PDA

View Full Version : New England

Lillianp
11-27-2010, 00:24
Hey all!

I've recently gotten the itchy 'go hiking' bug returned to me after a three month absence post-thru hike, so I was wondering if anyone else in the Southern New England area wanted to do some weekend hiking? I'm thinking sometime in the next month or two.. But I recognize the holidays are coming up and the next two weekends are a big fat no for me. I've got (currently-situation may hopefully change) fridays-sundays off and would love to do a short loop or end-to-end hike with some others!

I'm not a super experienced winter hiker (don't like snowshoes/ice axes) but I started my thru hike on the 26th of February and went through half the smokes-would've done the other half, but I had some knee issues. Rooster's pictures in the smokies really do it justice-I was about a day behind him.

So, I'm thinking either AT in CT-MA maybe southern VT or another trail-my brother mentioned the pemi in NH, but I'm not sure how exposed/wintry that one gets, so I don't know. Possibly the midstate/metacomet monadnock trail?

Love to hear from some other new englanders who need to get out on trail!

-Em/Crash Course

Driver8
11-27-2010, 00:30
Love to hear from some other new englanders who need to get out on trail!

-Em/Crash Course

Em:

I'm game, though only on a day-hiker basis. Headed out to do something in the Bear/Everett area in the morning. I'm crampon-free, non-snowshod, as yet. So icy + rocky can be an issue for me. But I may just snag some crampons yet. PM me if you like.

Cheers,

Chris/Camelmilk

Lillianp
11-27-2010, 01:09
Just discovered the Tully Trail. 22 miles and if planned right-11 on one day to a shelter and 11 back to car! So I might do that really soon. Will let you all know.

canoehead
11-27-2010, 20:06
You could do a 17/18mi trip from jug End Road, MA to Salisbury CT snow shoes might be needed or at least some sort of traction I use the Kahtoola Micro Spikes for around here MA/CT. You'll need a 0'degree bag in December. It's a great doable trip for winter.
It's snowing here now in the Berkshires our first snow to cover the ground.

Lillianp
11-27-2010, 20:14
Thanks Canoehead!

It rather looks like I'm destined to become very very familiar with that section of trail-I started there for my shakedown a year and a half ago, I was there for an overnight in january and hiked thru on my thru-hike.

Regardless, it's a gorgeous section of trail that's fairly decently easy which is good.

canoehead
11-27-2010, 22:42
I use the area all the time for my programs I run so I know it's good for short fun winter loops. There's so many choices. No Bugs No Bears. We are always looking to head out so stay in touch maybe put a small group together.

Driver8
11-28-2010, 02:00
You could do a 17/18mi trip from jug End Road, MA to Salisbury CT snow shoes might be needed or at least some sort of traction I use the Kahtoola Micro Spikes for around here MA/CT. You'll need a 0'degree bag in December. It's a great doable trip for winter.
It's snowing here now in the Berkshires our first snow to cover the ground.

I was out there today. The snow squalls came in in force atop Bear about 10:30 am. Were fearsome. When we arrived at summit, at 10:15, we could see the Catskills. By 10:30 it was snowing so much that we could only see the immediately neighboring mtns and the Housy valley. What a pretty day! First time for me to do Paradise Lane - we played it safe and ascended south side of Bear, then upon hearing north side was safe, descended that way and then PL to UM. What a nice trail.

Bear's quite the beauty from all angles - still need to do Bear Mtn Road and the trail down directly to the NW Cabin, which a couple guys we met today were doing. Love it out there!

Lillianp
11-29-2010, 20:11
Oh wow, Driver8, sounds like fun!

Canoehead-I will certainly let you know when the itch gets too strong to ignore! :) Will probably head out that way at some point in the next month and a half.

Des
11-29-2010, 20:54
Just discovered the Tully Trail. 22 miles and if planned right-11 on one day to a shelter and 11 back to car! So I might do that really soon. Will let you all know.

I did the Tully a couple months back and its a nice trail with a well-maintained shelter. If you do go, I recommend taking the short jaunt out to 'the ledges' by the eastern part of the trail, the view is definitely worth it. Also the section along the powerlines near there wasn't fully marked (and at least then, pretty overgrown with thorns) so pay extra attention if you are coming up from the south or you can just double back and take the lake trail to bypass the powerline section.

