PDA

View Full Version : Crab And Shrimp

Rocks 'n Roots
12-14-2004, 21:23
Just saw a new product at WalMart - Single packet foil pouch servings of chunk crab and shrimp. These would go well in a trail noodle stew or even an on-trail gourmet dish for those inclined...

Happy
12-14-2004, 21:42
Just saw a new product at WalMart - Single packet foil pouch servings of chunk crab and shrimp. These would go well in a trail noodle stew or even an on-trail gourmet dish for those inclined...

I will have to go along with an earlier quote from Rainman, the shrimp taste like cardboard (tried them for lunch today) but the oysters are OUTSTANDING. I have not tried the crab yet, but expect them to be good! The scallops are also very good. :clap

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2004, 21:53
Gosh, Rocks, for someone who's forever ranting about Mother Earth, saving the ecosystem, urban sprawl, corporate greed, and an assortment of other modern-day woes, as well as reminding us frequently of your zealous defense of the natural world, you're about the LAST person I'd expect to be shilling for Wal-Mart. Don't you know half of them are built on wetlands?

Gosh, where have all my heroes gone.....

Rain Man
12-14-2004, 21:55
I will have to go along with an earlier quote from Rainman, the shrimp taste like cardboard (tried them for lunch today) but the oysters are OUTSTANDING....

I'm glad to see people are paying attention when I speak!!! LOL
:jump
Rain Man

P.S. I'm looking forward to trying the real crab and the fake crab too.

Happy
12-15-2004, 03:44
I'm glad to see people are paying attention when I speak!!! LOL

I wish you could be at springer for 2005...I love pizza for breakfast!

treetrunks
12-15-2004, 08:54
I have been shopping in Wegmans lately. They sell a foil pouch of tuna steak with maybe three different flavors. These are distributed by Bumble Bee Tuna. I tried one that was marinated in ginger and soy. It was a real piece of tuna that tasted nothing like the regular stuff. It was real good, but also much more expensive then regular tuna.

I don't know how friendly Wegmans or Bumble Bee are to wetlands though.

Rocks 'n Roots
12-15-2004, 14:54
Oatmeal is pretty much cardboard. Just add spice.

"Shill for WalMart"???

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 19:47
I wish you could be at springer for 2005...I love pizza for breakfast!

Springer for 2005? You want me there the whole year???? (I wish!) And when did I ever serve pizza for breakfast???
:sun
Rain Man

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2004, 20:04
The remark was meant as something of a joke, Rocks, tho I'm not surprised you failed to see the irony.

Considering you posted like 17 times to the Environmental Terrorism thread (actually, you STARTED the damned thread, come to think of it), and considering most of your posts hectored us on the dangers and evils of development and suburban sprawl, I'm frankly amazed that you shop at places like Wal-Mart, or encourage others to do so. This is, after all, a corporation that relies on sweatshop labor to make a lot of its goods; that destroys small towns and main street business districts; that treats its employees dreadfully in terms of compensation and health care; that is presently being sued for mis-treating its women employees; that is vehemently and relentlessly anti labor and labor union; and lastly, is well known for putting its "Big Box" superstores up in previously undeveloped locations----farmland, forests, marshes, swamps, etc. Lastly, and certainly not least, they have a pretty bad record on environmental issues, both during and after the construction of their stores.

So while my comment was first meant as a joke, Rocks, it's actually kind of serious. It just surprises me that someone who is constantly reminding us to live and act on a moral plane as high as yours when it comes to environmental issues, would not only shop at Wal-Mart, but encourage others to do likewise, since they have so much cool stuff available.

Don't get me wrong.....I've no doubt you're absolutely sincere in your awareness and activism when it comes to environmental matters, and that you genuinely care about such matters as degradation of the environment, destruction of open land, water pollution, and urban sprawl. I'm positive your feelings about these matters are heartfelt and sincere.

Except when your convictions interfere with the opportunity to buy cheap crabmeat and shrimp for your trail dinners.

Then I guess a little bit of sprawl is a good thing, eh?

Jack Lincoln
12-16-2004, 02:38
I am quite sure that you would bitch if you were hung with a new rope!

Now that you are through with Warren Doyle; perhaps you are looking for some fresh new meat to carve.

I know Rocks and he is an activist. At least he does something as opposed to you doing nothing but beating the same dead horse for newcomers on this board.

