PDA

View Full Version : First Hike - Springer to Deep Gap (6 Days)

High Jacker
12-02-2010, 08:24
Hi All!

First, let me just say what a tremendous resource this forum has been. I've been lurking for some time and have gathered a wealth of information. Thank you!

I'm about to head out on a 6 day solo trip from Springer Mtn to Deep Gap. I'm relatively new at this and this will be my first trip alone (and longest trip so far) and while I've been able to get most of my questions answered from friends and this board, I have a few left which I've listed below.

1. I have an orange pack cover I'll use to discourage anyone from shooting at me. Will this be enough?

2. I'm carrying bear spray as a deterrent to bears and other nefarious creatures. I'm also attaching a bear bell to the pack so that they hear me coming. Anything else I need? (A friend recommended carrying a .32 but to be honest I don't want the extra weight and doubt something that size will do much but annoy the type of animals I can't fend off with a swift kick anyway.

3. Going to Deep Gap is not a requirement (just want to do the Georgia section), however, it appears this will be the easiest place to meet up with my ride. (I'm being dropped off and picked up by some fantastic friends) Anyone know if it'll be open to vehicles?

4. Safety in general is a concern. While I realize hiking alone isn't the best bet for this, it's really my only option. I've read plenty of trail journals where folks have hiked the AT alone, but it's usually during the peak season. Anything I need to look out for during the winter?

5. Anything else I'm missing?

Again, I appreciate your help - You guys rock!!

High Jacker
12-02-2010, 08:25
One last thing... six days seems to be a reasonable pace. I'm 27 and in fairly decent shape so I don't think this will be a problem... thoughts on that?

High Jacker
12-02-2010, 08:33
One more - taking only tablets vs. a pump to conserve space/weight. I don't think I'll have a problem based on what I've read but any naysayers are welcome to voice their concerns. :-)

Hikes in Rain
12-02-2010, 09:15
See my replys in red below:

Hi All!

First, let me just say what a tremendous resource this forum has been. I've been lurking for some time and have gathered a wealth of information. Thank you!

I'm about to head out on a 6 day solo trip from Springer Mtn to Deep Gap. I'm relatively new at this and this will be my first trip alone (and longest trip so far) and while I've been able to get most of my questions answered from friends and this board, I have a few left which I've listed below.

1. I have an orange pack cover I'll use to discourage anyone from shooting at me. Will this be enough?

It should be.

2. I'm carrying bear spray as a deterrent to bears and other nefarious creatures. I'm also attaching a bear bell to the pack so that they hear me coming. Anything else I need? (A friend recommended carrying a .32 but to be honest I don't want the extra weight and doubt something that size will do much but annoy the type of animals I can't fend off with a swift kick anyway.

I've hiked all my life without firearm or bear spray. The two times I've seen a bear, it was hightailing it out of there. All I ever saw was their rear end. I'd think a .32 would be a little light for anything you'd need to shoot. You'll likely get lots of comments on that. :)

3. Going to Deep Gap is not a requirement (just want to do the Georgia section), however, it appears this will be the easiest place to meet up with my ride. (I'm being dropped off and picked up by some fantastic friends) Anyone know if it'll be open to vehicles?

Can't say for sure, but I think the road closes or becomes impassible some time in the winter. Someone from that area should chime in. It's a very pretty drive, though.

4. Safety in general is a concern. While I realize hiking alone isn't the best bet for this, it's really my only option. I've read plenty of trail journals where folks have hiked the AT alone, but it's usually during the peak season. Anything I need to look out for during the winter?

I almost always hike alone. Doesn't mean you'll be by yourself, even during the winter season! You'll meet lots of folks out there.

Again, I appreciate your help - You guys rock!!

max patch
12-02-2010, 09:20
1. Pack cover is good. I also wear an orange shirt. The majority of hikers do neither.

2. You don't need a gun, bear spray, or bear bells. Bear bells on the AT in GA will immediately mark you as a clueless noob.

3. Road to Deep Gap is usually closed 1/1 thru 3/15. Nantahala Hiking Club could advise if next year will be different.

4. Be prepared for cold rain.

5. I don't know you so I won't comment on your pace. Some people like to take a partial day off at Neels Gap or Hiawassee and I don't think you will have that type of flexibility given your schedule. If you carry a cell you can make changes to your pick up location if necessary. Best to hike to your car rather than to your shuttle.

6. You won't have any health problems using pills for a week.

High Jacker
12-02-2010, 15:23
Will ditch the gun, bear spray, and bear bells. Thanks for the heads up. ;-)

Checked with the club and they assure me it will be open until 12/31. WOOHOO!

