PDA

View Full Version : Coghlans Camp Heat VS. Esbit Fuel Tablets

Squirrel Sniffer
11-30-2010, 11:53
I'm planning for a thru-hike in 2012 and I want to know which type of self sustainable fuel would be better Esbit's Fuel Tablets or Coghlans Camp Heat Fuel containers. My big worry is temperature change and keeping them in my pack. Coghlans says it combustable which scares me because I don't want it to set my pack of anything on fire during the hot summer months on the trail. But the Esbit Fuel Tablets don't burn as long and are more expensive. Which one is better to use for long term hiking and has anyone thru-hiked using only one of these two methods(and firepits when nice outside)?

StorminMormon
11-30-2010, 12:21
I'm fairly confident that you won't have to worry about the Heat Fuel "blowing up" or anything in your backpack. In my experience, the can would build up pressure if left exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. Even then, the only thing that would happen is when you open the top to the can...there's a burst of air (and some fuel) that burps out of the can. As long as it isn't sitting in direct sunlight (I assume it's usually in your pack or tucked away for the most part) you'll be fine.

I would use the cans over the esbit fuel tablets because when you're done cooking, you can just cap the can and save the fuel - however, the tablets are not really "save-able" after they are lit. In all honesty, I prefer a handmade alcohol stove (see below). After you determine what kind of pot/pan you're going to use - you can really stretch a few ounces of alcohol for several days. I recommend having a "boiler" stove and a "simmer" stove. The two are identical, you just put fewer holes in the "simmer" stove. An ounce of alcohol will run the "simmer" stove for around 20 to 25 minutes. Anyway, I digress. Camp Heat Fuel is better than Fuel Tablets. Alcohol stove is better than Camp Heat Fuel.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products-stoves.html

bulldog49
11-30-2010, 14:36
I

Anyway, I digress. Camp Heat Fuel is better than Fuel Tablets. Alcohol stove is better than Camp Heat Fuel.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products-stoves.html

And canister stoves are better than alcohol stoves. :rolleyes:

Why is it when someone asks a specific question about a specific piece of gear people chime in with opinions about other gear? It's as annoying as having Jehovah's Witnesses coming to your door attempting to convert you!

StorminMormon
11-30-2010, 14:46
And canister stoves are better than alcohol stoves. :rolleyes:

Why is it when someone asks a specific question about a specific piece of gear people chime in with opinions about other gear? It's as annoying as having Jehovah's Witnesses coming to your door attempting to convert you!

Wow, and you took it a step further and didn't comment on the the thread AT ALL. Touche' crochety old man! I tip my hat to you.

bulldog49
11-30-2010, 14:51
Wow, and you took it a step further and didn't comment on the the thread AT ALL. Touche' crochety old man! I tip my hat to you.

Not too old to kick your ass any day douch bag!

10-K
11-30-2010, 15:55
Fight!!! Fight!!!

My longest hike has been 800 miles and I used esbit the whole way. It's great stuff...

You don't need a special container for it, it doesn't spill, get cold, you can get by without any stove if necessary, you can use it as a firestarter, and more I'm sure. :)

Bucherm
12-02-2010, 06:30
Fight!!! Fight!!!

http://projectunveil.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/braveheart1.jpg

Del Q
12-02-2010, 22:37
Another option, forget fuel tabs.........maybe bring one or two if in a pinch. Went to no cook this year.

Vargo titanium wood stove...........or Nimblewill Nomad wood stove, could be a better long term / long distance option...........

carry a zip loc bag each day for some dry tinder............and you get a nice "camp fire" each night.