PDA

View Full Version : Hedging your Bets!

dje97001
12-15-2004, 18:59
I was replying to another thread, and I realized that with everyone I have talked to about the thru-hiking goal (planned for 06) I have been hedging my bets by citing stats on the number of people who finish vs. start each year or listing all possible roadblocks to finishing. I am definitely trying not to presume that my wife and I will finish, although that is our goal. Aside from the real possibilities for injury or illness, there is the whole "this is really physically demanding beyond the point of exhaustion" or the "I'm tired of being cold, wet OR hot and sweaty" or the "I'm so tired of drinking my dishwater to reclaim the last few nutrients in the pan" thing. I'm so cognizant of all of these possibilities that I am really trying to low-key expectations. But we want to finish--that is our goal.

For those who have already tried (successfully or unsuccessfully) and those who are planning to (and already informed family/friends of your intention), do you hedge your bets? Or blatantly tell them that you will be finishing? More of a curiosity than anything else.

Thanks for indulging me.

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 19:04
I found that stating that I was gonna make it - regardless - was helpful. I'm a prideful and stubborn SOB.

In your case, I would suggest that you and your wife head out there with the intention of simply enjoying yourselves. If I was to hike with my wife, I'd have to have a bailout agreement. if she wanted to quit, I'd respect that and join her. The same should apply for me. Anything less would put too much pressure on my relationship.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

dje97001
12-15-2004, 19:25
I know a little bit about being stubborn myself... you are in good company.

Bail-out clause is already in place. Although the specifics mention something about the only excuses being rabid squirrels and something else about losing both legs.

Yeah, we decided in the beginning that sometimes it will be mighty tempting to bail, but that we would set up a "must-hike" period after publicly expressing the desire to end the trip. We haven't decided yet what that time period would be, but I'm guessing we would say 2 weeks. Then re-evaluate the decision at that point. In that respect, we are both stubborn... which for once might actually work to our advantage!

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 20:11
Yeah, we decided in the beginning that sometimes it will be mighty tempting to bail, but that we would set up a "must-hike" period after publicly expressing the desire to end the trip. We haven't decided yet what that time period would be, but I'm guessing we would say 2 weeks. Then re-evaluate the decision at that point.

One thing you'll figure out pretty quickly is, if you have having thoughts about quitting, you might simply need a rest day or two. Hot Springs might be a nice place for the two of you to soak and relax. Similarly, you might want to go down into the tourist hell known as Gatlinburg and rent yourselves a nice room. Shenandoah National Park would be another nice place to rent a cabin and spend some time together cooling your heels.

If I was to hike with my wife, I'd plan a few rest days out on the trail. Especially in places like Maine where you can swim and lounge around in some stunningly beautiful areas.

Its amazing what a day off can do for your psyche.

A-Train
12-15-2004, 21:59
My friends placed bets on how far I would get. Josh had me down for 1000 miles, Chris for 1500 and Seth for the entire enchilada. Needless to say, Seth became my closest friend and I got him his money :)

rocket04
12-15-2004, 22:08
Personally, I just told people "I'm thru-hiking the AT." I didn't say "And I'm definitely gonna finish it," but I thought it and believed what I thought. It's in my nature to believe I can do any damn thing I set my mind to, and thinking that way is helpful, at least for me. I wasn't so fortunate as to have friends betting against me like A-Train. I say not so fortunate because I would have bet on myself and won! ;)

Mountain Dew
12-16-2004, 00:02
I had worked a fulltime job along with two part time jobs to save enough money for two years so i wasn't about to quit. The fact that I also had a website going was more fire in my determination to finish. The thought of going home crossed my mind often in the first two months.

I started with my now ex-girlfriend and when she left i never considered for a second to leave with her. That would only have made me resent her if she had expected me to do so. It would also have been extremely selfish of her. HYOH and not your spouses so to speak. Enjoy the journey....

SalParadise
12-16-2004, 17:38
There's no confidence in that language, and if you don't have the absolute belief you're going to finish, you never will. Sorta cliche but true. Plus it just shows that the hiker is worried what other people will think of her if she has to quit for whatever reason, but people won't say anything bad. At least I never got that reaction.

At Fontana Dam my brother wrote me a letter and said "I didn't think you'd make it this far." It was the best motivation I could have gotten. The rest of the way all I could think was "I'll show that SOB". .......he also sprayed perfume on the paper and smeared the whole thing with deodorant to "remind me what clean smells like".