PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Mail Drop

GPK
11-30-2010, 18:11
Can anyone comment on the use of The Barn Restaurant or Happy Hiker Hollow for a mail drop instead of the Post Office.

Thanks - gpk

The Old Fhart
11-30-2010, 18:44
About a month ago Rambunny had posted: "We regret to inform you that Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins Va. Will be closed until June 2012." Apparently the access road to the hostel is being rebuilt by the town.

jlb2012
11-30-2010, 19:03
well since I think the Happy Hiker Hollow is closed for the next year your best choice is to use the Barn Restaurant - it being a whole lot closer to the trail than the post office iirc

Blissful
11-30-2010, 20:29
Folks at the restaurant are real nice. I did not drop there but it sure would be more convenient. The convenience stores there are pricey too

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2010, 21:04
The Barn is SO much closer than the PO. You pass right by it. I didn't use it for a drop though, so I can't comment on that...

Rain Man
11-30-2010, 21:25
If those don't work out, you might try Lumbermack's new hostel up the trail about 10 miles from Groseclose, off VA 42. Here's some info from another WB thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49930
Lumbermack, who completed his "thru" from '04-'06 and is in the process of getting hostel up and running, but it's not open yet. It's just off Va 42 on VA 619 at 502 Dotson Ridge Road, Ceres, VA. He's happy to help if he's on the farm.

The land line to the farm/hostel is 276-682-4061 and has voice mail, if you want to reach him. His North Carolina home land line is 919-285-4335.

He said he'd be happy to help hikers if he's in the area or can give them advice on the area. He has a trailjournal.com under "lumbermack."

For what it's worth.

Rain:sunMan

rambunny
12-02-2010, 12:19
Yes The Barn Resturant holds packages for free.I work there so you know were really hiker friendly. They won't have our road open till 6/12. Boo!

Rain Man
12-02-2010, 15:15
Yes The Barn Resturant holds packages for free.I work there so you know were really hiker friendly....

AHHHHH ... that would be good enough for me! Plus, they make a GREAT "Hiker's Cheeseburger"! :)

GPK
12-03-2010, 19:06
Hi Rambunny -

I'm planning on being in Atkins sometime around the first week of May. I always call my non-PO mail drop places prior to my hike to find out the hours of operation and the proper addressing.

The Barn Resturant can expect a call from me.
I'm looking forward to my drop and a good meal.

Thanks - gpk

brian039
12-03-2010, 20:53
FYI, the gas station at the Interstate crossing is right on the trail. There's two gas stations there, you want to go to the second one if you're headed north. They have an excellent resupply, I was really surprised. The lady who owns it loves hikers and will let you hang out there if you buy stuff. I wouldn't do a mail-drop there unless you have a special diet.

Cookerhiker
12-03-2010, 21:10
FYI, the gas station at the Interstate crossing is right on the trail. There's two gas stations there, you want to go to the second one if you're headed north. They have an excellent resupply, I was really surprised. The lady who owns it loves hikers and will let you hang out there if you buy stuff. I wouldn't do a mail-drop there unless you have a special diet.

When I section-hiked there in the winter of '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=87811), one of those gas stations (Shell at the time) had showers - their primary clientele were truckers. Is that still the case?

brian039
12-03-2010, 22:18
When I section-hiked there in the winter of '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=87811), one of those gas stations (Shell at the time) had showers - their primary clientele were truckers. Is that still the case?

I can't remember which gas station is which. I didn't go the the first one which I'm almost positive was a Shell but I can't say for sure so they may very well have showers. I know the second one didn't have showers but they did have internet access for free as long as you bought something and a little short-order grill.

Lone Wolf
12-03-2010, 22:21

yes. the other is an Exxon which is open then closed freqently.

jlb2012
12-04-2010, 10:50
nice ice cream and grill next to Exxon station - Eats N Treats iirc

rambunny
12-06-2010, 12:40
The Shell station offers a pay phone,short term resupply,showers and parking. The Exxon has a resturant, internet,and good resupply.The Relax Inn has laundry services,besides rooms. The Barn Resturant offers (see above). The P.O. is about 1 1/2 miles south of Atkins. There is a Comfort Inn that offers breakfast with stay and internet,about 3 miles toward Marion South.

SawnieRobertson
12-06-2010, 13:41
If those don't work out, you might try Lumbermack's new hostel up the trail about 10 miles from Groseclose, off VA 42. Here's some info from another WB thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49930
Lumbermack, who completed his "thru" from '04-'06 and is in the process of getting hostel up and running, but it's not open yet. It's just off Va 42 on VA 619 at 502 Dotson Ridge Road, Ceres, VA. He's happy to help if he's on the farm.

The land line to the farm/hostel is 276-682-4061 and has voice mail, if you want to reach him. His North Carolina home land line is 919-285-4335.

He said he'd be happy to help hikers if he's in the area or can give them advice on the area. He has a trailjournal.com under "lumbermack."

For what it's worth.

This is such good news! Thanks, RainMan.--Kinnickinic

Pony
12-17-2010, 00:02
Unexpectedly I had a great experience in Adkins. The food at The Barn was awesome (hiker burger), The Exxon lady (I think her name was Karen, but she told me to call her the Exxon Lady) was great. She let me use the internet for free, and was just super nice. The Relax Inn was, well, kinda gross, but they had hot water and cable TV, and for $40 a night I couldn't complain.

If you really need a mail drop sent here I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, but you can also resupply at the Exxon or Shell. Either way, don't forget to stop at the homestead and old schoolhouse just south of Atkins.