PDA

View Full Version : another record attempt

Pages : [1] 2

Lone Wolf
11-30-2010, 10:47
http://2011appalachiantrailrun.webs.com/aboutme.htm

JEBjr
11-30-2010, 11:52
A Navy SEAL... I shall look forward to following his progress.

Anyone recall how fast the Galilee Man did the trail this year?

Jeff
11-30-2010, 12:04
Galilee Man did the trail in 65 days. Not sure that he ever posted his results down to the hour and minute. That would put him in second place among unsupported hikers of the AT.

fiddlehead
11-30-2010, 12:22
He doesn't say (that i can find) if he has ever hiked the trail.
I would think it would be a prerequisite for an attempt at this record but then, Galilee man showed me wrong last year as he came a lot closer than almost anyone thought he would i believe.

An April 1 start doesn't seem like a good time at all.
There may still be a lot of snow in New England and especially the whites of course in late May.
45 days later would be better IMO.

But, I wish him luck and will probably be following the adventure.
I see he has kids. That makes it tougher.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2010, 12:38
if it were me i'd start august 1st and go SOBO

Hikerhead
11-30-2010, 13:08
Looks to me like he's training at the beach... big miles at the beach won't be the same as big miles in the mtns. But I'm behind him, I hope he does well.

CrumbSnatcher
11-30-2010, 13:53
Galilee Man did the trail in 65 days. Not sure that he ever posted his results down to the hour and minute. That would put him in second place among unsupported hikers of the AT.
I tried to follow his journal from day to day,it was going good til around the whites or so,then it seemed he didn't post much and his speed seemed to speed way up thru the hardest part. finished 5 or 10 days faster than i thought he would

Blissful
11-30-2010, 14:44
While the areas he plans to raise money for are applaudible, as is his military service, this sentence on the web site kind of put me off -

"First, if you would like to donate directly to my efforts, keeping in mind that without a certain amount of donations it will be extremely difficult to pull this off."

Why would it be difficult to "pull this off" without donations to his hike? I'd think he would do better to earn the money as we all do for this kind of venture and then go hike and raise money for the needy causes. But that's just me.

Sly
11-30-2010, 15:39

I'll help in support. It will be the senior record, over 50. You'll have it made being the 1st. Let's go for it.

The Cleaner
11-30-2010, 16:50
Needy people on Hilton Head Island? My sister has a time share condo deal down there she never said anything about the hunger problem....she did say that there are many million$+ homes there....

Squeaky 2
11-30-2010, 17:00
i wish him all the best for this one. but i hope he does not start early april. good luck

JEBjr
11-30-2010, 17:42
Thanks Jeff. I followed Galilee Man's trail journal and never was really sure how long it took him to complete the trail.

An attempt at the unsupported record asking for support. :)

weary
11-30-2010, 18:02
While the areas he plans to raise money for are applaudible, as is his military service, this sentence on the web site kind of put me off -

"First, if you would like to donate directly to my efforts, keeping in mind that without a certain amount of donations it will be extremely difficult to pull this off."

Why would it be difficult to "pull this off" without donations to his hike? I'd think he would do better to earn the money as we all do for this kind of venture and then go hike and raise money for the needy causes. But that's just me.

He obviously wants folks to help pay his costs as he attempts to set a record. I don't support charity for people just so they can enjoy challenging themselves in the outdoors, even when they give some of the largess to the poor people living on an island of mostly wealthy people.

mudhead
11-30-2010, 18:05
Needy people on Hilton Head Island? My sister has a time share condo deal down there she never said anything about the hunger problem....she did say that there are many million$+ homes there....

Some of the employee housing that I saw was a little rough.

Plenty of overpriced houses there for sure.

TOW
11-30-2010, 18:25
Looks to me like he's training at the beach... big miles at the beach won't be the same as big miles in the mtns. But I'm behind him, I hope he does well.
i'd say he had better get some mountain running under his belt so that he can have an idea what he is up against....

fiddlehead
11-30-2010, 19:01
I'll help in support. It will be the senior record, over 50. You'll have it made being the 1st. Let's go for it.

Hey, now that sounds interesting.
I'm tempted to join up.

But this guy is attempting an unsupported hike.

Let him try to raise the money he needs. Why not.
You don't have to give.
(besides, some of the money might even get to the children's cause. But they are both good IMO)

Johnny Thunder
11-30-2010, 19:53
how quick did chip complete it unsupported?

Jeff
11-30-2010, 20:19
Ward "Chip" Leonard completed his hike in 60 days 16 hrs.

Here is a thread from 2009 discussing all the supported and unsupported speed hikes:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49754

TheChop
11-30-2010, 20:28

HHI is a lot of rich and vacation homes but the outlying areas are poor as dirt. The island itself is expensive but it also requires quite a bit of "help" and those people mostly live off island in Savannah, Bluffton, Hardeeville type cities. Some of them don't.

Believe me the nice sections of HHI are rich as all get out but there is some desolate and terrifying poverty being hidden behind all those nice road signs and woods everywhere. I walked into a woman's house in Hardeeville once and the only thing she had to eat were Ramen noodles. She'd stopped using her living room because the roof started leaking and she couldn't afford to fix it.

My power to him but statements like this:

At the time, Tennison began going out on the vast, varied Pacific Crest Trail, which he describes as much more difficult than the AT. “You’ll have maybe 30 or 40 miles between water stops,” he says. “On the AT, you might experience a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a day. On the Pacific Crest, there are places you’ll have a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a mile. On your daily hike, you go from 8,000 feet from the desert floor into Idyllwild.”

Seem preposterous. The PCT is pack rated and the AT isn't. It seems odd that he'd make a statement like that if he was that serious about breaking the record. It also seems odd that he'd train on an island for a mountain ridge walk. I could see sand being good to walk in but I have to be a little skeptical even if I don't really want to.

stranger
11-30-2010, 22:01
Why does this guy need donations? He's attempting a unsupported record break of the AT, this means hiking 36 miles per day, this also means (most likely) no days off, no bars, no zeros in motels, no movies, waterparks, Trail Days, this, that...where is this guy going to spend money? Trail food? Trail food for 60 days? A few hostels, a couple motels?

Also, this whole 'raising money for a cause' thing (by hiking) kinda annoys me.

You want to make a difference, you want to raise money, you want to help children, cancer, this, that...go to work in those causes, talk to people on the street, community organise, secure funding by haunting politicians, run fundraisers, raffles, campaign 16 hours a day,etc...How much money does this guy really think he's going to raise by hiking for 60 days?

I've raised $10,000 in a week before by doing the above, sounds like a really good excuse to go hiking, and perhaps gain sympathetic donations : )

I could of course, be wrong...

stranger
11-30-2010, 22:11
Finally...the thing I really liked about Ward Leonard was that he didn't give a rats ass what anyone thought, he wasn't trying to impress anyone, hike in the name of a cause, raise donations, get sponsors, he was also incredibly honest, direct, and yes at times somewhat unpredictable...

He liked to go hiking and that's what he did. Also his record was set in 1990, that's nearly 21 years ago. Remember what hiking was like 21 years ago?

I've said this before on this topic, but even if someone breaks Ward's record, it won't matter, Ward is still the man, the legend, a pioneer in many ways. Intent and context mean more to me than simply the end result, and that means Ward's record is unbreakable IMO, well alteast by this guy.

Does anyone really think that Scott Williamson, Andrew Skurka or Justin Lichter couldn't break this record tomorrow? But for some reason, it hasn't happened.

Oh well, guess we'll find out soon enough

jersey joe
11-30-2010, 22:47
Speed hikes always interest me. I will be following this one for sure. It would be a bonus if he could keep as up to date a log as Galilee Man did on his hike for others could follow along. As others have already said, the April start date seems a bit early. I wonder if the lower temperatures will offset the shorter daylight hours.

One thing that struck me from the site was this line...
..." I will be setting the record for an UNASSISTED trek of the 2,175 miles..."
Not I will attempt, but I WILL. He seems confident.

I'm not sure about the raising money for the hike part, but I applaud the raising money for a cause, not only does it raise some money, but it raises awareness.

weary
11-30-2010, 23:00
....this whole 'raising money for a cause' thing (by hiking) kinda annoys me......
Me too. Though I would substitute "greatly" for "kinda." Within weeks of returning from my long walk in 1993 I learned that our town land trust had a chance to buy 253 acres of wildland on a pretty pond in the center of town for only $165,000.

The only problem was we had never raised more than $1,800 in a single year since being formed 20 years earlier, and the seller wanted to close within nine months. Had anyone suggested that a member could raise that kind of money by walking a trail we would have laughed him out of the room.

Instead we designed brochures, wrote fund raising letters, divided the list of town residents among board members to be contacted, manned our telephones and the money came in -- somewhat to my surprise, I'll admit.

As we approached our goal we took out a bank note that fall. We paid off the note four months later.

Sorry for the digression. But that's how one raises money. Not by gimmicks like sponsoring vacations for someone.

Aside from the obvious, this guy seems to have no idea about what he is getting into. He plans to start April 1, because that will get him ahead of the crush of spring hikers. Someone should tell him April 1 will place him right in the middle of the pack of northbound hikers.

He worries about meeting maurading bears just coming out of hibernation in the south, but is confident he can outwit them. Someone should tell him a thousand hikers will have passed by the time he starts Georgia and North Carolina. Bears will be so stuffed -- or at least bored -- with hikers by then that they won't bother with one skinny runner dashing up the trail.

If he comes close to breaking a record, he will be wading through snow drifts from Vermont, New Hampshire, and through much of Maine. Not exactly a good terrain for setting a speed record.

And if he gets to Katahdin Stream by late May, and 2011 is a normal climate year, he can expect to wait days, maybe even a week or more for the Katahdin trails to open.

Johnny Thunder
12-01-2010, 02:59
i'll admit that this is something that occasionally crosses my mind while i'm spacing out on a long run. but i have a tendency to take activities to their absolute conclusion. if i did something like this it would be for me. if you want to pledge to my speed hike you can pledge to match me at a rate of one mile per ten. give to the charity of get less fat. that's my philanthropy. i'll make it about me being my best and you make it about you being your best.

i like when people challenge themselves. and i guess the "record" is a brass ring. but if you start by thinking that your accomplishment is defined by someone else's best then you've already failed. because there's only one fastest...and more than likely, that guy is not you.

i have been intrigued by the 60 day figure because 41 miles was been my longest day on the at and i was neither prepared or conditioned for that sort of abuse. but with practice i think it's feasible to maintain a hiking day average of 41 miles (with time for rest/resupply/etc) in an effort to pay off a few neroes/zeroes. but 60 days doesn't grab me because some other dude did it in 60.5...just that i think for me, that would be the best i could possible do.

i wish this guy the best of luck.

on a side note: lone wolf...you suggested august 1st southbound as your ideal date...which i assume is preferable because of the weather being cooler. i'd start on May 22nd heading north because that'd guarantee the longest 60 days of the year.

QuarterPounder
12-01-2010, 08:20

Interesting, I think would do the same. I ended up flip-flopping on my thru this year after having to take time off for an illness. I didn't set out to go faster on the sobo, however the avg. MPD was higher despite tougher hiking conditions in Maine and New Hampshire. I'm not sure why... I think the weather was a factor...it was great on the southern trek. I started the sobo on August 12th.

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 09:36
dd214 box 24. i know what mine says. may we see yours?very skeptical.not meaning offence

garlic08
12-01-2010, 10:14

Exactly what I would do. Probably get the best weather and trail conditions that way.

If the guy thinks the AT is easier terrain than the PCT, he has a big shock coming up. Not saying he can't or won't be successful, but he's just dead wrong in that statement in the article. The average AT slope is almost twice that of the PCT. It's a little disconcerting that he doesn't know that yet. In my opinion the AT is easier, overall, than the PCT (my own pace increased on the AT compared to the PCT), but you need to be very prepared for the steepness, both climbing and descending.

Mizirlou
12-01-2010, 11:07
dd214 box 24. i know what mine says. may we see yours?very skeptical.not meaning offence

:rolleyes:Agree.
http://www.hiltonheadmonthly.com/health/features/89-features/1703-the-road-less-traveled

The reporter should’ve made a quick phone call to area code 757 in Chesapeake, VA to verify. . .
www.extremesealexperience.com/96.l.2140.Phony_SEALs (http://www.extremesealexperience.com/96.l.2140.Phony_SEALs)

Crazyhair
12-01-2010, 11:29

The virus of misunderstanding can spread quickly when a few people don't have all of the information. First of all, there will not be a dime profited personally by this endeavour. My thoughts are with the children that I might be able to help and unfortunately I'm not a polititian or even a rich man. I'm rather poor, using old and outdated gear. I'm relying on my experience and my never quit attitude I learned throughout my life to pull this off. Donations made to me are so I can resupply and have a well deserved ride home when I'm finished. Anything over and above what I need will go evenly to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Sandalwood Food Pantry of Hilton Head Islan. It's too bad that there are some people out there that think I'm trying to raise money for myself. :confused:

Mizirlou
12-01-2010, 11:56
The virus of misunderstanding can spread quickly when a few people don't have all of the information.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Crazyhair :welcome

First up, Blissful isn’t misinformationally viral.
Secondly, you got on the food bank website and made an appeal to them for donations to your hike:
http://sandalwoodcommunityfoodbank.blogspot.com/

It sounds like. It looks like. But we're all ears when it comes to more information from you :sun

Good luck on your hike. And, um, can you answer Matthewski’s question?

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 12:07
please check the link above and respond. i dont want my friends giving this cause money. our site is a target for such episodes as we are very open to all. and hikers in general are understanding of the mentally ill trying to hike for health.but this case is aborant to what men fight for. and die for. in my heart, i know whats what about this. but i would like some of your reactions. aynone claiming servise to this country who lies about it, needs public shameing and medical help. this whole story stinks and did from the get go. any novice can see the falsehoods. i personally belive the man will be prosicuted.and maby we should help.

Crazyhair
12-01-2010, 12:10
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Crazyhair :welcome

First up, Blissful isn’t misinformationally viral.
Secondly, you got on the food bank website and made an appeal to them for donations to your hike:
http://sandalwoodcommunityfoodbank.blogspot.com/

It sounds like. It looks like. But we're all ears when it comes to more information from you :sun

Good luck on your hike. And, um, can you answer Matthewski’s question?
I would like to take this moment to correct you. I never asked any other cause, including the food pantry's site for donations. I'm asking people to donate to the food pantry. You asked me to answer Matthewski's question...what is the question?

