PDA

View Full Version : Where is your motivation to Hike?

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2010, 22:40
People hike, others walk... it's getting cold... frustrated? what do you draw upon, what do you do different?

What are you going to do in the next 20 days?

Do you even have a plan?

Positive posts please.

DrRichardCranium
11-30-2010, 22:45
I just love to walk. I am almost compulsive about it.

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2010, 22:53
Great first weigh in... Mine is going with Rugby to hit the trails - a Dog is my best enthusiasm to getting out there.

10-K
11-30-2010, 22:59
I'm running the Kiawah Island marathon on December 8th and a 50km trail run on January 11th.

I roam around on the AT between Carver's Gap and Devil's Fork Gap somewhere at least 3 times a week most weeks.

Going to hike the BMT through GSMNP the last week of January.....

Plenty to do, no problem with motivation over here...

New Balance has a new slogan, "Nothing hurts worse than sitting on the couch." - I concur.....

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2010, 23:07
http://www.kiawahresort.com/recreation/marathon/

Awesome THAT"S MODIVATION.

sbhikes
12-01-2010, 02:14
I live in Santa Barbara so it's probably not quite as cold here as it is in most places. In fact, this is when the weather gets good around here. This is a great time to go hiking. Nice cool days with warm sun and pretty stuff to look at. I hiked every day over Thanksgiving weekend. I plan to continue that as much as I can.

My motivation for hiking comes from my legs. They like to hike. And also from that blubbery old lady that stares at me through the mirror every morning. Where in the heck did she come from? Maybe if I hike more I can get away from her.

moytoy
12-01-2010, 06:18
1> I'm not "almost compulsive" I am a compulsive walker.
2> Nice weather here in Florida( but I walk in the rain too)
3> Star lit nights
4> Cool morning walks on the beach as Venus and the Sun rise

I can think of a lot more reasons to stay motovated.

moytoy
12-01-2010, 06:20
motivated..dang I hate not being able to edit my sp.

Namaste
12-01-2010, 09:11
I like to cook and eat so I hike every weekend no matter what the weather. I love the cold and if I can't get up on the trail I at least walk or bike around the neighborhood. Not interested in running.

The Cleaner
12-01-2010, 09:22
When the sun comes back out and the wind lets up a little,I'm going up to Squibb Creek trail and take a chainsaw to clear some blowdowns.This trail connects with the AT right at Big Butt.Also you can access the Rocky Fork area too.Crawling under blowdowns w/pack is no fun...that's why they call me "The Cleaner"...:cool:

mweinstone
12-01-2010, 09:22
death. cancer. illness. hiking helps put these in check .

Mags
12-01-2010, 10:09
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs001.snc4/33408_449173240020_563440020_6405003_4984013_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs141.snc3/16851_261436950020_563440020_4771070_3791808_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs241.ash1/16851_261371355020_563440020_4769979_6722530_n.jpg

You can't drive to any of these places. And that is why I hike. :)

EDIT: Just realized you said right now. I play all year round in the outdoors. As the Scandinavian saying goes: There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!
http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.3938742.2.flat,550x550,075,f.autumn-frost.jpg

Blissful
12-01-2010, 10:13
My motivation are planned hikes next spring. To finish my SOBO in April. And the JMT in July (nice pics Mags)

Carbo
12-01-2010, 10:23
We have a real nor'easter blowin in right now. Think I'll head to the beach for a walk and to check the waves. Also a good time to try out some layering and my rain gear. Will bring the camera and if I catch anything interesting I'll post when I return.

fredmugs
12-01-2010, 10:58
No hikes planned but in order to not gain 20 pounds over the winter (again) I made a challenge with another guy to get down to my in shape hiking weight (195 lb) before Christmas. Started at 209 two weeks and I'm down to 201 right now. I have to cough up $5 a pound if I don't make it. That's motivation enough for me.

Planning to finally hike GSMNP in May and then knock out my last 300 miles over two section hikes in July and Sept.

Storm
12-01-2010, 12:39
I guess my biggest motivation for walking and hiking is to slow down the aging process. Keeping my weight down and keeping active in my senior years so I'll be able to dance at my grandaughter's wedding.

Only plans for the short term is a winter overnight at a local primitive camping area so I can play with the new gear I'm going to get for Xmas.
Honest Santa, I've been a good boy all year please bring my new sleeping bag.:sun

Ladytrekker
12-01-2010, 13:09
I organize a hiking meetup group in Florida so I decided to have a training backpack hike for new backpackers and put on a 2 mile hike into a shelter (Florida Trail) and set up and then there is 11 more miles of trail to play on after dropping our gear. I felt that alot of people were intimated by a long hike with gear as a first time. 27 people have signed up so on the 4th I am going on a march not a hike. ha ha. Many of them have never backpacked before so this should be fun.

