PDA

View Full Version : It's nice when opportunity knocks

Different Socks
11-27-2010, 18:09
A couple of weeks ago a coworker told me she had several bags of powered eggs she wanted to give me. My first reaction was, "powdered eggs? Yuck!". But then I realized 2 things: My big adventure in 2 years sometimes seems to be exceedingly overwhelming at times, so I should take any offers of help I can get, and #2) I'd never eaten powered eggs before. So I saw an opportunity to try them with some of my dried ingredients and finally got around to it today.
First thing I noticed was that my friend had told me there was only 2 servings per bag and she had given me about 10 pouches. When I began preparing a "hiker portion", I couldn't help but notice that the pouch said 10 servings per bag. I doubled up the portion(1 serving was one egg), added some dried green peppers, shrooms, onions, salmon, and pollack and cooked it up.

As they cooked, they had a great aroma of eggs cooking in the pan and I couldn't wait to test my taste buds The consistency and taste were very good, not at all what I had been told that powdered eggs would taste like.

The only problem I had was with some of the egg sticking to the pan, but it may have been the pan itself that caused this.

I am not in the habit of cooking breakfast on the trail, but again this is free food. Since the pouches were 10 servings, split in half that is 5 breakfasts, and she gave me a total of 16 pouches. So I'll plan for 1 day out of every 5-7 days to have eggs for breakfast.

Hope I have more opportunities like this as the day of departure
approaches.

BTW, I have recently cooked up gumbo, black beans with rice and jambalaya, sold under the brand name "Zatarain's. Their portion sizes on the black beans w/rice and gumbo are way off, even for regular eating. Doubling up wasn't even enough for me, so I cooked the entire box, then added an extra 2 cups of brown rice. Then as suggested on this forum, I dried it and portioned it out for 3 servings. I was happy with the results.

Next up is the "couscous marinara" recipe and some instant potato recipes, both of which are foods I have never eaten on any hike. I have tried to locate some instant potato recipes in the forum but have had no luck. Should I type in "instant and potatoes"?

What is your favorite couscous or instant potato recipe?

4eyedbuzzard
11-27-2010, 18:25
Any of the many flavors of Idahoan brand instant potatoes are good with me. Half a pouch normally, mix in a little extra butter or powdered gravy sometimes too.

4eyedbuzzard
11-27-2010, 18:36
Looks like they have single serving packets now as well. I usually just get the big packet of baby reds with garlic and parm and make the amount I want, but that single serve variety pack of 10 pouches looks great for hikers.

http://www.idahoan.com/

Rick500
11-27-2010, 18:50
I like the "loaded" potatoes. I even eat them at home sometimes.

Rocket Jones
11-27-2010, 19:24
At one of the warehouse clubs, I recently picked up two big restaraunt-size containers of instant gravy - one beef and one chicken. About five bucks each, and they're good to mix with instant mashed, dehydrated veggies and dehydrated hamburger or TVP.

For me, it works better to keep the potatoes, milk powder and butter buds in a separate bag. Then add a second bag with the gravy and goodies. All in one bag comes out like mashed potato soup.

mweinstone
11-28-2010, 00:37
mixed mashed has salt at a killing level. witch is fine in the sweating months of a hike. but causes high blood pressure when not needed by the body. witch is all the time since it has a killing amount of salt that causes high blood pressure. witch is fine most days while hiking due to violent hunger resulting in mass consumption of any thing under the sun containing anything under the sun.

coosecoose is macaronie and cheeses doom.it kills the hikers need for that horrid food. witch kills the hikers need for horrid food. creating a need for doom foods.

budforester
11-28-2010, 00:50
I'm not often a breakfast- cooker either. Maybe mix some onions, cheese, veggies, or whatever into those eggs and you can have a dinner omelette. Bon appetit!

sheepdog
11-28-2010, 03:33
A couple of weeks ago a coworker told me she had several bags of powered eggs she wanted to give me. My first reaction was, "powdered eggs? Yuck!". But then I realized 2 things: My big adventure in 2 years sometimes seems to be exceedingly overwhelming at times, so I should take any offers of help I can get, and #2) I'd never eaten powered eggs before. So I saw an opportunity to try them with some of my dried ingredients and finally got around to it today.
First thing I noticed was that my friend had told me there was only 2 servings per bag and she had given me about 10 pouches. When I began preparing a "hiker portion", I couldn't help but notice that the pouch said 10 servings per bag. I doubled up the portion(1 serving was one egg), added some dried green peppers, shrooms, onions, salmon, and pollack and cooked it up.

As they cooked, they had a great aroma of eggs cooking in the pan and I couldn't wait to test my taste buds The consistency and taste were very good, not at all what I had been told that powdered eggs would taste like.

