PDA

View Full Version : How many training miles?

Storm
11-28-2010, 12:42
I was just wondering how many training miles the folks that are planning thru hikes are doing. I've kept a jounal and have logged over 1000 miles this year. Sometimes I feel like it isn't near enough and other times I feel like I'm just burning myself out. I still have over a year to get ready since I'm planning on 2012. Was just curious if anyone else is keeping track and what the average was. :-?

slugger
11-28-2010, 12:47
:eek: I'm jealous. I have gotten about 125 miles in this year to train.

Del Q
11-28-2010, 12:59
I am trying to get back out in 2 weeks, recovering from knee surgery, 50/50 at this point. Assuming that you have your gear dialed in (NOT too heavy!) and are in generally good shape, I would focus on going up & down steep hills with a 40+ lbs pack.

Luddite
11-28-2010, 13:23
With over a thousand miles hiked in a year you're going to be more prepared than a lot of people, including myself.

Megapixel
11-28-2010, 13:30
we are training almost every day, but some of it is weight training, walks without packs, and biking long distances. When we do backpack, we go full tilt on the pack weight (30lbs) although we will never carry more than 25, and we do overnights at about 6-8 in and about 8-20 miles out the next day. probably 1 to 2 x per week. It's Florida though, so its not major elevation change.

BrianLe
11-28-2010, 14:41
My suggestions:

(1) Do a relatively long shakedown hike, I suggest 50 miles or more. I think this could be qualitatively different than even a long series of short trips in terms of finding out things about gear, hiking style (with that gear), physical issues that arise, whatever. And bring a notebook and take notes right away as things occur to you so you can remember to make adjustments when you get back home.
If you find a lot of issues and/or pretty significant issues, then if possible do a follow-on shakedown hike to show that you've really resolved things, and perhaps to push out the next tier of problems (!).

(2) For the AT in particular I do suggest that your training be closer to what one would normally do for a mountain climb. Or at least I recall in GA and TN/NC thinking about the walking/hiking I had done to train and wishing I had done more on the stairmaster. I think the best answer is some of both --- train to walk by walking, but include more elevation training that you might otherwise do.

Tilly
11-28-2010, 15:08
I did absolutely no training or working out before my '09 hike and I did fine. Actually the 2 weeks before I left I drank more beer and ate dessert after every meal.

I live in Indiana, I'm a flatlander, and I didn't have any troubles at all. But if you enjoy all the prep more than 1 year in advance, by all means, do what you want, it certainly won't hurt.

RichardD
11-28-2010, 15:12
Typically I walk about 25 to 30 miles per week at a brisk pace around and around and around a local park. Elevation gain about 6 inches :) (I live in West Texas). It has always worked to have me in reasonable shape for my Summer of backpacking. It takes me about two weeks of backpacking to be in what I consider to be good backpacking shape.
This year will be different, I am now retired and will spend the entire Winter downhill skiing, I expect to ski about 100 days. It will be interesting to see if this has me in good shape when I start my AT thru attempt in March. (I rather suspect it will).
!000 miles in a year is similar to what I walk for maintenance exercise and it has kept me in decent shape.

Del Q
11-28-2010, 15:13
Its the hills that get me, agree 100% on the stair master, level is easy.

Pedaling Fool
11-28-2010, 15:24
I was just wondering how many training miles the folks that are planning thru hikes are doing. I've kept a jounal and have logged over 1000 miles this year. Sometimes I feel like it isn't near enough and other times I feel like I'm just burning myself out. I still have over a year to get ready since I'm planning on 2012. Was just curious if anyone else is keeping track and what the average was. :-?
1,000 mile per year is good, but curious what kind of miles are they? And do they include a pack?

TheChop
11-28-2010, 16:14
I considered less miles than over all nights spent out. I've gotten about 400 miles of backpacking in the Smokies and North Georgia over the past year. The last was a 16 day hike. I viewed it more as having the experience necessary than physical shape. Hiking two straight days in the rain, hiking around thunderstorms, hiking in the cold, hiking in heat, staying in a shelter, encountering a bear etc. I didn't really commit to a thru-hike until I'd done the 16 day hike. 16 days is a long time to be out walking and I knew if I liked the 16 days I was going to like a thru-hike. There's a whole lot different psychology involved in a week hike versus a 3 days hike. In mid-January I'm doing the foothills trail for six days as a shakedown hike as I'll be replacing most of my gear.