Driver8
11-30-2010, 00:56
Where's the Tully? I'm gonna try and find it in the Mass AMC Guide book. Love that book and the maps!

Driver8
11-30-2010, 01:02
Em:

You may have seen where I posted this, but I checked on Monadnock - my friend Jay and I were going to do it Saturday. Ranger told me it's solid ice the last 1/4 of the way up on all trails. I take that to mean all the exposed rock from 2700 or so to the top is solid ice. I thanked her for the info and said "See you in spring!" I'm gonna break in on winter hiking this year with easier stuff in CT, maybe some Mass, as I have no experience with it to date. Up for it, but baby steps first. ...

Des
11-30-2010, 18:16
Where's the Tully? I'm gonna try and find it in the Mass AMC Guide book. Love that book and the maps!

Its up in Royalston, just north of Athol. You can find information including a map at http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/places-to-stay/tully-lake-campground/tully-trail.html. If you check in with the camp office, they have a more detailed, water-resistant map they will give you for free (Far nicer than the printouts I am used to at the state parks).

Also, if you want a longer hike, the Tully aligns with the M&M in the north by the shelter and its about 17-18 miles to the summit of Mt. Monadnock.

CTGuy
11-30-2010, 19:14
Hey I would be interested in some weekend trips sometime in January just let me know when you were thinking. The Mass section would be good, or even the New York section, and southern Vermont would be good. I would not be as keen on the CT section since you can't have fires, which kinda stinks especially in winter. The Pemi is kinda crazy in the winter unless you have full winter gear with ice axe and crampons. I cannot imagine being up on Franconia Notch 5000+ feet up with 0 degree or lower temperatures plus frequent winds/ windchills that can gust over 50 miles per hour.

Ironbelly
11-30-2010, 22:59
I go out year roung, rain, sleet, shine, or snow. If you or anyone in the CT area want to plan some trips or do some day hikes just let me know. I try to get out quite often.

There are plenty of trails in the CT area that don't require full winter gear, and allow fires. I like doing the Tunxis in the winter.

CTGuy
12-01-2010, 01:26
Thats really cool. I hike the Tunxis Trail frequently it is one of my all time favorite trails in CT its a nice peaceful trail but never have camped out on it. I have only seen a couple people ever in all my times hiking it. My favorite part that I've done is the Indian Council Caves in New Hartford and the Tory's Den section in Burlington is really nice too. I have always imagined it is probably ok to camp off the trail as long as you are not on private property but was never completely sure? I always thought that open fires were prohibited in CT period, except at campgrounds where you can get a permit? I still have a few weeks left of school, but we should plan something I'm always up for hiking the Tunxis Trail or AT.

Driver8
12-01-2010, 07:47
I always thought that open fires were prohibited in CT period, except at campgrounds where you can get a permit?

I believe this is correct.

I'd like to get out to Greylock and/or Stratton during the winter. Monadnock, I hear, is solid ice at the top, above 2700 or so. Not sure I'm ready for that - need to buy crampons! But G/L and Stratton s/b doable. I'd love to do a Stratton-Arlington to the Pond to the Summit and back loop hike. Not sure I'm ready for winter camping, though. That'll take some convincing! :)

canoehead
12-01-2010, 09:30
Don't be afraid to camp in the winter take small steps to be successful, plan for it with the right gear, self awareness and attitude and do it where you can bale out if you really need to.

Ironbelly
12-01-2010, 10:05
Fires ARE allowed in CT, period, regardless of location. HOWEVER, it is requested by the AMC that fires be posted as prohibited on the AT in CT due to the inaccesability to the trail of firefighters in the event for a forest fire. There is no actual law or ordance against having a fire on the AT, it is just an observed law on behalf of the AMC.

As far as all of the other trails in CT, they require a backpacking permit from the DEP, or written permission from the private land owner. Permits are free, and I get them all the time. Fires are allowed at all established campsites, and this included backpacking camp sites. They do ask you to follow all current fire bans if any are in place due to conditions.

I think I am going to do a trip next weekend Dec 10-12 if you would be interested CTGuy. Planning to do the the Tunxis from Roaring brook to Hurricane Brook, and back to Roaring Brook. I can add you or anyone for that matter, to the permit once I get it.

