PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Tec tundra II Trail runners?

TheYoungOne
11-26-2010, 21:11
Sports Authority has these on clearence for $39. I have seen them briefly at REI, but I have zero experience with Hi-tec. They are supposedly waterproof, and in handling them they seem to have a shank, which is odd for a trail runner, but it may be good for me since I hike the rocky parts of the AT in PA.

Anyone have any experience with them.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:MPmqtogZMDcjYM:http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x287/luki182/TUNDRAIIWP-2.jpg&t=1

burntoutphilosopher
11-26-2010, 21:18
my mom day hikes in some hi techs i get her at REI-outlet deal of the deal.

obviously she doesn't do major miles, but she likes them, waterproofing has held up so far for about a year and she finds them comfortable.

this is as close as i can come to a 'review' never owned them for myself, but they don't seem popular o you might have trouble getting first hand reviews.

pjkirk
11-26-2010, 23:49
I've had some Hi-Tecs before (not that model). Generally comfortable and reasonable construction (seemed good for the price at least). When they wore-out it was almost immediate....all padding was pretty much non-existent one day.

Mags
11-28-2010, 20:44
Hi-tecs are what I call 'bread and butter' shoes: Nothing fancy, gets the job done and at a reasonable price.

I did the last chunk of the CDT in Hi-tecs. FWIW, when I use boots (mainly trail work and alpine climbing), the Hi-Tec Altitudes are the one boot I've been buying consistently since 2003.

TheYoungOne
01-11-2011, 01:07
So I bought a pair last month and just an update..there are so far pretty good.

Just to start off I took out the insoles in them and replaced them with superfeet insoles since I have a case of PF and I have been testing a few different insoles. I will say the factory insoles in them seemed really thin.

Other than that I love these sneakers/trail runners. They claim to be water proof and so far I have to had an issue. I trugged in a light rain and in 2 to 3 inch deep snow and my feet stayed dry. I done some serious walking in them, however no hiking or running yet. They are comfortable again with the superfeet insoles, and still look new after a month of abuse.

One other drawback is the hard rubber soles when new are slick on wet surfaces. Once you wear them in a little they will be fine.

Not bad for $39. As Mags said, definately "Bread and Butter" hiking footwear.

SawnieRobertson
01-13-2011, 18:51
I hiked with Hi Techs for several happy years. They were lightweight, needed no breaking in, never caused a blister. Then in 1999, when I was preparing for the AT. I thought to myself, "I ought to get some boots that are more solid." So I did.

Tossed my Hi Techs. They were not good enough for me anymore.

Vasque Sundowners were the bomb. They were also the best fit I could get at Outdoor World in my then hometown of Estes Park. (I'd bought the Hi Techs there back when they were good enough for me.)

Sundowners ruined my feet. Plantar fasciitis and a pummeled left great toe, two surgeries later, I'm back looking for the right Hi Tech for me. When I added in a damaged right knee that's going out again this year only because I finally had a usable brace prescribed by a Roanoke PA who hikes, only because of that can I go. And the word from both the podiatrist and the wonderful PA is to go light on the shoes--thus, Hi Tech is on my shopping list.--Kinnickinic (PS: That is, if I can EVER get through the snow and ice on my driveway.)

trailangelbronco
01-13-2011, 20:27
Hi Tech is one of those brands that are very under rated and a favorite of mine. Columbia is another. I think that low price and availibility at lower price stores fools alot of people.

fiddlehead
01-13-2011, 21:44
Years ago they were considered a low-end shoe.
Cheap price. Cheap shoe.
Works Ok but wears out quickly.

Sounds like things haven't changed in that regard.
I would buy them. (i'm cheap)

Still forever searching for my Montrail Vitesse's in size 11. (discontinued but search on ebay weekly) (they went the way of the Ford slant 6 motor, it was too good so they discontinued it)