You speak of unhealthy relationships and someone, "having too much time on their hands." Well, look at most of your posts. They are, for the most part, long winded and vitriolic, especially when you are espousing your point of view; I assume you draw that point of view directly from your lifestyle.

I know you, big fatboy, and you need a few things in your presentation of your point of view. You might start with tact!

I hope to see you on the PCT in '05'. I will tell you these things to your face!

screwysquirrel
12-16-2004, 02:52
Wooo getting kind of violent here on the whiteblaze huh? I bet ole jack proabably would kick your ass if you did met him on the PCT (Punks Commuter Trail). Not that I agree with everything Jack has posted here but I met Jack long time ago in the Smokies and Gatlinburg, though he probably doesn't remember me since it was awhile ago but I think you would be in a good hassle there. And as far as Warren Doyle goes, he's a parasite on the AT.

treetrunks
12-16-2004, 08:05
I'm hoping that you know Jack Tarlin and you are only goofing. I have found his posts to be very reasonable and sagely, (is that a word?). I always pay attention when he does post, because what he says is usually appropriate. I have pretty closely plagiarized his re-supply list for my 05 thru-hike and feel indebted to him, in a way, for saving me all of that work. Personally I look forward to meeting him someday.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2004, 08:12
Hey squirrel, why do you say Warren is a parasite on the AT? Do you have the balls to say that to his face or are you like the rest of the tough guys around here?

Blue Jay
12-16-2004, 08:49
Since this is the crab and shrimp thread and clearly it's staying on topic, I am required to post here. I like being a crab, so I'm posting even though at the present time I have nothing to crab about. I promise I will think of something.

Youngblood
12-16-2004, 08:55
Since this is the crab and shrimp thread and clearly it's staying on topic, I am required to post here. I like being a crab, so I'm posting even though at the present time I have nothing to crab about. I promise I will think of something.

BJ,

Well said... thanks, I need a laugh every now and then while reading some of these postings.

Youngblood

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2004, 20:40
Hi Mr. Lincoln! And Merry Christmas to you too! When you go back under your rock, don't bump your head!

And, Wolf, please don't start in with the Warren Doyle stuff up again. Everyone's pretty much sick of it. And the "Wouldja say it to his face?" stuff is old and lame, too. Back in October, when he came round to see how badly we'd trashed and dis-respected our new campsite at the Gathering, (which of course we didn't do), he had every opportunity to discuss things to OUR faces, as we were still in residence at the time, yet he neglected to do so. Seems like it isn't us who have the problems with face-to-face dialogue.

And as you well know, I debated and responded personally to Mr. Doyle in open discussion at the Gathering on several matters, including several occasions in which you were yourself present. Hundreds of people witnessed these discussions, so to say that these matters haven't been addressed to him publicly and openly is simply untrue, and you well know it.

And you must also be aware, being a regular visitor here, that Mr. Doyle was aked about his visit to our campsite on many occasions, including being asked as why he didn't want to walk seventy yards across the lawn and make a personal inspection while we were still there----if he had any questions or problems as Gathering Co-ordinator, this would have been a perfect opportunity for him to have addressed this matter. But no, Doyle never bothered to face us there with his complaints and problems, and he likewise never adequately responded to direct questions here; instead he assiduously avoided direct dialogue altogether, and shortly left the website in a huff.

I trust this concludes your "face-to-face" comments re. Warren Doyle. But if you want to belabor the point and go round and 'round again on this, I suppose we can, tho I gotta tell you, most folks, including myself, are probably sick of the topic.

But to sum up, questions about Mr. Doyle's behavior and actions were indeed discussed at October's hiker Gathering, and they were discussed in his presence, "to his face". He also had the opportunity to talk with us at our campsite "face-to-face." He skulked away and declined the chance. So Wolf, you really might want to give this one a rest. Not only is your argument weak, but truly, nobody here much cares.

But Merry Christmas in any case.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2004, 20:45
BS Jack. You never confronted him one on one. In those discussion groups you never mentioned his name. I was asking squirrel why he feels the way he does about Warren. Butt out and shut up.

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2004, 21:03
Wolf:

You're either deliberately mis-stating facts or your memory is fading with age.

