PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Jacket Identification

Hotrod
11-29-2010, 22:32
I just bought this Montbell Down Jacket online. However, seller was not responsive. Anybody know what model this jacket is and how old it might be?

camper10469
11-29-2010, 23:11
That looks like the UL Inner down jacket

Hotrod
11-29-2010, 23:33
Hopefully so. I wasn't sure because the current UL versions are quilted. So, I guess that puts this one a couple years back. I guess if it is a UL, it would put the down fill at 2 oz?

burntoutphilosopher
11-30-2010, 12:29
i think that is the alpine light down jacket.

came originally with 3.2 ounces of fill. but it doesn't look very lofted there. dry in the drier on low heat with something fleece for 5 minutes. it'll puff up.

Cool AT Breeze
11-30-2010, 13:03
Its not the inner jacket.

Hotrod
11-30-2010, 18:55
I guess the real test is to see what the weight is once I get it in the mail. Is this the first year Montbell has produced the Alpine Light? It indicates new on the Montbell website.

burntoutphilosopher
11-30-2010, 20:35
i don't know how long they have made the alpine light... but that looks EXACTLY like mine.

Hotrod
12-06-2010, 20:37
Alright, jacket has arrived. Based on my scales it weighs in just over 16 oz. So, I just that means that is would be the Montbell Alpine Jacket.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2197/MontBell-Alpine-Down-Jacket-Mens.html

According to the link above I guess it would have 6 oz. of fill.

I suppose that this would be too much jacket for a pct thru-hike. Agreed? Maybe I'll need to work out a trade or sell it and get an UL down jacket. Any thoughts?

burntoutphilosopher
12-06-2010, 20:46
too warm? is that possible>?

i have the alpine light down jacket, 4 oz of fill and it's good to about 5 or ten degF. if i am walking... with capilene underneath.

but at 16 ounces, that weighs about what any warm enugh fleece would, and it's much more jacket for the money (and ounces).

when are you hiking ?

aaronthebugbuffet
12-06-2010, 20:49
I was watching that sale.
It looked like the now discontinued alpine jacket.
Its very warm. I use it in winter at camp or at breaks.

Hotrod
12-06-2010, 20:57
Yes, I'm not arguing that it is very warm. I'm just saying that it probably would be more ideal for a winter jacket while a 7 oz. UL would probably be more ideal for a thru-hike.

I'm glad I got the jacket. I'm just wondering if the UL would be more ideal for a thru-hike for the weight, compression and flexibility of use.

burntoutphilosopher
12-06-2010, 21:02
i'm hiking the PCT with an early start, so i will take the alpine light down.

sorry can't hel pwithout knowing when your hiking (and i'm assumeing the AT)

aaronthebugbuffet
12-06-2010, 21:05
Yes, I'm not arguing that it is very warm. I'm just saying that it probably would be more ideal for a winter jacket while a 7 oz. UL would probably be more ideal for a thru-hike.

I'm glad I got the jacket. I'm just wondering if the UL would be more ideal for a thru-hike for the weight, compression and flexibility of use.
Definitely too warm. The UL would be better.

Hotrod
12-06-2010, 21:20
I'm tentatively planing a PCT thru-hike in 2011, probably start ~April 23(?). When I previously hiked the AT, I primarily just had a SS tee, micro fleece pullover and a Marmot Precip rain jacket.

Reviewing peoples PCT gear lists, it appears the Montbell UL jackets seem to be all the rage. I just not sure what kind of weather I would need to be prepared for on the PCT.

burntoutphilosopher
12-07-2010, 19:45
^^ in 2010 we had a really cold and wet SOCAL, but statistically that is not the norm.

are you on PCT-L, there was just a chart sent out about high and low temps through the whole hike, was a bit helpful.

i'm starting april 17, and am planning for at least a few nights to be in the 25 degree area. you will likely experience some temps bellow freezing in the beginning. sadly when it's coldest is early mornings, and that's when my body is coldest, getting up, getting ready for hiking, etc