Don't plan to take a partial day anywhere other than to see some of the sights - found a ton in another thread in this forum that look fun. Honestly, if I end up taking 7 days that's ok. Just want to have a good time doing it. I did the Coosa Backcountry Trail last Sunday which is a strenuous 12.9 mile hike with significant elevation change. It took me about 6 hours so I figure I should be able to do at least that on the AT in a day (need to avg 14 to hit 6 days), stops included.

I have significant rain gear - I'm using an eno doublenest and will string the fly. If necessary, I'll stay in a shelter though I'd like to avoid that unless it's really coming down. (read: torrential rain or hail)

Any other thoughts/suggestions are appreciated! :-)

Blissful
12-02-2010, 15:34
Check the weather ahead of time and prepare for cold or whatever comes your way and have fun. As long as you feel comfortable dealing with differing conditions, hypothermia, etc, there's no problem hiking alone. I did it for many months :)

ChinMusic
12-02-2010, 15:42
Have a good headlamp so you can hike a bit after dark if needed....days are short. Lithium batteries work best in the cold.

scope
12-02-2010, 16:50

One last thing... six days seems to be a reasonable pace. I'm 27 and in fairly decent shape so I don't think this will be a problem... thoughts on that?

taking only tablets vs. a pump to conserve space/weight

Will ditch the gun, bear spray, and bear bells. Thanks for the heads up. ;-)

I have significant rain gear - I'm using an eno doublenest and will string the fly. If necessary, I'll stay in a shelter though I'd like to avoid that unless it's really coming down. (read: torrential rain or hail)

Working backwards from above... you mention a hammock, what is your insulation, a pad? That's fine, just checking. ENO tarp? If so, could consider a larger tarp to block wind, or just stay in shelter I guess.

You plan on hanging your food, right? Shelters make that easy.

Take something to filter grit, etc. out of the water, and then pills work great. A dozen coffee filters should do, although most shelter sources don't really need it.

Thinking your itenerary looks something like...
Day 1 - Hawk Shelter 7.5m
Day 2 - Gooch Shelter 10m
Day 3 - Woods Hole Shelter 12.5m
Day 4 - Low Gap Shelter 15m
Day 5 - Tray Mt Shelter 15m
Day 6 - Deep Gap Shelter 8m
Of course, you can even out the mileage by staying in between shelters. Let us know if you're interested in good camping areas in between.

Just remember that there will be good chance for freezing temps and be sure to have a way of keeping drinking water unfrozen.

You won't be alone even though you may go through long stretches without seeing anyone. Chances are the shelters will not be empty.

One last thing, why Deep Gap instead of Dicks Creek Gap where you can be relatively sure that the road will be open?

max patch
12-02-2010, 17:18
Thinking your itenerary looks something like...
Day 1 - Hawk Shelter 7.5m
Day 2 - Gooch Shelter 10m
Day 3 - Woods Hole Shelter 12.5m
Day 4 - Low Gap Shelter 15m
Day 5 - Tray Mt Shelter 15m
Day 6 - Deep Gap Shelter 8m

One last thing, why Deep Gap instead of Dicks Creek Gap where you can be relatively sure that the road will be open?

He is going to Deep Gap NC not Deep Gap Shelter GA.

Unless he gets a really late start I'm guessing High Jacker will be at Hawk for lunch, not supper.

MkBibble
12-02-2010, 17:25
Scope, high jacker is heading to Deep Gap NC (USFS71), not Deep Gap shelter.

My two cents... it sounds like you have more time available if you need it; i think you might. HAVE FUN!

MkBibble
12-02-2010, 17:28
hmmm... should have said USFS73 at Deep Gap NC.

scope
12-02-2010, 17:36
Duh - thx for clarifying MP.

HJ - I bet you're going into a day 7; have fun and let us know how it went.

Trailweaver
12-03-2010, 02:24
Here's one more suggestion. . . you should take your cell phone (fully charged) and keep it turned off unless you need to check in with someone or make an emergency call. I would suggest you take the Hiker Hostel phone #, the Neel Gap #, or Joyce & Sally's # (they're in Hiawassee) with you in case you get in a jam and need to get out and be picked up early. I believe all of these numbers can be found here. This time of year, it can't hurt to have a little "insurance" if you need it. Your cell phone can almost always get reception if you're in a high spot on the trail. All of these folks cover the GA section, and if one of them can't pick you up, they would know someone else who could.

