PDA

View Full Version : A sad request

jerseydave
11-26-2010, 11:13
I'm sorry if this isn't allowed here, if not, please delete this thread.

I'm writing this without any want for personal condolences directed toward myself. This isn't about me in any way.

I direct this toward those of you that may have religious or spiritual beliefs, making this request for a short prayer or moment of reflection appropriate and greatly appreciated.

My youngest daughters best friend, "Emily" turns 10 years old today.
She's an intelligent, happy girl, that always seems to find a way to make people smile.

Her father, "Robert" has been battling cancer for a few years, having recently being told he had only a short time left.

Early this morning he passed away and suffers no more.

I never really got to know him very well, we never really became friends (my loss).
A short while ago we did have an honest and personal conversation about what he was going through and his thoughts and feelings about his mortality.

One of his biggest concerns was how it was going to effect his youngest child, Emily.

I know more than anything, this unselfish man would have never wanted her birthday to forever be linked to or scarred by an unpleasant anniversary such as this. But some things are just not in our control.

On behalf of Robert, please take a short moment to think of his family, but most of all, a kind thought or prayer for Emily, and a hope that she will find a way to cope with the years of internal conflict she will face because of the unfortunate timing of this tragedy.

Thank you.

Big Dawg
11-26-2010, 11:34
Thanks for sharing.... sad news indeed. I hope Emily is surrounded by love, compassion, and guidance.

Skidsteer
11-26-2010, 11:34
What a horrible thing to have happen.

I will surely pray for her.

Rocket Jones
11-26-2010, 12:30
Hopefully she'll remember the love and good times she had with her father.

Mountain Wildman
11-26-2010, 12:51
The type of person that Emily has become is a direct result of her father and her family, Therefore he must have been a very special man.
The second he passed, he left his flesh body and joined our heavenly father in his new spiritual body, He no longer has pain or sorrow and is enveloped in the loving arms of our heavenly father and is experiencing joy such as we cannot imagine.
Emily and her family are most definitely in my prayers and will remain there.
May GOD touch Emily and her family with His all encompassing love.

Rain Man
11-26-2010, 13:05
On behalf of Robert, please take a short moment to think of his family, but most of all, a kind thought or prayer for Emily, and a hope that she will find a way to cope with the years of internal conflict she will face because of the unfortunate timing of this tragedy.

May sound trite, but sometimes problems are really opportunities. Maybe in coming years her birthday can remind her of all the good times with her Dad? It may be a day she can make to cherish and a time to be thankful?

In the meantime, will offer a prayer for her knowing that her heavenly Parent will never leave her nor fail to bless.

Rain Man

Rick500
11-26-2010, 13:15
My grandmother passed away on my birthday a couple years ago. That day was a sad one, naturally, but the two birthdays since have been good.

It may sound strange, but I feel like I share that day with her, and it's not a negative thing if you don't look at in a negative way. When that day comes around, I do remember that it's the anniversary of her passing, but I recall happy memories of my time with her and that's not a sad thing.

I hope that in time Emily will eventually be able to look at it this way. Best wishes to Emily and her family.

Rick500
11-26-2010, 13:16
(Rain Man, I was typing that as you were posting your message. It really can be as you suggested.)

HikerRanky
11-26-2010, 13:23
While this is indeed a sad event for Emily and everyone that knew Robert, it is also a time for celebration. No longer is Robert in any pain, and yet his memory will be cherished for all time by those very same people. Each of us have been shaped by each person that we have come to know.

Our sincere prayers for them during this time.

Randy

chiefduffy
11-26-2010, 13:35
Kneemail enroute.

danger zone
11-26-2010, 14:01
It really depends on how a particular person deals with it. She's too young to see how it will affect her, yet. My grandfather was buried on my mothers birthday, and then, my father passed away on her birthday 3 yrs ago. She is not, and will not ever be the same. I tried to give her the point of view that God took them on her b-day to end their suffering. And no, it did not go over well...
She and her family will be on 3 prayer lists very shortly

Blissful
11-26-2010, 15:20
So sorry to hear this. May the family find comfort during this time.

ShakeyLeggs
11-26-2010, 15:26
She is in my prayers

58starter
11-26-2010, 15:37
Why don't you post your address, so we can all send her Christmas Card, and you can give them to her.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2010, 15:54
i feel for this little girl. my mother died 2 days after my 8th birthday unexpectedly after a very brief illness. turned my world upside down and backwards for sure. she'll get through this.

jerseydave
11-26-2010, 16:01
Why don't you post your address, so we can all send her Christmas Card, and you can give them to her.

I actually posted this without their knowledge.
After doing so I wondered how it would be taken, should they find out that I shared their situation.
I don't know how I would approach the family with the cards and thoughts, even though I'm sure all intentions would be as heartfelt and sincere as mine were for posting this.

I truly appreciate the kind gesture, but I'm not sure how it may be taken.

Dave

4eyedbuzzard
11-26-2010, 19:34
I think it's fine that you posted it Dave. Obviously, you have a connection to Emily and her family even though you didn't know her father well. But since you know Emily well, you have a personal connection and relationship, and it would be normal for you, and your daughter of course, to grieve both for yourselves but even more for Emily's loss of her father. There's absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your caring thoughts.

I would not, however, post any personal info about the family on a public discussion board. Worst case the info may be abused by commercial interests, but even barring any inappropriate use, the family simply may not welcome it.

With my best wishes for Emily and her family.

Tinker
11-26-2010, 21:26
My heart and prayers are with Emily and her family. Hopefully they reflect upon the gift that Robert was and the gift of life that he gave to his children as the season of Thanksgiving rolls around each year with Emily's birthday. I still miss my dad who died a week before 9/11. I'm thankful that we had a chance to make up (my decision was to forgive him without him asking for it and then realizing that I was the one holding the bitterness). It freed me from the guilt that often comes to many who don't reconcile before the death of a parent, sibling, or other relative.

Give thanks. :)

Pringles
11-28-2010, 20:11
She's in my thoughts.

My mother died two days before my birthday, and I am grateful she didn't die on my birthday. Sounds like a silly thing to be grateful for, but I am. Emily will be in my prayers.

Pringles

sheepdog
11-28-2010, 20:22
Kneemail enroute.

I like that. Ditto :)

jerseydave
11-29-2010, 06:43
Thank you to everyone.

C Seeker
11-29-2010, 07:55
Robert and Emily will be in my prayers. I hope that with here being a little younger it wil not affect her as much as it would if she would be a teenager in high school where you try to figure out yourself. Thank you for caring and loving the family. God Bless