PDA

View Full Version : Gallon of TVP??

Different Socks
11-27-2010, 03:23
How far would a gallon container go in regards to a average portion in a meal? What do you consider to be an average portion?

Different Socks
11-27-2010, 03:50
Is a #10 can equivalent to a gallon size container?

leaftye
11-27-2010, 03:53
Average is difficult to define. Why don't you pick a number of calories and a ratio of cals/carbs/fat? For now, the attached document can get you started...or even finished.

Different Socks
11-27-2010, 04:07
When on the trail, I don't really worry about correct ratios or number of caloriesin a meal. I just want it to taste good. Just thought in addition to salmon, tuna, crab, clams, pollack, turkey, chicken, and beef jerky, I'd add TVP to stretch the meats further.

BTW, the chart you suggested doesn't even have TVP on it.

couscous
11-27-2010, 09:52
A gallon of TVP would be about 60 ounces dry weight and have 66 (1/4 cup) servings. http://www.bobsredmill.com/tvp-textured-veg._protein.html
Recipes - http://www.vegalicious.org/category/ingredients/tvp/

Uncle Cranky
11-27-2010, 20:44
gallon=128 oz.
#10 can=99 oz.

TVP is reconstituted at a 5:4 ratio--5 parts TVP: 4 parts H2O

To reconstitute add the boiling water to the TVP and let stand for 10 minutes.

Roughly 1 and 2/3 cup TVP + 1 and 1/3 cup H2O = 1 pound of ground meat

Johnny Thunder
11-28-2010, 20:20
if it really is 66 1/4 cup servings then i'd say that you'll get 66 uses. i find that a 1/4 cup of tvp mixes well into a single lipton side without diluting the flavor much. more than that and you have to carry an additional seasoning packed or other spices.

mweinstone
11-29-2010, 01:43
shut up about the damm lipton. they suck. you know it. and your my friend. stop lien for your dad who makes em. in other news, johnney i miss you and freefall. come back. what the hell is korea but a cool word. you can vist korea on the web. come home johnney. come home freefall. hiking sucks totaly without you. baltimore jack has slipped into a deppresion and crys for you both. the dude is writting your life storys. i myself am sad. and you know i love you. stop hurting us. we are your family. the years will slip away and what will you be left with? lipton sides is what. youll be an old hermit and freefall a hermitess and both of you will have lipton sides for 3 meals aday cause in your old age you will forget the joys of life love and the pursuit of pork. and youll stay in korea and eat animals you once walked and horrid things will happen and me and jack and dude and mary and tricks and chomp and big ease and bloodymary and bonzo will cry.korea. humpf.....its like one letter away from koresh. america. now thats a word. dont you wanna sounmd cool when you tell chicks where your from? and koreas goin to war in like 30 minutes. get the hell home you sob. im kissing my arm, pretending im holding both of you in my arms. lol. matty.

Different Socks
11-29-2010, 02:02
shut up about the damm lipton. they suck. you know it. and your my friend. stop lien for your dad who makes em. in other news, johnney i miss you and freefall. come back. what the hell is korea but a cool word. you can vist korea on the web. come home johnney. come home freefall. hiking sucks totaly without you. baltimore jack has slipped into a deppresion and crys for you both. the dude is writting your life storys. i myself am sad. and you know i love you. stop hurting us. we are your family. the years will slip away and what will you be left with? lipton sides is what. youll be an old hermit and freefall a hermitess and both of you will have lipton sides for 3 meals aday cause in your old age you will forget the joys of life love and the pursuit of pork. and youll stay in korea and eat animals you once walked and horrid things will happen and me and jack and dude and mary and tricks and chomp and big ease and bloodymary and bonzo will cry.korea. humpf.....its like one letter away from koresh. america. now thats a word. dont you wanna sounmd cool when you tell chicks where your from? and koreas goin to war in like 30 minutes. get the hell home you sob. im kissing my arm, pretending im holding both of you in my arms. lol. matty.

:confused:

sarbar
11-30-2010, 21:33
Until you get used to TVP only use 1 to 2 Tbsp per meal - 1/4 cup is a lot once it rehydrates. It can cause er....."issues" down south till you get used to the fiber :D

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2010, 22:17

There are drugs or alcohol involved.

Different Socks
12-08-2010, 02:42
Well I went ahead and ordered the 6 pouch sampler from Harmony House. It should arrive any day now and I will try out each one in different recipes.

sarbar
12-08-2010, 12:38
Well I went ahead and ordered the 6 pouch sampler from Harmony House. It should arrive any day now and I will try out each one in different recipes.

The flavored ones are good. The "beef" does a good job of tasting/looking like hamburger.

Old Hiker
12-08-2010, 13:05

Forget it, he's rolling.

Northern Lights
12-21-2010, 23:11

I just ordered the HH TVP sampler as well, should have it by the end of this week. I'm going to try some of the recipes in the AT recipe book I have. Glad I read about the portions before I started to cook it up.

Different Socks
12-25-2010, 22:57
Until you get used to TVP only use 1 to 2 Tbsp per meal - 1/4 cup is a lot once it rehydrates. It can cause er....."issues" down south till you get used to the fiber :D

Are we talking Montezuma's Revenge or just alittle tootin'?

Cuz once I started experimenting with the TVP sampler I ordered, I noticed some tootin' after every trial. Good thing I am expanding the menu and TVP will be in only large amounts for 1 out of every 10 meals. Gotta remember to throw in some Beano in certain food drops.:banana

Different Socks
12-25-2010, 22:59
BTW, so far I've tried the ham, chicken and taco flavors. They all taste good. Better than I expected.

sarbar
12-28-2010, 16:41
Are we talking Montezuma's Revenge or just alittle tootin'?

Cuz once I started experimenting with the TVP sampler I ordered, I noticed some tootin' after every trial. Good thing I am expanding the menu and TVP will be in only large amounts for 1 out of every 10 meals. Gotta remember to throw in some Beano in certain food drops.:banana

Lol....it varies but honestly I think the gas is the worst if one gets it!:banana

centsless
12-28-2010, 17:25
BTW, so far I've tried the ham, chicken and taco flavors. They all taste good. Better than I expected.

Does the label state if it has MSG in it?

njordan2
12-28-2010, 17:43
What the heck is TVP? Let alone HH TVP?

Rocket Jones
12-28-2010, 17:55
What the heck is TVP? Let alone HH TVP?

Textured Vegetable Protein. HH = Harmony House, a supplier of TVP and more.

gunner76
12-29-2010, 01:25
TVP textured vegtable protein soy beans that have been process and used as a meat substitute, Can get plain, in beef, ham, chiken or taco flavor and different sizes.

sarbar
12-30-2010, 22:07
Does the label state if it has MSG in it?
I know Harmony House has the list of ingredients on their website for their products.

Roland
12-31-2010, 06:07
Lol....it varies but honestly I think the gas is the worst if one gets it!:banana

I've never had any desire to eat fake meat, but now you've piqued my interest. :D

Enic
01-10-2011, 01:31
I've never had any desire to eat fake meat, but now you've piqued my interest. :D

The "fake meat" is high in protien and fiber. One makes you strong the other makes you (un)popular in the shelter... depending on the crowd and acoustics. I like it because it rehydrates better than meat for me!