PDA

View Full Version : Sof Sole or Superfeet

TheYoungOne
11-27-2010, 23:00
I have had bouts of plantar fasciitis and I'm looking for a good insole to put in all my hiking shoe and boots, and perhaps in my other shoes as well

So far I looked at two companies. Sof Sole alread make orthotics and the have an insert just for hiking. Everyone in general raves about Superfeet but are the good for PF?

Sof Sole hikers are $15 cheaper than Superfeet. If I go with the superfeet I'm not sure if I should get green,blue or gray.

Elder
11-27-2010, 23:04
Neither! www. orthosoles.com
much better support, NO BREAK-In
relatively new, but Great!

and Yes, I am the rep..in the South

Actually, the sof sols, not bad, but if you have PF issues...not the other..nuff said

Miner
11-28-2010, 01:02
Insoles definitely help, but I found that I need to stretch the bottom of my feet out every hour or two while hiking to prevent the problem from developing even with insoles when doing long distance hiking. I've always just used the green superfeet. But what works for one persons feet doesn't always work for someone elses. You really should try out a few different ones on some long hikes and see how your feet like them.

millergear
11-28-2010, 11:46
Superfeet work for me (as well as my $450 Orthotics). But I have to size them by where the arch fits, not my shoe size. I'm an 11 1/2 but use the largest shoe size Superfeet and trim the ends to fit my boot.

Blissful
11-28-2010, 12:36
After a long arduous process to find insoles that would work for me (and I tried at least five or six different kinds), I took my PT's recommendation and went with the blue Superfeet. After about a week break in, they worked great and have used them ever since (they are in all my athletic footwear). And I have very flat feet.

Smile
11-28-2010, 14:07
Superfeet destroyed my feet, never had a problem with PF until I hiked 400 miles in them. Never again!

leaftye
11-28-2010, 15:33
Superfeet destroyed my feet, never had a problem with PF until I hiked 400 miles in them. Never again!

How many hundreds of miles did you hike before using Superfeet?

Praha4
11-28-2010, 21:44
for hiking on the AT, get the green or orange Superfeet inserts. I've used both. The orange have a bit more padding, but both are great.

kayak karl
11-28-2010, 21:53
i agree. worst i ever wore. cardboard is better.

kayak karl
11-28-2010, 21:54
whats your point ??????????????

Spokes
11-28-2010, 22:11
I hiked blister and pain free in SuperFeet- Blue for my Keen Targhee ll's and Green for trailrunners.

Two important things about sizing SuperFeet:

1. Fit the heel cup first! Most people get them way too small- ouch! The insole should cradle your heel not cramp it.
2. Choose SuperFeet based on the best "volume" fit in your shoes or boots. Greens are a shade thicker than the blue's, etc.

Smile
11-28-2010, 22:53

That particular section, that year was 400 miles or so.

They really trashed my feet. I thought it was my boots, then switched to trailrunners, kept using the SF, and then finally after too much pain, I ditched them. They were the major problem. I had them "fitted" where they 'melt them' and mold them to your feet, they work for some folks though :)

leaftye
11-29-2010, 03:40
whats your point ??????????????

Because that data point is worthless if that's the first long hike he's ever done. He very well might have got PF not matter what.

That particular section, that year was 400 miles or so.

Thanks.

fredmugs
11-29-2010, 08:52
Not sure this is relevant in your case of not but I used to get a tremendous amount of pain right where the balls of my feet and the arch come together. I wear shock blocker inserts combined with stretching my toes back and massaging my feet both during and after each days hike.

The Shockblockers have no arch or heel cup support but they are soooooo comfortable whereas the orange Superfeet I have provide no comfort at all. Literally pillows for the feet.

