PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Questions for the veterans.

Newb
12-14-2004, 20:46
Hi again all!

Ok, it looks like I'm gonna hit the trail beginning in April (around the 1st) at Springer Mountain and head north until my wife demands I come home (a few weeks for sure).

I realize the weather will be wet and probably cold and frozen in spots. My concerns have to do with what clothing mix to pack.

Right now i'm looking at this:

Underwear: Polar-max midweight compression tops and bottoms, briefs, regular cotton tshirt

Pants: Khaki shorts, Mistral pants (oudoor zipper ankle water resistant and lined), jeans.

Outer upper: Chanile sweater, shirt of some kind.

Breathable outer rain jacket with hood (from REI, 12 oz.)

Gloves to be determined, boots to be determined, gaiters?

Socks, sock liners.

I'll also have 2 knee braces :)

Any suggestions?

Happy
12-14-2004, 21:15
If I was leaving April 1st, 2005 my list would include:

Wearing:

1 pair of REI convertable pants
1 silkweight patagonia shirt
1 pair of REI underwear
1 pair smartwool socks
1 pair sock liners
1 pair of Montrail trailrunners
1 pair of silnylon ankle gaiters
1 Marmot Dry-Clime jacket
1 Ballcap

Carrying:

1 Marmot Precip raingear set
1 WM Flight jacket
1 pair smartwool socks
1 pair Sealskinz socks
1 pair patagonia mid-weight underwear
1 warm hat
1 pair glove liners
1 pair powerstretch gloves
1 pair OR rain mitts
1 lightweight balaclova
2 bandanas

This gear would be light enough to go the whole trail, without the hassle of maildrops.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2004, 21:49
Newb:

First lose the jeans. They're useless (if not dangerous) when wet, they're heavy, and they take forever to dry.

Also, I hope you're planning on more than one pair of sox and liners. Most folks carry two, if not three pairs.

Long underwear is fine, you'll need it. But as for briefs or other underwear, most folks don't wear it.

All in all, Happy's list is a very good one, especially as regards accessories, bandannas, etc.

DMA, 2000
12-14-2004, 21:54
Lose the jeans and the cotton ts, as they are useless when wet (I do admit that I started w/ two, kept one until well in VA and the other until the end of PA).

This is what I would do now, though others would differ.

2 pairs of socks, some sort of synthetic material, hopefully warm.
1 pair of convertible pants (like Sahara pants from REI)
2 pairs of drawers...I greatly prefer boxer briefs
1 pair of unpadded bike shorts
2 t-shirts...cool-max sort of material
1 Fleece jacket
1 warm hat
long underwear, top and bottom, capilene or equivalent (and heavy)
gloves
rain jacket & maybe rain pants (frogg toggs)

Newb
12-14-2004, 22:05
Thanks! Y'all helped me see this in a better light. I've already decided that my "warm Hat" will be my (Fake, don't go PETA on me) coonskin cap. I've got some Columbia convertible pants to take. I'll get the socks from the list.

I've already got flight mechanics gloves, though I'll probably wear my Air Force wool glove liners with the fake leather outers (standard military issue). I'll carry a bandana, but my skull is so big that I can't wear one on my head :cool: ..I'll never have the joy of a do-rag.

What's a WM flight jacket?

Happy
12-14-2004, 22:20
Thanks! Y'all helped me see this in a better light. I've already decided that my "warm Hat" will be my (Fake, don't go PETA on me) coonskin cap. I've got some Columbia convertible pants to take. I'll get the socks from the list.

I've already got flight mechanics gloves, though I'll probably wear my Air Force wool glove liners with the fake leather outers (standard military issue). I'll carry a bandana, but my skull is so big that I can't wear one on my head :cool: ..I'll never have the joy of a do-rag.

What's a WM flight jacket?

It is a down jacket made from Western Mountaineering, the maker of the outstanding sleeping bags. It is expensive at $200, but is very effective for around camp, lunch breaks and as a supplement to your sleeping bag!

As for the bandannas, scan this site for the many uses of them including, wiping down your tent, filtering water, tablecloth, washcloth, towel, first aid and on and on.

You can take prior advice and just carry a 200 weight fleece to do the same as the flight jacket.

Newb
12-14-2004, 22:36
I'm gonna have to plead poverty on any 200 dollar jackets. I think I will take my gov't issue Poly-pro long underwear and my desert field jacket which is nice and toasty. If it's raining I'll put an outer rain suit on.

The field jacket is aweful heavy, though...arrgh. I may be hitting Ebay over the next two months. I was also thinking of wearing my Matterhorn cold weather combat boots. They're Herman Munster sized clodhoppers but they're well padded, thick-soled and warm warm warm. By the time I'm done I'll need Sherpas.

