PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tent Stakes

C-Stepper
11-29-2010, 14:20
I'm not new to winter backpacking, but I am new to tenting in the winter.

What stakes do you carry to erect your tent in places where there may or may not be snow? I'm heading to the Smokies in a few weeks, and I am wondering if I need to take snow stakes, or what others do to plan for tenting in snow. Thanks.

srestrepo
11-29-2010, 15:03
well, i've been asking about this for a few weeks now, the problem is that sometimes in the mornings if you've used aluminum stakes, the frozen ground bonds to the aluminum. i did read up on the fact that ice and frozen ground doesn't bond well to titanium. but i dont know how i feel about using Ti needle stakes which are the only ones that i could find.

i'm interested in knowing what anyone else has to say about this as i use a tarp and its important that i make sure thats held down so that i dont get snow on me in the morning.

10-K
11-29-2010, 15:16
Hmmmm.. I've tented in all kinds of weather, including snow accumulations of over a foot and I've always used the same stakes I use in the summertime. Maybe I've just been lucky and found good spots to pitch my tent but it's never been a problem.

I use MSR groundhog stakes....

srestrepo
11-29-2010, 15:22
i used a set of Msr groundhogs last year. when i put up my tarp it was like 40, ground was a bit muddy so the stakes went in great. but, when woke up the next day it was 10 degrees. the ground had literally frozen to the stake. i put a stick in the loop to get them out and they didn't budge, i tried to kick the stake to free it from the ice. nothing worked. i had to melt and boil snow and pour it slowly over the stake and get it out eventually.

garlic08
11-29-2010, 15:25
I use titanium shepherd's crook stakes year 'round. In deep snow I use skis and poles and I carry a little extra cord to make deadmen with sticks.

ChinMusic
11-29-2010, 15:51
Hmmmm.. I've tented in all kinds of weather, including snow accumulations of over a foot and I've always used the same stakes I use in the summertime. Maybe I've just been lucky and found good spots to pitch my tent but it's never been a problem.

ditto

Maybe spray the stakes with Pam/WD40 before a winter trip might help the sticking being reported? Don't know.

C-Stepper
11-29-2010, 20:19

So 10K, what do you anchor your stake to? It just doesn't seem the snow would hold it...unless your digging through the snow to the dirt?

10-K
11-29-2010, 20:47
This is my Lunar Duo sitting on top of a 6-8" of snow south of Bear Mt., NY. I drove the stakes down as far as I could and they held all night though I did suffer some pretty massive tent sagging by morning as you can see...

babbage
11-29-2010, 21:12
Dont drive the stake all the way in when you expect frozen ground - then in the morning (when its frozen in solid) drive it in that last inch or so with a rock and it will break free from the freeze and you can pull it out like normal.

C-Stepper
11-29-2010, 21:27
Good suggestions, thanks to you all for your help. Looking forward to my trip.

Toolshed
11-29-2010, 21:52
If you are planning to winter camp in deeper snow, You can't go wrong with these SMC Snow stakes (http://www.rei.com/product/358111). I have been using teh same set for at least 15 years with no issues.
I spray paint them flourescent orange every 5 years or so so I can find them when I break camp. also, I have big loops of 5 mm perlon on them, so I can run teh loop through the tent tie out and tehn run the stake through teh loop, drawng it tight.
After I plant the "stake" tight, I stomp snow over it and take off my skis or snowshoes to pack it down with my boot. 6" is all you need on top and it sets pretty hard in about 30 minutes. It is like concrete in the morning.

canoehead
11-29-2010, 22:31
I use these for for the big stuff http://www.rei.com/product/474241 (http://www.rei.com/product/474241)
http://www.rei.com/product/701779
If your in the woods just use logs, rocks, skis, poles buried in the snow etc..

Rocket Jones
11-30-2010, 00:06
If you are planning to winter camp in deeper snow, You can't go wrong with these SMC Snow stakes (http://www.rei.com/product/358111). I have been using teh same set for at least 15 years with no issues.

Carry one of these year round and it doubles as your trowel.

tuswm
12-01-2010, 01:50
I never had any problems with getting anything stuck. I have had problems getting small ones to stay put in deep snow. For that I just used large sticks. For the past two years I have been using the blue Easton aluminum hollow steaks. Now problems at all.

psyculman
12-01-2010, 07:09
Dont drive the stake all the way in when you expect frozen ground - then in the morning (when its frozen in solid) drive it in that last inch or so with a rock and it will break free from the freeze and you can pull it out like normal.

The above, with 14" knitting needles. 4 of them only weigh about 2 oz. Put one zip tie, the ones with the 'screw-down' loop on each, and either a key ring or a short piece of cord. About $6. Needles can be shorter, or, longer.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2011, 12:27
I'm not new to winter backpacking, but I am new to tenting in the winter.

What stakes do you carry to erect your tent in places where there may or may not be snow? I'm heading to the Smokies in a few weeks, and I am wondering if I need to take snow stakes, or what others do to plan for tenting in snow. Thanks.

Glad I found this thread. My situation is the same as your's - all my winter backpacking has been on the AT or LHT where I stayed in shelters. Next week I'm planning a 2 night backpack with nights expected in mid-teens.

ditto

Maybe spray the stakes with Pam/WD40 before a winter trip might help the sticking being reported? Don't know.

This seems like the simplest approach. I was also thinking of bringing an oiled rag or paper towel in a ziplock and rubbing it over the stake before pounding it in. Has anyone done this?

I'd appreciate any further insights and experience with tent-staking in the cold.