Mizirlou
12-01-2010, 12:13
:rolleyes: dd214 box 24?

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 12:14
when you get any award at all, its really easy to prove.

zero! freeze private freeze! urah.

Crazyhair
12-01-2010, 12:16
please check the link above and respond. i dont want my friends giving this cause money. our site is a target for such episodes as we are very open to all. and hikers in general are understanding of the mentally ill trying to hike for health.but this case is aborant to what men fight for. and die for. in my heart, i know whats what about this. but i would like some of your reactions. aynone claiming servise to this country who lies about it, needs public shameing and medical help. this whole story stinks and did from the get go. any novice can see the falsehoods. i personally belive the man will be prosicuted.and maby we should help.
Crazyhair...I went into the Navy in 1987 and went dirctly to BUD/S class 155. I completed several years at SEAL Team 5 until I went back to BUD/S as an instructor for classes 200 to 208 of which I was the proctor. I got out in 1997. The naysaying will only make you look foolish in the end.

John B
12-01-2010, 12:19
Personally I don't want any money that I may contribute to help feed hungry kids going to feed a hungry hiker. I know it's a common way to raise money, a portion of donations going to cover 'costs', so to speak, and in the running world Team In Training has made it an art form, but it's not my cup of tea. That said, good luck on your record attempt.

Mizirlou
12-01-2010, 12:21
when you get any award at all, its really easy to prove.zero! freeze private freeze! urah.

:rolleyes:What’s the little green ball in the left lower corner of your hiker icon? Mine’s blue.

Crazyhair: got a scanner?

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 12:24
24 says"charicter of service .includes upgrades." i worked at the eastern division hq for the usmc. what was your last dutystation?

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 12:34
i never say i was a marine cause i got no AIT when they saw i was night and colorblind and had reactive hypoglycemia. but i was treated with much dignity by my co's at hq. i worked in carpool admin, mail clerks office shipping boots and other fun jobs. my platoon was 3015 3rd battalion . i can tell you my laundry number from boot if asked. and i can tell you the usmc was my home and straightened me out as a kid and gave me respect for folks and freedoms. i wish i did serve as others did. then i could be proud. as is, im only able to be proud of others. mailing boots and washing generals cars aint servin. but they sure served me well. and gave me alot .god bless real soldiers everywhere.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2010, 12:35
on a side note: lone wolf...you suggested august 1st southbound as your ideal date...which i assume is preferable because of the weather being cooler. i'd start on May 22nd heading north because that'd guarantee the longest 60 days of the year.

i suggest a SOBO direction simply because he can knock out the first 400 miles while he's still fresh and strong then recover quickly

Mizirlou
12-01-2010, 12:39
god bless real soldiers everywhere.

Penelope from SNL hiking the Appalachian Trail:
I’m going to hike the trail to find missing children, so-o-o
I’m going to collect more money than you, so-o-o
I’m going to hike faster than you, so-o-o
I did 9 tours in 7 years in Afghanistan, so-o-o
But I had pepper spray, so-o-o

Rocket Jones
12-01-2010, 15:27
Donations made to me are so I can resupply and have a well deserved ride home when I'm finished. Anything over and above what I need will go evenly to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Sandalwood Food Pantry of Hilton Head Islan. It's too bad that there are some people out there that think I'm trying to raise money for myself. :confused:

In one sentence you talk about money for you to hike and get home. Next sentence says what's left goes to charity. Then you claim that it's unfair that people think you're trying to raise money for yourself.

:-?

M1 Thumb
12-01-2010, 16:26
From what I have read on this site and his, he has no plans to personally make a profit from this endeavor, only to cover some of the expenses with any balances going to the charities he has identified.

He did not initially come to WB and post links or directly ask for donations. Other WB members have made it a point to highlight this. I don't see why it matters how he chooses to raise money to complete this. No one here is being forced to donate.

Why is it so hard to just simply wish him good luck and leave it at that?

Crazyhair, I wish you the best of luck and maybe we will cross paths next year on the trail.

weary
12-01-2010, 16:59
From what I have read on this site and his, he has no plans to personally make a profit from this endeavor, only to cover some of the expenses with any balances going to the charities he has identified.

He did not initially come to WB and post links or directly ask for donations. Other WB members have made it a point to highlight this. I don't see why it matters how he chooses to raise money to complete this. No one here is being forced to donate.

Why is it so hard to just simply wish him good luck and leave it at that?

Crazyhair, I wish you the best of luck and maybe we will cross paths next year on the trail.
Are you suggesting that we should ignore the conflicting claims about his background in the American military, and that he seems to have little if any knowledge about the Appalachian Trail and of the things needed for a successful record attempt.

We may be doing the guy a gross mis service. But there is no way to find out for sure without information that only he can provide.

Lostone
12-01-2010, 17:09
Wouldn't a more effective means of fund raising be working and donating 100% of your pay check to the cause????

So Crazyhair, are you paying your own way or taking a portion of the funds raised to pay your way?????

I really dislike this sort of thing......

Remember the twenty something family with 2 year old who are going to hike the trail to raise money for their ministry. I wonder if they bagged the idea yet.

Lostone
12-01-2010, 17:16
I completely missed the part where he had sponsors already. I am not sure what the sponsors gave you, but you should really sell it and donate the money to the food pantry.

Looking at the pictures on the website it appears you lead a life of privilege. So why are you begging for free equipment???????

sitting here shaking my head

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 17:49
they put him in contact with companys that gave him some gear. north face is one. the store knows nothing of any millitary connection with" mitch". they didnt give him any gear personaly. they dont know him well. hes been in the store a couple times.they are not aware of any website of his displaying any millitary carrer info. 1 800686 6996 is their number.

Mizirlou
12-01-2010, 18:01
VIDEO Hilton Head Man Trains for Record Run
http://www2.wsav.com/news/2010/sep/10/hilton-head-man-trains-for-record-run-36283-vi-51492/

Yet another achievement -- 1,000 miles of the PCT within a month. No mention of Navy SEALs this time.

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 18:14
um. ladies and gents. you need to google his name.

their are only three people in the united states with this name

there are no listings in any white pages for this name

an"incredible?!" prompt comes up due to the few selections, none of witch are on this coast.and asks if you can belive that there are only three.

now, i aint a rocket scientist...

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 18:21
sorry, their is a listing for him.if you pay you can see stuff.

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 18:29
02-02 20 May 2002 Rescue Pacific Crest Trail Tom Roseman
I received a call at work from Sgt. Diederich around 1600 requesting that we go on alert for a possible rescue on the Pacific Crest Trail north of Walker Pass. The victim, Mitchell Scott Tennison, had contacted the sheriff by cell phone and was suffering from dehydration and severe blisters on both feet.
Janet Westbrook agreed to serve as the coordinator and started the callout. I also announced the alert over the pager system at that time. I received a second call from Sgt. Diederich at 1730 requesting that we change to rescue status and proceed to the intersection of Chimney Peak Road and Highway 178. A Kern County OH-58 helicopter crew had spotted the victim but was not sure that they could land close enough to reach him. I notified Janet to have everyone meet at the hut as soon as possible. The following members left the hut at about 1820: Tom Roseman, Tom Sakai, Linda Finco, Al Green, Debbie Breitenstein, Paul DeRuiter, and Dave Miles. Bob Huey reached me by cell phone as we were driving out of town and was about 10 minutes behind us. Terry Mitchell later took over as coordinator when Janet had to leave.
We arrived at Chimney Peak Road about 1900 and learned that the helicopter had contacted Tennison. They were going to attempt to get him to the helicopter and fly him out. Several members of the Kern Valley team along with a number of sheriff's deputies moved with us to the Cannell Ranch at about 1915 to be in place in case a carryout was required. About 15 minutes after we arrived at the ranch, the helicopter crew lifted off with Tennison and flew to the ranch. We returned to Ridgecrest and were done by 2045.
A couple of things are worthy of mention. First, the pilot of the sheriff's helicopter was very good. Second, we met and talked with Sgt. Moore, newly assigned as head of the Ridgecrest Station. I invited him to join us at our next meeting.

TheChop
12-01-2010, 18:41
Having worked in a media market like this there'd be little to no reason to fact check much of this. It's a good fluff/filler human interest piece for the news/magazine etc. Reporters are lazy.

Mizirlou
12-01-2010, 18:54
20 May 2002 Rescue Pacific Crest Trail

2002 was a bad year
http://riimsweb.co.tulare.ca.us/riimsweb/Asp/ORInquiry.asp

Johnny Thunder
12-01-2010, 19:54
i suggest a SOBO direction simply because he can knock out the first 400 miles while he's still fresh and strong then recover quickly

Yeah, i see that. and there's probably fewer rainy days. i think that if you're a runner it might work in your favor even more...but september 30th has almost 3 hours less daylight than june 21st. surely, that must be worth something.

don't call me shirley.

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 20:08
johnney thunder and lwolf . any way you will feild a question concerning the merits of hiking for charitys and if its moral to do so with no formal decleration of intentions and proof of legitemacy? no? well then continue your disccusion. sorry to interupt.

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 20:16
cause in my opinion your uninterested.witch is fine. maby thats the way. just watch and pretend theirs nothing to watch if you wish. i live on gut feelings. funny how you cant correlate the info on here to form an opinion you wish to publisize. i guess we have no dispute? okay then. if johnney and wolf are helping mitchell, so will i. good luck mitchell scott tennison with your attempt. seal stuff aside,....even if your a nut? good luck attempting to break the speed record of the appalachian trail. you have lwolf and johnney thunder working the math now. thats a great start. listen well to these hikers. they know if and how it can be done. as for me, not sorry i suspect you.

JEBjr
12-01-2010, 20:31
Note to self: when you go for the AT Record don't make it
public knowledge. :)

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 20:37
note to self: when you go to bizzaroworld, try to retake the ship holding my friends and bring them back.lol.
also, when attempting record breaking hype,remember who your up against.

jersey joe
12-01-2010, 21:40
I for one have heard enough bashing of a guy that isn't even here to defend himself. Looking forward to April 1 to see if he does start the attempt and wishing him luck in his endeavor.

Johnny Thunder
12-01-2010, 21:45
climb aboard the sloop johnny t.

my at speedhike gear list.

a stuffsack backpack...probably similar to the ones outdoor research put out a few years back. rei has one out now i think.

1 pound 40 degree bag

8 ounce 5x9 tarp (stakes, plastic)

1 or 2 ounces of thin as heck ccf

no stove. a headlamp. a razor blade. garbage bag in the pack.

windshirt. wind pants. running tights/shirt

knit hat. pair of underwear. 2 pairs of socks.

1 liter water bladder. water drops.

t-shirt. shorts. socks. nike free's.

cell phone/charger. duct tape. pills. wad of twenties to flash at oncoming drivers to ensure quick and easy hitching into town.

that's about 5 pounds carried. lot's of nights in shelters...not many nights in town. up and hiking by 5:30 AM. sounds like fun.

discuss.

Skidsteer
12-01-2010, 21:49
I for one have heard enough bashing of a guy that isn't even here to defend himself. Looking forward to April 1 to see if he does start the attempt and wishing him luck in his endeavor.

:confused:

But he is here. And he's been defending himself. Sort of.

jersey joe
12-01-2010, 21:57
:confused:

But he is here. And he's been defending himself. Sort of.
Ah, I didn't realize Crazyhair was this guy...my bad. Crazyhair, I wish you luck on your attempt, don't sweat the negative posts...

stranger
12-01-2010, 22:13
I just want to say I don't think it's fair to go digging into this guy's past and bringing up all kinds of **** regarding rescue's, military service, etc...

As a critic of Crazyhorse, I feel we should be focusing on the aspects of the hike, not anything else. I'm sure none of you would like people attempting to get dirt on your past.

I think this thread is starting to get carried away and some people seem paranoid or something, must be those military types :) JK!!!

weary
12-01-2010, 22:15
Ah, I didn't realize Crazyhair was this guy...my bad. Crazyhair, I wish you luck on your attempt, don't sweat the negative posts...
What a coincidence. You thru hiked in 2002, which is also the year Crazyhair had to be rescued from the Pacific Crest Trail by helicopter with badly blistered feet.

vamelungeon
12-01-2010, 22:22
It's actually pretty easy to find out if someone is/was a Navy Seal-
http://veriseal.org
They are quite interested in anyone who says they are but ain't.
I don't like the way this smells. I'd like to get someone to pay for my AT thru too but I've got to wait till I retire and pay for it myself.

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 22:22
sheeple please
send me money
sheeple please
send me running
sheeple please
drive me home
sheeple please
id love to roam
sheeple please
gimmie gear
sheeple please
i shed a tear
sheeple please
send it here
sheeple please
im a seal
sheeple please
im for real
sheeple please
sheep meats so good
sheeple please
i aint no hood
sheeple please
if you must
sheeple please
matthewski dont trust
sheeple please
im not a wolf
sheeple please
cant you sees

The_Saint
12-01-2010, 22:35
sheeple please
send me money
sheeple please
send me running
sheeple please
drive me home
sheeple please
id love to roam
sheeple please
gimmie gear
sheeple please
i shed a tear
sheeple please
send it here
sheeple please
im a seal
sheeple please
im for real
sheeple please
sheep meats so good
sheeple please
i aint no hood
sheeple please
if you must
sheeple please
matthewski dont trust
sheeple please
im not a wolf
sheeple please
cant you sees

Mr. Matthewski, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I literally mean what I typed and that goes for all your posts.

weary
12-01-2010, 22:36
I just want to say I don't think it's fair to go digging into this guy's past and bringing up all kinds of **** regarding rescue's, military service, etc...

As a critic of Crazyhorse, I feel we should be focusing on the aspects of the hike, not anything else. I'm sure none of you would like people attempting to get dirt on your past.

I think this thread is starting to get carried away and some people seem paranoid or something, must be those military types :) JK!!!
Crazyhair is the one who first cited his past accomplishments, and what he planned to do. His plans suggested he was not as familiar with these matters as he was implying. It was natural that posters would check to see what else he was saying that might also be questioned.

But I'll join in wishing him luck. Though I won't contribute any money to his effort. What spare cash I have all goes to promote more important matters. Nor, given the evidence so far, am I likely to believe whatever it is that he may claim to have done come next June.

fiddlehead
12-01-2010, 22:50
There seems to be a politically correct rule that says you should do things for a good cause if you want to raise money.
I never liked this as i almost always distrust those who try it. (been fooled and found out about it once or twice) And I don't think more than a tiny bit of the money ever gets to that cause.

