PDA

View Full Version : Dry sack?

jerseydave
11-27-2010, 10:18
The results of my search didn't seem to produce much.
Am I missing it or is this just a topic or piece of gear that doesn't have much interest?

I was thinking of picking up a few dry sacks to organize and protect my pack items. I looked em up on the BIG A website and checked out the reviews of some of the more popular ones.
Surprisingly it seems that these are disliked as much as liked by a lot of users.

Would I be wise to continue with the budget route of using heavy duty freezer ziplocks in various larger sizes (doubling if needed) to keep my stuff safely dry or are there many of you who like the dry sacks?

If the dry sack gets the vote..... which ones do you prefer?

Dave

Rocket Jones
11-27-2010, 10:23
The results of my search didn't seem to produce much.
Am I missing it or is this just a topic or piece of gear that doesn't have much interest?

I was thinking of picking up a few dry sacks to organize and protect my pack items. I looked em up on the BIG A website and checked out the reviews of some of the more popular ones.
Surprisingly it seems that these are disliked as much as liked by a lot of users.

Would I be wise to continue with the budget route of using heavy duty freezer ziplocks in various larger sizes (doubling if needed) to keep my stuff safely dry or are there many of you who like the dry sacks?

If the dry sack gets the vote..... which ones do you prefer?

Dave

I highly recommend reading Jim Wood's article on keeping your gear dry (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/).

Wise Old Owl
11-27-2010, 11:19
Sea to Summit for me, they are easy obtain and are very light, you should only need one or two. I use them for the sleeping bag and winter jacket only. They are down.

Recently I had a water bladder failure and a liter of water leaked into the pack and my down jacket was bone dry. So even though Jim Woods Article may be dead on, and he doesn't like his test of Sea to Summit. Keep in mind he is packing for Water Sports, for Backpacking trails Sea to Summit is UL light and provides good protection. And by the way unless you are going swimming with your pack one should not worry.

I removed a lot of the regular sacks that equipment comes in because it all adds up in weight.

jerseydave
11-27-2010, 11:52
I highly recommend reading Jim Wood's article on keeping your gear dry (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/).

Thanks, very informative.

burntoutphilosopher
11-27-2010, 12:07
with my new ULA i am keeping my water outside my pack (the side pockets are big enough for a 2L each.) letting me be rid of even more stuff sacks.

those sea to summit eVent dry sacks are really heavy. the large weighs 15 ounces !

burntoutphilosopher
11-27-2010, 12:10
oh jerseydave, to you original post...

i stopped ta a creek this year and broke out my filter... filters soem water, got talking to some people ... threw my bag on my shouldr and crossed the creek ... didn't do up the top and my journal went splooshing into the creek and floating downstream.

i recovered it bone dry in a gallon ziploc. so for most everything i find them sufficient.

if you line your pack in general with a trash bag; and keep your water elsewhere, i think you could forego the weight; and you end up saving weight without really giving anything up. a hard thing to do in backpacking.

Sly Reynard
11-27-2010, 12:35
I just use trash bags and Ziplocs.

Grinder
11-27-2010, 14:19
trash compactor bags work fine as a pack liner

Rocket Jones
11-27-2010, 14:26
Keep in mind he is packing for Water Sports, for Backpacking trails Sea to Summit is UL light and provides good protection. And by the way unless you are going swimming with your pack one should not worry.

You missed the point of his article. He packs for emergency dunking of his gear, and states that he has more stringent requirements than most. Nobody *plans* on going swimming with your pack, but accidents happen.

skinewmexico
11-27-2010, 14:31
I removed a lot of the regular sacks that equipment comes in because it all adds up in weight.

+1. All the little bags they send with your gear add up to a shocking amount. I think I lost about 1/2# on my Quarterdome T3 by leaving all the stuff sacks. The POE WxTex pneumo bags work well, are lightweight and help save some space, but ziplocks and trash compactor bags work well for less. Dry is dry.

Spokes
11-27-2010, 20:10
trash compactor bags work fine as a pack liner

Grinder's right. I used trash compactor bags last year and they never failed. I looked at the sea-to-summit (I like them too) pack liners to cut some weight but the trash bags are lighter when you weigh them out.

Buzz Saw
11-28-2010, 11:21
Walmart sells a 3 pack of assorted sizes of dry bags for $9.99 all three add up to 102 grams. They seem th e be quite functional and are different colors making organization a lot easier.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2010, 12:23
You missed the point of his article. He packs for emergency dunking of his gear, and states that he has more stringent requirements than most. Nobody *plans* on going swimming with your pack, but accidents happen.

No I didn't, I read it carefully and possibly decribed it wrong. I too test all my gear in the kitchen and back yard. I thought it was a good web page. And most hikers are not going to dunk gear, although I have. So I called it a water sport.... besides - would you do this?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/wirebridge.jpg

Yea thats ten feet up and 50 feet across and in the winter.

jerseydave
11-28-2010, 13:31
Walmart sells a 3 pack of assorted sizes of dry bags for $9.99 all three add up to 102 grams. They seem th e be quite functional and are different colors making organization a lot easier.

I saw them there and thats actually what got me thinking about them, thanks.

jerseydave
11-28-2010, 13:33
Yea thats ten feet up and 50 feet across and in the winter.

:eek: ...nuff said