PDA

View Full Version : standing indian campground

justingz71
11-28-2010, 08:57
So it looks like me and some close friends will be doing neels gap to the kimsey creek trail, then to the standing indian campground. Has anyone dealt with them before, the thru hikers companion says the campground is closed until may 1 for construction :/ But do they usually allow people to leave their vehicles at the campground for a few days or do they require you to rent a space?

Frog
11-28-2010, 09:00
There is a parking area outside the camping area

SouthMark
11-28-2010, 09:49
Just finished a hike to there last Monday (11/22). Our car was parked at the backcountry info parking lot, always open. The campground was open and in fact we took hot showers there for $2 each. Day parking in the campground is $2 per day but the backcountry parking adjoins the campground.

justingz71
11-28-2010, 11:23
ok thanks for the info guys, its nice having people to turn to to tell you what the guidebooks dont.

MkBibble
11-28-2010, 12:48
justingz71, i had heard that they were ging to be closed after thanksgiving, but i don't know if that's true. i just tried calling what i think is their number (
i just did about the same trip a couple months ago (828-369-0442) and got no answer - but it is sunday morning; you might try during the week... if they are closed, and there is no parking outside the gate (just don't remember) you could park at deep gap, or use the pay phone at Standing Indian Campground to call a shuttle.

SouthMark
11-28-2010, 15:12
MkBibble there is always parking outside the gate. The backcountry info parking is outside the gate on FS 67. There is no one at the campground store/office to answer. The campground is being managed by a campground host that is camped in front of one of the bath houses. The only construction going on is to the first bath house on the right just before crossing the bridge. Just continue on FS 67 about 1/4 mile past the campground entrance to backcountry kiosk and parking. The Long Branch Trail (2 miles to AT at Glassmine Gap) starts/ends across the road. Follow trail from Kiosk into the campground, left on the road, cross the bridge and Kimsey Creek Trail to the right.

Ron Haven
11-29-2010, 01:26
Friends, If I can ever help any of you with this and you feel your car will be unsafe at Standing Indian Campground or other places near Franklin.

You are welcome free to leave your car in town at Budget Inn, Sapphire Inn or Franklin Motel. You can also leave vehicles in Hiawassee at the Hiawassee Inn too for hikes in Ga. When the signs arrive this will be the Budget Inn of Hiawassee. We will also be opening another newly purchased motel within two weeks in Sylva,NC

Please let me know who you are and roughly when you will be back. Your vehicle will be safe. We will even come to pick you up when you finish your hike.

:sun

Old Hiker
11-29-2010, 12:13
Mr. Haven,

Never met you, but I hope I do in 2012 when I attempt my thru! You seem like one of the old-time Trail Angels for sure.

Thank you for your support and help!

kanga
11-29-2010, 13:08
ronnie is good as gold. not enough people in the world like him. he will get you where you want to go in fine style.

Ron Haven
11-29-2010, 17:53
between you both you make my head swell. I'm just having fun out here. have a great day. Kanga, Hope to see you and many other friends next week.