The only problem I had was with some of the egg sticking to the pan, but it may have been the pan itself that caused this.

I am not in the habit of cooking breakfast on the trail, but again this is free food. Since the pouches were 10 servings, split in half that is 5 breakfasts, and she gave me a total of 16 pouches. So I'll plan for 1 day out of every 5-7 days to have eggs for breakfast.

Hope I have more opportunities like this as the day of departure
approaches.

BTW, I have recently cooked up gumbo, black beans with rice and jambalaya, sold under the brand name "Zatarain's. Their portion sizes on the black beans w/rice and gumbo are way off, even for regular eating. Doubling up wasn't even enough for me, so I cooked the entire box, then added an extra 2 cups of brown rice. Then as suggested on this forum, I dried it and portioned it out for 3 servings. I was happy with the results.

Next up is the "couscous marinara" recipe and some instant potato recipes, both of which are foods I have never eaten on any hike. I have tried to locate some instant potato recipes in the forum but have had no luck. Should I type in "instant and potatoes"?

What is your favorite couscous or instant potato recipe?

Instant potatos, stove top stuffing, dry gravy mix, one pouch of turkey or chicken

Different Socks
11-28-2010, 20:01
I'm not often a breakfast- cooker either. Maybe mix some onions, cheese, veggies, or whatever into those eggs and you can have a dinner omelette. Bon appetit!

Awesome idea! Why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes:

Different Socks
11-28-2010, 20:02
Instant potatos, stove top stuffing, dry gravy mix, one pouch of turkey or chicken

Why the stuffing? Wouldn't that be alot of starch?

Hikes in Rain
11-28-2010, 20:16
Egg Foo Young is another alternative for those eggs. Not Just For Breakfast Anymore!

sheepdog
11-28-2010, 20:18
Why the stuffing? Wouldn't that be alot of starch?
Carbs are energy.

sarbar
11-30-2010, 21:31
I like the eggs actually.....they do need flavoring and a lot of oil but you can also use them in egg nog drinks, scrambled into fried rice, steam baked goods....you get the idea!

Different Socks
12-02-2010, 00:36
I like the eggs actually.....they do need flavoring and a lot of oil but you can also use them in egg nog drinks, scrambled into fried rice, steam baked goods....you get the idea!

Scrambled into fried rice??!! That sounds delicious. Got a recipe for it?

sarbar
12-02-2010, 16:16
Scrambled into fried rice??!! That sounds delicious. Got a recipe for it?

But of course!

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/spam-tastic-fried-rice
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/fried-rice

On mashed potatoes, not sure what I have posted here but I have plenty posted on my website:
http://www.trailcooking.com/search/node/mashed%20potatoes

Yeah, I like instant taters to say the least ;)

ashleigh22
12-27-2010, 15:29
I like any of the Idahoan potatoes (minus the Loaded Baked Potato, it was nasty to me and my fiance) with generic brand instant gravy mix or under most of the Bear Creek soups. Yummy!

StubbleJumper
12-28-2010, 12:29
Yep, a package of any flavour of Idahoan along with several slices of pre-cooked bacon makes a wonderful supper. You get carbs from the potatoes, fat from the bacon, and a wee bit of protein. There's nothing quite as satisfying bacon grease in your beard!

I must say that Idahoan is by far the best powdered potatoes that I've bought. The other brands just seem drastically inferior.

Hobbler
12-28-2010, 13:36
Here is what I do.....

There is a measureable amount of time and work involved, but you have expressed a concern about the eggs sticking in the pan and probably also the clean up afterward. Have you tried to portion eggs in vacuum packed bags, then add boiling water to them and setting the bag back in the pot to finish cooking as you stir the mix up? Boom...Done! No clean-up! Of course it will require a vacuum sealer, but it will extend the life of anything that is already dried. Also if you are inclined to pre-cook those peppers, onions or mushrooms, you can use a de-hydrator to get them moisture free then vacuum-pack and re-hydrate them the same way as the eggs. now separate, you can use them in any other meal you choose. That gives you the flexibility to vary your diet tastes even more. I do the same for cooked burger and onions to use as a base in my other "Boil in Bag" type cooking. Clean-up elimination is time gained for other trail business. There is a wealth of veggies, fruits, meats even some full re-constituting meals etc. that can be tailored to your tastes and there is total control of just what you put in to season your preserved meals and you can eat more nutritionally on the trail. Happy eating!

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 14:07
But of course!

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/spam-tastic-fried-rice
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/fried-rice

On mashed potatoes, not sure what I have posted here but I have plenty posted on my website:
http://www.trailcooking.com/search/node/mashed%20potatoes

Yeah, I like instant taters to say the least ;)

You are so awesome! I never saw that site before but I'm loving it. THANKS!