I have a company and usually will give free gear or a discount to people who ask for it (without the BS) as I have been there myself and asked and got virtually nothing (did have one cash donation for our hiking fund once).

I'm sure we'll be watching to see his progress come April.
If he wouldn't have brought up the Navy Seal Deal and the Poor children's fund and kept it at his own hiking fund, I'm sure a lot more of us would be rooting for him next year.

As it is, I think he'll regret ever hearing of Whiteblaze.
We're a tough group to BS.

As with all attempts like this, he really should go hike the trail first to see what it's like.

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 23:08
fine. veriseal has all the facts now. lets let the proffessionals look into it and drop it for now. and if im wrong, sorry. its the least ill do on behalf of the ones whos lives pay daily for mine. i also would agree i aint the most normal one here and that i rant and ramble and jump to conclutions. ive done that alot in my messed up life. but i still defend defenders of freedom when my gut makes me. and its my gut talkin.i got no facts . i got no proof. im all in if hes for real. all in with a huge appologie i will make publicly.dropping it till then.

Blissful
12-02-2010, 00:11
Donations made to me are so I can resupply and have a well deserved ride home when I'm finished. It's too bad that there are some people out there that think I'm trying to raise money for myself. :confused:

Crazyhair, I'm sorry, but you are raising money for yourself. To feed you and "give you a well deserved ride home." :-?

Look, I was not negative on my post. The only thing I said was that I'd rather one do what we all do - earn the money to hike your hike rather than asking for donations to take a hike and get a ride afterward (which could also be done by hitching). :)

Anyway, if you want to gather donations to go to worthy causes, that's super. Great. Go for it! Many do it without asking for personal funds. They go door to door or send out mailers or ask online. I personally know several fellow hikers who raised money for causes during their hikes but never asked for a dime to fund their hike. And one of the hikers I know was military. And the hikers raised a fair amount.

But they also waited to do it until they had the means to hike. It was their contribution to the cause. And it made their hike all the more worthwhile.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 09:24
Mr. Matthewski, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
I literally mean what I typed and that goes for all your posts.

@ The_Saint: Sumpin' wrong with you, dude. On another thread you stood on the holy mount to complain, “I don’t understand why someone can’t say how he feels and not have people bash him for his experience.” So now people are expressing their opinions on this thread and you’re bashing them. And invoking a Higher Power while doing it.

Your attack against Matthewski sounds like a crucifixion. Oh wait, you already got called on that previously by a highly regarded White Blazer on another thread, who pointed out your tendency to nail people with high post counts. Try picking on Lone Wolf, who started this thread, and see what results. ;)

Anyone who seeks money and attention (newspaper and TV interviews) for AT exploits gets scrutinized. In this case:
Bravado + Merchandising = Social Condemnation
Fair and square.

The issue here is purity, IMO -- hawking the Appalachian Trail like a cheap bill of goods.

max patch
12-02-2010, 09:31

Its rare that a movie quote accurately fits a situation to serve as a reply. This one does. You nailed it.

Lostone
12-02-2010, 09:42
I musta read enough mat posts to finally figure out what he is sayin.

People are sheep after all.

Most I have met in my life are completely self absorbed and self promoting. Even the most wealthy man I have ever met had his hand out and stuck me with dinner.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 09:54
You nailed it.

:rolleyes: You nailed it. The Saint, speaking in tongues, using the holy language of Adam Sandler.

the goat
12-02-2010, 10:03
02-02 20 May 2002 Rescue Pacific Crest Trail Tom Roseman
I received a call at work from Sgt. Diederich around 1600 requesting that we go on alert for a possible rescue on the Pacific Crest Trail north of Walker Pass. The victim, Mitchell Scott Tennison, had contacted the sheriff by cell phone and was suffering from dehydration and severe blisters on both feet.
Janet Westbrook agreed to serve as the coordinator and started the callout. I also announced the alert over the pager system at that time. I received a second call from Sgt. Diederich at 1730 requesting that we change to rescue status and proceed to the intersection of Chimney Peak Road and Highway 178. A Kern County OH-58 helicopter crew had spotted the victim but was not sure that they could land close enough to reach him. I notified Janet to have everyone meet at the hut as soon as possible. The following members left the hut at about 1820: Tom Roseman, Tom Sakai, Linda Finco, Al Green, Debbie Breitenstein, Paul DeRuiter, and Dave Miles. Bob Huey reached me by cell phone as we were driving out of town and was about 10 minutes behind us. Terry Mitchell later took over as coordinator when Janet had to leave.
We arrived at Chimney Peak Road about 1900 and learned that the helicopter had contacted Tennison. They were going to attempt to get him to the helicopter and fly him out. Several members of the Kern Valley team along with a number of sheriff's deputies moved with us to the Cannell Ranch at about 1915 to be in place in case a carryout was required. About 15 minutes after we arrived at the ranch, the helicopter crew lifted off with Tennison and flew to the ranch. We returned to Ridgecrest and were done by 2045.
A couple of things are worthy of mention. First, the pilot of the sheriff's helicopter was very good. Second, we met and talked with Sgt. Moore, newly assigned as head of the Ridgecrest Station. I invited him to join us at our next meeting.

i am rooting for him, i think he's got a pretty good shot especiallly if he's traveling by helicopter.:D

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 10:22
lets just look at red flags here if we could without the infighting. we all love each other like brothers.

navy seal instructor sniper resqued for blisters.
yeah, that could happen,..not.

dude, soldiers have an air about them. not a gas.

then theirs his look.

and his words.

and the facts of his inexsperience.

lack of pride. not interested in defending his honor. bla bla bla.

and finnaly,..he called us neysayers! outch.

in a world where you get sued for slander, sheeple go mute,sldiers fight unapreciated, and con men rule.

yall aint from a city are yall?

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 10:28
i stand for what i belive and will bow to my peers corrections.
i called the outfitter
i emailed veriseal.org
i outted him here
i am takeing your flakk
and im fine with it. i feel great. i just caught a crook in my opinion.im gonna get a pat on the back from my friends and look forward to that.ill sleep better later. and finaly,..i have shown sheeple where the whisky is so to speak. now have a belt,..aand another,...and when you find your guts, we'll hike together. untill then, allow an american who has a ball talk. this is simple fraud.

vamelungeon
12-02-2010, 10:42
i stand for what i belive and will bow to my peers corrections.
i called the outfitter
i emailed veriseal.org
i outted him here
i am takeing your flakk
and im fine with it. i feel great. i just caught a crook in my opinion.im gonna get a pat on the back from my friends and look forward to that.ill sleep better later. and finaly,..i have shown sheeple where the whisky is so to speak. now have a belt,..aand another,...and when you find your guts, we'll hike together. untill then, allow an american who has a ball talk. this is simple fraud.
The jury's still out but I have to say everything points in the direction you say it points.

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 10:58
thanks man. last night the sheep poo may have gotten me confused.woke up laughing. look at the guy,..i could fart and his house of cards would blow over. and men who instruct classes in sealdom aint broke after ten years of service. his pension alone would afford some gear. and seals dont even nead air let alone gear. and seals are trained focused truthful men to a one. they are picked to be that and hardened into lean mean fightin machines. and seals defend their honor or dont need to ever cause no one in their right mind would attack it. save some hippy sheeple maby. cons work like this. just like this. did you know that the foodbank is in a temporary garage behind another building and has no mailing address. and that the company they use to receive donations is a generic company takeing 5% and that their are only 22 people listed on their facebook cause witch is their only fourum?and that their is almost no reality to this whole affair?and that many of the listed, few haveing a last name , are just poor hungry folks who dont give their first name?its a total sham. not a shot of his kids.no kids at all save one in one pick. in fact, none of their sites pics have more than 4 or 5 folks in them. anyone can smell poo.blow your nose if you need to. then try again. and do some reaserch.

GeneralLee10
12-02-2010, 12:43
I smell BS,

Seriously, after 1000 miles on the PCT he was rescued for blisters on his feet. Ha!, he has a lot more homework to do if he thinks he will make it through the AT with no blisters on his pretty little feet.

Another thing is a Seal does not give up, something he has done only after 1000 miles on the PCT, from blisters on his feet. From what I have read about the PCT, it does not compare to the AT in any way other than you walk. Now I could be wrong, if so please feel free to correct me on the PCT vs. AT.

Why should anyone give him money? Like it was stated in a previous post, he should have money. Heck, Pirate was a Seal correct?, did he ask for money to hike the AT? I'm sure he did not. And he did how many times?

He should have just hiked the AT and never even said anything.

If you are to poor to afford your hike, then stay home:D, it's that simple. Get a job and pay your bills so your kids and wife wont be the ones suffering.

vamelungeon
12-02-2010, 13:09
Veriseal says he may be a legitimate SEAL but are going to confirm it for sure.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 16:06
Veriseal says he may be a legitimate SEAL but are going to confirm it for sure.

:rolleyes:How long will it take, Vamelungeon?

Crazyhair come back. I’d like to see you challenge the record. You can get lots of good advice here so don’t stay mad.

In 6 hrs. you could be on the Ga. AT from your location. Do a 30-mile test run and see what you come up with. Springer to Neels Gap. You might run into Army Rangers from Camp Merrill who train in those same mtns. Get a little Army/Navy thing going?

Cookerhiker
12-02-2010, 16:49
Re fundraising, the only ones I've done - 50 mile walks for Multiple Sclerosis - required me to pay a fee to cover expenses of the event so all the money donated went directly to the MS Society. And I covered my expenses of getting to the event, although they were probably less than flying home from the AT for this guy.

But still, lots of us hike the AT and we all have to cover our own expenses as should he. The fact that he's attempting to set a record is immaterial. If you want to hike, you gotta pay. If you really honestly believe in and support the charity, then direct 100% of all proceeds to it and pay for the cost of the hike yourself which, as has been pointed out, is minimal given the short number of days on the Trail.

vamelungeon
12-02-2010, 16:58
OK, I made an error. Another organization, the POW Network (who also investigates/verifies people claiming to be veterans) told me that. I'm still waiting on Veriseal, and they can say for sure. I don't know how long it will take but probably not long.
http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm

Captain Blue
12-02-2010, 18:15
I believe the guy. I wish him the best of luck. Get off his case.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 18:21
I went into the Navy in 1987 and went dirctly to BUD/S class 155. I completed several years at SEAL Team 5 until I went back to BUD/S as an instructor for classes 200 to 208 of which I was the proctor. I got out in 1997.

The guy stated his BUD/S class.

Seal Team #5 units got called to Kuwait when Iraq invaded in 1990. Not sure Crazyhair was there but it doesn’t matter. He served.

BTW, Special Ops has the highest incidence of PTSD. If I were a former wartime SEAL, I’d run so far & fast in the mountains til my frickin feet blistered & dropped off…

Dude’s outfitter has gift cards. I’m getting him one.
http://www.outsidehiltonhead.com/

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 18:25
you say he searved? how you know?

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 18:30
it aint the dudes outfitter. they met him twice when he asked for gear. they gave him phone numbers of gear companies. they never met him before and he didnt mention anything millitary. when asked"are you sponsoring him?" the response was, "if he said it like that they would agree but havent givin him a thing. didnt know of any sites linked to them. so how do you say he searved with authority please?

max patch
12-02-2010, 18:55
it aint the dudes outfitter. they met him twice when he asked for gear. they gave him phone numbers of gear companies. they never met him before and he didnt mention anything millitary. when asked"are you sponsoring him?" the response was, "if he said it like that they would agree but havent givin him a thing. didnt know of any sites linked to them. so how do you say he searved with authority please?

On the Outside Hilton Head facebook page they say they are "proud to sponsor Mitchell Tennison" etc:

October 20 at 12:36pm ·

Outside Hilton Head

* Mark as Spam
* Report as Abuse

Outside Hilton Head Outside Hilton Head is proud to sponsor Mitchell Tennison in his effort to set a new record for an unassisted thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail! A primary goal of the hike is to raise money for 2 charities, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Sandalwood Food Pantry, a local charity for needy... families and individuals on Hilton Head. You can donate to these charities through the following web sites:
- http://www.missingkids.com/
- http://sandalwoodfoodbank.com/
You can also donate directly to Mitchell's efforts by sending a check or money order written out to Mitchell Tennison:
PO Box 23242 Hilton Head Island, SC. 29925

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 19:01
didnt say that yesterday.

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 19:03
what do you know of his truthfullness? nothing. or you would say.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 19:13
didnt say that yesterday.

True. Ya got me. Known a few effed up doorknobs from various wars and recognized something. Changed my mind.

Speaking of babe-a-licious, I saw a WB photo of you and it knocked me over. If I weren't married, I'd take you home with me & bring you up right.

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 19:17
where does it say anything at all, even a mention of him on their facebook. it dosnt. just looked. why do you lie?are you him? i think you are. anyone here know you personaly? dude. you made two false statements concerning him so far. lets see what your looking at please before i get weird.the " outfitter' is in a hotel it looks like.

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 19:22
im out. we got a sicko here. goodby. ill watch from a place with an air freashener. if yall need me im goin to look for the sword thread. even closed, its a better read.man!

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 19:23
On the Outside Hilton Head facebook page they say they are "proud to sponsor Mitchell Tennison" etc:

October 20 at 12:36pm ·

Outside Hilton Head

* Mark as Spam
* Report as Abuse

Outside Hilton Head Outside Hilton Head is proud to sponsor Mitchell Tennison in his effort to set a new record for an unassisted thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail! A primary goal of the hike is to raise money for 2 charities, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Sandalwood Food Pantry, a local charity for needy... families and individuals on Hilton Head. You can donate to these charities through the following web sites:
- http://www.missingkids.com/
- http://sandalwoodfoodbank.com/
You can also donate directly to Mitchell's efforts by sending a check or money order written out to Mitchell Tennison:
PO Box 23242 Hilton Head Island, SC. 29925

Yeah, Matthewski, I had a hard time finding it too but looky here :rolleyes:

E-mail me and let's weird out together :banana

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 19:26
before i go im doubleing down and going all in. mizirou , your him. duh. mili-rouz maby?

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 19:37
I might have another change of mind and go with The Saint.
WB is a mind altering experience lately . . .

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 19:47
well, i just read every post you have written. just sayin, you used military terms, are exstreemly adept at law enforcement site info, claim 3 locations east west and south, and have a mans point of veiw but are a woman. so im nuts. goodby. but your him. duh.