Migrating Bird
12-01-2010, 20:45
FYI I was camped at Sages Ravine a couple of weeks ago and a ridge runner made another party put out a fire and told us that fires were not allowed. Fire danger was very low.

Ironbelly
12-01-2010, 20:51
Like I said, the AMC holds a no fire stance on the CT portion of the AT. There is by no means a law or legal ordance restricting such(believe me I searched high and low through town and state law/ordanance). If it is posted, then obey the postings simple as that.

On any other trail in CT though, have a fire to your hearts content as long as the fire danger warrants, and it's in a designated backpacking site that you are occupying with a permit.

Driver8
12-01-2010, 21:05
From Connecticut Walk Book West, p. 15: "Camp and cook fires are prohibited along the AT throughout Connecticut."

From the Connecticut Forest and Park Association's website, ctwoodland.org/node/136: "Campfires are not permitted along the Blue-Blazed Hiking Trails except at designated sites with permission of the landowner." "Landowner" might include a town or city, I expect. The safe bet in CT is to assume on the AT and the blue-blazed trail system that fires are illegal.

Driver8
12-01-2010, 21:07
Don't be afraid to camp in the winter take small steps to be successful, plan for it with the right gear, self awareness and attitude and do it where you can bale out if you really need to.

I plan to start with warm-weather camping first and build up. May yet change my mind this winter. Likes me my warm bed and feline warming systems. ...

Ironbelly
12-01-2010, 21:24
Key words being "designated campsite/site / established fire ring", which there are plenty of on blue blazed trails, you just need a permit from the DEP. Which takes all of about 2 minutes to get by sending an email to the appropiate headquarters. And also, the CFPA is a private non-profit organization that relies on members and supporters to carry out its mission and does not have legal jurisdiction anywhere on any topic nor any authority.

If it isn't a DEP , state, or town ordenance/law then it is not "illegal"

Now don't take what I am saying the wrong way. I am not saying that just because it's technically legal to go around having a fire anywhere it's posted not to have one. Obey all postings, because they are there for a reason whether you understand why or not. And organizations like the CFPA are around to help protect the lands and resources and protect the trails that we love so much. I just think there is a big misunderstanding with hikers/backpackers in CT that fires are banned everywhere, so I am trying to educate the community a little.

There are plenty of places where you can have a fire, in CT to name a few, you can have a fire on the Mohawk Trail, the Tunxis Trail, Metacomet Trail, Nipmuck Trail, Natchaug Trail, Pachaug Trail, Mattabesset Trail and several others.

Driver8
12-01-2010, 21:35
I with they'd let people camp more on the blue blazers, but I think b/c so much of them are on private land, whether water company or otherwise, it's safer just to say no, though as you say, I understand there are a few places where one can, such as at Macedonia Brook. ... I'd enjoy camping out by a nice fire under the right circumstances - will check further on the relevants rules and regs. Sounds like on the AT, though, it's a big "no."

adamkrz
12-01-2010, 21:53
There are 3 places on the tunxis trail that are designated for backpacker camping.

Lillianp
12-01-2010, 22:49
Driver8 I learned very quickly what winter camping/backpacking was like this year. it's not too difficult, just takes some consideration of gear-a little moreso than summer camping/backpacking. I too am not ready for the crampons/technical stuff however. I just enjoy getting out in the snow & whatnot.

Ironbelly-where is that in CT?

Driver8
12-02-2010, 00:36
So, let's do a canvass of the group - who's for heading out to SW Mass for a Race Brook/Everett/Race hike, there and back (alternative - park a second car at Elbow Trailhead, in case Everett is slick and icy and so an unpleasant descent, always possible this time of year).

Em, I know you can't do it for the next couple of weekends. Anyone else who can and wants to? If Everett doesn't work, anyone up for Mile of Ledges in Burlington/Bristol area? I'm looking to do anything in the 5-10 mile range. Saturday I'm probably getting together with my friend locally for a short hike, given his time constraints. Let's try to put a plan together. If more convenient, you can e-mail me at [email protected] (only one "s").

Ironbelly
12-02-2010, 08:18
This weekend due to having to work and a prior commitment on Sunday afternoon/evening. I am only free for a day hike Sunday. I will probally do the mile of ledges area and start around 3 or 4 am so that I can get back early. On my weekends off however I am usually up for just about anything.

