PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP BMT mileage?

10-K
11-30-2010, 16:30
Anyone know about how many miles of the BMT are in GSMNP?

Bonus question: If I wanted to hike the BMT northbound through the park what's the closest vehicle access point to where the BMT enters the park on the south side?

SGT Rock
11-30-2010, 16:52
The closest vehicle access point is Twentymile Ranger station. From there to the north end is 94.8 miles to Davenport Gap. HOWEVER, I don't recommend anyone hike the last 1.4 miles as it is a road walk from Big Creek Ranger station to the AT crossing at Davenport Gap. It is an annoying uphill slog. I recommend you either have another car at Big Creek, or do the road walk from Big Creek to the AT crossing on the Pigeon River which is a much nicer walk.

SGT Rock
11-30-2010, 16:59
I just looked at the mileages, from the intersection with TN 32 on the BMT to where it joins the AT at the river is 2.1 miles.

If you hike the BMT back to the AT at Davenport Gap, and then to that same spot using the AT it is 3.3 miles. So not only is it a nicer walk avoiding this way, it is also over a mile shorter.

That is if you have to do the walk to Standing bear. From that point before the bridge I think it is like 1 mile to Standing Bear.

10-K
11-30-2010, 17:36
Thanks!

I was planning on doing a complete thru of the BMT in April, then I moved it up to February - now I've decided to hike the GSMNP section first and the other part later.

So, I guess the plan is to get my wife to drop me off at 20 mile ranger statiion and hike over to Standing Bear and call her when I get there...

Another question: At 100 miles that's 5 days worth of food + 1 extra "just in case' day.. Am I correct in assuming the only other reasonable resupply is Cherokee about halfway through? Last time I looked there wasn't a lot there in the way of foodstuff.

SGT Rock
11-30-2010, 20:45
You basically have two resupply options. Bryson City is about 37 miles from your start and is about 8 miles from the trail, but forget trying to hitch. Cherokee makes more sense because it's about 62 miles into your hike and it's only 6 miles into town where you can buy just enough to finish, better choices are a little further into town.

Mags
11-30-2010, 21:53
FWIW, I just hiked the BMT straight thru in the Smokeys. Maybe I have too much of a western mindset, but I did not want to go into town after 3 days. (And all the coffee I drank at Rock's probably helped, too! :) )

10-K
11-30-2010, 22:06
FWIW, I just hiked the BMT straight thru in the Smokeys. Maybe I have too much of a western mindset, but I did not want to go into town after 3 days. (And all the coffee I drank at Rock's probably helped, too! :) )

Yes, I think that's what I'm going to do... 6 days worth of food should do it and the weight will drop as I hike.

SGT Rock
11-30-2010, 22:25
True that. Also you will find the first part of the BMT fairly easy walking so the little extra weight won't hurt.