As you well know, I stood up at the Main Business meeting at the Gathering, and in response to Warren's comments about maintaining ethical behavior on the trail and the importance of everyone following rules, I IMMEDIATELY responded directly to him, and told him in no uncertain terms why I, and many others, dis-agreed with him. This very personal rebuttal to a comment Doyle had just made was about as face-to-face as it could have been. And several hundred folks witnessed this, including you. And most of them appluaded it, I might add.

And as far as who didn't want to talk to people personally at the Gathering, in adult fashion, I think I just related (for around the ninth time) that it was he who had the perfect chance to do this, at our campsite, but he simply wasn't up to it. Immediately after being told we were still at our campsite and that he was welcome to have a look at it or talk with us, he immediately left. And quickly, too.

So I'll happily "butt out" of this tired and silly conversation, but only because I'm sick of it. Your version of events is provably false as several hundred folks can attest to. If you want to continue discussing this matter, have at it, but I doubt it's going to lead anywhere new: You're the only one who seems, at this late date, to give a damn about Mr. Doyle, and you are most welcome to him.

But if you want to further the discussion, stating mis-truths and falsehoods regarding what transpired in October does not further your argument.

Now I'll butt out. Merry Christmas.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2004, 00:05
You brought it back up boy. :) I made a simple statement to someone else and your gossipy self just had to get your nickels worth in.

Lugnut
12-17-2004, 02:12
Everybody's sick of it. Let's talk about shrimp and crab! :D

Tha Wookie
12-17-2004, 02:43
The remark was meant as something of a joke, Rocks, tho I'm not surprised you failed to see the irony.

Considering you posted like 17 times to the Environmental Terrorism thread (actually, you STARTED the damned thread, come to think of it), and considering most of your posts hectored us on the dangers and evils of development and suburban sprawl, I'm frankly amazed that you shop at places like Wal-Mart, or encourage others to do so. This is, after all, a corporation that relies on sweatshop labor to make a lot of its goods; that destroys small towns and main street business districts; that treats its employees dreadfully in terms of compensation and health care; that is presently being sued for mis-treating its women employees; that is vehemently and relentlessly anti labor and labor union; and lastly, is well known for putting its "Big Box" superstores up in previously undeveloped locations----farmland, forests, marshes, swamps, etc. Lastly, and certainly not least, they have a pretty bad record on environmental issues, both during and after the construction of their stores.

So while my comment was first meant as a joke, Rocks, it's actually kind of serious. It just surprises me that someone who is constantly reminding us to live and act on a moral plane as high as yours when it comes to environmental issues, would not only shop at Wal-Mart, but encourage others to do likewise, since they have so much cool stuff available.

Don't get me wrong.....I've no doubt you're absolutely sincere in your awareness and activism when it comes to environmental matters, and that you genuinely care about such matters as degradation of the environment, destruction of open land, water pollution, and urban sprawl. I'm positive your feelings about these matters are heartfelt and sincere.

Except when your convictions interfere with the opportunity to buy cheap crabmeat and shrimp for your trail dinners.

Then I guess a little bit of sprawl is a good thing, eh?

I couldn't agree with this statement more, Jack. People who shop or advertise for Wal-Mart have no room to talk about sprawl.

Some people are full of talk, others action. It's nice and easy to sit back and be a critic, but when you have to look for a local alternative store, maybe spend a couple dollars more (which will STAY in your community), or chop your own wood (one of my favorite metaphors), that's when you start seeing what people are really made of.

I am not attacking you, R n R, but i mean this in a general sense, because I hear people engage in fantasy activism all the time and it makes me sick. Please take no offense. We all have our own faults and many are not really educated about how Wal-mart and other similar corporations destroy local cultures and environments.

It's called integrity.

Tha Wookie
12-17-2004, 02:50
Oh, yeah I forgot to stay on topic.

Bumblebee tuna and Starkist are identified by the Monterey Bay Aquarium (2004 display) as brands to boycot because they use nets that capture and kill all kinds of animals, such as sea turtles, other species of fish, whales, and dolphins (but you already knew that).

They had a display that showed all the good brands and bad brands. The bad ones were, I'm sorry to say, the ones at the common markets (cheaper process; costs less than removing other creatures or using smaller nets). I know they all say "dolphin safe" on them, but that's not entirely true, and many other animals die in them, including endangered turtles.