It does sound like you've planned well. I agree that you should ditch the bear bells and spray, but you should always hang your food. Bear activity has been "active" shall we say this year in GA.

Also, take a pack weight before you go. You should evaluate everything in it and absolutely get the weight down as low as you can if you're planning those miles .

High Jacker
12-03-2010, 12:35
Posting my itinerary below. I've added a few side trips based on suggestions from past threads on the forum.

Day 1 - Gooch Mountain Shelter (15.1) - Side trips to Hickory Flats Cemetary and Long Creek Falls
Day 2 - Blood Mountain Shelter (28.3)
Day 3 - Chatahoochee Gap (46.5)
Day 4 - Cheese Factory Campsite (54.5) - Side trip to Brasstown Bald via Jacks Knob
Day 5 - Plumorchard Gap Shelter (72) - Looks like there's a good campsite about a mile further near the state line. Thinking about going there instead.
Day 6 - Deep Gap @ USFS71 (83.2)

I've got a few days that are pretty ambitious, but from what I've read this should be doable. The lack of daylight is a concern but can always go into a 7th day if needed. To be honest I'm somewhat worried about boredom on that long of a trip. I know there will be others out there but other than hiking, sleeping, and eating (and the few side trips I have planned) I imagine it can be fairly monotonous. Correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to offer any additional suggestions for side trips. :-)

Great suggestions for taking the #s. Thanks! Will definitely be hanging the food and eating away from wherever I camp for the night.

Will also be taking coffee filters - another valuable suggestion. Any idea where I can get current info on water? All the sites I've checked are months old in their info. Given the recent storms I'm thinking there should be a fresh supply, no?

bigcranky
12-03-2010, 13:43
That's some impressive mileage, especially considering the short day length. I'd definitely bring extra batteries for my head lamp, and plan to hit the trail as soon as it's light enough to see in the morning.

max patch
12-03-2010, 13:47
To be honest I'm somewhat worried about boredom on that long of a trip.

You're from Atlanta so you know what time it gets dark around here now. So unless you normally go to sleep at 6:00 :) bring something to kill time. For me thats books and an am radio. Others like ipods and cards. Hopefully you'll have great company at nite; wouldn't count on it though.

ChinMusic
12-03-2010, 13:49
If night two is gonna be a cold one, I'd blow by Blood and camp just past Neels. Shortens day 3 a bit too.

Your mileage plans are aggressive. Do you have experience on the AT with these distances?

Blissful
12-03-2010, 13:55
Personally I think your miles are way too high. Like 15 miles for your first day is really a big day, esp when yo are not used to hiking. Plus having to carry extra cold weather gear and food (for the cold weather) on top of it. You'll likely have to alter it once you get out there.

High Jacker
12-03-2010, 14:34
I do not have experience on the AT at these distances, but from what I've read the 14 mile days seem doable. The 18 mile days are a concern but I can stretch this into another day if I wind up needing to. I'm starting a Trail Journal and will give you guys an update once I return...

Camping just past Neels sounds enticing in terms of cutting down mileage for day 3, but forces me to hang around if I find I need to buy something. I've also seen pics of the Blood Mountain shelter and it looks fantastic. That's the only night I actually plan on sleeping in a shelter (save torrential rain/hail).

Am I crazy? I'm getting the sense from the cautious posts that perhaps I'll be in for a rude awakening on the trail. :-)

Mongoose2
12-03-2010, 15:09
I do not have experience on the AT at these distances, but from what I've read the 14 mile days seem doable. The 18 mile days are a concern but I can stretch this into another day if I wind up needing to. I'm starting a Trail Journal and will give you guys an update once I return...

Camping just past Neels sounds enticing in terms of cutting down mileage for day 3, but forces me to hang around if I find I need to buy something. I've also seen pics of the Blood Mountain shelter and it looks fantastic. That's the only night I actually plan on sleeping in a shelter (save torrential rain/hail).

Am I crazy? I'm getting the sense from the cautious posts that perhaps I'll be in for a rude awakening on the trail. :-)

Not crazy, just (I think) overly ambitious. You will be very suprised at how difficult these miles will be for you. If you over-do it the first two days your body will talk you into walking off the mountain! Remember to slow down and have a great time!

