PDA

View Full Version : Knife Help, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed

UCONNMike
12-15-2004, 18:41
I took a Benchmade Elishewitz Knife (http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/benchmade_knife_company/benchmade_elishewitz_ares_model_730s.html) with me on a section hike this past summer, and the thur hikers i talked to said i had way too much knife with me. I'm trying to go as light-weight as possible, and i have been looking around for a knife, but i have no idea what I'm really looking for. I saw a pretty neat looking one on Gerber's cite (http://www.gerbertools.com/6992.htm) which is light and aparently durable, according to them. I just dont wanna end up with too little of a knife, and not another one that is too big. I checked a few pages in the gear section and didnt see any posts on knives, if there is one that anyone can refer to that would be great, or just lend me your opions on what kind of knives worked for you, and conversely whihc didn't, and if the little gerber guy im looking at is a good pick.
-thanks gang

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 18:45
A simple pocket knife will work. A swiss army knife with a few blades is fine. In my book, anything more is overkill.

SGT Rock
Leatherman Micra has been plenty for me for years. 1.7 ounces.

UCONNMike
http://www.rei.com/product/47806379.htm? i saw this on on REI, it seems to be a bigger version of the Gerber knife I mentioned in the post above. Again, any comments would be helpful...

SGT Rock
12-15-2004, 18:47
The first knife at 1.4 ounces would be fine. It cuts stuff. Unless you forsee needing scissors or a screwdriver, then it would be plenty enough.

UCONNMike
12-15-2004, 18:53
did you find the sicissors to be more useful than fixed blade, and what uses did the screw drivers come in handy for on the trail?

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 18:59
did you find the sicissors to be more useful than fixed blade, and what uses did the screw drivers come in handy for on the trail?

Scissors and a screwdriver serve almost no purpose on the trail - unless we're talking about a screwdriver for eyeglasses - if you wear them.

Mike, since you have posted here previously that you have very little money, do yourself a favor and save some on a knife. Knives are fun, but all you need is a blade to cut cheese and perhaps a few other things. Anything more is dead weight - IMO.

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 19:21
You can get several versions of the Gerber LST knives at around $10 to $15 at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Bass Pro Shops.

They weigh about 6/10ths of an ounce or so. LIGHT. Plenty enough blade. Can even get serrated.

http://www.gerbertools.com/display.asp?SM=12&CatNum=02&DeptNum=21&Search=YES

That's more than enough knife I've needed so far.
:sun
Rain Man

SGT Rock
12-15-2004, 19:27
I use my micra to make stoves. The screwdriver did help to change the batteries in my LED light. The scissors to cut the cans. The file and scissors also help to keep my nails trimmed so less holes in the socks.

TakeABreak
12-15-2004, 21:43
I went to Walmart, bought a kitchen knife about 3 inch blade, sreated, hard plastic handle, that comes with the blade inserted in a small piece of carboard type paper. I wrapped brown wrapping tape around the cardboard, kept it in the top of my pack, it weights about 1oz.

I used it for everything, I needed to cut, food everything. I simple cleaned after using for other food, with an alchohol wipe from my first aide kit and a little camp soap.

verber
12-15-2004, 23:31

When a trips focus is backpacking where civilization is days away I found one of the tiny swiss army knives is more than enough for me. I find scissors about equal in usefulness to a strait blade. Scissors are used to cut and shape duct tape to prevent hot spots and are also used to trim my nails if they are getting too long. The blade is used to cut food (prep and eating). The small swiss army knife blade is a bit short... but it's managable. Nail file used to remove dirt from under my fingernails and to smooth out the edges of my nails.

For other activities I want more of a knife. Climbing and kayaking I want something with a lot more cutting power (slice through rope and fabric). If with boyscouts you want more of a blade for foodcraft. Into the serious back country (Canadian Rockies... ) I want a full tang fix blade which can be used for all sorts of survival related activities.