I'm not saying don't eat them, just sharing something i learned. Make up your own mind. But if you do, don't buy them at Wal-mart for America's sake!

Mags
12-17-2004, 11:22
Everybody's sick of it. Let's talk about shrimp and crab! :D

OK. TWo things I miss about my homestate : Good pizza (see the best northeast pizaa thread) and fresh seafood. Mmmmm

Going back to visit in about a month. Clamcakes and "chowda"..here I come. :)

(Will not be buying this food at XYZMart, I promise!)

treetrunks
12-17-2004, 12:27
You know I agree with every bad thing said about Walmart and Bumblebee and Star-Kist, and these things apply to other companies; the list is endless. The problem I have is where does it stop. Should I have a list of products and stores to boycott? Does boycotting really change much?

I really hate the whole concept of the Wal-Mart’s; I would always prefer to do business with the small Mom and Pop stores that are being pushed out. I don't mind spending a little more, but apparently the draw for the big department stores is price and one stop shopping. It's hard to fight.

Tuna: I found this link to Dave’s Tuna, http://www.davesalbacore.com/categorylist.aspx?CategoryID=23 (http://www.davesalbacore.com/categorylist.aspx?CategoryID=23)

Never bought any but it does look interesting.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2004, 17:28
Wookie:

I eat a lot of tunafish but I didn't know about Bumblebee and Starkist; thank you for sharing this information.

And Wolf:

Sorry, but yet again you're saying things here that aren't true; I didn't raise the unfortunate subject of Mr. Doyle on this thread. It was, in fact, your dear friend Mr. Lincoln who did. Have a nice day.

Jack Lincoln
12-18-2004, 05:18
I am not a "dear friend" or whatever.... I love your evaluations of some of our values. You are always right on the money.

Actually, I have not seen Lone Wolf for at least 13 years,

Whatever> I love you all and wish only the best for al of you as this year ends and our next one begins

I love you all..

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2004, 15:52
Actually, JL, sometimes I think you ARE Lone Wolf.

In any case, Merry Christmas to both of you.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2004, 16:06
Buz off, Jack. :cool: Merry xmas

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2004, 16:11
And I think that proves it!

JimM
12-18-2004, 17:14
Everybody's sick of it. Let's talk about shrimp and crab! :D What he said.....only a little more so today.
Jim

screwysquirrel
12-18-2004, 22:14
Hey squirrel, why do you say Warren is a parasite on the AT? Do you have the balls to say that to his face or are you like the rest of the tough guys around here?
Sure I would, LW. And if you ran a operation like he does I would say the same about you to your face in Damascus. And by the way, to all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years. :sun

Lone Wolf
12-19-2004, 06:58
What operation are you referring to?

screwysquirrel
12-22-2004, 01:01
What operation are you referring to?
If you don't know I'm not gonna tell ya. :confused:

Lone Wolf
12-22-2004, 03:17
You can't tell me cuz you don't know what you're talking about. There is no "operation". :cool:

Skeemer
12-22-2004, 09:16
I know I'll probably piss off both sides but the low prices at stores like Wal-Mart have done a lot to bring some semblance of quality of life to the lower class worker who gets by pay check to pay check. When I've shopped there, many, if not most, of the customers appear to be the "average Joe" who needs to stretch every dollar as far as he can. Sure, Wal-Mart could build their stores in delapidated downtown areas and pay full benefits and high wages, but it would no longer be able to keep prices that attracts their customer base. So what's more important to the average Joe...getting by as comfortably as he can, or saving a field with a few trees.

It pisses us off because our quality of life clashes with theirs. We love the outdoors and hate anyone who threatens it. It doesn't mean they should be able to run rough shod over the environment. They must operate within the law. We need strong envirnonmental laws to protect as much of the "wild" as we can.

You can debate it forever. Sure everyone could do more to preserve the environment. But, as long as the human race keeps multiplying and people have to find food, clothing and shelter, it is inevitable they will continue to infringe on the environment.

Blue Jay
12-22-2004, 09:45
Great post, Skeemer.

Tha Wookie
12-22-2004, 10:11
I know I'll probably piss off both sides but the low prices at stores like Wal-Mart have done a lot to bring some semblance of quality of life to the lower class worker who gets by pay check to pay check. When I've shopped there, many, if not most, of the customers appear to be the "average Joe" who needs to stretch every dollar as far as he can. Sure, Wal-Mart could build their stores in delapidated downtown areas and pay full benefits and high wages, but it would no longer be able to keep prices that attracts their customer base. So what's more important to the average Joe...getting by as comfortably as he can, or saving a field with a few trees.