I have a stupid questions...do sock liners go under or over the socks? I've found both kinds.

A-Train
12-14-2004, 22:43
Sock liners go under socks. They are not a necessity, especially if you're tight on money. I don't use them and never will. I don't think most thru-hikers wear them. They work for some but think about it: They are just an extra layer of fabric that will create friction and create blisters. The rubbing gave me blisters.

And as mentioned above, 2 pairs of socks is a good idea, IN ADDITION to the pair you wear. I liked to alternate as to always have a dry warm pair for camp. Especially if you hit a week of rain your feet will be wet all the time and its nice to have something to throw on after a long day.

SGT Rock
12-14-2004, 22:47
If you are a soldier (seems like it) here are my recommendations from what you probably already have:

The heavier brown polypro underwear. They are as warm and a lot cheaper than the fleece I bought for a whole lot more.

Field jacket liner over that in colder weather.

For a t-shirt, dufold coolmax is great.

Liner socks - wear nylon dress socks. They work about the same.

Wool glove liners are very good, but I hate the shells. You might find a better shell for some money.

The Desert GoreTex or a field jacket ain't that great. Use the field jacket liner as recommended above and get a set of Frogg Toggs or ProVent for your rain suit to wear over the liner.

The knit PT hat is perfect. I've used one for years hiking. Get one of those new fangled neck gaiters to go with it and convert it to a balaclava in really cold weather.

Loose the cotton T-shirt, jeans, and anything else that is cotton except the bandanna.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2004, 22:56
Newb:

One of the things you'll discover as you go along with your planning is that not every idea or item works the same for everyone. While I almost always agree with A-Train, I happen to actually like liner socks, and I've discovered that they help PREVENT blisters rather than cause them; they also tend to keep your feet a bit dryer as the good ones will wick sweat away from your skin and transfer the moisture to your outer sock. A dryer foot is generally a happier one.

In any case, tho, don't be alarmed if you hear conflicting advice from different people. It's been said that if you ask ten thru-hikers the same question, you're liable to get ten different answers. This can certainly be true when it comes to gear.

And don't be surprised if you make some changes once you start out---you may realize you've started without some important stuff, or more likely, you'll come to realize you're carrying stuff you don't need and you'll get rid of it. And by observing what other hikers are carrying, using, and wearing, you may realize you want to change a few things around.

So don't sweat it....you'll eventually figure out what works for you.

rocket04
12-14-2004, 23:43
I'm gonna have to plead poverty on any 200 dollar jackets. I think I will take my gov't issue Poly-pro long underwear and my desert field jacket which is nice and toasty. If it's raining I'll put an outer rain suit on. Yeah, don't worry too much about spending on expensive equipment. I personally did my best to use the SIAA system: Stuff I Already Have. I left April 9th, and even though it was quite nice temperatures dropped around 20 on April 15th. I was equipped with long johns, smartwool socks, synthetic zip-off starter pants (Walmart brand), Old Navy sweater, and a very light rain jacket, and a winter hat. It worked for me and I get cold pretty easy. I had 20 degree bag and made it fine through the night. My clothes were probably insufficient to be comfortable while idle, but since you're hiking... And if you stop, you get in the sleeping bag. Don't forget that emergency blanket, you never know.

A-Train
12-14-2004, 23:53
Couldn't agree more about the space blanket. It weighs all of 3 oz and is around 5-10 bucks at camping stores. Definately recommended to anyone starting before May. Not to get all dramatic but it may have very well saved my life the night I was camped at Gooch Gap. You can always send it home/ditch it/hiker box if you don't think you need it anymore.

Newb
12-15-2004, 02:49
You guys rock. Apparently there is a store on the trail after 4 days? I can survive anything for 4 days. Hell, I survived Iraq for 6 months. If I find I'm unhappy and my gear sucks I'll visit the great God of mastercard and right my wrongs. I wish I could start later in warm weather but such is life. We must take the opportunities given unto us and curse those who take an easier path :0

God bless you all.

