PDA

View Full Version : Interesting A.T. item on Ebay

The Old Fhart
12-15-2004, 08:41
I just thought you'd like to check out this item on ebay (1 of 6 listed by the same person) that has an opening bid of $100. Click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=88433&item=5544034357&rd=1) to see the ebay listing. Part of the listing says:
To the winner of this auction, I will provide correspondence, including pictures (once developed) about my progress and experiences in this region of the AT (check the auction title for region covered). Additionally, if the winner is interested, I will provide a copy of my thesis once completed (I’m sure it will be fantastic reading, and a cure for any sleepless night! BUT bear in mind it may not be finished until April 2006 – it has to go through several professors on my committee before it can be pronounced completed). The regions I am selling are:
1)The beginning – Georgia (this is a shot section – I will be hiking this over Spring Break)
2)Virginia
3)Maryland & Pennsylvania
4)New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts
5)Vermont & New Hampshire
6)MaineI personally am making no comment on these 6 auctions (or whether the GA region is "shot" or short) but just thought you'd like to discuss what you think of this plan.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2004, 09:38
I've got my checkbook out. :rolleyes:

TDale
12-15-2004, 09:42
Flawed setup on the thesis. If you want to study NOBO's you should walk SOBO, no?

Blue Jay
12-15-2004, 09:52
Flawed setup on the thesis. If you want to study NOBO's you should walk SOBO, no?

No, the only way you'll get to talk to most of them would be to tackle them and tie them to a tree. I highly recommend NOT doing this.

Blue Jay
12-15-2004, 09:54
No edit button. Change "you'll" to "you would"

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 10:05
No, the only way you'll get to talk to most of them would be to tackle them and tie them to a tree. I highly recommend NOT doing this.

LOL - that's pretty funny! :D

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 10:07
No edit button. Change "you'll" to "you would"

Has that self professed "fundamentalist" Mountain Dew got ya runnin' scared? :D

Blue Jay
12-15-2004, 10:15
Has that self professed "fundamentalist" Mountain Dew got ya runnin' scared? :D

Yes, rampent and rampaging fundamentalists are everywhere, Bwahahahaha.

lobster
12-15-2004, 11:59
If he does it southbound, he would meet most of the northbounders, but he risks becoming an "arrogant" southbounder who refuses to lower himself to talk to the "herd mentality" northbounders. No interviews, no thesis!

It seems the only way he could get a large sampling would be to start late and hike fast, but how will he accomplish this if he's doing all these interviews? Too much talking and not enough walking is not going to cut it!

Mausalot
12-15-2004, 12:30
I won't say this made my day, but it sure brought a smile to my face. And he wants college credit too!!!!!

Cameraman:dance (who is also a college professor)

Seraphim
12-15-2004, 14:09
well hot damn, why didn't i think of that? instead, i wasted an entire summer for nothing! :p how far ya'll think he'll make it?

Jaybird
12-15-2004, 14:25
WOW! let me get this straight.....i get a guy....a guy thats hiking.....a guy thats hiking thats getting college credit......for a PEN PAL?

woooooooooooooo-hooooooooooooo!

i bid $1.99 on that Ebay item!

hehehehehehe :D

Mountain Dew
12-15-2004, 16:25
Mowgli..., "Has that self professed "fundamentalist" Mountain Dew got ya runnin' scared? " ---Why.... you say that as if to throw stones at me. How unfriendly of you. :cool:

The only thing Blue Wacko is running from is his own bad karma in regards to holding a red pen to my posts while his have far more mistakes. Karma, it's an sweet revenge.

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 16:41
Mowgli..., "Has that self professed "fundamentalist" Mountain Dew got ya runnin' scared? " ---Why.... you say that as if to throw stones at me. How unfriendly of you. :cool:

Not at all. I live in a glass house, so I try not to throw stones. Pebbles maybe, but not stones. :D

The only thing Blue Wacko is running from is his own bad karma in regards to holding a red pen to my posts while his have far more mistakes. Karma, it's an sweet revenge.

Now you learned me something. I didn't know that Southern Baptists believed in Karma. I thought that was a Buddhist thing. :confused:

Pringles
12-15-2004, 22:14
What happened to Tennessee and North Carolina? Did I misread the ad? Maybe those two states have already been fully sponsored for his hike. Maybe they took them off the trail when the ATC changed it's name... .

Pringles

The Old Fhart
12-15-2004, 22:21
Beth-"What happened to Tennessee and North Carolina? Did I misread the ad? Maybe those two states have already been fully sponsored for his hike. Maybe they took them off the trail when the ATC changed it's name..." Don't also forget WV. Can't have your photo taken at the new ATC if there is no Harpers Ferry. :)

SavageLlama
12-16-2004, 00:17
I won an eBay auction that gave me access to the correspondence of nearly everyone that's thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail over the past few years.

Oh wait, that's no auction.. it's a website called www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com)