It pisses us off because our quality of life clashes with theirs. We love the outdoors and hate anyone who threatens it. It doesn't mean they should be able to run rough shod over the environment. They must operate within the law. We need strong envirnonmental laws to protect as much of the "wild" as we can.

You can debate it forever. Sure everyone could do more to preserve the environment. But, as long as the human race keeps multiplying and people have to find food, clothing and shelter, it is inevitable they will continue to infringe on the environment.
A warming analysis, Skeemer, but the "average Joe" used to be able to make his own dollar in most places without the help of giant corporations. In fact, if Average Joe wanted to, he could open up a vaccum store, or a small general store, or a clothing store, or a picture frame store, or a furniture store, or a music store, or a hunting store, or a sports store, or a plant nursery, or a bike store, or a toy store, or a produce stand, or a book store, or whatever the hell else he wanted to do to make his own dollar, instead of worrying how long he can stretch his corporate allowance. He used to have time to garden and herd some cows, and can food for the winter. He used to be able to buy a quart-sized jar of pickles, but now has to settle for a gallon (under the illusion that he's "stretching" his dollar because he gets more to eat).

The truth is, any defense anyone somes up for Wal-Mart is the brainwashing spoonfed arguement that filters down to the sorry customers. If you and other people, who shop there, would wake up and see American roots culture and environment eroding into the foul corporate river, you might be less inclined to support the beast of babylon.

But once people get invested, most are too weak to face the truth.

The good news is Wal-Mart and similar stores aren't everywhere yet (YET). People MUST stand up to them! Save your town!

grrickar
12-22-2004, 10:59
It's not just Wal Mart, it is any big chain store - Home Depot, Lowes, malls, grocery stores, etc. Cities and towns are expanding at a much larger rate than they ever have before, and the shocking thing that I see happening is that a store will open in a particular part of town, then close the doors on that store a year or two later and build another brand new store not a mile away. Meanwhile the old building sits empty, then eventually becomes more of an eyesore than it was in the first place. All of the big chains stores are guilty of that.

Another trend I see in the South is this: a family has 300 acres of farm land that they have farmed for at least the last 40 years, then the older generation of that family passes away, and the children (who likely went to college and have careers) sell the land rather than farm it themselves, and the next thing you know a real estate developer has bought it, subdivided it, and a housing subdivision goes up. I have lived in the same place for 32 years, and I see it happening at a much faster rate than ever.

Blue Jay
12-22-2004, 11:04
The truth is, any defense anyone somes up for Wal-Mart is the brainwashing spoonfed arguement that filters down to the sorry customers. If you and other people, who shop there, would wake up and see American roots culture and environment eroding into the foul corporate river, you might be less inclined to support the beast of babylon.

I would love to agree with you on this one and in the past I did. The fact is the Beast of Babylon has won. In most places in my state, the mom and pop places are years gone. You can choose between Walmart, or another multinational such as Target (who is just as bad) or mail order/internet. Buying something sight unseen is a huge problem, let alone trusting you could return it if it sucks, which it often does. I hate to tell you this but American culture is a contradiction in terms, it's clearly now corporate culture. They own us. Should you fight this if you have a chance, yesyesyes, but you have to face the fact that most people do not have a choice, nor care. I would love to be a Polyanna and stop the massive Walmart abuses, but clearly that is like keeping your sand castle from the rising tide. We are fungus on an orange, accept it and try to hold on to what we have left. That fight has been lost.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2004, 11:11
Hey Wook, are you using a homemade puter or you using a corporate made Dell, Gateway or whatever? Don't be a hypocrite. You're part of the problem too.

Bolo
12-22-2004, 11:35
Sorry, thought I was on the Crab and Shrimp thread?