Physically I have my own home gym and elliptical and get on it pretty regularly. I really need to buckle down and workout these next three months.

Blissful
11-28-2010, 16:25
Some training does help cardiovascularly, but there is nothing like getting out there and just doing your hike when the time comes. In a few weeks you'll be in top shape.

johnnybgood
11-28-2010, 16:46
What % of thru hikers do little to no training before hitting the trail for 6 months ?

I walk briskly 20-30 minutes almost every day , nothing else better for endurance and stamina needed, IMO.

10-K
11-28-2010, 17:22
Do something that combines mental preparation with physical preparation because it is equally, if not more important. Anybody can get trail legs. But a trail head is something else.

For example - make yourself go for a 2 hour walk when the last thing you want to do is go for any kind of walk.

Or, on the weekend when you have time go for more than 1 long walk... Push yourself - make yourself walk an hour longerr than you want to.

Walk in exactly the same place every day no matter how bored you get with it.

Anything you can do that pushes you mentally and conditions you physically is ideal.

Storm
11-28-2010, 18:21
Wow, lots of great suggestions here.

To answer a few questions. Most of the miles were flat miles but almost all were with a back pack. I did make four trips to the Laurel Highland hiking trail and was able to complete it. Did several sections twice because I went by myself and did an out and back.

I have all of my gear and with 3 days of food and 2 liters of water weighed in at 28 lbs. So at my age I'm not going to do any hills with a 40 lb. plus pack, even for training. This was a summer pack weight so I might have to add a couple pounds for winter.

Haven't had any bear encounters yet. Did meet one very aggressive rattle snake, I gave him a wide berth and we parted company as friends.

I can see where the metal aspect might me something hard to train for. My only comment is that I enjoy the solitude and like Lone Wolf always says "It's only walking." I'm not sure if anything could prepare a person for 5 or 6 months of it though.

TheChop
11-28-2010, 18:35
To answer a few questions. Most of the miles were flat miles but almost all were with a back pack.

Grade and elevation gain is the hardest part by far. One suggestion I've heard is to hike up a structure with water in your pack. Pour the water out. Hike back down so your knees don't get messed up.

garlic08
11-28-2010, 19:43
I don't really try to get in shape for a long trail other than just basically staying in shape all year. So I guess I could say I'm always training for the long trails. I'll walk or bicycle to work and shopping, go on fun day hikes as often as possible, go on shakedown cruises when I get new gear, etc. In month before the big hike, I'll take a few 15 to 20 mile hikes to make sure the shoes and feet feel OK, and address minor problems with blistering, pack fit, clothing, chaffing, etc. It's all good advice above, too.

Mags
11-28-2010, 20:39
Stay in shape year round. With the amount of people who drop out of a long trail, why stack the odds against you even more than by the 'drink beer, eat hamburgers and watch bad TV' American lifestyle.

This article may help
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

Besides, if you are in shape, you can do more than just a hike once every two years and enjoy the outdoors now, on your hike and 20 yrs from now.

I love the outdoors too much to not be physically active when not on a long hike.

Chance09
11-28-2010, 21:11
I bartend on my time off between hikes. I think that being on my feet for an 8 hour shift versus sitting behind a desk 9-5 5 days a week makes all the difference. I even use my green superfeet in my work shoes.

Other than that I didn't really do any training before starting the AT last year. Just made sure not to overdue it the first month out.

People say the only way to train for hiking 8 hours a day carrying 30 pounds a day is to hike 8 hours a day carrying 30 lbs.

The only training I think that I would do for another AT thru hike is 1,000s of calf raises and calf stretching. That was the only muscle in my body that really hurt sometimes.

10-K
11-28-2010, 21:25
I love the outdoors too much to not be physically active when not on a long hike.

Me too...

