PDA

View Full Version : Pack Shopping... ULA CDT, Ohm, or something else?

Downhill Trucker
11-30-2010, 23:40
Hi all,

Haven't been on in a while but I'm shopping for a new pack for the spring. I currently have a Dana Bomb pack heavily modified and a Granite Gear Virgo. My packweight is at 9lbs 4oz minus food, water, and fuel. With everything included I hover between 15-20 pounds total. I'm looking for something in the 2500-3500 cu inch range. The reason for so much room in between is I can always lash my bulky stuff (crocs, tarp, etc) to the outside of the pack with no qualms. I am trying to keep it cheap, but I want this to be the last pack I purchase for a while.

I was looking at the ULA CDT or Ohm. Any other suggestions are useful.

I didn't like the Virgo because it was frameless and had no sleeve. When unpacked, it was a pain for me to deal with it and I like at least a small amount of padding on the hipbelt for when I am cameling water or I have a lot of food.

The Dana pack is just too heavy for my longer hikes.

I like the CDT the best right now, but I can't find many reviews on it. If you own this pack, your insight is especially useful to me.

If it helps, I am 6'4". I haven't remeasured my torso length recently but I know it was shorter than most people my height.

Thanks for the help, and happy trails! :sun

Miner
12-01-2010, 00:15
I have a 2007 model of the ULA Conduit which is what became the CDT only the hipbelt pockets are not removable (but I always use them so I like it that way). Its the pack I normally use for outtings up to 6days. My baseweight with it ranges from 8 to 12lbs. I find it carries comfortably up to mid 20's as long as its full (let your sleeping bag loft if necessary; I pack mine in the bottom in a trash compactor bag rather then a stuff sack so its stays bigger and this is what rests on my behind). It will handle up to 30 lbs. for short period of time, but I wouldn't want to carry it for long. Like the Virgo, it is frameless though there is an internal sleeve for your sleeping pad so its against your back (I use a gossemer gear torso pad). They use to sell an optional pad you can add for back comfort (do they still do so?). The hipbelt only mind does have some padding where it wraps around the hips (but I don't know about the newer hipbelt with the removable hipbelt pockets). It's never felt uncomfortable to me, but everyone is different.

FamilyGuy
12-01-2010, 12:20
The CDT is frameless as well. Does it hold a pad better than the Virga? Yes if the pack is not compressed against a load - the pad straps help here. But loaded, the effect is the same as the Virga. The OHM will carry noticeably better than the CDT at weights over 15lbs. For 2-3oz of frame difference, the OHM is impressive.

The newest version has a revised hipbelt - both OHM and CDT and the belt pockets are NOT removable.

skinewmexico
12-01-2010, 12:46
I have a Circuit I like a lot. Is that too heavy/big? You might look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla too.

Luddite
12-01-2010, 12:56
I have a ULA OHM. I think it would probably be more comfortable and if you ever decided to carry a few extra pounds you can do it with the OHM.

bigcranky
12-01-2010, 15:05
Isn't the Ohm pretty similar to the CDT, but with the hoop frame? I like my Ohm a lot, it carries up to 30 pounds pretty well, but I'm happier with <25. For me it's just the right size for 3-season solo hiking with a lightweight gear kit.

I've tried several frameless packs, and I always come back to a light or UL framed pack, just for the extra support/comfort. YMMV.

skinewmexico
12-01-2010, 17:44
I have a ULA OHM. I think it would probably be more comfortable and if you ever decided to carry a few extra pounds you can do it with the OHM.

I have a Conduit (CDT), and I can't help but think the Ohm would carry extra weight better.

Luddite
12-01-2010, 18:00
Isn't the Ohm pretty similar to the CDT, but with the hoop frame?

Yeah, pretty similar but I think the OHM is a little narrower and of course it has the side compression cords.

AUhiker90
12-03-2010, 00:24
I am 6,4 and used a conduit L on my thru hike and it rode a little high on my hips but if you keep it under 22lb it works great. I just purchased the ohm L and it fits great with no worry about torso length.

The_Saint
12-03-2010, 00:45
Both are great packs and the advice above is SPOT-On. The Ohm will carry extra weight better with only a couple ounce penalty for the extra frame and slight increase in capacity.

Dogwood
12-03-2010, 01:58
I'm 6'4", have about a 21" long torso, and a 3 season thru-hike hike base wt always under 9 lbs with considerably compressible gear. My goto pack under those conditions is the M/L torso length 2007 version of the ULA CDT(Conduit). The latest version of the Conduit, now called the CDT, MAY HAVE slightly different torso designations/sizes. It fits my hiking style great with the abilty to carry up to 8 days of food. This pack in that torso length and under those load wts rides a bit high on my hips, which I prefer, but it does so comfortably for me. I've reached the pt where my load is so lite and my body(shoulders, back, hips, legs, etc) so strong that I sometimes thru hike using this pack loaded with 25 + lbs without the hipbelt buckled and all the carrying wt on my shoulders. I can carry 30, up to 35 lbs of load, for short durations(1-2 days) with no problem for my body or the pack. *The latest version of the Conduit, now the CDT, MAY HAVE slightly different torso designations/sizes/categories. Inquire at ULA for the correct torso length for you.

I have yet to hike with the latest ULA CDT version, although from what I've read and seen the latest versions are not much different. I only have two of the 2007 version left and once they are gone I will buy the ULA CDT versions manufactured after 2007 or possibly try a Mountain Laurel Designs pack to see how that pack works with my hiking style to meet the same 3 season goals. I've reached the pt where my load is so lite and my body(shoulders, back, hips, legs, etc) so strong that I sometimes thru hike using this pack loaded with 25 + lbs without the hipbelt buckled and all the carrying wt on my shoulders.

I think for a short time in 2008 this Conduit version had compartmentalized add-on non-integrated hipbelt pockets, cinch string top closure, and a few more minor differences. Since then this pack has been renamed and the integrated hipbelt pockets are back, the shoulder straps have been beefed up, the side pockets reshaped, and a few other somewhat minor rehabs. IMO, the pack is a VERY good price($135) for an UL pack in this volume, pack wt, and wt carrying class. It's also manufactured in Logan Utah.

The ULA CDT is a frameless pack so keep that in mind because your sleep pad has to/should work with this pack design. I have no problem using a short or med length NeoAir or old style ProLite 3 short or med with this pack with 30 lb carrying wts.

Downhill Trucker
12-03-2010, 05:02
Does anyone have experience with the Six Moon Designs packs?

bigcranky
12-03-2010, 13:47

Yes, I used a Starlite as my only/primary pack from Dec 2004 until last summer, when I added the Ohm for 3-season use. The Starlite is great, but it was finally just too large for me for my smaller gear loads. It's still my winter pack. Great design, very functional, and I love the "pad pocket" design -- I miss that on the Ohm.

I would recommend using the optional aluminum stays with the Starlite.

RockDoc
12-08-2010, 23:04

That's what I've used too. I got the weight low enough to do Springer to Hot Springs without the hipbelt or the stays, and it worked fine just using it like a rucksack.