Crazyhair
12-02-2010, 21:05
When I saw the article I was excited and happy to show a few of my family and friends, but when I received an email from an unknown source telling me to look at this website, I was deeply saddened. I began this venture with the intention of raising awareness for two causes that served me once. I was gratefull for the help and could think of only one way to say thank you...to raise money for them. You're right, I am a poor marketer...but I didn't begin it to be a marketer. I began it with the hopes that just one child didn't have to endure what I endured. The rest just doesn't matter. I didn't want others to think that I had anything to do with any money so we set up completely separate websites. As of now, I haven't received any donations at all and I would ask that you please don't send any. I am no longer accepting donations for the hike. You may still donate to the two websites however. That option will also be taken off of my website as soon as I can. All I want to do is hike. I'm sorry for any hate and discontent that this may have caused. Happy hiking.

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 21:17
fold.new dealer.check change.

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 21:27
love to hear more .no? just fold and quit? why not shame me? just a shred of authenticity ?no? we have a winner!

matthewski one scammer
crazydude negetive one scam. u sir were never a seal.

Captain Blue
12-02-2010, 21:28
Crazyhair - Don't be intimidated by the bullies on this site. Most of them have no idea of what it takes to hike the entire AT. You will need all the physical strength and mental stamina that you can muster to do what you are setting out to accomplish. Raising money for you hike, either personal or charitable, is not a bad thing. Ignore the cyber-bashing - this is all it is. If could met the bashers face to face on the trail most of them would be very helpful and encouraging. The early winter months bring out the worst in people online.

Crazyhair
12-02-2010, 21:40
You help to put things into perspective for me. On another note, matthewski the naysayers will do their homework and when it discoverd that your bashing was needless and wrong...I doubt but I hope that you take a moment and reflect on how you feel. And that's when you'll realize that while you were washing the General's car and issuing boots I was doing the things that you dreamt of doing and that's the real reason for the hate.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 21:41
well, i just read every post you have written. just sayin, you used military terms, are exstreemly adept at law enforcement site info, claim 3 locations east west and south, and have a mans point of veiw but are a woman.

Awwww dang, another romantic image shattered: you’re a sexist. Although you’re a handsome & witty buck, logic isn’t your gig. Take it back, Matthewski.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 21:44
Happy hiking.

One of the hot topics here is underfunded hikers who mooch. Another is hiking for a self-serving cause. Hang around and you’ll understand why it evokes passionate responses.

Some of us jumped to wrong conclusions about you. I’m sorry for my part. Please forgive me. Glad you’re back. Can we start over?

Crazyhair
12-02-2010, 21:49
Of course. I never wanted any of this

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 21:55
wow. funny how no one knows him. no posts of support from friends. no proof of family. nothing but crazytalk. no defence offered. no evedence of a seals integrity or honor or abilitys. nothing to stand on at all but his own words. absolutly positivly silly attempt at scamming. so,..your rushing to remove the links to sites and charitys you had no permmision to use.and your humble and polite to the end. not offended? not mad? not gonna post a simple proof? sounds like someone got a call from veriseal. sounds like someones abbout to disapeer. sounds like alot of work went into this and your walking away. and the gear northface gave you? and the folks depending on your charitys?still gonna be working with the foodbank? bet not. there was no foodbank. their was no sponsor. their was no ability to set a speed hike record. nothing happened to you to make you kin to suffering. you live in hilton head. you scam folks. now you will move on. their is no wife or kids to brag about. just five failed marriges, judgements against you and tons of angry posts from women you divorsed. i have some on my phone. they were sent to me by a whiteblazer. all public record. no invasion of privacy. no slander here. you sir are as welcome to hike our trail as any. whether you get some help or not.its a freedom men die for to sustaine. learn that. get help. and then come hiking. we'll talk about your scamming years over a bowl of chilli. when your an honest man. not before.
as for your being a seal?

tell it to the marines. (chesty turns over in his grave)semper fi dude. some of us.

Mizirlou
12-02-2010, 22:06
Of course.

Thank you, Crazyhair. I hope to see you on the Trail. If you keep a trail journal, a lot of Trail Angels will probably pop up along your route.

Matthewski: you are loved but no bacon til you put on the hair shirt. Can you at least stand down until Veriseal verifies?

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 22:28
i offer him this. post your name and military exsperience again. im thinking you were warned not to. or are smart enough to know that any further posts of that sort would be your ruin. post a pic of you in uniform. post that and ill belive .

4eyedbuzzard
12-03-2010, 00:25
Another "I'm hiking for charity" hike, combined with another "AT speed record attempt". And all the usual responses. Wake me when it's over.

The_Saint
12-03-2010, 00:37
love to hear more .no? just fold and quit? why not shame me? just a shred of authenticity ?no? we have a winner!

matthewski one scammer
crazydude negetive one scam. u sir were never a seal.

Seriously, you are a freaking loser. How much time, money and energy have you devoted to this? Get your ass off your computer and go for a hike, it might do you some good. With how much time you spend on this site, I doubt you're even a hiker. I spent 5 minutes reading the thread and I can't believe that you would spend some much time on something so insignificant.

You, sir, are literally the definition of a cyber troll. Due to lack of grammar, spelling and punctuation, I can't even read most of your posts.

Johnny Thunder
12-03-2010, 01:21
matty's asleep. don't worry, he'll wake up at nautical dawn and respond to your concerns.

stranger
12-04-2010, 11:50
Crazyhair, although I do disagree with the notion of raising personal donations for such a endeavor, I do think the level of abuse that has gone into this thread is unreasonable and unfair and is largely not about your hiking plans.

I think it's cowardly to dig up dirt on others and publish it online, especially when you don't have to face that person. If your goals are the same as they were when you decided to do this, in the manner you wanted to do it, then I wouldn't necessarily change your plans, and dare I say funding, based on this thread. People can disagree on things, that's cool...many people on this site can't understand that for some reason. I apologize if my two previous posts contributed to this attack on you, however I do still hold those views.

I wouldn't be troubled by too many of these posts, however keep in mind there is some good information here, particulary about starting a speed hike in April, for example.

In any case, good luck on your hike and I hope you are able to achieve what you want to achieve, even if others, including me, disagree with some of your methods or choices.

stranger
12-04-2010, 11:56
How long have you been smoking crack? :confused:

4eyedbuzzard
12-04-2010, 14:23
How long have you been smoking crack? :confused:
I don't know Matty personally, but something tells me crack ain't the issue. It's all okay though. Soon this thread, like all others (with the exception of one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34922)), will pass into the oblivion of the digital memory hole.

weary
12-04-2010, 15:18
Appalachian Trail records are by their nature a nebulous thing. A lot of people attempt them or claim to be planning to set them. Most seem to disappear quite quickly. A few confess to failure. A few claim a record of some sort.

The problem with all this is that no official body even keeps a record of the claims. No group checks the accuracy of the claims.

A record is what ever the claimant and his friends claim or believe. I met the three people attempting records of sort in 1991. Two stopped to chat with me and my 9-year-old grandson. The one who claimed "victory" whizzed on by without a word,

The claimant who stands out best in my memory is Ward Leonard, mostly because he was impressed with my grandson, who persisted in asking questions that Ward didn't want to answer. But Ward struck me as fundamentally honest. So when I hear that he tells of hiking the trail unassisted in 60 + days I believe him. I spent 40 years earning my living asking questions of people. I developed an instinct for separating phony claims from truth.

This is a long way of saying I have doubts about Mitchell Tennison. Matty has raised legitimate questions. Legitimate potential record claimants should answer his questions, if only because being open to legitimate questions is the only way for potential record claimants to be believed once they reach Katahdin.

Not that it matters much. The trail provides great benefits to those who just hike it for the enjoyment of doing so. Very little enjoyment to those who hike it just to prove they could, right alone set a record. The 1991 record setter once told an interviewer that he still woke up with nightmares from the ordeal.

Weary

Slo-go'en
12-04-2010, 16:21
I don't think Ward really set out to set any records. Ward didn't interact with other people well. As a result, by that time he had been banded from every hostel and not welcome in many trail towns. Therefore, he had no reason to linger anywhere and just keept hiking.

Only time will tell wether or not this guy Mitch aka Crazyhair can beat or even come close to Ward's record. However, with an April 1st start date and apparently little experiance hiking the AT, the odds are seriously against him.

I often wonder if people who think they can beat the record do the math. 2175 miles/ 60 days = 36.25 miles per day at 2.5 mph = 14.5 hours of hiking every day for 60 days to even equal the record. You need to be in extordinary shape and a bit nuts to keep that pace up for that long, especially through New England - in May during the rainy/high water/mud/black fly season. Good luck!

Lone Wolf
12-04-2010, 22:02
I don't think Ward really set out to set any records. Ward didn't interact with other people well. As a result, by that time he had been banded from every hostel and not welcome in many trail towns. Therefore, he had no reason to linger anywhere and just keept hiking.

do you know ward? have you ever met him?

mweinstone
12-04-2010, 22:26
i dont bragg about my AT record. my friends are all aware of it. i hold a place in the record books so to speak. it aint speed or distance or ice cream. but its mine and i never have to boast cause its well known. nobody will ever try to break my record but then its entirely possible it will be broken one day. but that day is not today. my record is secure. hidden from the publics eye mostly,...but if asked, i can say, yeah, i did that. its for me. not anyone else. next time i start from my beloved chicken coop, ammacalola shelter,...i may add to my own record. or i may choose not to. its mine and i keep it close to my breast. ive never been challenged and hope nobodys foolish enough to. nun the less,i hold an appalachian trail record . at least i belive i do. maby theirs another who has me beat? maby not. dont matter. i did what i did and im fine with it. me and the trail have had long talks about it, the trail has promissed me one day my record will be a wonderfull memory. and untill then, i live the life of a record holder. witch aint no diferent from any non record holder. just my two cents.

stranger
12-05-2010, 00:58
I think alot of people know "of" Ward, and very few people seem to have met him. I actually met him and didn't realize who he was until a couple years later, so it was kinda interesting. I still remember what he said to me, and the other person who was there...I found his words very unique and incredibly direct, I feel lucky to have met him.

I think there are alot of rumors out there about Ward, I don't pay them any mind. A good friend of mind hiked on and off with Ward in 1994 and had nothing negative to say about him, in fact he said he learned alot from him, he later went on to thru-hike the AT in 1995 and PCT in 1996.

The reason why Ward set the record is not due to being banned from hostels and rubbish like that, I can't see someone like Ward frequenting hostels anyway. Ward set those records because he's probably the closest thing any of use will ever see to a perfect, natural hiker, and he was a pioneer, long before the internet, sponsors, podcasts and personal websites.

He also hiked the AT 3 times in one 12 month period, another record.

weary
12-05-2010, 11:17
I think alot of people know "of" Ward, and very few people seem to have met him. I actually met him and didn't realize who he was until a couple years later, so it was kinda interesting. I still remember what he said to me, and the other person who was there...I found his words very unique and incredibly direct, I feel lucky to have met him.

I think there are alot of rumors out there about Ward, I don't pay them any mind. A good friend of mind hiked on and off with Ward in 1994 and had nothing negative to say about him, in fact he said he learned alot from him, he later went on to thru-hike the AT in 1995 and PCT in 1996.

The reason why Ward set the record is not due to being banned from hostels and rubbish like that, I can't see someone like Ward frequenting hostels anyway. Ward set those records because he's probably the closest thing any of use will ever see to a perfect, natural hiker, and he was a pioneer, long before the internet, sponsors, podcasts and personal websites.

He also hiked the AT 3 times in one 12 month period, another record.
Rumors abounded in 1991 warning hikers to keep away from Ward Leonard. I and my 9 year old grandson who was walking the trail in Maine with me that year finally met Ward twice in the 100-mile-wilderness -- once on his second approach to Katahdin, and again after he left Katahdin for the walk south for what I think would have been his fourth thru hike of the year.

The talk of the trail was that Ward was critical of other hikers and very blunt and obnoxious in his comments.

I asked him if he thought he would make it all the way south. "I don't know," he said. "I have financial and emotional problems."

Then he demanded is "that kid is your grandson?"

"Yup," I said.

"Good," Ward said. "He's the first person I've met on this trail who is bright enough for me to talk to."

Yes. I've told this story before, but it seemed apropos to Stranger's comments.

Slo-go'en
12-05-2010, 12:20
do you know ward? have you ever met him?

Yes, I meet him once at a shelter I was stopped at for lunch. He came in, looked at me and another guy who was there, then said "your not thru hikers, your gear isn't dirty enough" and stormed off.

I was on and off the trail a lot in the late 80's when Ward was active and there were many stories about him going around.

slow
12-05-2010, 22:27
Ward was on meds...so he dont count.

stranger
12-05-2010, 22:30
So Weary...not sure if your post is meant to suppliment mine or counter it, or neither, however I know there are people out there who fear people like Ward Leonard.

I don't, I am not afraid of mental illness, I am educated around it and understand it. Mental illness is no big deal, one could easily argue things like occaisional depression, lack of confidence, and insecurities are all forms of mental illness. Mental illness doesn't mean you are dangerous.

I don't think Ward telling a couple hikers their gear isn't dirty enough to be thru-hikes is a threat, if anything its funny. It's certainly in line with some of the stories I've heard from my friend I talked about in my earlier post.

When I met Ward he asked me what my father did, I told him he was a cop, and Ward said "that's interesting cause you seem pretty well adjusted for the son of a cop" and I also remember one guy who was standing their extending his hand and Ward saying, "I don't shake hands with social workers"...I remember this very clearly, and also remember how hard I laughed afterwards.

And I think we need to remember what Ward is to us in this context, a hiker, not a close friend, not a boss, brother, partner, husband...but another hiker. It's not our part to criticism him for something he cannot control, even if that thing makes YOU uncomfortable...that's your problem.

I will reiterate my point...Ward is probably the closest thing we will ever see to a perfect, natural hiker. Key word...hiker. And that is how he should be considered, he should not be judged by something he cannot control.

The shame in all this is how much experience this guy has, his amazing accomplishments, and the lack of information about him, his hikes, and his methods. I would love to see a presentation by him, or read a book, or an article, I hope one day this happens.

weary
12-06-2010, 01:22
So Weary...not sure if your post is meant to suppliment mine or counter it, or neither, however I know there are people out there who fear people like Ward Leonard.

I don't, I am not afraid of mental illness, I am educated around it and understand it. Mental illness is no big deal, one could easily argue things like occaisional depression, lack of confidence, and insecurities are all forms of mental illness. Mental illness doesn't mean you are dangerous.