Merry Christmas, everyone!

ga>me>ak
12-22-2004, 13:44
In response to recent crticism( low wages,etc), verbally and on different sitcoms on tv, the Walmart spokeswoman had this to say.
Our employees do not rely on Walmart for a living wage. Our employees are mainly part time students, retirees, and so on. They aren't looking to make a living wage from the Worm( Walmart), just supplement their income.
Imagine, the world's largest retailer( and employer?) and none of their employees expect/need to make a living wage. Maybe they give them such a huge discount on food and groceries, they don't need a living wage. Yeh.
What a looooad of bsssssssss.
And no, I don't shop at the Worm. I pay extra at the local mom and pop. Does it help? Who knows. Helps me feel better anyway.
OK, I'm done. Sorry Bolo, maybe we should open a Worm bashing thread under off topic.

rickb
12-22-2004, 14:40
I am not so sure that employees working the floor or register at a small independant retail shop make much more than those at Walmart. Or ever did.

Mags
12-22-2004, 14:47
A warming analysis, Skeemer, but the "average Joe" used to be able to make his own dollar in most places without the help of giant corporations.

Ya know, coming from a family of "average Joes" I find this statement rather laughable. Great-grandad, Pop (what we called my grandfather) and my Dad all worked for some large buisness in a trade. Dad still works for a subsidary of General Dynamics making submarines. The women in my family worked as textile workers,secretaries, retail or stay-at-home moms. About as "average Joe" as you can get.

For skilled trades people, esp. in New England, the larger businesses are often the only game in town. Dad was more interested in putting food on table and paying the mortgage then starting his own business. Can be scary when you have a wife and three children to support to go off on your own. Idealism is lless a concern in this scenario. :)

I personally don't shop at Walmart and prefer to shop local when possible.. But, I recongnize it fits a niche for many people. Mom would shop at K-mart to stretch the tight dollars. (No Walmart in New England growing up). I am sure she would love to shop at some nice local store (in fact, we did for appliances like a fridge, washer, dryer), but for some things it was less expensive to shop at XYZMart.

Now, I am not end all and be all expert of "average Joes" (and I moved into that nebulous term of "white collar"), but probably have more knowledge and experience of what "Average Joes" thinks than some of you. :)

"Average Joe" wants to save money and spend time with and support their family. Starting a business takes time and money. Two things in very short supply for "Average Joes". Easier to work at the evil corporation, buy things in one evil place to save money and time and go see the boys play little league.

Anyway, happy Chrismahannukwanzakah all!

Mags
12-22-2004, 15:01
I am not so sure that employees working the floor or register at a small independant retail shop make much more than those at Walmart. Or ever did.

You know, that's true too. Retail stores in general do not pay living wages, including the mom and pop stores. Curiously, Costco (A Sam's club type store) has a philsophy of paying their workers a good salary and good benefits. The CEO feels that a higher wage makes for company loyalty. That equals less turnover, increased productivity and higher profit margins. After 4 yrs, the average Costco clerk earns 41,000 a year! Not bad for a big, bad corporation.

http://www.teamster.org/04news/hn_040217_1.htm

(Wally world, like most retai stores, is rather abysmal though)
http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/costco_employee_benefits_walmart.html

Skeemer
12-22-2004, 15:19
Bolo, sometimes these threads take on a life of their own as we touch nerves. Where one buys the crabmeat turned out to be of more interest than the product itself.

I can understand Tha Wookie's and others strong dislike for big business. The big chains are often labled villians by the media. And he has some points...but I still believe that not everyone who shops there has been "brainwashed." They do so because #1 it saves them money and they can't afford to go to the local hardwear store and pay $5.00 more for a shovel or even 50 cents more for a light bulb. Do you ever go grocery shopping? Often the store will have their grocery cart filled with goods next to one with the same goods at the competitors prices to show the savings. My guess is most people simply shop where they think they save the most money. And many of those people are poor and/or in debt. You can't expect them to suddenly make the environment their overriding concern. On the other hand, I can see BJ and others addressing those of us who are here posting on Whiteblaze. Most of us aren't living "hand to mouth" and might just say, "Yeah, I can go to the hardwear store downtown and get what I need cause I can afford the extra expense to avoid patronizing a company that doesnt support my beliefs."

Now I have a delemna...where else can I find those seafood packets or should I go without just because I don't like Wal-mart?

I do like LW's question to Wookie I'll bet you could find things he's purchased that are made by companies that aren't what he'd like them to be.

Tha Wookie
12-22-2004, 15:32
As I said already...

But once people get invested, most are too weak to face the truth.