Long hikes make up a very small percentage of the time I spend outdoors.

map man
11-28-2010, 21:32
In the early years I hiked I trained by hiking a lot of ups and downs in a nearby state park with a fully loaded pack. Then two or three years ago I took up running and I have found that running every other day for around an hour (every once in a while throwing in a brisk run instead of an easy run; every once in a while throwing in a longer run) has put me in significantly better hiking shape for my backpacking trips the last two years than the training hikes did. The running gets your cardio-pulmonary system in great shape and it strengthens the muscles and joints used in hiking too. If you don't happen to like running then any other rigorous aerobic activity will do just as well. And as Mags points out, being fit year round will make you feel better year round.

With 1000 miles under your belt you've already had a chance to figure out what footware, equipment, etc. works for you.

Praha4
11-28-2010, 21:40
I'm up to 5 beers per day. But I'm pacing myself, plenty of time left

Driver8
11-28-2010, 23:33
I've done just over 150 miles hiking and walking this year, about 125 with a pack on my back. I'm in training for northern New England hikes next year, the Whites in particular. Two goals - 1) build conditioning, strength and endurance, and 2) lose weight and curb diabetes. Doing very well with 1), need to step it up on 2), mainly as to diet. Always a struggle, that weight/diet part!

Storm
11-29-2010, 01:18
Actually I have a lot more than 1000 miles under my belt. I've logged over 7 thousand miles in my journal but most of them have been road miles in running shoes without a pack.

I started thinking about wilderness hiking and back packing about a year ago so even though I'm an experianced walker I'm pretty much a new guy at the hiking/backpacking scene.

My first hike in the mountains was a real wake up call. A day hike southbound from Fontana Dam last January. I knew then that I had to get in much better shape to even consider a thru hike. I'll be 65 when I make my attempt. Don't plan on setting any speed records but don't plan to have a heart attack on the approach trail either. I'll give it my best and succeed or not I won't regret the effort.

moytoy
11-29-2010, 08:29
Do something that combines mental preparation with physical preparation because it is equally, if not more important. Anybody can get trail legs. But a trail head is something else.

For example - make yourself go for a 2 hour walk when the last thing you want to do is go for any kind of walk.

Or, on the weekend when you have time go for more than 1 long walk... Push yourself - make yourself walk an hour longerr than you want to.

Anything you can do that pushes you mentally and conditions you physically is ideal.

zactly.. I also walk when it's cold and raining!

Grinder
11-29-2010, 09:21
storm,

As another old guy, my advise may be of use

Miles alone are kind of meaningless, as a measure of readiness to hike.
As a runner, I logged a lot of walking miles while preparing for my first hike. I wasn't very well prepared.

There are three areas to prepare for: 1. Aerobics, 2.feet, 3.weight bearing ability.

If you can jog (I can't because of a stiff back) do so. walking alone won't build aerobic capacity and you'll be panting and gasping and stopping to catch your breath on climbs

You need to walk with your pack weight to develop upper body strength in shoulders etc.

You need long days of walking to prepare your feet. This was the biggest surprise to me. I found, and still find, that at the beginning of my section hikes, my feet get sore by afternoon, the balls of my feet seem to be the worst. I can't seem to make myself walk all day in town, so I just suffer through with liberal dosing of ibuprofin starting in late morning. After about a week, I seem to toughen up.

Hope this helps you. Good luck on your hike

nitewalker
11-29-2010, 09:31
Actually I have a lot more than 1000 miles under my belt. I've logged over 7 thousand miles in my journal but most of them have been road miles in running shoes without a pack.

I started thinking about wilderness hiking and back packing about a year ago so even though I'm an experianced walker I'm pretty much a new guy at the hiking/backpacking scene.

My first hike in the mountains was a real wake up call. A day hike southbound from Fontana Dam last January. I knew then that I had to get in much better shape to even consider a thru hike. I'll be 65 when I make my attempt. Don't plan on setting any speed records but don't plan to have a heart attack on the approach trail either. I'll give it my best and succeed or not I won't regret the effort.

better get those legs strong enough to lug a 25lb pack for 8 to 12 hrs going up and down all day...i know lots of people feel they have trained enough on flat ground but when they finally make it to the mountains:eek::eek: its a whole new ballgame. i would start doing some lite squats with a limited range of motion. this should give u a slite boost in strength that you will need. as others have said they have done little traing and hiked the AT so any training is good training.....peace:D

