PDA

View Full Version : down coat comparison White Sierra and Marmot

pfann
11-27-2010, 02:12
I found a White Sierra down coat on campmore for $70.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___95381

Does anyone have any experience with White Sierra (quality, sizing, durability, etc.)? Its a great price but I don't know much about the outfit

I was also looking at a Marmot Zeus down jacket for $120 at REI

http://www.rei.com/product/771737

Any comparison thoughts on the two coats. I know the Marmot has 800 fill down vs. the WS 600-fill, but I also know the $50 savings could go to some more gear if the quality of the WS is good.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

pfann

leaftye
11-27-2010, 03:56
I don't know about those jackets, but a higher fill power would allow it to pack down smaller if all else is equal. A smaller packed size allows you to use a smaller/lighter pack and clothing stuff sack.

springerfever
11-27-2010, 06:42
Big difference between 600 and 800 fill. Better fabric, lighter weight, better design.....I would spend the extra for the Marmot. Your core heat should be a major concern for your gear. The Marmot will probably fit you better.

You could always geat both, compare the two and then return one.

SoFlo
11-27-2010, 07:25
I have a White Sierra cold weather rain jacket and is very well made. I have seen other White Sierra products at our local Gander Mountain retailer and they all seem to be very good quality.

Toolshed
11-27-2010, 09:38
Note - This is my personal opinion based on my experiences with White Sierra and with Marmot.
White Sierra is a lower quality manufacturer. I had several fleeces and fleece pants from them about 20 years ago. Stitches came apart easily, snaps stopped "snapping together", fleece pilled up withn 2 washes and flattened out within a couple of wears, losing most of it's insulating abilities.
I put WS in the league with Walmart clothing. Go with known quality. Otherwise, In few years you'll be wishing you would have spent the extra $50 on quality, rather than likely on zipper repairs or sewning blown stitches.
As for Marmot clothing (Pants and jackets), I have never had a problem with stitches, zippers, snaps or the like.

burntoutphilosopher
11-27-2010, 12:04
i've never owned anything white sierra

but i have a good amount of marmot, a Bag, some soft shells, a tent, a fleece...
... A L L of them are excellent quality

as for the fill power thing, 600 fill power is pretty crumy by today's standards. but if weights of not concern, 10 ounces of 600 fill is still warmer than 3 ounces of 800 fill.

what white sierra jacket is not even goose down, it's duck feather / duck down blend.

the big thing is though, if you bougth the white sierra and never owned the marmot, would you even know what you wee missing? only you know that. i'd go with the higher end and work 2 extra hours of overtime or something to make it up.

finskie
11-27-2010, 22:15
If you are going for the higher fill, I would consider the eddie bauer (FA) Downlight sweater. 800 fill, great materials and workmanship, weighs less than 1 lb. Plus eddie has that lifetime guarantee that beats everyone else's. May be a little more than the marmot, but def. an awesome piece of gear.

Mountain Wildman
11-27-2010, 22:32
I have the Marmot Zeus in Vapor Blue.
It is a really nice jacket, Looks nice and is very good quality.
I thought about selling it and buying a Montbell EX Light jacket because it is a little lighter, But the Marmot Zeus is such a nice jacket that I decided to stick with it and not sweat the few extra ounces.
I have no experience with White Sierra so I cannot advise.

pfann
11-28-2010, 20:35
MARMOT it is!

I picked it up today in forest green. Doesn't look that foresty to me. My sons says I look like a fat Ninja Turtle.

But, I like the fit and feel and I can't wait to get out and put it through its paces.

Thanks all for the feedback.

-pfann

burntoutphilosopher
11-28-2010, 23:38
^^ i know how you feel about the colour, my MontBell down jacket ws half price but only in Rust colour, and man is it ... umm, intrusive.
at least i'll never be shot by a hunter ... and the fit and function is so perfect i forgive the colour.