I don't think Ward telling a couple hikers their gear isn't dirty enough to be thru-hikes is a threat, if anything its funny. It's certainly in line with some of the stories I've heard from my friend I talked about in my earlier post.

When I met Ward he asked me what my father did, I told him he was a cop, and Ward said "that's interesting cause you seem pretty well adjusted for the son of a cop" and I also remember one guy who was standing their extending his hand and Ward saying, "I don't shake hands with social workers"...I remember this very clearly, and also remember how hard I laughed afterwards.

And I think we need to remember what Ward is to us in this context, a hiker, not a close friend, not a boss, brother, partner, husband...but another hiker. It's not our part to criticism him for something he cannot control, even if that thing makes YOU uncomfortable...that's your problem.

I will reiterate my point...Ward is probably the closest thing we will ever see to a perfect, natural hiker. Key word...hiker. And that is how he should be considered, he should not be judged by something he cannot control.

The shame in all this is how much experience this guy has, his amazing accomplishments, and the lack of information about him, his hikes, and his methods. I would love to see a presentation by him, or read a book, or an article, I hope one day this happens.
My post was simply to present another bit of information about Ward, whose mind functions somewhat differently than the way most of our minds function.

Personally, I found your comments quite insightful and I'm glad you posted them.

I probably should have expanded my comments a bit. My grandson is extremely bright, but he had to struggle for years before he was able to read with any ease.

He insisted on talking with Ward, because talking and asking questions at that time was his only way of communicating with others and gaining knowledge. His persistent questions became something of a legend among the hikers we met during that month on the trail in Maine, both before and after we met Ward Leonard and the others out to set records that year.

Ward sensed that my grandson also had a special need. I suspect some others thought he was just a nuisance.

stranger
12-06-2010, 03:27
I apprecaite your post and comments as well Weary.

People fear what they don't understand...hence the feelings about Ward by many hikers who have met him, as for those who never did...you missed out on meeting arguably the greatest hiker the AT has ever seen.

nitewalker
12-06-2010, 08:10
Cyber-bullying "involves the use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group, that is intended to harm others."[1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#cite_note-0)

someone needs to knock this sheet off and grow up!!!!!!

vamelungeon
12-06-2010, 13:16
I received a reply to my inquiry. I'll quote the pertinent part:
"There is, indeed, an entry in the SEAL Database (SEAL Teams and predecessor units from1943 to the Present Day) for the name Mitchell Tennison, however I am unable to provide any verification of the duration of his service or the nature of his specific duty assignments (sniper, instructor, etc) during the time that he served with the Teams."
"Respectfully,

Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)

USN 1970-1978

SEAL Team ONE

Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE

Defense Analyst – Soviet Threat specialization 1981-1993

UDT-SEAL Association - Member

POW Network Board of Directors

Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist

Disabled American Veterans - Life Member

FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team

CyberSEALs.org (http://www.cyberseals.org/) - Webmaster"

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2010, 13:43
1) Ex seal - check.
2) Odds are he (or anyone else in any given attempt) won't break a record - check.
3) Wondering about the next direction this thread will now take :-? :confused:

mweinstone
12-06-2010, 14:00
means nothing. no proof the man isnt an imposter.i sugest you think about how easy and how prevelent false claims of being a seal are. and how easily the man posting that he was one may be useing anothers identity. in fact, it is entirely possible if this is a faker, we will hear of it in the future. records cant be divulged further but if charges are brought against such a one, then they will be made public on the seal sites. so this only means there is such a seal somewhere with this name. common sence dictates patience. when we see or hear things suspicious, we are requested to bring such matters to the proper authoritys witch has been done. this is the focus of lots of public ad campaigns around the country, that we not be complacent when suspicious. i feel good about my part. looking at his pic, i doubt he is a seal strongly. a face can tell alot about a one. this man wrote the book on stolen valor and if their are falsehoods, he will find them. may we wait and see what happens next? or must we be so sure of him from this?in my opinion, this is the opening act of what may be a play about a player. and if he is a seal, i have said, i will appologize. but not for being suspicious, for being wrong. anyone who belives this is a proof of this hikers id, is jumping to conclutions. no? yes?

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2010, 14:05
Matty,
Give it a rest (for your own sake). You've made your point - you don't believe him. Several times. You're getting way too worked up over all this. Obsession ain't a healthy thing. ;)

max patch
12-06-2010, 14:13
Weinstone owes Mr. Tennison a public apology.

The mods who didn't shut this thread down when Weinstone made his unsubstantiated allegations owe Mr. Tennison a public apology.

Troll as owner owes Mr. Tennison a public apology.

mweinstone
12-06-2010, 14:17
not obseesed. one last question. if it turns out im correct, am i still a jerk? or whatever some have proposed i am? or am i right but went about it wrong? do you do this sort of thing quietly? pointing fingers i mean. or do i get any thanx?or not?

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2010, 14:24
not obseesed. not obsessed - check.
one last question. if it turns out im correct, am i still a jerk?serving up grapefruits today? :D [jk]
or whatever some have proposed i am?You're unique.
or am i right but went about it wrong? do you do this sort of thing quietly? pointing fingers i mean. or do i get any thanx?or not?Even if you're right, it turned out wrong :(

Mizirlou
12-06-2010, 14:40

The mods who didn't shut this thread down when Weinstone made his unsubstantiated allegations owe Mr. Tennison a public apology.

Recall the accusations Matthewski made about this poor man:
RE: Missing hiker on the Summit Trail of Allegany State Park on this thread
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66577
The Mod removed his unsubstantiated allegations.

Now stop it, Matthewski. You sound like a Trail groupie whose desperate quirkiness panders to the select few: your "in crowd.“ If you wish to appear as a Trail Legend, you’re not succeeding. Attacking fellow posters who call you out on your bad behavior isn’t right either. Not cool. Max Patch is correct.

Man up, Matthewski.

Mizirlou
12-06-2010, 14:44
I received a reply to my inquiry. I'll quote the pertinent part:
"There is, indeed, an entry in the SEAL Database (SEAL Teams and predecessor units from1943 to the Present Day) for the name Mitchell Tennison...

Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)

:)His SEAL record has been verified.

:)His 2 charities are legitimate charitable organizations with 501(c)(3) nonfprofit status, per IRS
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96136,00.html

:)His sponsorship was confirmed by Outside Hilton Head’s Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/outsidehiltonhead

Now what will White Blazers do to encourage our fellow hiker Crazyhair?

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2010, 15:57
:)His SEAL record has been verified.

:)His 2 charities are legitimate charitable organizations with 501(c)(3) nonfprofit status, per IRS
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96136,00.html

:)His sponsorship was confirmed by Outside Hilton Head’s Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/outsidehiltonhead

Just another person that wants to hike from GA to ME to me. I don't do pom-poms or donate to walkathons, so all I can do is wish him good luck and happy hiking. I don't agree with hiking for charity and/or sponsorship stuff. But I do sincerely hope he enjoys his hike.

the goat
12-06-2010, 16:15

to crazyhair & all other 2011 potential thru hikers:

best of luck and enjoy every minute of your hike, regardless of how far it takes you.

jersey joe
12-06-2010, 17:26
Crazyhair, are you planning on keeping a journal along the way and posting it somewhere so we could follow your progress?

Mizirlou
12-06-2010, 18:16
Man up, Matthewski.

:rolleyes: uh huh

Alligator
12-06-2010, 23:44

Troll as owner owes Mr. Tennison a public apology.Mr. Tennison,

I apologize for letting this thread detour for so long. Initially, when there was a question of your record, I looked into how one might find verification of being a Navy SEAL. I found that there were several sites which may provide this verification. Those sites provide lengthy descriptions about how many people falsely claim SEAL status. Since there were several sites and it was considered particularly egregious by SEALs themselves, I was waiting to hear back from the site I wrote, as well as I asked vamelungeon to provide an update if possible. I had to balance your statement of being a SEAL vs. the possibility that there could be a misrepresented fundraising attempt.

Thank you for your service and I wish you good fortune in your attempt.

Sincerely,
Alligator

Cookerhiker
12-07-2010, 09:12
....Now what will White Blazers do to encourage our fellow hiker Crazyhair?

Crazy Hair:

I hope you're able to hike the entire AT safely without injury or mishap:
I hope you enjoy your hike, finding the AT an enriching experience;
I hope you meet great people along the way including Trail Angels;
I hope your charities receive a nice infusion of donations resulting from your hike.

Crazyhair, are you planning on keeping a journal along the way and posting it somewhere so we could follow your progress?

That would be interesting but how in the world could he have the time with his planned schedule, especially since his hike is "unsupported?" Guess I'm not sure what constitutes "unsupported" - if someone at home can take his phone calls and post his progress, that's "support" of a sort.

Johnny Thunder
12-07-2010, 09:46
...especially since his hike is "unsupported?" Guess I'm not sure what constitutes "unsupported" - if someone at home can take his phone calls and post his progress, that's "support" of a sort.

i agree. though i think we can all reasonably imagine "unsupported" to mean, "not followed by a supply van stocked with pizza and masseurs." i did initially take exception to his saying that he was going to do it "unassisted" which i think is a rather large over-site on his part. on a day-to-day basis the whole world is steve nash to each and every one of us. no man is an island. especially not one standing on the side of the road in the rain with his thumb out.

jersey joe
12-07-2010, 09:49
That would be interesting but how in the world could he have the time with his planned schedule, especially since his hike is "unsupported?" Guess I'm not sure what constitutes "unsupported" - if someone at home can take his phone calls and post his progress, that's "support" of a sort.
There is always time. Galilee man kept a fairly regular update on his unsupported hike. I think he took some sort of electronic device to do this. I'm not talking about anything in crazy detail, just updates, where, how far, injury status, etc.

Mizirlou
12-07-2010, 09:51

Crazyhair, I’m volunteering to maintain your TrailJournal. Contact me by WhiteBlaze e-mail if you want to take me up on it.

Today I made a donation today to your charity. There was a box “In Honor Of” where I entered your name.
www.sandalwoodfoodbank.com/ (http://www.sandalwoodfoodbank.com/)

Sly
12-07-2010, 11:07
Hey, now that sounds interesting.
I'm tempted to join up.

But this guy is attempting an unsupported hike.

Yeah, sorry for the hijack. Still, why not a seniors record for the AT. The have them in the marathon

Sly
12-07-2010, 11:11
Why does this guy need donations? He's attempting a unsupported record break of the AT....

Well, it is ironic, he's attempting an unsupported record and the 1st thing he's asking for is support. :rolleyes:

Crazyhair
12-07-2010, 11:20
First I would like to thank you for your positive support. I know all too well how difficult it can be to accept claims at face value, especially when we have germinated a generation of people (including myself) to be skeptical and less trusting than in generations past. I looked you up through whiteblaze but there was no email attached to your profile, but then again I'll be the first to admit that I'm not as computer savvy as I'd like to be. I hope you understand that at this time I'm a little weary about plastering my email address on this thread so if you don't mind...I believe my email can be found through Whiteblaze.

There has been much discussion about my timing for the hike as well as my training methods but before I go any farther I would like to let Matthewski know that I didn't know he held an AT record and that in no way am I attempting to lower his standing on the AT totem pole. We all hike for our own reasons and I have mine. In the end, it doesn't matter if I shatter a record. What matters is that I stay true to the reasons (internal or external) for which I hike.

A claim was made about me not doing the math. I can assure you that while I'm training for hours on end it's the one thing that fills my head. Most hikers can cover 2.5 miles (including breaks) which they will take every couple of hours. I'm averaging 3 miles per hour (including breaks) and when it's a little chilly out will only need to stop once before dinner time at five o'clock or so. Even if I start late (7:am) that gives me 10 hours which equates to 30 miles and twilight on April 1 is at 8:21pm. So even with an hour to cook a hot meal I'm still left with two hours of enough light to hike by, which equates to 36 miles a day. I know that there are many things that can slow me down but I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst, which brings me to the start date of April 1. This year was predicted to be light on snowfall. I know that it's just a prediction but that's what I have to go on. When it's cold I can move as quickly as my little legs can carry me but when the temperature gets much above 65 degrees I need to carry more water weight which slows me down and the simple fact that my body heats to a sweat will cause me to slow even more and require more breaks to replenish the lost minerals through perspiration. If the snow is too ridiculous I can always push the start date back a few weeks to give it a chance to break. Afterall, it's my hike.

Yes, it's true that my training is pretty much flat and that is unfortunate since the trail more or less meanders along the mountain tops which causes you to gain and lose lots of elevation throughout the day, but living where the nearest uphill or downhill grade is hundreds of miles away it isn't feasible for me to move to the hills for the next several months so I can train. Matthewski will like this phrase...I'm improvising, adapting and overcoming.

Lastly, in my years of hiking I've learned much from more experienced hikers. I've met friendly hikers and less than friendly hikers but I've never met a fellow hiker that I simply didn't like. I've always viewed us as a club that anybody could feel accepted in. Afterall, I would gladly discard the record attempt if I found a hiker in trouble along the trail, as I'm sure all of you would too. There is a documentary available through Netflix called The Endurance. It's a perfect example of a man putting the safety and security of his men before his own personal desire to cross the Arctic Circle. It's a great clip that all should see.

Mizirlou
12-07-2010, 11:24
:rolleyes:Sly, he's past that:

when I received an email from an unknown source telling me to look at this website, I was deeply saddened...You're right, I am a poor marketer...I am no longer accepting donations for the hike...All I want to do is hike...Happy hiking.

People are supposed to come to White Blaze for hiking support.:-?

Lone Wolf
12-07-2010, 11:40
I would like to let Matthewski know that I didn't know he held an AT record and that in no way am I attempting to lower his standing on the AT totem pole.

he thinks he holds the the record for most AT starts with 0 finishes but i got him beat

Sly
12-07-2010, 11:53

I'll agree Matty owes an apology but as a 1st amendment rights advocate neither do the mods or troll. If Matty wants to look like a fool, that's his choice.

Lone Wolf
12-07-2010, 11:56
I'll agree Matty owes an apology but as a 1st amendment rights advocate neither do the mods or troll. If Matty wants to look like a fool, that's his choice.

the 1st amendment doesn't apply to websites

Sly
12-07-2010, 12:03
:rolleyes:Sly, he's past that:

People are supposed to come to White Blaze for hiking support.:-?

Yeah, well I started the thread from the beginning and commented as I went along.

Crazyhair, Matty doesn't hold any type of hiking record that matters. If he does have one, it's in his own mind.