Lillianp, where is what in CT? the Tunxis? It runs from southington, ct to the mass border, think it's 59 miles in total. It has a few mile break just north of southington. Passes towns in roughly this order, southington,bristol,burlington,farmington,new hartford, west granby, and I forget what the northern most one is.

Driver8
12-02-2010, 08:35
3-4 AM is too early for me. Hope you enjoy your hike, Ironbelly!

Lillianp
12-02-2010, 18:30
Ironbelly-you guessed correctly.

Driver8, Yeah-I'm not free this weekend, but I'll be free in January. Next weekend is backpacking on the tunxis trail! Super excited. :)

Driver8
12-04-2010, 21:18
Got out to the Southington section of the Tunxis trail system for the first time today. Really enjoyed the Steep Climb trail, as well as Compounce Ridge and part of the Compounce Cascades trail. Great views from atop Compounce Mtn, crystal clear day. The brooks were running flush with water today. Red letter day. First exploration of the Tunxis system, but certainly only the first. Looking forward to more!

Driver8
12-04-2010, 21:19
Next weekend is backpacking on the tunxis trail! Super excited. :)

What section and which day/s? I'd enjoy meeting up with you for a section or so, if that can be arranged. ...

Migrating Bird
12-05-2010, 08:46
Hi I live just north of I90 (Mass Pike) and just west of the AT. I am up for some hikes/overnights especially the south Taconics - great area. Getting a little snow today. Also could help with shuttle if schedule won't allow overnights.

Des
12-05-2010, 21:59
Looks like a lot of us aren't free until January. If anyone does decide to do something then, I'll finally be out of school and definitely game to join in too.

Lillianp
12-06-2010, 19:17
It's so great to see so many people expressing interest in a weekend hike in January! I'll check on my calendar, but I think sometime in the middle of January would probably work best. I'll probably look first at the AT since I don't actually know any other long distance trails around. If anyone else does know of ones in the Taconics or western Mass, post it here!

Migrating Bird thanks for the offer! Hopefully you will be able to hike with us!

Migrating Bird
12-06-2010, 19:44
There are some neat hikes in the southern taconics, on the west side is the south taconic trail, the approach from the southern terminus is a climb but well worth it (there may be some icy ledges). The views to the west are similar to the views from the AT on Race Mt. to the east. There are lots of really neat spots and un-like the AT I believe fires are allowed. There is even a small cabin in a notch on Alander Mt. Water should not be a problem as we have made up our deficit. A great map of the area is available at http://www.bnrc.net/map.htm. January works much better for me.

Happy Holidays to All

M. Bird

Ironbelly
12-06-2010, 22:14
Middle of January would probally work well for me also. Still waiting on my work schedule to come out, so not sure about the dates now.

If anyone else is interested in the Tunxis Trail this weekend let me know. I am heading out friday night after work, and Lillianp is gonna meet up Sat morning. I have a permit and can easily add a few people if anyones interested. If your interested shoot me a pm or an email.

takethisbread
12-11-2010, 11:56
I am doing Dalton to North Adams over 2 days January 14-15.

I welcome partners. I'm hoping to camp before Greylock, then climb up over it in the morning and go down into North Adams. (then I'm checking out a show at Mass Moca.)

Driver8
12-12-2010, 06:15
takethisbread:

Not sure if I can make Greylock area with you, would like to, but may not yet have crampons by that time. You're doing a Friday/Saturday? Where do you think you'd camp? I'd be joining you Sat AM.
------

I very much enjoyed hiking with Ironbelly yesterday. Met up on the north shoulder of Pine Mtn and made our way north on the Tunxis - I road walked on the dirt forest Pine Mtn Road from 179. I missed the views from Pine Mtn and the views of Barkhamsted Reservoir were minimal, but there were several pretty brooks, especially Roberts Brook and Morley, both of which were very icy, though passable easily enough and which had very nice icy cascades near the trail. Roberts has northern tributary with a very sharp ravine feeding into it, at a point where the ravine Roberts cuts is itself similarly sharp and steep to Sages over on the AT. The trail crosses Roberts upstream in a more level section. Very pretty country with a lot of nice Hemlock groves.

Ironbelly and his dog were great company and the day was beautiful - a light coating of snow over everything in the morning, with the west- and north-facing slopes melting by afternoon, with the 20 F chill of the earlier morning giving way to 40-ish on the warmer slopes by afternoon. At 11 miles, round trip, it was my longest hike yet by about 2.5 miles, my longest this year by about 3.8. Fortunately, for me, minimal on the elevation changes, maybe a total for the day of 2K feet. I was *bushed* even so.

