PDA

View Full Version : Southbound hike to start june 2011

Sterling
11-30-2010, 15:51
Finally graduating college and the plan is to start between June 11-18 with my younger brother. I was hoping to get an idea of who will be starting shortly before and after this time. My brother and I are looking for some solitude, but we are really hoping to meet some new people (especially sobos) during our journey.

Darkstar i noticed your thread, and i saw that one other person may be starting early june as well. Again just wanted to see who is planning to be on the trail. I know its a bit early, but i am literally counting down the days. I have been backpacking for a while now, but this will be my first thru hike. Very excited!

slugger
11-30-2010, 16:32
Look under the Class of 2011 section there are a bunch of us starting around that time.

Sterling
11-30-2010, 17:45
thanks man im new to WB

iledefrance
01-04-2011, 20:48
Hello sterling
I will also be heading Sobo this June. I am currently preparing everything: equipment, itinerary, food drop plans, etc. and also doing some training in hopes to improve my physical capabilities.
Hoping to meet you on the trail.

France

paradoxnomad
01-16-2011, 06:27
i'll be starting SOBO around that time as well, planning on June 16th but it could be earlier or later. i'll be flying into bangor on the 15th and then heading up to the AT Lodge that night with plans to be in Baxter the next morning. Almost got everything set now, just finalizing a couple of last minute details. June can't come soon enough for me. See ya'll on the trail.

NHTrev
02-02-2011, 13:06
I'm planning on an early to mid-June SOBO start. Figure I live in NH, so it'll be pretty easy for me to get to Baxter. Good luck everyone and see you out there!

Khalidur
02-08-2011, 04:41
Hi, I'm aiming to fly into Bangor or Portland on 29th(ish)/may and hoping to start at Kath on June1st.

If anyone wants some company for the first 100miles, let me know.

I've got until sept 26th until I have to fly back, so I might have to speed up after the wilderness. Then again, I'm in no hurry to reach GA and don't mind cutting my journey short.

What sort of weather can a sobo-er expect between june1-sept 30th? I was thinking light rain coat, and pants and tshirt? with flipflops for really wet days on flat terrain?

The Flatulator
03-01-2011, 16:01
Check out www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) for shuttles, mid-Wilderness resupply and accomodations

myotheralt
03-06-2011, 04:42
Khalidur, I am planning on getting to Baxter May 31 and starting my hill climb on June 1. I will gladly keep you company for the wild, but I may have to linger in towns a little longer to recharge batteries and get some school work done.

Khalidur
03-07-2011, 10:40
Khalidur, I am planning on getting to Baxter May 31 and starting my hill climb on June 1. I will gladly keep you company for the wild, but I may have to linger in towns a little longer to recharge batteries and get some school work done.

change of plans, I fly into bangor june 1st at night (2200), so I'm gonna spend the 2nd shopping for supplies and head up Kathadin on the 3rd.

There's quite a few of us SOBOers on this forum with the same time frame so hopefully I bump into a few of you!

on_the_GOEZ
03-07-2011, 11:21
starting the 19th or 20th Jameson in hand! Less than 100 days baby!

Kepley
03-22-2011, 01:09
Going SOBO ME - GA on June 1st. See you guys up there. It should be interesting meeting someone from Canada, Iowa, and London in the first few days doing exactly what I am doing. I'm actually going to take it really slow the first few weeks so I can fish, so you later starters will probably catch up with me too. 70 Days left baby!

Khalidur
03-22-2011, 10:50
Going SOBO ME - GA on June 1st. See you guys up there. It should be interesting meeting someone from Canada, Iowa, and London in the first few days doing exactly what I am doing. I'm actually going to take it really slow the first few weeks so I can fish, so you later starters will probably catch up with me too. 70 Days left baby!

I'm from London via Bangladesh so that should make it even interestinger! :cool:

scoutSOBO
03-24-2011, 12:01
My buddy hotwheelz and I will be starting June 10-15. We've got a lot of stuff together already but we're still working on the itinerary. Any of you guys know much about sobo itineraries or who to talk to about this?

Scout

slugger
03-24-2011, 12:29
My buddy hotwheelz and I will be starting June 10-15. We've got a lot of stuff together already but we're still working on the itinerary. Any of you guys know much about sobo itineraries or who to talk to about this?

Scout

You can generally just start a topic with what you have and what your think you need to know.

As far as mileage itinerary, most people find that once they get on the trail it goes out the window as you figure out how many miles you feel like hiking. As for gear just put of your gear lists and you will get all sorts of suggestions.

on_the_GOEZ
03-24-2011, 15:39
Any of you guys know much about sobo itineraries or who to talk to about this?

There are lots of former SOBOers on WB whom you can ask specific questions. Otherwise, a good resource for me has been scanning trailjournals.com for SOBOers and reading what they have to say.

Or just start a thread...

Or just hike and learn...

on_the_GOEZ
03-24-2011, 15:41
P.S. see you out there, scout!

patricejustin
04-04-2011, 17:11
I'm a little late on the reply, but my husband Justin & I (Patrice) are hoping to summit Katahdin on June 6 and start our southbound thru hike after that. Glad to hear there are so many other SBers starting around the same time, so hope to see you out there!

http://www.wanderinglavignes.blogspot.com

Beardy
04-04-2011, 20:10
I'll be there. Starting in early June.

Chop
04-04-2011, 23:14
Will be starting in late June or July 1 with my wife.

Surprised to see multiple folks from NH going SOBO.

SD2AT
04-08-2011, 02:36
Hey folks...I'm sobo'ing this year also. I'm probably going to start sometime in the middle of June, haven't got the date set yet. I heard that since we are starting the AT in Baxter reservations need to be made in advance for the first night or two...anyone know or have any info on this? I'll be flying into Syracuse and staying with family for about a month and then am being driven up to Baxter....I'm a soloSOBO so some company would be great. I have plenty of backpacking experience out here in the west but this length will be a new experience...can't wait!

patricejustin
04-08-2011, 13:23
Hey folks...I'm sobo'ing this year also. I'm probably going to start sometime in the middle of June, haven't got the date set yet. I heard that since we are starting the AT in Baxter reservations need to be made in advance for the first night or two...anyone know or have any info on this? I'll be flying into Syracuse and staying with family for about a month and then am being driven up to Baxter....I'm a soloSOBO so some company would be great. I have plenty of backpacking experience out here in the west but this length will be a new experience...can't wait!
I'm no expert, but the Companion book recommends that SOBOs make reservations at the campground in advance. Spots fill up quickly in the park. They have the Birches campground set aside for NOBOs who can't make reservations. We made a reservation at Katahdin Stream campground for 3 nights. We are planning to get there June 5 & summit June 6, but you never know, so hence the additional night.

protargol
04-11-2011, 18:37
My gf and I are thinking about making reservations for Katahdan Springs June 3 and 4 with a summit with friends on the 4th. Looks like there aren't too many sites taken up. Guess the black flies keep people away some. Got my big 4 but still making our pack list.

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 11:52
I think Warrghiagey and Chaco may be starting around then. You've been warned.

ashleyspoons
05-31-2011, 14:37
Hi guys!

My boyfriend and I will be started June 13. I'm from New Hampshire as well...looks like great minds do think alike :)

Will be happy to meet you all.

ashleyspoons
05-31-2011, 14:38
actually, this is silly. im not leaving til 2012! woops!

on_the_GOEZ
05-31-2011, 14:57
I heard that since we are starting the AT in Baxter reservations need to be made in advance for the first night or two...anyone know or have any info on this?

Check here (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingThru.html) for some good info. Reservations are needed. See you out there!