PDA

View Full Version : hogwallow flat/ spring in SNP

earlyriser26
11-29-2010, 17:27
I am thinking about a spring trip in the SNP and this looked like a possible area to camp. Two questions. 1) has anyone camped here or familiar with the area? 2) Hogwallow spring is listed in the area, but from what I have read it is unmarked and aesy to miss. How hard is it to find? is it unmarked?

jlb2012
11-29-2010, 19:10
I am thinking about a spring trip in the SNP and this looked like a possible area to camp. Two questions. 1) has anyone camped here or familiar with the area? 2) Hogwallow spring is listed in the area, but from what I have read it is unmarked and aesy to miss. How hard is it to find? is it unmarked?

1) I'm only superficially familiar with the area assuming that you are talking about the spring that is about a mile north of North Marshall but I did take the time to look at the spring about 5 months ago

2) the spring is no too difficult to find but it is "unmarked" in that it does not have one of the park's yellow banded trail posts next to it. When I checked it I was headed south on the AT and the first thing I noticed is an opening in the rocks on the left side of the trail as if an old trail joined the AT at that point - then on the right of the AT just off trail I noticed where some hiker had formed a large arrow from sticks on the ground pointing to the gap in the rocks. I looked around an noticed a couple probable camp sites and walked toward them - in the rocks maybe 50 feet from the trail near the campsites I found the spring. The spring was at that time not flowing well but it did have water in it and so I could have used it if I had need - I didn't need it however and walked back to the AT and continued on. Another hiker coming hobo from where he had camped on top of North Marshall also found the spring but did not notice the stick arrow - fwiw

Hikerhead
11-29-2010, 19:41
I've looked for that spring before and couldn't find it but by reading HOI's post I think I now know where it is and kind of remember that spot. HOI knows SNP well.

earlyriser26
11-29-2010, 19:45
1) I'm only superficially familiar with the area assuming that you are talking about the spring that is about a mile north of North Marshall but I did take the time to look at the spring about 5 months ago

2) the spring is no too difficult to find but it is "unmarked" in that it does not have one of the park's yellow banded trail posts next to it. When I checked it I was headed south on the AT and the first thing I noticed is an opening in the rocks on the left side of the trail as if an old trail joined the AT at that point - then on the right of the AT just off trail I noticed where some hiker had formed a large arrow from sticks on the ground pointing to the gap in the rocks. I looked around an noticed a couple probable camp sites and walked toward them - in the rocks maybe 50 feet from the trail near the campsites I found the spring. The spring was at that time not flowing well but it did have water in it and so I could have used it if I had need - I didn't need it however and walked back to the AT and continued on. Another hiker coming hobo from where he had camped on top of North Marshall also found the spring but did not notice the stick arrow - fwiw
Yes, this is the spring I was talking about. 5 months ago puts you in June? It may be flowing a bit better in late April. Thanks

Jayboflavin04
11-30-2010, 07:58
Yeh! did this section with some friends this fall....Yeh it is easy to miss...Yeh we camped there but it is pretty rocky. I would look for some place else to camp. When you see a weird rock formation that makes ya go "huh" look there the spring is about 20 ft off the trail.

Coffee
04-25-2013, 10:57
I'm hiking the AT through the northern district of SNP northbound from Thornton Gap this weekend, leaving the AT at the Dickey Ridge trail to head into Front Royal. I'm planning on taking two days for the hike. On my first day, I would like to cover a bit more ground rather than stopping at the Gravel Springs Hut which is a logical overnight point. I plan to get water at Gravel Springs and then decide whether to push on. I see a few possibilities if I'm ready to proceed for a few more miles:

1. The campsite in Hogwallow Flat near the spring as discussed in this thread, obtaining water from the spring (which I believe should be running well at this time of year).

2. Dry camping near the junction of the AT at Browntown trail (although this is only a short distance beyond the Gravel Springs Hut).

3. Dry camping on top of North Marshall taking in water from Gravel Springs (seems like this is a possibility based on one of the comments above).

4. Camping a short distance down the Hickerson Hollow Trail from its junction with the Dickey Ridge trail (although this is probably more than I want to travel on the first day).

Does anyone know of additional camping spots somewhat beyond Gravel Springs? Which of the four options above would offer the best camping?

Thanks!

Blissful
04-26-2013, 08:16
Thornton Gap though to Gravel Springs is a haul in itself. You might try to find a campsite in the South Marshall area. Good luck

juma
04-26-2013, 08:34
I'd stay up on mt marshall for the breeze due to the usual spring gnats. I've usually found the spring further north to be a bit clogged with leaves but water was available.

Coffee
04-27-2013, 17:59
Thornton Gap though to Gravel Springs is a haul in itself. You might try to find a campsite in the South Marshall area. Good luck

I just got back from my Thornton Gap to Front Royal hike. I ended up camping on South Marshall. Thanks for the suggestion! I also saw lots of possible spots to camp this morning passing through North Marshall and Hogwallow Flat. I never did find the spring there but I still had enough water from Gravel Springs the prior day. Both Gravel Springs and the spring near Rangeview cabin had good flow of water. Great hike and excellent weather. I left the AT at Compton Gap and took Dickey Ridge trail down to Front Royal. I am thinking about doing the Compton Gap to Harpers Ferry segment next month.

Coffee
04-27-2013, 18:01
I'd stay up on mt marshall for the breeze due to the usual spring gnats. I've usually found the spring further north to be a bit clogged with leaves but water was available.

The bugs are definitely starting to come out. Big difference from my last SNP trip in late March.