Not sure how much lower than 20 F I want to go - my hands and feet felt the chill at times, even through good new gloves and warm wool socks - but I'm very much enjoying winter hiking.

Ironbelly
12-12-2010, 13:19
Driver8, here's a link to the album with the pics from this weekend.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2100782&id=1245436773&l=4e15d7450e

I didn't take too many pictures this time since I have been through the area several times before

Driver8
12-12-2010, 13:35
Hi Ironbelly:

Nice pics! I made an album of photos, too, here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1321623751&aid=105433. Will post the pics of you and your pup in there, too, if you like - just let me know.

Hope to get out on trail with you again, soon, when schedules permit.

Cheers,

Chris

takethisbread
12-12-2010, 15:46
takethisbread:

Not sure if I can make Greylock area with you, would like to, but may not yet have crampons by that time. You're doing a Friday/Saturday? Where do you think you'd camp? I'd be joining you Sat AM.
------

I'm thinking Mark Noepel lean to.

I did this hike last winter and wore no campons. I guess I will watch the weather, but I just used the often useless yaktrax and they were ok. But the snow wasn't too too bad .

Keep in touch.

Lillianp
12-12-2010, 16:07
Takethisbread,
I would join you, but I'm unsure of my work as of yet, so we'll see.

As for group hike, would an end to end work well? Two nights with the majority of hiking being Saturday and finishing up Sunday morning? I am parsing through the (seemingly, I guess) disorganized information out there with all of the winter allowed camping in Mass/Conn/NY. I like Migrating Bird's idea of the South Taconics. There is some camping there near Alander?

I do work better off guidebooks (habit learned from AT, naturally) so It's taking me a bit to work through the maps, figure out distances, etc.

-Em

Migrating Bird
12-12-2010, 20:12
There is a camp site about 1 mile in from the Washington State Forest headquarters. Check out this map.
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mt-washington.gif There is also a group site where the Alander trail crosses Ashley Brook.

sasquatch2014
12-12-2010, 20:42

I did this hike last winter and wore no campons. I guess I will watch the weather, but I just used the often useless yaktrax and they were ok. But the snow wasn't too too bad .

Keep in touch.

yeah well you are an idiot so I may just have to try and meet up with you to make sure you make it over this hill alive. If you die who is going to hike into the Winter Warmer with me? Trust me it is purely selfish reason that I might even think about such a stupid hike.

By the way screw CT and their stupid ass no fire law. Come on down to NY we welcome fires hell tell me where you are and I'll help hike the wood and fire strater in. I bet in 20 min's we can get jets that were to land at JFK come in low with the fire we will have.

Yes I know I have added almost nothing of any merit to this thread. Hence my job is done. I say Good Night!!!!

Sarcasm the elf
12-12-2010, 22:53
By the way screw CT and their stupid ass no fire law. Come on down to NY we welcome fires hell tell me where you are and I'll help hike the wood and fire strater in. I bet in 20 min's we can get jets that were to land at JFK come in low with the fire we will have.

As a proud life-long Connecticut resident, I have to totally agree. Eastern NY is fun in the winter and a great place go if you want to ease yourself into winter backpacking. Several of the campsites are far enough from the road to give you a good hike, but close enough to the trailhead to let you get back if you get into any trouble. I have no idea why CT is more flammable than it's neighbors, but I usually abandon the place when the temps drop much below freezing.

Sasquatch, I see you are from Pawling. Do you know if there is any place on Duell Hollow road to park overnight legally during the winter? Last December when I was up there I parked roadside (I couldn't find any other parking because of the snow banks). The authorities were nice enough to leave me a polite warning note instead of a ticket, however I'd prefer not to test their patience.

Driver8
12-12-2010, 23:10

Keep in touch.

OK. Well if weather isn't too forbidding and I can get someone to do the two cars gig with me, I could give it a go. Another alternative would be for me (and partner/s) to hike up from the north and join you somewhere - War Memorial, points north? - and then double back and head north from point of meeting. That'd give me good steep elevation gain experience with the north side of the beast. ...

I'd really enjoy seeing Saddle Ball's forest in the winter, though. Such a pretty place. ...

