PDA

View Full Version : Zero Bag for late Feb --Springer Departure

tawa
11-27-2010, 21:31
Strongly considering purchasing a Zero Bag instead of taking my current 20 degree Down Bag with a silk liner. Realize I might only be able to use it for the first 3-4 weeks but would rather start off warm then be unprepared should the weather drop down in low single digits and even lower wind chills.

I plan on leaving Springer around the last week in Feb if the weather is looking fairly clear of any heavy precip for a few days in order to get off to a smooth start.

Interested in your thoughts and suggestions and zero sleeping bags that you might recomend.
Thanks for the help.

Moose2001
11-27-2010, 21:51
Western Mountaineering.

Lillianp
11-27-2010, 21:54
I left springer this past Feb. 26th with a zero degree, brought it all the way up to Damascus (it got a *wee* bit warm by the end). It was fantastic and warm and definitely the right decision for me. Of course-you never know 2011 may be an extremely warm year. But this year it worked.

As for type, I got the cheapest down one I could find-the Kelty light year 0 Degree. Worked like a charm and was 3 pounds which I think is pretty darn good.

srestrepo
11-27-2010, 21:54
yeah make sure you get a good one. winter's gonna suck this year and last years thru's weren't just walkin in the park if you will.

western mountaineering bags are among the best. if you're on a budget like i am, i went with the marmot never summer. i like it. fits nice, nice and soft, but by no stretch the best bag. just the best i coudl afford given my circumstances.

good luck!

Blissful
11-27-2010, 22:15
I've heard its going to be colder, but who knows. Still a good idea to take a warm bag. Makes nights and life a lot better trail-wise.

Lillianp
11-27-2010, 22:20
yeah make sure you get a good one. winter's gonna suck this year and last years thru's weren't just walkin in the park if you will.

If this winter's going to be a bad one, definitely go for the zero. Made my life SO much happier.

nitewalker
11-27-2010, 22:28
your bag will be your best friend after a long day of hiking so get one that will be warm enough.....being cold sucks!!!!

bigcranky
11-27-2010, 23:13
I've been very happy with my Western Mountaineering Antelope.

Feral Bill
11-27-2010, 23:28
When it gets a bit warmer, you can always opent the bag up a bit, or even use it as a quilt. No loss beyond a few ounces to carry.

mweinstone
11-27-2010, 23:47
pic shows seriphin in front of my marmot 20 below col eq at trashgiving.the bag i start with on feb 18th . when i can start that is. anyway,...its late, like 4 am. your only a week out of springer. something wakes you every night. you puzzel over what it is thats causeing you to loose sleep. by day your unreasted and grouchy. what?! whats makeing you wake each nite at the epicold center of the eve?you have a zero bag. you ate good. what?
its the dummy next to you each night in the shelter tossing and turnning and mumbleing. he has a 20 degree bag and cant sleep. he ruins so many of your nites, your forced to speed ahead to loose his sorry ars and catch some sorely needed z's.

gunner76
11-28-2010, 13:36
Easier to cool off than it is to get warm. Try and "test fit" the bag before you buy it to make sure it fits. Also make sure you have a good pad under the bag.

Luddite
11-28-2010, 13:46
Nothing worse than hiking all day in the cold knowing that you're going to sleep cold too.

kayak karl
11-28-2010, 13:57
Easier to cool off than it is to get warm. Try and "test fit" the bag before you buy it to make sure it fits. Also make sure you have a good pad under the bag.
hes right. without a good pad don't mater what bag you bring, you'll freeze.

BrianLe
11-28-2010, 14:49
If you have a real 20F bag, i.e., a good quality bag such as WM, then since you already own this there's another option you might consider.

Instead of buying a 0F bag, buy a good down parka and down booties. Wear these plus some light longjohns inside your 20F bag when it's cold enough to warrant that.
Multiple "nice things" accrue:
(1) you have the warm clothes for use in camp
(2) related, getting up in the middle of the night and in the morning is much nicer
(3) you'll want some sort of insulated clothing anyway
(4) when it warms up, you adjust by doing a clothing swap rather than a bag swap

Though in fact I did a bag swap too, at Pearisburg I moved to a full-zip 32F bag. But at least the 20F bag would be halfway credible for carrying farther north, the 0F bag would be even more overkill, and likely just too warm to use.

buz
11-29-2010, 11:26
I would agree with Brian, if you have good hq 20 bag now, I would think you could spend money on great jacket, booties, and long johns and be way more versitile. Forget the silk liner. Key is your bag now, how good is it, and how do you fit in it. Test sleep in it soon at cold temps, how low can you go? Can you layer up in it and not compress things? I can easily take my 15 degree HQ bag to 0 with some simple layers, and good pad, no doubt important as well. Experiment now, that is best advise I can offer.

DapperD
11-30-2010, 01:10
Strongly considering purchasing a Zero Bag instead of taking my current 20 degree Down Bag with a silk liner. Realize I might only be able to use it for the first 3-4 weeks but would rather start off warm then be unprepared should the weather drop down in low single digits and even lower wind chills.

I plan on leaving Springer around the last week in Feb if the weather is looking fairly clear of any heavy precip for a few days in order to get off to a smooth start.

Interested in your thoughts and suggestions and zero sleeping bags that you might recomend.
Thanks for the help.If you have the funds and don't mind spending for a new bag, I would say it would be a wise decision. That time of the year can become really cold in the mountains. Just make sure you spend enough to get a high end bag, like a Western Mountaineering or something along those lines. Then you will know the rating most likely will be accurate. If you don't have enough to spend hundreds on a new bag, then adding quality insulated clothing to wear inside the bag as someone suggested may possibly be an option that could be worth considering. As far as I am concerned, your bag is something that is among the most important pieces of gear that you have, and it is wise to have a warm one for that time of the year:-?.

SawnieRobertson
11-30-2010, 09:54

Thanks for the help.

My thought is that you are on the right path for some warm, renewing nights with your 0-degree bag (yeah, hopefully WM like mine). And, as someone who plans to be leaving a bit later, I look forward to your register entries, reporting your joy that your "what-if" decisions kept you toasty warm when you needed to be.--Kinnickinic