I also put on an either one of two day backpack trips from Jan - April to make us get up and out and the response is enourmous I have at least 20 on each hike. I think it will be a good hiking season.

healthymom
12-01-2010, 14:15
14 miles tomorrow-- D Loop at Citrus
7-10 on Fri--Flatwoods
7 on Sat--Alafia w/ Heartland FTA

I get the hikes from 2 chapters of FTA and the Sierra Club. Check my schedule against the available hikes as soon as I get the emails and put in as many as I can make. Schedule absolutely everything else around hiking. Also, have a hiking partner as nuts as I am about doing as many miles as possible. We have a regular hiking date on Fridays. We do about 7-10 miles every Fri if nothing else.
Go to the gym after night appts to do stairmaster, there are few hills in FL and no mountains.
Winter is prime hiking time here. Few bugs, pleasant temps.
Am prepping for a thru-hike next year.
Amicalola...will...not...kick...my...butt.

johnnybgood
12-01-2010, 16:51
My motivation to hike comes from the need to unwind and get away from the real world.

I'm planning to hike the Mar-Har loop trail this weekend , so if there's anyone interested , it should be clear and cool. :cool:

alverhootzt
12-01-2010, 19:20
Hiking the AT in MD for my first winter backpacking trip this month.

Planning future trips to hike Susquehannock Trial System/Donut Hole Trail/Black Forest Trail and Mid State Trail

trekkngirl
12-01-2010, 21:24
What Mags pics said..I am a critical care nurse and backpacking is my therapy away from it all. A good hike up a mountain for an awe inspiring vista makes me able to go back and resume my position as a nurse and be glad I can do so,
knowing I will see the wonderers of medicine manifest its self in my patients as the magnificient beauty of nature manifest its self in me.

Wise Old Owl
12-01-2010, 23:09
AHH you still suck Mags.:D:cool:

Dogwood
12-01-2010, 23:48
Next 6 months.
Finish work in Chicago.
Visit family in NJ. Hike Batona Trail during winter for some much needed sanity.
Fly to Hawaii. Work for 3 months or so there doing landscape design and installation doing day hikes and a 5 day hike in Volcanoes NP as time allows.
March, head out to Joshua Tree NP for 4 days of bushwacking. Then bus over to Big Bend NP for 6 days in the Chisos Mountains.
Begin NOBO CDT hike around mid Apr at the NM/Mex border finishing in Leadville CO completing the CDT.
Head over to the Colorado Tr finishing my 250 miles on that trail.
After the CT, do hikes in any/all: Grand Canyon NP, Olympic NP, ANYWHERE in southern Utah, quite possibly Great Sand Dunes Nat Monument and/or kayak the Apostle Islands and/or kayak/dive/hike Channel Islands NP.
Solidify arrangements for hiking in New Zealand in 2012.

CARPE DIEM!

kayak karl
12-01-2010, 23:59
i don't like people..........................

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me alone.

Driver8
12-02-2010, 00:45
People hike, others walk... it's getting cold... frustrated? what do you draw upon, what do you do different?

I love to hike, find it life-sustaining, invigorating. Will hike as much as a I can so long as I find the weather and conditions other than fiercely prohibitive. It's even changing my attitude toward winter! I still don't care for this time of year's obnoxious parsimony with sunlight, but if you're out taking in as much of it as you can, it's much better than merely staying indoors and getting nearly none.

DapperD
12-02-2010, 01:06

What are you going to do in the next 20 days?

Do you even have a plan?

Positive posts please.I draw upon the fact that it is up to me and me alone to exercise, watch what I eat, and keep myself healthy and in decent shape by staying active through the cold, dark months of winter. I also have learned that even though winter can be long, eventually the warm weather always arrives, and if I didn't exercise and chose to eat whatever, whenever, I will not be liking the results when the heavy clothing comes off:D. My plan is on decent days when the weather permits, I get out and be active walking and hiking. When the weather is lousy, I will be either working around the house or working out with weights. This seems to work to keep the pounds off and to keep the winter blues at bay.

Celeste
12-02-2010, 20:11
I require solitude and natural suroundings to stay sane, simple as that.

My dog's energy helps keep me motivated, I rarely walk, run or hike without him.

I plan to finish my job this eyar as an AmeriCorps VISTA in july of 2011, work on my freelance painting and photography through fall and winter, and start my thru-hike in April of 2012. So excited.