...let's go fight people who like to fight for fun...

we will ruin the rest of their lives. They did not ruin mine, what right do I have to ruin theirs?
they made their own decisions...jumping unsuspecting hikers with premeditation needs to be punished...

All of you can see this clearly from your own point of view, that of a hiker. But what about the point of view of a teenage punk in small town America?
what does this even mean? my perspective is that of not only a hiker, but a resident of Damascus...

so, if i think about this from Ray Ray's perspective, someone I'VE met, he's probably thinking how stupid the courts are and how he seemingly can get away with this crime...it seems to me that this will only encourage him to continue on his path, not veer him off of it...

i'm pretty sure a previous history of violence can be found for many to most convicted killers...another assumption made by you...

What happened to Hike your own Hike?
a totally irrelevant phrase to use here...this issue, unfortunately, is bigger than just YOU...

I forgave them for what happened. It seems that not everyone can however, and that makes me upset.
other people (the town of Damascus gets the majority of it's revenue from tourists) are effected by this...it's big of you to forgive them, that's totally true...however, you can still forgive them AND help protect a small town and the hiker community...

with all that said, gumm bros, i have no hard feelings toward you and i respect your personal decision not to come back here for court...but, you shouldn't make so many assumptions...the courts, for whatever reason, have had a hard time pinning these people down and this is just another (seemingly) failed attempt to do so...you are not responsible for the town, it's residence or other hikers, BUT you do have an opportunity to make all three safer...

good luck with everything and i hope that one day you get the chance to come back out here and do the AT...

thebrothersgumm
01-12-2011, 15:43
We did not persue law enforcement. They contacted us and we did say no. They continued to press us.