Mags, sorry to hear that your version of the "Average Joe" can't have their own business or work for a locally-connected business. My dad found a way, while having to live off food stamps with me and brother as babies, to create his own highly successful photography business 32 years ago, put food on the table, send me to undergraduate college, and he's still kicking strong. He is his own man. For this, I am truly lucky.

I can't deny, like Bluejay said, that the current situation is lost for many places. There are places where there is not much of a choice. But it's not like that everywhere. It is fightable. It's not lost. To win, you don't have to destroy Wal-Mart. That would be absurdly difficult. You just have to develop your own standards and live by them. It's called integrity. There will always be naysayers and critics, like Wolf, who constantly cries "hypocrite" when his commanders' orders are threatened (remember he's been broken down and built back to follow orders - a hard habit to break), but they should not detract from one's inegrity.

The integrity of community, of township, of city, of region, of the land - depend on high standards and personal integrity. It depends on people spending an extra dollar to get tuna or crabmeat or blueback salmon that comes from a ship on the waters of the American Dream.

The only losers are those too weary to fight.

Mags
12-22-2004, 15:48
The only losers are those too weary to fight.

That is very insulting Nate.

Not everyone wants to put their family on foodstamps and spend time getting a business going. Starting a business takes time...not something everyone is willing to give up.

And, as others mentioned, not many small stores can pay a competitive salary. I work for a company of less than twelve people. I am lucky. Not everyone has that option.

I recongnize that different options work better for different people. Like many people who are blinded by ideology, you don't. Then, to make matters worse, you insult a whole bunch of people. We had the time to thru-hike. Does that somewho make us wiser or better than others? Hardly.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2004, 15:51
Wookie is a hypocrite. He's a consumer. Part of the problem.

rickb
12-22-2004, 15:57
Where to buy Crab?

I would recommend you buy from a thru hiker.

John Mackey, the founder and president of Whole Foods Markets took 4 months off in 2002 to do the Trail. I'll bet he could be lobbied to carry the Salmon if he isn't already.

FWIW, I am happy to pay more for his groceries. Not because I want to help Mr. Mackey's family (Ha!), but because he has the best stuff and the best employees I ever have see. Even if he does have a 4 billion dollar company.

Rick B

Mags
12-22-2004, 16:03
[B]B
Now I have a delemna...where else can I find those seafood packets or should I go without just because I don't like Wal-mart?

Costco! Inexpensive and good labor practices.

Or just don't eat the packets. :)

rickb
12-22-2004, 16:11
Here is a link to 2002-Miler John Mackay's Bio--

http://www.mba.wfu.edu/news/corpgov/Mackey.htm

He did the Trail in 2002.

Did an of you guys think to hand him a resume? :-)

Rick B

ga>me>ak
12-22-2004, 16:15
[QUOTE=Mags]Costco! Inexpensive and good labor practices.

Isn't Sam's,Costco,and the Worm all subsidiaries
from the same company?

Mags
12-22-2004, 16:19
[QUOTE=Mags]Costco! Inexpensive and good labor practices.

Isn't Sam's,Costco,and the Worm all subsidiaries
from the same company?

Nope. Costco is not owned by the same company. There is a link further up (the reclaimdemocracy.org link) that shows the difference. The philosophy between the two companies are very much opposite. Low wages and high turnover. High wages and company loyalty. Large business dose not have to equal bad working conditions.

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/costco_employee_benefits_walmart.html

Rocks 'n Roots
12-26-2004, 15:58
The worst kind of hypocrisy is those who pose themselves as AT concerned who then shun people who bring up real AT issues while making big deals out things like the above. If they put 1/10th the energy they put into these side isses towards the AT we would be getting somewhere...

Rocks 'n Roots
12-26-2004, 16:10
I made a shrimp curry at some Virginia Shelter I can't remember. I took a slide photo of it. This was a canned small type of shrimp.

If you can get powdered sour cream and these foil packet shrimp, add some chili powder, curry, and ginger. Get some onion, celery, and bell pepper for vegetables. Sautee the vegetables in oil and add the shrimp and sour cream. Add spices and salt and pepper.

Real indian curry on the Trail. Serve over rice.

(On a personal note - I can't sleep in a shelter after eating onions because of a stomach disorder involving nasty gas) [sorry if that was too much personal information] Long term giardia maybe?