PDA

View Full Version : Kieth Shaw's Passing Away

Blister
12-15-2004, 00:26
KEITH B. SHAW SR.

MONSON - Keith B. Shaw Sr., 75, died Dec. 7, 2004, at his home in Monson. He was born Sept. 1, 1929, in Hersey, Maine, the son of Solomon and Ressie (Botting) Shaw. He owned and operated a boarding home in Monson for many years and made many friends among the hikers of the Appalachian Trail. He is survived by his wife of 28 years, Pat (Boyington) Johnston Shaw of Monson; a son, Keith B. Shaw Jr. of Monson; a daughter and her husband, Kathleen and Joseph Chartier, of Danielson, Conn.; six stepchildren, Paul Johnston Jr. and his wife, Cathy, of Chester, Okla., Wayne Johnston and his wife, Debbie, of Woodward, Okla., Donna Chase and her husband, Dale, of Willimantic, Daralene Rinks and her husband, Warren, of Bangor, Dennis Plourde of Bangor, and Roberta of Vermont; a brother, Frank Shaw of Lee; two sisters, Ruth Daggett of Parkman, and Ada Shaw of Patten; several sisters and brothers-in-law; 16 grandchildren and 18 great-grand-children; many nieces, nephews and cousins. He was predeceased by a daughter, Marion Jean; two brothers and four sisters. Friends may call 3 p.m. until the time of the funeral service 4 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 9, 2004, at the Crosby & Neal Funeral Home, 21 Oak St., in Guilford, with Pastors Daryl Witmer and David Ray Jr. officiating. Spring burial will be in the Hersey Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home from noon until the time of the service. Those who wish may make donations in his memory to the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, P.O. Box 283, Augusta, ME 04332-0283.

Mountain Dew
12-15-2004, 03:00
He was nothing but nice to me when I stayed there in 2003 and reminded me of my own trully old school father. If I'm not mistaken his "hostel" is the oldest on the entire Appalachian Trail. Maine lost a true "Character" when he passed.

Seraphim
12-15-2004, 14:55
Oh dear, I saw this headline and... No Shaw? I am speechless. I met him this summer on my hike, and I am blessed to have been able to do so. He was infamous alive, now he is forever a legend. Hail Maine, hail Monson, and hail Shaw's- the most welcoming house on the whole darn thing.

:datz Does this mean the contest is over, Pie Lady?

jollies
12-16-2004, 14:48
I have been hearing rumors of this for a few days now and still can't believe it. I cannot say enough nice things about Mr. Shaw....he was extremely kind, thoughtful, and so much fun to be around. I will never forget my time I spent with him or his boarding house. I weep for him and his family....

Julia
12-16-2004, 16:11
Real hospitality is rare these days. If you are in a town and are offered a place to stay or pitch a tent without cost, you know there is a genuine spirit of hospitality. The low-cost accomodations at Shaws is the next best thing. Mr. Shaw's life was about service. He was unselfish and kindly to even those without money to contribute.:sun