You'll find you'll get much more support once you're on the trail and have a few hundred miles under your belt.

Best of luck on your endeavor.

Sly
12-07-2010, 12:06
the 1st amendment doesn't apply to websites

It can if the owner chooses. It's generally the members that can't stand the heat, talk of politics etc. and cry to the mods, therefore the editing.

Anyway, my point was neither the mods or Troll owe Crazyhair an apology for Matty's behavior.

Mizirlou
12-07-2010, 12:12
Yeah, well I started the thread from the beginning and commented as I went along.

Crazyhair, Matty doesn't hold any type of hiking record that matters. If he does have one, it's in his own mind.

Dig it. Same here, Sly, commented as I went along.

I thought Weinstone’s record was rolling the biggest blunt on the AT. Apt surname. :cool:

Crazyhair, e-mail sent.

Sly
12-07-2010, 12:13
here's a link to the Facebook article...

http://www.facebook.com/hikertrash1#!/photo.php?fbid=441218700377&set=a.99923870377.99866.60175880377

Slo-go'en
12-07-2010, 13:21
CrazyHair,

Your web site didn't give us a good indication if you really had a shot at this or if you were just another want-a-be. Hence the skepticisim, though Matthewski does go to the extrem in that regard.

It now sounds like your going into this with your eyes open and have put more thought into it then was first apparent. If I may, a few additional points which may or may not of crossed your mind (or others thinking of trying the same thing)

o. Although you need to average 36 or so miles a day, there are times when you will have to do a lot more than that to make up for low milage days, which will occur.

o. Maintaining high milage days through NH and ME is extremly difficult. You will be lucky to keep a 2 mph pace and 20 mile days for most of these two states. Therefore, have lots of miles stored up in the bank by then (by doing a lot of 50 mile days in the "easy" mid atlantic states).

o. I concure that hiking when its cool and/or raining out is a lot better than when its hot and humid, which slows me down to a crowl. However, I still belive an April 1st start is a bit too early. A May 1st start will give you somewhat warmer days, but still reasonably cool, which would allow you to lighten the pack at least a little.

But more importantly, you would have more daylight and although hiking through NH and ME in mid/late June still isn't the best time of year to do so, it would be a whole lot better than in May, when the trails are still knee deep in mud and river fords are up to your chest.

In any event, good luck and please post a report when your done, win or fail. Way too often we hear about people planing these attempts, but there is never a follow up. Your chances of setting a new record are still pretty slim, but that's no reason not to try. Also, if it becomes apparent there is no way you can set a record, or even come close, slow down and enjoy the trail for however much time and/or money you have left.

Now its time for me to shovel the driveway for the 3d time since Saturday. I think we're going to get a lot more snow this winter than the Old Farmers Almanac thought we would..

Mizirlou
12-07-2010, 15:37
do i get any thanx?

:sun YES.

Never met Matthewski. Something about you tells me you're an extraordinarily good-hearted guy. Yeah, I’m changing my mind again just like I did about Crazyhair. And I was right then, too.

Matthewski man, I love you in absentia. It’s all gonna work out.

Happy hiking to all.

Mags
12-07-2010, 16:11

Bingo. WE all have our big boy pants on. :D

rickb
12-07-2010, 19:43
At the time, Tennison began going out on the vast, varied Pacific Crest Trail, which he describes as much more difficult than the AT. “You’ll have maybe 30 or 40 miles between water stops,” he says. “On the AT, you might experience a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a day. On the Pacific Crest, there are places you’ll have a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a mile. On your daily hike, you go from 8,000 feet from the desert floor into Idyllwild.”

I have only hiked very limited stretched of the PCT, but when it comes to banging out miles, would those who have hiked both agree with this characterization?

As for the hike itself, Tennison is leaving April 1, before the crowds, the heat and the bugs. Most thru-hikers and recreational hikers hit the AT at the end of April, so he figures the extra time should let him keep pace and cut down on distractions. He’s set up resupply points every 300 to 370 miles, where Francine will mail his supply packages. Frankly, he says, it’d be the perfect time to go, were it not for the bears.
“The only thing I could see slowing me down is that’s when the bears come out,” he says, with a fairly shocking matter-of-factness. “They’ve been out for about a month, and they’re hungry, and I’ve got a big bag full of food.”
Comfortingly, Tennison has a plan. “There’s a funny thing about bears. They’re familiar with antlers — they know they hurt, so they don’t go after deer with big antlers. You click your hiking poles together and they sound like antlers. Really, the only bears I’ve ever seen are running away as fast as they can.” Also effective: simple pepper spray. “A bear’s nose is 100 times more sensitive than a bloodhound’s, so if you hit him, he’ll be down for an hour and a half.”

I would recommend not giving to much thought to bears, and suggest you leave the pepper spray behind. Better carry an extra candy bar.

Best of luck.

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2010, 20:49
Actually, Rick, I would NOT agree with the statement you quoted.

Most thru-hikers do NOT hit the Trail at the end of April (at least 95% of Northbound thru-hikers are out there well before this) and like Rick says, I don't think bears will be a factor in Mr. Tennison's hike, any more than they're a significant factor in anyone else's.

Also, supported or unsupported, there's no need to re-supply "every 300 to 370 miles").

There are enough places on or close to the Trail to re-supply (especially down South) so there's simple no need to carry this much food weight and I think it'll serioulsy hurt this guy's chances of success if he packs this much. He needs to get as far as he can as fast as he can, and he won't be doing this by resupplying every 370 miles.

stranger
12-07-2010, 22:58
Bears are a non-issue here, you are only going to encounter bears while in camp most likely, and if you do see bears while walking, they will usually bolt into the woods running. You need to be thinking about things like Lyme Disease, tendonitis, blisters, shin splints and stress fractures...not bears.

Leaving April first is a mistake, leaving in early April means potentially dealing with snow (certainly deep mud) on both ends of the hike. Leaving 6 weeks later means no snow, probably no cold, and endless daylight. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't understand the logic, smack dead in the middle of thru-hiker season, voluntarily putting yourself in a position to be disadvantaged...didn't both Maniak and Horton leave in May?

If it were me I would leave May 15th going nobo, and would walk from Springer to Neels Gap in one day a few times before committing to this. Alot changes once out on the trail.

Good luck man, I will be following your trip as well. You might want to read Weathercarrots article about hiking on the cheap, some good info on there.

weary
12-08-2010, 00:03

Most thru-hikers do NOT hit the Trail at the end of April (at least 95% of Northbound thru-hikers are out there well before this) and like Rick says, I don't think bears will be a factor in Mr. Tennison's hike, any more than they're a significant factor in anyone else's.

Also, supported or unsupported, there's no need to re-supply "every 300 to 370 miles").

There are enough places on or close to the Trail to re-supply (especially down South) so there's simple no need to carry this much food weight and I think it'll serioulsy hurt this guy's chances of success if he packs this much. He needs to get as far as he can as fast as he can, and he won't be doing this by resupplying every 370 miles.
Jack, of course is right. Tennison seems to know nothing about the trail. And a lot he thinks he knows is wrong. Unless he wises up quickly, I would say he has zero chance of setting a record.

I've figured from the beginning that May 15 would be the most logical start date. It escapes most of the mud and snow, and the peak heat of summer. The shelters and hostels are more likely to be free of crowds.

ec.hiker
12-08-2010, 00:08
I might have missed it I went over it three times but his article spoke of two different ways to donate neither being to help him on his at hike. Says he was sponsored by a local supply shop. I for one hope he raises money for his cause I am sure there are people out there committed to giving a dime a mile or something like that. Can't blame the guy for trying to do somehting like this in my opinion.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2010, 00:11
-----------------------------

I think Rick was quoting the newspaper article, which got it completely backwards. I haven't been on the PCT yet, but my understanding is that it is a lot easier hiking then the AT.

Given the need to average 36 miles a day, in many sections of the AT, any given streach of 36 miles could mean 5,000 feet or more of elevation change. (except of course in the mid atlantic states, where it might only be 1000 feet)

On the PCT, you might go 30-40 miles without water supplies, on the AT you'll cross dozens in that distance.

Also, with 36 mile days, resupplying every 300 to 370 miles means about 10 days of food. Thats insane. Every 100 to 150 would be much more reasonable. There is a trade off between how often you drop into town which will slow you down and how much food to carry, which will also slow you down if you have too much. Five days max would seem to me to be about the best trade off.

Mags
12-08-2010, 00:18
I have only hiked very limited stretched of the PCT, but when it comes to banging out miles, would those who have hiked both agree with this characterization?

Wrote this comparison earlier...

Appalachian vs. Pacific Crest Trail

The PCT is open to both hikers and horses

More gradually graded, easier tread

Almost no shelters

Goes through more extreme environments

Longer days and miles between re-supplies

“Trail Culture” not as established, but it does exist

Due to the easier tread way and more gradual grade, tend to do more miles per day on the PCT than the AT

Narrower window of hiking. Can’t start much earlier than mid-late April or you will hit much snow in the High Sierras. Finish much past October 1st, and you will more than likely have a snowstorm in the Cascades. Reverse problems for south bounding (PCT SOBOs typically start in June)

Less people attempting to thru-hike the PCT per year than the AT

Higher completion rate of the PCT due to more experienced hikers on the PCT

Typically, if you did the AT in 6 mos, you will finish the PCT in 5 mos. If you did the AT in 5 mos, you will finish the PCT in 4 mos

Or to put it another way, you tend to do five miles per day more on your overall average on the PCT than the AT. A person who averaged 15-20 MPD on the AT will typically average 20-25 MPD on the PCT

Miles per day typically goes up after the High Sierra

Panzer1
12-08-2010, 00:25
well there's less reason to worry about bears in New Jersey because they killed 260 of them today.

Panzer

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2010, 00:57
for an unsupported speedhike attempt, would you need to carry 100% of your gear up and back down katahdin nobo or sobo?
what are some of the other no-nos that would change an unsupported speedhike, to a supported or assisted hike. i enjoy everybodys different opionions on WB,so what do you think?

Colter
12-08-2010, 02:07
On the AT, you might experience a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a day. On the Pacific Crest, there are places you’ll have a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a mile.

Many sources say the total elevation gain on the Appalachian Trail is about 480,000 feet. That would mean, on a 60 day hike, one would have to climb and descend an average of 8,000 feet a day. Every day.

Mr. Parkay once gave these figures:
AT total elevation gain: 490,694 feet
PCT total elevation gain: 546,880 feet

If the AT is 2,174 miles long, that's about 226 vertical feet per mile.
If the PCT is 2,650 miles long, that's about 206 vertical feet per mile.

Marta
12-08-2010, 08:35
How can one take seriously a hike starting on April 1?

Just sayin'...

Lone Wolf
12-08-2010, 08:38
he needs to start in maine in august for any real chance

nitewalker
12-08-2010, 08:53

i always thought this would be the way to break the record or at least have the best chance..i would rather finish in the south with better trail footing and easier terrain than finish in the north with the knee buckling accents and decents. it will be easier to do bigger miles in the south at the end of the thru as opposed to trying to do big miles finishing in the north....just sayin!:D

Wilson
12-08-2010, 09:05
for an unsupported speedhike attempt, would you need to carry 100% of your gear up and back down katahdin nobo or sobo?
what are some of the other no-nos that would change an unsupported speedhike, to a supported or assisted hike. i enjoy everybodys different opionions on WB,so what do you think?
And the article says someone at home is mailing food drops to him...Is that unsupported?.....I don't know, but I doubt anyone was mailing food drops to Ward Leonard.

Mizirlou
12-08-2010, 10:43
climb aboard the sloop johnny t.
my at speedhike gear list.
a stuffsack backpack...probably similar to the ones outdoor research put out a few years back. rei has one out now i think.
1 pound 40 degree bag
8 ounce 5x9 tarp (stakes, plastic)
1 or 2 ounces of thin as heck ccf
no stove. a headlamp. a razor blade. garbage bag in the pack.
windshirt. wind pants. running tights/shirt
knit hat. pair of underwear. 2 pairs of socks.
1 liter water bladder. water drops.
t-shirt. shorts. socks. nike free's.
cell phone/charger. duct tape. pills. wad of twenties to flash at oncoming drivers to ensure quick and easy hitching into town.

that's about 5 pounds carried. lot's of nights in shelters...not many nights in town. up and hiking by 5:30 AM. sounds like fun.

discuss.

One obvious edge Crazyhair has is mental toughness (SEAL training.)

About mountain legs for a flatlander:
GA is closest to him so he could train from Woody Gap to Dicks Creek Gap, both trail heads easily accessible by car. Distance 47 miles. A month or so before his start date, if he does this route on 3 or 4 successive weeks he’ll have the musculoskeletal kinks worked out (total 141 to 188 miles.) Good training op here: Unicoi to Dicks has some of the “longest climbs & highest peaks of the AT in GA” -- words swiped from AT Guide (although it’s the obscure little Wildcat Mountain @ Tesnatee that always grinds me, maybe cuz of wasp attacks.)

Joints & muscles are one thing. It’s the little bones in the feet that take the longest to adjust (for me.) Small rocks, large rocks & uneven terrain spread those feet out like webs. A whole new architecture takes place.

Other stuff:
Leuko tape for blisters
Miconazole cream (rx. Monistat or Vagisil) for skin irritation/chafe spots
Go cookless
Cell phone for texting/calling in trail reports
Camera (documentation for the skeptics):eek:

weary
12-08-2010, 11:55
There are no rules for an unsupported speed hike, in part because there is no such thing as an "unsupported" speed hike -- or perhaps more accurately what consitutes an "unsupported" hike rests entirely in the mind of the person making the attempt. Questions: Does getting a ride into town for resupply mean support? Is the sending of a food package by mail by a spouse, relative, friend or other service provider support? What about mailing resupplies to the post office yourself prior to starting a speed hike? What about calling home for a missed piece of gear? Or replacement gear when the weather turns warm?

These are not hypotheticals. They are real problems faced by every hiker. Every little town seems to have a post office. That post office often is closer to the trail than the nearest store. By carefully planning and making judicious use of mail drops one could cut many hours off a speed record attempt. Of course, if your planning gets screwed up, you could also end up adding hours.

Okay, so getting to your question. I've never been able to figure out why anyone at anytime would carry a full pack up Katahdin and then back down Katahdin unless the pack was filled only by things needed on your walk up and back.