Happy
12-15-2004, 03:12
You are right...if you do the approach trail you will be at Neal's Gap within four days. Great place to make adjustments...especially footware...just signup to have a pack inspection and mail home what does not work for you...have a great time! :banana

Happy
12-15-2004, 03:19
I forgot to say...do not regret your start date as it is probably a perfect date in GA...MOST people started on this date years ago...has just recently gotten earlier to March 1st.

jackiebolen
12-15-2004, 12:38
I have 2 sayings when it comes to the outdoors:

1. Dehydration=death

2. Cotton kills

Lose EVERYTHING in your pack that is cotton and you'll be well on your way to clothing happiness :banana

This past spring, I hiked with a couple of people who had their packs filled with cottony things that they'd put on when they got to camp. However, they would get damp from sweat, sitting at picnic tables or whatever and never dried. At Neels Gap, they realized their horrible mistake and sent all the cotton crap home, for a small fortune.

rocket04
12-15-2004, 12:44
I have 2 sayings when it comes to the outdoors:

1. Dehydration=death

2. Cotton kills
hehehe. Reminds me of a hiker I met who's trail name was Death By Cotton. I did meet several people this year who hiked wearing cotton and had no complaints about it. I'm not encouraging it though.

Blue Jay
12-15-2004, 12:46
You get to hike until your wife makes you come home, no other limits? You are one lucky guy. Have a great time and don't worry too much about your gear. You'll know if you made a mistake quickly and be able to adjust.

Newb
12-16-2004, 02:33
I'm gonna do a cold weather "overnight" out of Harpers Ferry in January. Should I march north or south for a one day up and back? All I'm thinking about is hiking lately. I'm out every morning walking with a pack and scaring my neighbors.

HikeLite
12-16-2004, 10:45
"Lose EVERYTHING in your pack that is cotton and you'll be well on your way to clothing happiness"

Except maybe carry a couple of cotton bandanas.

Youngblood
12-16-2004, 10:54
"Lose EVERYTHING in your pack that is cotton and you'll be well on your way to clothing happiness"

Except maybe carry a couple of cotton bandanas.

I tried the 50/50 cotton/polyester bandanas but went back to the 100% cotton ones... I think they work better at drying my pan or the inside of my tent, when I use one and get condensation.

Haiku
12-16-2004, 19:57
hehehe. Reminds me of a hiker I met who's trail name was Death By Cotton. I did meet several people this year who hiked wearing cotton and had no complaints about it. I'm not encouraging it though.
I named Death By Cotton when I ran into him starting out in Damascus. He had thru-hiking experience, but it was years out of date in terms of gear. That said, people did thru-hike the Trail wearing jeans and cotton tee shirts. But perhaps many more people dropped out because of hypothermia.

Haiku.

DMA, 2000
01-09-2005, 05:37
A caveat to the cotton thing:

I have not found satisfactory non-cotton undies. As said above, I like tight boxer briefs. For one thing, my boys need support. For another, they lower sperm counts, and I don't care to knock up the wife just yet.

Can anyone suggest any good non-cotton alternatives?

SGT Rock
01-09-2005, 08:58
Wal-MArt has some goodmicrofiber boxers.

Jaybird
01-09-2005, 09:53
You guys rock. Apparently there is a store on the trail after 4 days? I can survive anything for 4 days. Hell, I survived Iraq for 6 months. If I find I'm unhappy and my gear sucks I'll visit the great God of mastercard and right my wrongs. I wish I could start later in warm weather but such is life. We must take the opportunities given unto us and curse those who take an easier path :0God bless you all.

Newb:

the good folks @ Walasi-Yi Center will even go thru your pack for you & "lighten your load" if you wish....THIS IS A GOOD IDEA!
its a great place to get that first shower & "real food" after a few days on the trail...& NEEL'S GAP has some nice scenery too.

good luck with your hike. ...maybe i'll see you out there :D

will be hikin' w/ "the Model T crew (http://www.modelt.net)" April 28-May 5 Hot Springs to Erwin,
May 5-7 i'll hike onto Carvers Gap, May 8-21 Damascus, Va NOBO as far as i can (hopefully Pearsiburg) :D

hikerjohnd
01-09-2005, 09:55
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17470&subcategory_ID=1123

I have tried these and found them just as comfortable as cotton. Although I have not spent more than two weeks in them, I'm fairly certain they could go the distance...

:banana

weary
01-09-2005, 10:04
I have not found satisfactory non-cotton undies. As said above, I like tight boxer briefs. For one thing, my boys need support. For another, they lower sperm counts, and I don't care to knock up the wife just yet.
Be warned. I can attest that cotton underwear is not a very good birth control devise. But neither is cotton quite as deadly as some claim, though admittedly one has to always mix cotton with common sense.

Weary

DMA, 2000
01-09-2005, 13:00
It's not the fabric, it's the tightness. Studies have indicated that tight drawers raise the temperature of the testicles and lower the sperm count. Unfortunately, tight tends to equal cotton, except in the case of the link mentioned above.

Actually, that's one cotton item I wore the whole time, and rarely had a problem with wetness (and even then didn't have a problem with it making me cold). A few times they got so wet I had to carry them on the outside of my pack to dry while I free balled for a day or too, but nothing worse than that.