Tenderheart
11-29-2010, 15:14

I run an average of 40 plus miles per week and have done this for probably 25 years, no matter what. You and I are about the same age. In 2000, I went off and left others in the dust, even the young ones. But by the half way point, I was worn out like everyone else. That was when the mental thing took over, like 10-K was talking about. IMO, if I were you, I would walk or run as much as possible up and down hills. It ain't complicated, and with a lot of luck and determination, you will reach your dream. You really can't condition yourself for what is coming over the long haul. If you want it bad enough, it will happen. Wanting to be finished is not the same as wanting to quit. I wish you well.

litefoot 2000

10-K
11-29-2010, 15:21
Wanting to be finished is not the same as wanting to quit. I wish you well.

litefoot 2000

That is a very important distinction and one to keep in mind. Knowing the difference is enough to keep you going when it gets tough.

After 6 weeks, I want to be finished - I'm done hiking. But I've never thought about quitting just because I wanted to be finished.

Really, I get bored hiking after 4 weeks or so. By week 6 I was really done. I like to think though that even knowing that about myself if I started a thru hike I believe I'd finish it just because I don't quit stuff.

TheChop
11-29-2010, 15:51
Chiming in again to say on my 16 day hike I was in decent shape in the beginning and by the end was in fantastic shape. I'd lost 15 pounds or so and could keep a steady pace up mountains without stopping for 700 feet vertical. So training in a physical way isn't terribly necessary unless you're ridiculously out of shape. Being prepared mentally but also skills wise seems even more important. Knowing that I get bored in a tent at night so I have to bring a book and a good easy reading book at that is important. Knowing the kind of shirt I feel comfortable with and the kind of underwear I feel comfortable in is important. That type of stuff is the kind of stuff that you can't learn off the trail and the kind of stuff I can see getting overwhelming on a five month hike. Now when I start I know what kind of shoes I need, what I can't go without and what I can leave at home. There's a skill to backpacking that goes far beyond the walking and most of it is individualized skills.

The Solemates
11-29-2010, 17:18
the best way to prepare to hike long distances in the mountains is to hike long distances in the mountains :eek:

FORTIS
11-30-2010, 18:58
Not making fun but the only miles I have logged over the past 5 years have been going from the kitchen to my office down the hall! I'm hoping that by starting slow I can acquire a level of fitness and skill necessary to see me through. I'm starting from scratch you might say. I'm new to the forum and trying to gather as much info as I can in the short amount of time I have left. I appreciate this site and the opportunity to try.

Carbo
11-30-2010, 20:58
I don't keep track of "training" mileage. I just like walking, getting out in the hills on hikes, and doing the backpacking and camping when I can. When I do my thru in 2011, I'll just like the walking, getting out in the hills on hikes, and doing the backpacking and camping when I can.

Del Q
11-30-2010, 22:21
Arnold Palmer once stated that "Golf is 100% Mental". No doubt that the AT is a huge mental challenge, I tell people that the romantic notion wears off about Day 2.

I enjoy working out every day, hiking, PT, Cardio, Yoga, etc.........every time I get back out onto the AT as a section hiker, I wished that I had done a LOT more hill work with a full pack.

My understanding from Thru Hikers is that once the trail legs kick in this all becomes a non issue.

Mags
11-30-2010, 22:40
My understanding from Thru Hikers is that once the trail legs kick in this all becomes a non issue.

Yeah..but it is getting to that point is (partially) why 80% of hikers quit the trail. I forget the percentage, but isn't it some ginormous percentage of people quit before Hiawasee? Wonder how many of those people thought they'd just get in shape on the trail?:-?

10-K
11-30-2010, 23:02
I can't think of many things that would suck worse than starting a 2179 mile hike out of shape. I guess people do it but... dang... why?

Sensei
12-01-2010, 00:26
Typically I walk about 25 to 30 miles per week at a brisk pace around and around and around a local park. Elevation gain about 6 inches :) (I live in West Texas). It has always worked to have me in reasonable shape for my Summer of backpacking. It takes me about two weeks of backpacking to be in what I consider to be good backpacking shape.
This year will be different, I am now retired and will spend the entire Winter downhill skiing, I expect to ski about 100 days. It will be interesting to see if this has me in good shape when I start my AT thru attempt in March. (I rather suspect it will).
!000 miles in a year is similar to what I walk for maintenance exercise and it has kept me in decent shape.