But a lot of people do so. So back to my earlier answer. You must do what ever your mind tells you that you need to do, no matter how irrational.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2010, 12:11
A claim was made about me not doing the math. I can assure you that while I'm training for hours on end it's the one thing that fills my head. Most hikers can cover 2.5 miles (including breaks) which they will take every couple of hours.
First off, most average hikers (not talking novices either) cannot average 2.5mph (trail miles) including breaks - 1.5mph is probably closer to the real average. A 2.5 mph average would be 20 miles in 8 hours and I know very few hikers that can do this. Yeah, there are some, but it's far above average. It's fast, and usually 20 year olds, thru-hiker speed. A better "average" rule of thumb is 2mph + 1hr per 1000' of elevation gain. Based on some data presented below (230 ft average elevation gain per mile) yields about 12 miles in 8 hours which is probably closer to most hiker's real world experiences. Thru-hikers and those in better shape can do more. Stretching this to actually hiking 14 hours per day yields 21 miles per day for an average. At that rate (21 mpd), a thru-hike would take 100 days or so - that's a really fast thru! Most thru-hikers take about 150 days (15 mpd), and we are not talking people who are out of shape by any means. Most probably hike about 10 hours per day, and do some 20 miles days in the easier sections. These folks are blowing by us weekend and section hikers by the time they hit VA - but even they would look at a 40 mile day and say "What, are you nuts? Might be able to do it once or twice in easier sections. Would definitely need a headlamp to hike at night"
I'm averaging 3 miles per hour (including breaks) and when it's a little chilly out will only need to stop once before dinner time at five o'clock or so. Even if I start late (7:am) that gives me 10 hours which equates to 30 miles and twilight on April 1 is at 8:21pm. So even with an hour to cook a hot meal I'm still left with two hours of enough light to hike by, which equates to 36 miles a day.
1) You're doing this on level ground with easy footing / foot placements
2) Civil twilight times don't equate to available hiking light. It gets light later and dark earlier in the woods and mountains. Actual sunrise to sunset would be the best to expect - and even that is optimistic at times in heavy woods / mountains due to the sun being blocked by trees or ridges depending upon location. Throw in cloud cover to further reduce this at times.

Yes, it's true that my training is pretty much flat and that is unfortunate since the trail more or less meanders along the mountain tops which causes you to gain and lose lots of elevation throughout the day, but living where the nearest uphill or downhill grade is hundreds of miles away it isn't feasible for me to move to the hills for the next several months so I can train.
Run stairs - with a loaded pack - find the tallest building available. Stairmaster and inclined treadmill might help as well. Find a dump with piles of dirt, rocks, concrete, whatever. Walking / hiking on flats is next to NOTHING in terms of hiking in the mountains.

Makes a whole lot of common sense, and comes from someone with a bit more experience in such matters than most (certainly me anyway). ;)

I think the August - October SOBO with a really good headlamp to rack up as many miles as possible when conditions are good, and the body is able and willing, is the most logical choice. Trail conditions and heat are the biggest issues. Puts him on the trail during the absolute best possible weather / trail conditions both traction wise and for someone who will be generating a lot of heat from physical exertion - through ME / NH / VT on dry trail with no snow / melt / mud / bug issues, avoids summer heat in mid-Atlantic, avoids possible late season snow in south (compared to spring NOBO start). The only possible negative is water availability in some areas prone to later season droughts, but he can get updates along the way and adjust what he's carrying though dryer sections.

The only other option that makes any sense would be to go NOBO and straddle the summer equinox to maxmize daylight hiking--er, running hours - but the daylight positive is the only one I see in all this. Start mid to late May NOBO, finish mid to late July. Maximizes available daylight hours and avoids late snow, but still brings issues of wet trail / mud / heat into play in the south, temps / humidity will be definitely be higher in the mid-Atlantic, mud still in VT in June. July in NH / ME should be okay by then.

On the AT, you might experience a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a day. On the Pacific Crest, there are places you’ll have a 1,000-foot elevation gain over the course of a mile.

Many sources say the total elevation gain on the Appalachian Trail is about 480,000 feet. That would mean, on a 60 day hike, one would have to climb and descend an average of 8,000 feet a day. Every day.

Sounds about right. The "filtered" AT cumulative gain is a bit over 500,000 using according to the folks at Topofusion http://www.topofusion.com/at-gps.php

Taking this to it's purely mathematical conclusion it's 500000 / 2175 = 230 vertical feet per mile average x 36.25 mpd = 8337 vertical feet per day. So the "work" (in a scientific sense) required is approximately equivalent to climbing Katadin (4237' vertical gain) twice from Daicy Pond (15.2 miles round trip to Baxter Peak). In fairness, it obviously doesn't represent an "average" hiking comparison, as any of us who have climbed Katahdin know. Terrain makes all the difference.

Crazyhair - this (terrain) is where all the training in the world or comparing mileage on easier terrain just goes out the window. Let's say for argument's sake you take LW's advice and go SOBO. The first 400 miles of the trail SOBO you will be lucky to average 25 mpd - hell, 20 mpd would be impressive. Western ME and NH are, in a word, difficult. It's steep going up AND down, foot placement has to be paid careful attention, etc. It's really easy to get injured trying to navigate many areas if you're in a hurry. All along the trail terrain and footing will come into play - rocks, roots, mud, leaves, steepness of the trail, etc, all slow you from optimal "flatland" or easy trail section speed.

Even if you get through ME and NH at 25 mpd, leaving NH, you now will have 44 days to cover 1775 miles = 40 mpd average. And there are other sections where you simply won't be able to do that (starting in VT likely). So there are days where terrain and conditions permit that you will simply have to do 50+ miles per day to make up for slower terrain / conditions and time lost to resupply efforts. I don't see any way of doing it without some night hiking. A really good (better than what most of us hikers carry) headlamp might be advisable.

And all this theoretical rambling is based on hiking those averages each and EVERY day AND having the weather cooperate. I forget who the thru-hiker was, but he was on a speed attempt NOBO, got to VT, looked at trail conditions / weather (VT was muddy as hell, which happens a lot) and packed it in. The math just didn't work - he knew he couldn't average the mpd needed through New England to set the record, not so much due to his ability, but just the prevailing weather / trail conditions.

Planning to arrive in New England in late May is just not smart planning. There will still be snow in the mountains, uncleared blowdowns, raging streams, mud, black flies - all the reasons SOBO's don't start until late June / July. For a record attempt, you really don't want to hit VT any earlier than mid-June (July would be even better) due to mud.

Anyway, just my crazy rambling thoughts on the subject. Good luck and have fun on your hike whatever you decide. :)

Mizirlou
12-08-2010, 13:00
When Bone Pac 2006 got the fire in his belly to beat Trek to the summit, he cranked it up with these high mileage days at the end:

Rainbow Stream to Baxter / 30.1 miles
East Branch to Rainbow Stream / 37.70 miles
Long Pond Stream to East Branch / 31.4 miles
Kennebec River to Monson / 33.8 miles
Horns Pond Lean-To to Kennebec River / 31.1 miles
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=142322

Not saying he raced the entire Trail, just saying what’s possible when you’ve got the fire.

Bone Pac’s hike: 117 Days with a fair amount of lollygagging.
http://www.trailjournals.com/stats.cfm?trailname=3478

He hiked to benefit his favorite nonprofit organization. Now operates the Free State Hiker hostel.
http://www.freestatehiker.com/

Cookerhiker
12-08-2010, 14:01
.....Anyway, just my crazy rambling thoughts on the subject...

On the contrary, I think you're right on. Crazy Hair, listen to this man.

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2010, 15:45
thanks WEARY for the response!
everyone says a SOBO speedhike would be easier? so should there be a record for sobo and nobo hikes? records are meant to be broken, but ward is still the man!
its easier once someone sets the bar. whos record did ward break?

the goat
12-08-2010, 16:50
First off, most average hikers (not talking novices either) cannot average 2.5mph (trail miles) including breaks - 1.5mph is probably closer to the real average.
not in my experience. i would 2.5 mph is pretty average.

A 2.5 mph average would be 20 miles in 8 hours and I know very few hikers that can do this. Yeah, there are some, but it's far above average. It's fast, and usually 20 year olds, thru-hiker speed.
i think most thru-hikers in good shape can do this.

once you're in really good shape, 3.5+ mph can be done through a lot of stretches.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2010, 17:40
not in my experience. i would 2.5 mph is pretty average.
So why then does the "average thru-hiker" (not just the "average hiker" who isn't in near the condition a thru-hiker is) take 150 days or so (ATC actually says 6 months) to thru-hike? If they hiked 6 days a week, and even only 8 hours a day of actual hiking, at 2.5 mph the average thru-hiker would, on average, finish in 126 days with 18 of those 126 being zeros - 108 actual hiking days. But they don't. 125 days / 4 months is much faster than average. And thru-hikers are in much better trail shape than "average" hikers.

i think most thru-hikers in good shape can do this [20 miles in 8 hours].
Most? I'd have to disagree. Most can't (or won't) except perhaps on easier terrain. Some can, but they're in the minority - certainly not "average".

once you're in really good shape, 3.5+ mph can be done through a lot of stretches. Okay, I'll somewhat buy that as that is brisk walking speed, at least for me. But it's a lot tougher to keep that pace on the trail - make that most of the trail. And there are a lot of stretches where 2mph is difficult to actually average even for most thru-hikers, especially towards either end of the trail. Hence, averages.

I think hiking speeds are sometimes a bit like golf scores. When asked, some people tend to think of theirs or other's best performances, not necessarily their true averages.

Mags
12-08-2010, 18:54
So why then does the "average thru-hiker" (not just the "average hiker" who isn't in near the condition a thru-hiker is) take 150 days or so (ATC actually says 6 months)

Because most party their rear-ends off in town. ;)

Being serious, many AT hikers tend to spend more in camp and in town then on other trails.

Less MPD due to less hiking as much as anything else.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2010, 19:18
I can still crank out 2.5 mph on the easier streaches of trail, but in VT, NH and ME, I'm definately back down to 1.5 mph or less.

One reason the average thru-hiker mph speed seems low is most hike shelter to shelter (or every other shelter when practical) and that sets the daily pace. If you want to hike every minute of available daylight, you will be camping somewhere between shelters (and alone) more often than not.

garlic08
12-08-2010, 19:43

These numbers are refuted by this source: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0406/excerpt2.html

They (NG) say the PCT average is only 118 feet per mile and the AT is nearly double at 218 feet per mile. I personally think NG's numbers are low, but have no data to prove that.

the goat
12-09-2010, 09:51
So why then does the "average thru-hiker" (not just the "average hiker" who isn't in near the condition a thru-hiker is) take 150 days or so (ATC actually says 6 months) to thru-hike? If they hiked 6 days a week, and even only 8 hours a day of actual hiking, at 2.5 mph the average thru-hiker would, on average, finish in 126 days with 18 of those 126 being zeros - 108 actual hiking days. But they don't. 125 days / 4 months is much faster than average. And thru-hikers are in much better trail shape than "average" hikers.

Because most party their rear-ends off in town. ;)

Being serious, many AT hikers tend to spend more in camp and in town then on other trails.

Less MPD due to less hiking as much as anything else.

question already answered by mags.

a thru hiker can hike at 3.5 mph, but spend a lot of time in camp, sleep in, get sucked into towns, take zeros in the woods, etc. because typically they're not trying to break any records, that's the difference.

jersey joe
12-09-2010, 10:19
I'd say, make an honest effort to hike the whole trail and carry your gear the whole way. Mail drops are OK and hitches into town are ok. Something like getting dropped 30 miles up the trail so you can hike reverse direction to avoid elevation gain is not ok.

weary
12-09-2010, 12:26
All of us who walk the Appalachian Trail are supported. By the 30 maintaining clubs. By 8,000 volunteers that keep the trail free of brush and blowdowns each year. By the summer work crews that converge from around the nation to do more difficult maintenance chores. By the taxpayers who stepped up and bought the trail corridor and kept the trail a continuous 2,175 mile foothpath. By ATC, which keeps the whole thing coordinated. By the U.S. Forest Service and especially the National Park Service. By the states which allow their parks and forests to be used by the trail. By Percival Baxter, whose dedication and legacy created and maintains Baxter State Park -- the greatest regional park, maybe in the world....

My apologies to all that support the trail that I've forgotten or may have never heard of.

hobbs
12-13-2010, 11:25
question already answered by mags.

a thru hiker can hike at 3.5 mph, but spend a lot of time in camp, sleep in, get sucked into towns, take zeros in the woods, etc. because typically they're not trying to break any records, that's the difference.

I agree with you old goat. It can be done in this apect. The average they came up with in earlier posts are do to the militaries expectations. light infantry units such as 75 Regiment (Rangers) Have to do 20 miles in 8 hrs witha 50pd pack. Some other Units same weight but less time. I believe a thru hiker with a 25 or 30 can hike what your saying. Just MYO.

stranger
12-14-2010, 09:08
I disagree, I don't think there are many hikers out there who can sustain a pace of 3.5 mph, sure there are a few people who can do it, but it's extremely rare.

For example, I hike right at 3 mph or just below, I've been passed 3-4 times in my life by other hikers (while walking). That's during 3000 miles of hiking split over about a dozen trips.

Long legs certainly help, but the majority of hikers I know who do big days consistently, 25+, simply walk for longer periods of time, not faster.

12-14-2010, 09:37
I truly believe in Hike your own Hike...so don't think I am dictating my views.

Personally, I would rather walk a slower pace and enjoy the natural surroundings, silence of the woods, the wildlife that abounds, the views to take in and the time to reflect. In the everyday world we scurry around at a frantic pace, usually for someone else (job, family, kids, etc) and rarely have time to relax in solitude.

Granted we may only have a certain amount of time to hike or have to meet the summit deadline of Mt K. But I like to take advantage of the valuable time on the trail and not rush through it like we do with everything else in life. Life can be short so enjoy every moment you can. If that means making the trail a competition and setting a pace above everyone else so you can be first then that is for you to decide. Just enjoy your experience how you see fit.:)

tenn_hiker
12-20-2010, 15:55
he says he is going to shoot for 57 days...

jersey joe
12-20-2010, 22:16
57 days is only 2 days more than karl did last year, and that was supported. 57 would be quite a feat.

The Solemates
12-20-2010, 22:50
after reading the guy's blog, he appears clueless. he aint gonna make it

Mizirlou
12-21-2010, 07:04
Crazyhair - Don't be intimidated by the bullies on this site. Most of them have no idea of what it takes to hike the entire AT. You will need all the physical strength and mental stamina that you can muster to do what you are setting out to accomplish. Raising money for you hike, either personal or charitable, is not a bad thing. Ignore the cyber-bashing - this is all it is. If could met the bashers face to face on the trail most of them would be very helpful and encouraging. The early winter months bring out the worst in people online.