When it comes to relieving foot pain and blister prevention this is not an area to try and save a few bucks.

max patch
11-29-2010, 10:29
MD told me to start using superfeet when I had PF. I use green in my athletic footwear.

warraghiyagey
11-29-2010, 11:13
Never wanted Super Feet but got them as a gift. . . very uncomfortable til I put the factory insoles on top of them. . . seems to be the perfect set-up. . . :)

chelko
11-29-2010, 11:29
I have wider than normal size 14 feet. I have used superfeet as well as softsoles and custom orthotics. I like the moldable softsoles the best. The custom orthotics take up to much room in my boots and the superfeet don't have enough arch support for my high arches. My son also a 14 loves the superfeet because he has very flat feet(a genetic gift from his mother).

trippclark
11-29-2010, 14:12
I have had bouts of plantar fasciitis and I'm looking for a good insole to put in all my hiking shoe and boots, and perhaps in my other shoes as well

So far I looked at two companies. Sof Sole alread make orthotics and the have an insert just for hiking. Everyone in general raves about Superfeet but are the good for PF?

Sof Sole hikers are $15 cheaper than Superfeet. If I go with the superfeet I'm not sure if I should get green,blue or gray.

I have never used Sof Sole, so I cannot compare, but after lots of problems with foot pain, I started using SuperFeet about 6 - 7 years ago. I have terrible feet - very flat. As the manufacturer recommends, I transitioned into them, wearing them for increasing limited hours for the first several days to allow my feet to adapt to the increased support. After a week or 10 days, I was wearing them all the time. Now I wear them in most all shoes that I wear. I have been very pleased with them.

sbhikes
11-29-2010, 15:14
People rarely will agree on footwear-related things so asking for opinions is usually farily worthless.

What worked well for me was to carry a selection of insoles. I could layer them or trade them out. That way I was never stuck with any one thing that didn't work and I could better determine what did work.

swjohnsey
11-29-2010, 16:43
Anyone use Sorbothane insoles?

cbeaves
12-02-2010, 02:25
Superfeet gave me plantar fasciitis. Some people loved them. I hated them. The foot doctor prescribed medication for me, told me to stop wearing them and gave me some athletic-type, shock absorbing insoles that worked great and my PF healed, slowly, but nicely.

I had the green ones and maybe the didn't fit right but I was "fitted" for them at an outfitter that seemed to know what they were doing :-?

Miner
12-02-2010, 14:36
Peoples feet pronate differently and this requires different insole designs. Its just most people pronate one way and thats what many comercial insoles are designed for. Then there is arc size difference; not everyone needs the same level of support there. Thats why you really should experiment with different types of insoles to find something that works for your foot.

For me, I don't even need to break in a pair of green superfeet insoles as they work fine for my foot right out of the box. Others will never get them to work for them even after breaking them in.

Smile
12-04-2010, 08:17
Whatever you choose, start with a short hike in them, or a 2-3 nighter before venturing out for a long haul, you might find out a day or two in that they are great, or not :)

hope it goes well for you! :)

TheYoungOne
12-13-2010, 11:48
Here is an update. I bought both and so far I'm slightly leaning toward the green superfeet.

In the beginning the superfeet killed my feet. Like the Box says it takes some time getting use to, so you need to build up your tolerence. Sof Sole are all foam so they are alot more softer while giving some heel and arch support. Superfeet are more rigid and seem to be "correcting" your feet, putting your heel and arch in a proper position.

My Plantar Fasiciitis seems to hurt more wearing the Sof Soles hikers, but the Superfeet bother my feet overall the longer I wear them due to the lack of cushion, and my feet get cold easier with them, which sucks in the winter, but might be a good thing in summer hiking.

I'm spending a long weekend on vacation in Disney next week and I'm taking both insoles and using them in the same trail runners. Walking for miles around a theme park should be a good test.