Pencil Pusher
12-15-2004, 23:47
How about razor blades? Once upon a time folks maybe shaved with them, but I think nowadays they're relegated to being in box cutters and the like. Super cheap, add a piece of duct tape to cover the edge. Nice looking knife you're trying to leave at home.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-16-2004, 08:10
I took a Benchmade Elishewitz Knife (http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/benchmade_knife_company/benchmade_elishewitz_ares_model_730s.html) with me on a section hike this past summer, and the thur hikers i talked to said i had way too much knife with me.
-thanks gangI know from owning one without the serrations that this is one exceptional knife. Aside from the very high quality, it does a great job of holding an edge, cleans easily after cutting food items, and opens in a flash.
At any point did you feel that you made a mistake in carrying it? If not, it's the right knife for you. It's really a highly personal decision, and don't let anyone tell you you are wrong if it feels right.

kncats
12-16-2004, 11:53
I've been carrying a Leatherman Squirt P4 for the past year now and like it, mostly. The pliers have come in handy for fixing (other people's) MSR stoves, there is a screwdriver small enough on it to use on eyeglasses, the needlenose are pointy enough to use as tweezers for getting out splinters, etc. The only complaint I have, and this would apply to the Micra also, is that the knife blade is just too short. It's not long enough to cut through a chunk of cheese or hard salami, you can't spread peanut butter with it and so forth. I don't really want the extra weight of a larger multi-tool, but since the knife blade is the biggest reason for carrying a knife I'm considering switching over to a knife only with about a 3 inch blade.

Rain Man
12-16-2004, 13:46
How about razor blades?...

I found a little brightly-colored plastic cover at Home Depot or Walgreens or some such place. A single-edge razor blade slides into a slot from the side. A small plastic button clicks into the razor blade to hold it inside the case. When you need it, you press the button and slide the blade out. The case acts as a handle.

Anyway... SHARP and LIGHT WEIGHT. Oh, and CHEAP.

I've taken it hiking, but have yet to use it. But I've read of gram-counting weenies who take only a razor blade on the trail.
:sun
Rain Man

Belew
12-16-2004, 19:12
I had the Gerber LST Microlight untill I lost it about a month ago. It was the best Knife I've ever had. I have to use a knife every day at work and don't like a bunch of stuff in pockets so I like the small size. The lock blade is great. I know when backpacking most don't carry canned food but on my last camping trip I used it with a small log as a hammer to open the chili can. It's all I need.

grrickar
12-16-2004, 19:48
Leatherman Micra - light, tons of uses and reasonably cheap. Scissors are great for cutting gauze or duct tape for dressing wounds.

AlphalphaPB
12-17-2004, 20:11
Woohoo, a knife thread!

At any point did you feel that you made a mistake in carrying it? If not, it's the right knife for you.Yep. I love my 4" Benchmade A*** (similar to UCONNMike's Elishewitz), but I don't think it's suitable for continuous exposure to humidity like that on the A.T. After-trip maintenance has frequently revealed spots of rust on the liners, omega springs and blade (though my knife has a more rust-prone D2 blade). The washers also gum up by about the second day, regardless of whether the knife was directly exposed to water. This is only after about a week out there; I'd hate to see what would happen on a thru-hike.

There's also the problem of accidental opening of a folder if you keep it accessible at all times. Axis locks work when carried in a pair of jeans, but hiking shorts are just too floppy to keep the blade closed if it's jarred. Inside the waistband carry is too scary for me, plus incompatible with backpack hipbelts. The only option left is to clip the knife to webbing on the shoulder strap, still possibly dangerous in a fall.

I've tried carrying a 3" Camillus CUDA Arclite fixed blade on a short 5-day hike. A thru-hiker asked me whether I was planning on mugging people out in the woods, then proceeded to show me his Swiss army knife with a 3" blade. :confused: This cheap knife is very rust-resistant and fairly light at about 4 oz. with sheath. The sheath will not allow the tip to poke through even in a fall. The edge retention is fairly poor, but you can just bring a tiny Q-tip sized ceramic rod for touchups every few days of carving fuzz sticks. I got my ceramic rod from one of those Gatco X-shaped sharpeners.

I would rather not have to mess around with a folding knife while on the trail, especially since there are so many cheap and light fixed blades out there.

For the gram weenies:
I also carry a Leatherman Micra but have considered just carrying a dinky pair of travel sewing kit scissors and appropriate-sized driver bits for my equipment (only one Philips is enough for hiking poles and headlamp).

The Hog
12-18-2004, 08:07
Years ago, I carried a Swiss Army knife, but never used most of the gewgaws. Since I made the decision to go as ultralite as possible, I've been carrying a single edge razorblade (in a 35 mm plastic film container). The weight is negligible and it's far cheaper than any knife.