Dude is coming from a better place, far removed from the downers.

Crazyhair blog quote:
If your soul wants something it will tell your mind to make it happen and your body will go along for the ride.
http://2011appalachiantrailrun.webs.com/apps/blog/

Arius
12-21-2010, 10:12
Crazyhair,
Too much bla, bla, bla...
Too many "I", "me"...
19 posts - preparations...
3 posts - trail...
1 post - conclusion

weary
12-21-2010, 11:49
That's my conclusion, having spent years wandering through late May snow drifts to reach the section of the 100-mile wilderness I maintained between Gulf Hagas Mountain and Whitecap. Only a catastrophic rise in global warming can save his record attempt. Post holing in deep snow certainly makes for a challenging hike. But it doesn't help achieve a record walk.

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 12:15
Originally Posted by The Solemates http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1082091#post1082091)

If Crazyhair stickes to an early April start the cards will be stacked against him, but don't write him off just yet. AT experience would make his chances better, but mental toughness and desire go a long way.
Best of luck Crazyhair...!!!

Slo-go'en
03-04-2011, 17:52
Wonder if this guy is still going to try speed hiking the AT starting April 1st. Just checked his web site and no new updates since end of December and he's only got a few weeks left to prepare.

Hope most of the record snow depth we got up here in NH and Maine is gone by the time he might get here in mid May. I have a feeling it's going to be really sloppy up this way well into June this year.

Crazyhair
03-05-2011, 11:04
Wonder if this guy is still going to try speed hiking the AT starting April 1st. Just checked his web site and no new updates since end of December and he's only got a few weeks left to prepare.

Hope most of the record snow depth we got up here in NH and Maine is gone by the time he might get here in mid May. I have a feeling it's going to be really sloppy up this way well into June this year.

Starting April 15. There's a new website that's been under construction for much longer than it should. www.dare2caresc.com (http://www.dare2caresc.com) I'm guessing it should be up by March 11 but since I'm not designing it...who knows. Still planning on speed hike and have added two more charities to my task (The Wounded Warrior Project and Bluffton Self Help). I haven't put any new info on the old site because I just got bashed here on WB when I did.

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2011, 11:13
crazyhair, will you have a trail journal to follow?
good luck on your hike!

Crazyhair
03-05-2011, 11:24
crazyhair, will you have a trail journal to follow?
good luck on your hike!

The dare2care website will have a trail map with a GPS position to show progress. Obviously there will be a lag time in the positioning for safety reasons. There are around a dozen videos to be loaded now and I appologize that it isn't up and running already but you will be able to see the progress and read my text from that site. Thank you for wishing me good luck.

hobbs
03-05-2011, 11:34
Have a great hike Crazyhair and Good luck...Hope you get alot of donations..

weary
03-05-2011, 12:12

At a meeting last night, I met the overseer of the final 60 miles of the trail -- from the Jo Mary Campground Road to the summit of Katahdin. He said he rarely has seen this much snow this time of year. No one can predict Maine conditions three months ahead of time, but his comments suggest that early hikers will have an extra tough time getting through Maine this year.

It is seasonally warm along midcoast Maine at the moment, 39 F, with a gentle late winter rain. But it will take a lot of warmth to melt the mound of snow at the foot of my driveway -- the most I've seen in 48 years of living here.

mudhead
03-05-2011, 12:20
You know the pile of plowed snow at the end of a drive that makes it hard to pull out onto the road?

I saw a guy on top of one yesterday, swinging a mattock.

Ice banks galore.

Skywalker
04-02-2011, 16:32
He's brimming with confidence, which is necessary. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all. He looks tough, but not like a sprinter. And he's gonna' try to do it in what? 49 days? Maybe.

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail

Mountain Mike
04-02-2011, 17:57
Crazyhair, good luck on your endevors for great causes!

For the naysayers. Didn't you read his background...former Navy SEAL & instructor to boot. His thruhike will be like a walk in the park for him.

takethisbread
04-04-2011, 11:12
Crazyhair, good luck on your endevors for great causes!

For the naysayers. Didn't you read his background...former Navy SEAL & instructor to boot. His thruhike will be like a walk in the park for him.

I appreciate his resume and respect his service but it wont be a walk in the park. its gonna be miraculous if he breaks the mark, but i do wish him all the best!

God Bless and good speed.

quasarr
04-19-2011, 16:58
Looks like he started April 15! He's posted some GPS points so it looks like he's well on the way. I read the entire thread and Crazyhair, I don't know if you're still reading this but I applaud your effort. You seem like a very genuine person who ran into a bunch of cynical old farts questioning everything from your good motives to your military service. (although there are a lot of SEAL fakers out there so I can understand some of the skepticism.) Also I noticed a conspicuous lack of an apology from someone who promised one ...

Anyway, you have some very worthy causes and I hope your hike helps bring some publicity and $$ to those organizations.

Happy hiking!!! :)

Second Half
04-20-2011, 11:48
Data from his SPOT locator so far:

April 17 11:30 Mile 30.7 Neels Gap
April 18 11:12 Mile 36.2 Tesnatee Gap trailhead
April 18 17:39 Mile 48.7 Blue Mountain shelter
April 19 12:06 Mile 56.1 Tray Mountain
April 19 17:07 Mile 64.0 Deep Gap shelter
April 20 08:19 Mile 67.5 Dicks Creek Gap trailhead

Slo-go'en
04-20-2011, 12:35
Data from his SPOT locator so far:

April 17 11:30 Mile 30.7 Neels Gap
April 18 11:12 Mile 36.2 Tesnatee Gap trailhead
April 18 17:39 Mile 48.7 Blue Mountain shelter
April 19 12:06 Mile 56.1 Tray Mountain
April 19 17:07 Mile 64.0 Deep Gap shelter
April 20 08:19 Mile 67.5 Dicks Creek Gap trailhead

He's going to have to pick up the pace quite a bit to beat any record! I had expected to see him jog by me already. (Am currently at NOC taking a second zero day in a week ... its so hard to leave a dry place on a rainy morning...)

Pedaling Fool
04-20-2011, 16:43
Not very impressive; actually very awful given the fact that this is a shot at the record.

Mr. Mweinstone might of been on to something.

Second Half
04-20-2011, 17:05
Well I for one wish him all the best in his attempt. I'm not enough of a trail expert to know if his start has already put the record out of reach. Do we know his planned mileage the first few days?

I do know he'd be kicking my sorry overweight butt if I was out there so I have no room to criticize.:cool:

Trailbender
04-20-2011, 19:35
If he was a Navy SEAL, he can probably do it with a garbage bag and a can of tuna.

Panzer1
04-20-2011, 21:15
The dare2care website will have a trail map with a GPS position to show progress. Obviously there will be a lag time in the positioning for safety reasons.

What do you mean for safety reasons. You think someone might try to do something to slow you down or hurt you?

Panzer

the goat
04-21-2011, 08:48
i hiked faster than this with a 60 pound pack. i didn't set any records either, besides most zero days in the woods.

Pedaling Fool
04-21-2011, 08:58
(Am currently at NOC taking a second zero day in a week ... its so hard to leave a dry place on a rainy morning...)
You need to break away now; you're entering a black hole! The force of gravity only gets stronger:D;)

jersey joe
04-21-2011, 10:28
I find it hard to figure out how many miles per day this guy is doing. Has he done 67.5 miles in 5 days? April 15-19?

Pedaling Fool
04-21-2011, 10:36
I find it hard to figure out how many miles per day this guy is doing. Has he done 67.5 miles in 5 days? April 15-19?
I don't see how it matters (his daily mileage); any way you cut it he is WAY off of setting any record. That's not much better than an average thru-hike. That mileage wouldn't even be considered a warm-up for any serious attempt.

Mizirlou
04-21-2011, 11:14
What do you mean for safety reasons. You think someone might try to do something to slow you down or hurt you?

Panzer

Safety/security/privacy issues on the trail are nothing unique to CrazyHair. Miss Janet is similarly delaying her TrailJournal entries.

CrazyHair’s GPS tracks:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0Y0PhZmAPDL1Gzi27n12aKEBro0D9mK LY

Departed Springer 4/17/2011 11:29 AM.
Last GPS reading 4/20/2011 8:19 AM Dick’s Creek Gap.
Looks like one partial day and 2 full days = 67.5 miles. About 26 miles per day. Just warming up.

P.S.: Quasarr, as I understand it, fences have been mended mano a mano between involved parties. :sun

Panzer1
04-21-2011, 11:34
Safety/security/privacy issues on the trail are nothing unique to CrazyHair. Miss Janet is similarly delaying her TrailJournal entries.

but there's a big difference between Miss Janet and a former SEAL in so far as safety is concerned.

Panzer

Second Half
04-21-2011, 11:48

CrazyHair’s GPS tracks:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0Y0PhZmAPDL1Gzi27n12aKEBro0D9mK LY

Looks like one partial day and 2 full days = 67.5 miles. About 26 miles per day. Just warming up.

P.S.: Quasarr, as I understand it, fences have been mended mano a mano between involved parties. :sun

Except that first SPOT location on 4/17 was at Rte. 19/129 (Neels Gap)? What am I missing??

tdoczi
04-21-2011, 11:48
CrazyHair’s GPS tracks:

that entry for 4/17 is not from springer. doesnt really say when he left springer, but thats neels gap. hes only gone 37 miles in the time you think hes gone 67.

Phreak
04-21-2011, 11:50
His SPOT page looks like 5+ days to complete Georgia???

Mizirlou
04-21-2011, 12:04
Except that first SPOT location on 4/17 was at Rte. 19/129 (Neels Gap)? What am I missing??

True about the unknown Springer start date/time. Can anyone get their mitts on the log book?

Hang loose. His site is offline at the moment, maybe more data is being uploaded.
www.dare2caresc.com/#/about-me/4547411714

jersey joe
04-21-2011, 12:06
His webpage says he departed 4/15. Very confusing based on the information we have right now. Hopefully we'll get a good update soon to confirm his progress.

Mizirlou
04-21-2011, 12:17
Very confusing based on the information we have right now.

Still insufficient info. Site back online with no updates. Facebook page confirms start date 4/15, unknown time.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dare2Care/100996276655226

However his father posted an encouraging statement on the primary Website. I'll hunker down on Pop's side. Go CrazyHair!

Phreak
04-21-2011, 12:58
Still insufficient info. Site back online with no updates. Facebook page confirms start date 4/15, unknown time.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dare2Care/100996276655226

However his father posted an encouraging statement on the primary Website. I'll hunker down on Pop's side. Go CrazyHair!
Here is what was posted on the FB page...

After just 5 days, Mitchell Tennison is approaching the North Carolina border in the selfless feat of his Appalachian Trail Speed Record attempt to support Dare2Care and their 4 charities: Wounded Warrior Project, Bluffton Self Help, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and the Sandalwood Community Food Pantry.

Serial 07
04-21-2011, 13:00
i'm bored with these record attempts...

Mizirlou
04-21-2011, 13:32
Dude checked in about 25 minutes ago (1:04 PM) 4/21, Plumorchard-ish.

weary
04-21-2011, 13:46
Especially since a lot of them seem to fizzle out rather quickly, and no one is really keeping track, anyway.

Mizirlou
04-21-2011, 14:11
;) So what brings you and the other 12,878 viewers to this thread?

jersey joe
04-21-2011, 14:11
Not me, I enjoy following these record attempts. The fact that most fail quickly just points to how hard it really is.

fredmugs
04-21-2011, 19:40
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=2fa5f0894540426752cf41e2768ec2 85&entry_id=20576

If this guy was doing it also I would bet on him instead.

Johnny Thunder
04-21-2011, 19:55

you won't be bored when i come and do one. i promise you can be in my training montage. you me and the pup. sprinting down the beach.

you provide the beach, the pup, and the music and i'll provide the legs.

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 21:03
johnney thunders a AT trater. whatever that spells.

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 21:04
come home johnney. people think i dont have any normal hiker friends.

Phreak
04-21-2011, 21:30
Jennifer Pharr Davis will be fun to follow. She's the real deal.

Skidsteer
04-21-2011, 21:34
jennifer pharr davis will be fun to follow. She's the real deal.

+ 1........

Mags
04-21-2011, 21:36

And by all account, a very down to earth, approachable person.

Red Hat
04-21-2011, 21:37

yes, and Nature Boy too. I am pulling for both of them.

Johnny Thunder
04-21-2011, 21:47
come home johnney. people think i dont have any normal hiker friends.

you don't. even when i'm around, you don't. no normal about me.

i'm still here until august '12. then i'll be home and we can be normal. but don't get excited, i'm moving out west for the winter.

there's much to do here. master muay thai. a month in nepal. become the man on the ukulele. stack cheese. a 3 hour marathon. and i only have 16 months left to do it.

sorry dude, it'll pass quick. i promise.

jersey joe
04-22-2011, 08:28
I agree with this based on her Jennifer's previous record hike. I didn't know she was going at it again. When? What is the goal this time?

royalusa
04-22-2011, 08:37
I agree with this based on her Jennifer's previous record hike. I didn't know she was going at it again. When? What is the goal this time?

See http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71708

jersey joe
04-22-2011, 19:29
Thanks for the link royalusa...this got me thinking, when it comes to long distance backpacking are women at a disadvantage compared to men? I can't think why, in fact, it might even be true that women have the advantage?!?

Mizirlou
04-23-2011, 16:00
CrazyHair’s gps tracks
4/23/2011 3:37 PM
Winding Stair Gap-ish

tdoczi
04-23-2011, 18:50
CrazyHair’s gps tracks
4/23/2011 3:37 PM
Winding Stair Gap-ish

wow, 74 miles in 6 days.

he should just stop now and go back to springer and start again.

Phreak
04-23-2011, 19:24
wow, 74 miles in 6 days.

lol... yeah, I hate to knock anyone but this attempt is a joke at this pace. My wife only backpacks every few years and she can easily do 74 miles in 6 days.

jersey joe
04-23-2011, 22:32
wow, 74 miles in 6 days.

Yeah, not exactly flying out of the gate...unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to have a slow start and still average 47mpd.

Panzer1
04-24-2011, 11:16
hay, to all you nay-sayers: consider this: you're at home with your fat butt sitting in a chair: today, Crazey-hair is on the trail doing it up and you are not.

Panzer