Rick500
12-13-2010, 12:10
As has been said, it's a very individual thing. I tried the green Superfeet first and just could not wear them. Switched to Montrail insoles and won't be without them now.

troglobil
12-13-2010, 16:09
Neither! www. orthosoles.com
much better support, NO BREAK-In
relatively new, but Great!

and Yes, I am the rep..in the South

Actually, the sof sols, not bad, but if you have PF issues...not the other..nuff said
Come on Chris, as the rep, you can at least get the website right.
www.orthosole.com (http://www.orthosole.com) :D

Bil

Elder
12-13-2010, 17:10
Oops..my brain is froze...we have ICE!
So, where are you and Miss S.? Huh..huh!
Thanks for fixing that.
Chris

HeartWalker
12-13-2010, 19:36
Hey Chris how about a Christmas discount!

Slimer
12-13-2010, 19:50
superfeet was a waste of money for me. Those wretched things wrecked my feet.
Never again......

PR Man
12-19-2010, 12:38
Superfeet are TOO hard. I tried them and my feet were ruined. My heels hurt so much I could barely walk. Took them out and things started getting MUCH better.

TheYoungOne
01-10-2011, 11:52
I'm spending a long weekend on vacation in Disney next week and I'm taking both insoles and using them in the same trail runners. Walking for miles around a theme park should be a good test.

Update #2

Did the Disney thing for 7 days. Walked for miles around the parks with trail runners, carrying a daypack filled with bottled water, snacks, Fleece jackets (Even in Orlando, it got cold at night) and disney nick-nacks.

The verdict...Green Superfeet. I was fine hiking around all day with green superfeet and a regular dose of Alive :D

When I switched to the sof sole hikers my PF would flare up after an hour or two of walking and my feet would ache even while on pain meds. I switched back and forth every day, and the feeling was night and day. At one point my feet were killing me and we returned to our room mid-day and I switched out the SofSoles over to the green superfeet and the heel pain subsided by the evening. While I'm not a poditrist, I feel if I was using Green Superfeet insoles and I got a PF flareup during a long distance hike, I can hike on without doing serious damage. I would not trust the sofsole hikers. I wore the SofSoles on the flight home, since they seem to be more TSA compliant, 14 hours later, I was in agony.

Then again YMMV and everyone has different feet so try it yourself and check with your Doc. It really makes no sense since the Sofsoles seem to have better cushioning and had a similar shape as the superfeet insoles.

For me I'm sold and I'm switching out all my insoles to Superfeet, as we speak.

onesocktwin
01-10-2011, 12:22
Am I the only person on here who loves Montrails? But then, I also love Merrells and few others do. I have narrow feet with really high arches and need the support Montrails give me.

HeartFire
01-10-2011, 20:30
Feet are meant to be flexed, not held rigid. do some research on it. That being said, some people like them some hate them. I tried super feet - I developed back pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, not to mention foot pain after 100 miles in Super feet. I use Sofe Soles and love them

Fog Horn
01-10-2011, 20:38
Does anyone know of any company that makes custom insoles? I know there are a couple of companies that make custom running shoes based on points your foot hits the ground. Was wondering if there was anything like this for insoles?

TheYoungOne
01-11-2011, 10:02
Does anyone know of any company that makes custom insoles? I know there are a couple of companies that make custom running shoes based on points your foot hits the ground. Was wondering if there was anything like this for insoles?

SofSoles and some other brands make a custom insole that you stick in the microwave or put in a pot of boiling water. Then you put them in your shoes/boots when they are warm and plyable, and they conform to your feet as they harden and cool.

Check REI and Sports Authority.

Chillfactor
01-11-2011, 13:48
Agree with Rick500 about the Montrails. They're the best for me.

phoddo
01-11-2011, 13:54

leaftye
01-12-2011, 10:40
Am I the only person on here who loves Montrails? But then, I also love Merrells and few others do. I have narrow feet with really high arches and need the support Montrails give me.

I would like to try them, but I haven't found a local retailer that has them yet.

Feet are meant to be flexed, not held rigid.

I won't disagree with you there. The problem I have is that some insoles adversely change shape as they get old. That might not be a problem if I used flat insoles. Until then, my Superfeet blues are good enough just because they haven't seemed to twist out of shape as they've aged.