Lillianp
12-13-2010, 18:16
There is a camp site about 1 mile in from the Washington State Forest headquarters. Check out this map.
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mt-washington.gif There is also a group site where the Alander trail crosses Ashley Brook.

I didn't see the campsite a mile in from the headquarters, but I can see the group site marked 2 miles in? That looks like a really good option-hike in Friday evening for those who can make it out for then and hike around on Saturday, return on Saturday evening, perhaps?

I was also thinking maybe doing an end to end Somewhere in Southern mass-somewhere just past Great Barrington to the North Wilcox or South Wilcox shelter to upper goose pond and out on to Rte 20?

takethisbread
12-14-2010, 07:42
yeah well you are an idiot so I may just have to try and meet up with you to make sure you make it over this hill alive. If you die who is going to hike into the Winter Warmer with me? Trust me it is purely selfish reason that I might even think about such a stupid hike.

Yes I know I have added almost nothing of any merit to this thread. Hence my job is done. I say Good Night!!!!

I'll be alive still for the warmer for sure.

As for Greylock, I guess We may have something. It'll be tough, but there's a liquor store on the other side!

CTGuy
12-26-2010, 10:42
I have this coming week off until friday or Saturday was wondering if anyone would be interested in a hiking trip or even a overnight, in Mass, CT or Ny?

Wil
12-26-2010, 12:33
I have this coming week off until friday or Saturday was wondering if anyone would be interested in a hiking trip or even a overnight, in Mass, CT or Ny?Well, I tried to post detail of a trip I'm doing Tuesday afternoon through late Friday morning, but the Forum timed out on me and wouldn't post after re-logging in; the post is gone.

In summary: I'm starting at the Ranger Headquarters roughly at the southern intersection of West and East Streets, going N on the AT over Race and Everett, camping at Glen Brook shelter.

Then N over Bushnell, immediately descending ravine W down into Jug End Loop area, ascending Whitbeck and overnighting on the bank of Karner Brook. Then crossing Mt Washington Road and ascending woods road W up to South Taconics Trail north of Prospect Hill. South on STT, overnighting well-off-trail just S of Bashbish.

Friday morning swing east on Alander Mt Trail back to car.

I won't know for sure if I'm doing this until mid-day Monday. It is possible I may have to compress it to two-nighter Wed & Thurs, longer days and a maybe a bit of a push given the likely new snow.

CTGuy
12-26-2010, 14:46
Sounds good let me know more details when you get it figured out.

Roland
12-26-2010, 19:35
Well, I tried to post detail of a trip I'm doing Tuesday afternoon through late Friday morning, but the Forum timed out on me and wouldn't post after re-logging in; the post is gone.

~

Wil,

Here are two strategies to help avoid this problem.

1. When you log onto WB, check the box that says "Remember Me?".

2. After composing your post, but before submitting it, copy the entire post. That way if your computer hangs during the post, you can paste your text into a new window and try again.

Driver8
12-27-2010, 01:00
I'm heading out of state for a week - down south where it's warmer - this Friday, and my time is scarce in the meantime. I may get out tomorrow near home to enjoy the plentiful new powder, we'll see. :)

takethisbread
12-27-2010, 20:25
I'm still up for doing some hiking anywhere from ny/nj to mass.
Nobody wants to play with me! I'm bored.

Lillianp
12-27-2010, 23:55
I'm still up for doing some hiking anywhere from ny/nj to mass.
Nobody wants to play with me! I'm bored.

Guh. So am I. Bored that is. Sadly, My weekends are spoken for until practically february. And one of them's only to babysit my 17 year old sister for a weekend. And by babysit, I mean making sure she eats and doesn't throw a rager in my parent's house. Otherwise, free to go about my business. Solely in the eastern mass area though. So no hiking that weekend.

Yes, I realize I'm whining. What do people think about the last weekend in Jan? I'm still waiting to hear about a job, which may affect how my weekend schedule/hiking schedule is, but hopefully, I'll be able to get out for a bit that weekend.

Driver8
12-28-2010, 04:22
Yes, I realize I'm whining. What do people think about the last weekend in Jan? I'm still waiting to hear about a job, which may affect how my weekend schedule/hiking schedule is, but hopefully, I'll be able to get out for a bit that weekend.