Richard, I grew up in Midland, so I definitely hear you about the elevation gain in West Texas. You could try climbing oil derricks! :) Seriously though, have you considered doing some training at Palo Duro Canyon? I'm planning on doing a few shakedowns either there or at Guadalupe Mountains NP.

Sensei
12-01-2010, 00:39

Thanks, 10-K. This is great advice. I hate working out at the gym because I get so bored, but this idea of "preparing for boredom" has made me reconsider stepping back onto the stairmaster every once in a while. :D

missamy
12-01-2010, 19:18
I hike about 40 miles every weekend or everyother weekend (whenever life permits me to). I too am planning on thru-hiking in 2012.. I'll see you on the trail! Keep up the good progress.

HiKen2011
12-01-2010, 19:22
I'm up to 5 beers per day. But I'm pacing myself, plenty of time left

You caught up to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Ken

Skidsteer
12-01-2010, 20:11
I can't think of many things that would suck worse than starting a 2179 mile hike out of shape. I guess people do it but... dang... why?

Right?

I don't understand people that aren't physically active period. Regardless of their future plans.

I'd go crazy.

-Ghost-
12-06-2010, 17:42
In the early years I hiked I trained by hiking a lot of ups and downs in a nearby state park with a fully loaded pack. Then two or three years ago I took up running and I have found that running every other day for around an hour (every once in a while throwing in a brisk run instead of an easy run; every once in a while throwing in a longer run) has put me in significantly better hiking shape for my backpacking trips the last two years than the training hikes did. The running gets your cardio-pulmonary system in great shape and it strengthens the muscles and joints used in hiking too. If you don't happen to like running then any other rigorous aerobic activity will do just as well. And as Mags points out, being fit year round will make you feel better year round.

With 1000 miles under your belt you've already had a chance to figure out what footware, equipment, etc. works for you.

Agreed. I have noticed that my running has put me in great shape for the trail. Obviously i'm not running with a pack but I think pack weight is down so much now (25-30lbs) that it doesnt make a HUGE difference to train without it. Ive been running about 5 1/2 miles of hills most days of the week over the past few years and plan to just continue that until I leave in March. Going to do a few long distance shakedown hikes as well to make sure all the gear etc is in order as others mentioned.

beautifulpoetman
12-06-2010, 18:30
I try to "rev the engine" every day which is to say, walk. (I live in a dowtown area.) I get around on foot or bicycle much of the time which is useful. I have been hiking three to twelve mile hikes once or twice a week for most of the last six months. Lately I've done it with a pack. I walk places with some hills, which luckily we do in Louisville's Jefferson Memorial Forest. I also play full court basketball weekly, but that isn't so smart (tough on the knees.) I also do a little tread mill work. CARDIO!

Mentally, I figure that's something you have inside, will find inside, or just don't have. Boredom is a function of weak imagination. I'm not sure that can be developed or lost.

RichardD
12-07-2010, 00:11
[QUOTE][Richard, I grew up in Midland, so I definitely hear you about the elevation gain in West Texas. You could try climbing oil derricks! :) Seriously though, have you considered doing some training at Palo Duro Canyon? I'm planning on doing a few shakedowns either there or at Guadalupe Mountains NP.]
Yes, the walking around the park is maintenance exercise. At weekends I have hiked all of the trails in Caprock Canyons SP, Palo Duro Canyon SP Guadalupe mtns NP and Sacramento and White mtns near Ruidoso.
The climb to Guadalupe peak is a good one, about 3000ft elevation gain about 8.6 miles round trip. Backpacking in Guadalupe mtns is not the greatest as there is no water supply in the mountains but it is great for day hikes.
For a backpacking shakedown hike the Crest trail near Ruidoso is a good one but will probably not be snow free before March - that is if it does in fact snow on the ski area this winter.
This year my training is downhill skiing all day every day . If the road to Wolf Creek pass closes for avalanche control then I will do some hiking in the hills around Pagosa Springs.