PDA

View Full Version : trail conditions TN/NC

greentick
11-25-2010, 16:37
Going Sam's Gap to 19E in a few days. Anyone have new info on water availability? Looks like there's been some precipitation over the last week or so with more forecasted for tonight. Any reliable water sources?

Thanks.

The Cleaner
11-25-2010, 16:44
As of 3 weeks ago,I did Allen Gap>Erwin, and all water sources were good.We have had more rain since then so I'd say you should have no problems with the water north of Erwin.

greentick
11-25-2010, 17:50
Good deal. Thanks.

The Cleaner
11-25-2010, 21:39
It is supposed to be 25degrees here in Greeneville Sat. night,so winter has arrived in the mtns.At higher elevations it will be colder,as you may know,and in the Roan Highlands temps could go into single digits at nite and not warm much in the day.Be prepared.I was on Hump Mtn. on May 9th and the temp was 36 degrees with winds near 40-50mph.....burrrrr....:eek:

10-K
11-25-2010, 21:55
Sam's Gap to Iron Mt. Gap - all good. You won't have any water problems at all. I've been through this section in the past 2 weeks - most of it the other day.

It is going to be a cold weekend ... I was on top of Unaka Mt. a few hours ago and the wind was coming in pretty strong already.

greentick
11-25-2010, 22:31
Thanks for the warning. We are good down to single digits. Pretty much subtract 10-12* from the Erwin low temp to account for elevation and use that as an estimate. We are actually looking forward to it. It was in the low 80s here the other day. Just flat out wrong to have to run your AC on Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the good reports.