Hope you can make it, too. Bet it'll be pretty by then - probably lots of snow (Santa got me microspikes :) ) and certainly more sunlight. Fingers crossed!

Ironbelly
12-29-2010, 20:41
Looks like I have the weekend of 1/22-23 free if anyone wants to plan a trip.

I would be interested in anywhere within about 3-4 hours drive of Northern/Central CT area. I'm not against night hiking either.

For winter hiking I strongly prefer a locale that allows fires.

I will have Juno my siberian husky with me, she is pretty good, Driver8 has met her.

I have snowshoes, microspikes and don't care if it's on trail or off. I however do not currently have an ice axe.

We have about a month, so if anyone is interested in planning something that would be great, otherwise I am going somewhere solo regardless.

Driver8
12-29-2010, 21:09
Looks like I have the weekend of 1/22-23 free if anyone wants to plan a trip.

Howsabout a Stratton loop? Stratton-Arlington to summit to Pond? I can then make my way back to S/A and drive home from there. My only concern is whether my car will have issues with backcountry VT roads.

Anyone know how far west Stratton-Arlington is plowed? Until pavement's end, or to AT/LT trailhead?

Alternatively, we could tromp around in the NY/CT/MA taconics, with an emphasis on non-CT at fire-setting times. Or Greylock area. I'm open to other ideas, for that matter.

CTGuy
12-30-2010, 16:26
That sounds good or Racebrook falls in Sheffield to Great Barrington on the AT in Mass or Bulls Bridge to depot hill road is nice on the AT in NY or even the tunxis trail would be really nice since it is really close. Let me know if anyone is looking to go on a hike before that, as i have plenty of time to go.

takethisbread
12-30-2010, 18:12
That sounds good or Racebrook falls in Sheffield to Great Barrington on the AT in Mass or Bulls Bridge to depot hill road is nice on the AT in NY or even the tunxis trail would be really nice since it is really close. Let me know if anyone is looking to go on a hike before that, as i have plenty of time to go.

Make that a 2-3 day hike and go from
Undermountain rd in CT to great Barrington and that seems like a fun trip.

Ironbelly
12-30-2010, 19:16
I love the Tunxis in winter, don't have to twist my arm for that one(especially since it's about 20 minutes from my house). But am more than willing to go some place new as well. The closer it is to home the better, as my weekends free seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

Driver8
12-31-2010, 00:25
I like the idea of the Taconics. May be able to do it weekend after next, when I return from vaca, weather permitting.

Lillianp
01-07-2011, 21:50
I really want to goooo but I have to watch the sister that weekend. I'm hoping I can get out that last weekend in Jan. Maybe the Tunxis trail? I'd really like to do that one.

Ironbelly
01-08-2011, 22:22
For the last weekend of Jan I have the 28th available for an overnight but that's it sadly. Planing on the Tunxis. Your are welcome to join me, but I have other commitments that weekend so It will only be Friday night the 28th for me.

CTGuy
01-10-2011, 22:54
I would be up for doing an overnight on the tunxis trail then. I have Wednesday through friday off this weekend and probably Tuesday to Friday or Saturday next week if anyone is looking to do some kind of hiking trip then.

Tinker
01-11-2011, 00:04
Lillianp-
I'm doing a hike into Duncannon from the 501 shelter with Sasquatch for the Winter Warmer at The Doyle hotel on the last weekend of Feb. (hiking Thurs. / overnight Thurs. night / into Duncannon Fri. pm for the Warmer.
You're welcome to come along if you can make it to RI.
Offer is open to others, too. :)

takethisbread
01-11-2011, 11:43
Lillianp-
I'm doing a hike into Duncannon from the 501 shelter with Sasquatch for the Winter Warmer at The Doyle hotel on the last weekend of Feb. (hiking Thurs. / overnight Thurs. night / into Duncannon Fri. pm for the Warmer.

Hey I'm in on that Warmer Hike as well.

I'm heading out this weekend for a short hike, and at the end of the month I'm heading out for a Harpers Ferry to Front Royal, Va which is a nice winter hike for a few days.

Still looking for something else if anyone is game.

Tinker
01-12-2011, 01:32
Lillianp-

Oops!:o
Sasquatch reminded me that the hike into the warmer is from Rte. 325, not 501. I figured that we couldn't possibly hike over 40 miles in two days in the short days of winter.