Mongoose2
12-03-2010, 15:11
By the way, the blood mountain shelter is also a shelter to several hundred mice. Looks cool, but to sleep in, not so much.

bigcranky
12-03-2010, 16:00

Crazy? Dunno. After all, there are some new AT hikers who can cruise out the gate doing 15-18 miles per day. However, I've met many more of the other kind, who think 15 miles to Gooch Mountain Shelter on the first day will be a piece of cake. The first half of the day is easy -- nice, mostly level trail to Hawk Mountain Shelter. The second half has a tendency to kick hiker butt. Partly that's because of the trail -- it's the first stiff climb -- and partly that's because it's later in the day. Leaving Gooch Mountain you've got an easy morning, then the climb of Blood in the afternoon. With a full winter pack, after a 15+ mile first day, it has the potential to be a challenge, that's all.

You'll be able to make any adjustments once you get out on the trail. If you are having an easy time of it, no worries, hike on. If you need to back off a bit, that's easy, too. Just buy another day of food at Neels Gap.

And yeah, Blood Mountain Shelter looks great until you see the rats.

ChinMusic
12-03-2010, 16:23
I do not have experience on the AT at these distances, but from what I've read the 14 mile days seem doable.

I don't think you are crazy. I do think you will find the AT a bit harder than you currently think. You have a great plan..........if you can do it (I couldn't do your plan without great hardship but many on WB could). Just be flexible and remember that weather can alter your plans as well.

The good news is that if you find those distances to be too difficult you can EASILY adjust your plans on the fly. There are plenty of places to get on and off the trail.

If you find Deep Gap too far you can get off at Dick's Creek Gap. If that is too far get off at Unicoi Gap.

TheChop
12-03-2010, 16:28
If you did the CBT then you've done two very good climbs already. Blood Mountain is nothing compared to Slaughter Mountain. For some reason those switchbacks are the best designed I've ever seen. You just fly up the side of Blood coming NOBO compared to the CBT going up Slaughter after Wolfpen Gap. I've only hiked from Neel's Gap to Springer and did it SOBO but I'd say you've got two to three nasty climbs like that between Neel's Gap and Springer.

I agree with what everyone has said about the Blood Mountain shelter. It's old and on the very top of Blood Mountain. There also seems like precious few good bear hanging trees up on the top. If it were me I'd make my way down to Mountain Crossings and either stay at their hostel, stay past Neels Gap or stay before Blood Mountain. I stayed at that little campsite between Slaughter and Blood. Whatever you do don't take the Freeman trail around BM thinking it'll be easier if you're pressed for time. The climb is easier and quicker it seemed. The trail around the mountain doesn't climb but the rocks make for slow going and ankle strain.

Another point about you camping at Blood. The way back down Blood is fairly rocky and fairly difficult. I wouldn't want to do it when I felt pressed for time.

I agree with what others have said about the itinerary. It's very ambitious but if you did the CBT in 6 hours you're in pretty good shape. That was my first overnight trip. I camped halfway through and it kicked my butt. That said for enjoyment sake since this is your first long trip you might want to plan on dividing it up into two sections to ease into things for your mental sake. Here's my advice on it. Take seven days. Plan on camping before Blood on the second night. Whether that's right before Blood or five miles before Blood depends on how you're feeling. The third day wake up early and hike over to Mountain Crossings. Take off the pack, rest the feet, get some hot chocolate, look at gear, talk to some people. Buy a book if the one you're reading isn't doing it for you during the long nights. Pick up gear as needed. Take the morning off essentially. After I hiked here over the Duncan Ridge Trail I just sat around chatting up thru hikers for about four or five hours. I didn't plan to stay that long but it was just so nice and I'm sure a warm place like this is going to be just as nice for you.

Then you start off again unless you don't want to and you can call for your ride or decide to hostel it up there and take off on the fourth day. You also have the option of spending thirty minutes at the store and then blasting on but at least that way you've got a break. You can also call your friends and update them because by then you should know your abilities and be able to plan when you're going to hit the end of the trail.

Planning the itinerary is good but planning to be flexible is better. Give yourself seven days.

Blissful
12-03-2010, 16:57
I know some young guys not many months ago on here who were given the advice to shorten their miles on this precise section. They returned humbled, saying they wished they had listened. You will find out, and likely the hard way (as many of us do, me included) and hopefully not by suffering a knee injury or something else. Yeah you might get to camp early. If there's a fire ring, build a fire. Enjoy being outdoors. Bring a book and a good headlamp. Take your time and enjoy it.

And the Blood Mtn shelter is cold dark and nasty, imo. And there used to be a resident skunk at one time. I'd head to the hostel, imo.

scope
12-03-2010, 19:18
10-12m is in general pretty average for Ga. Yeah, some do more, and I bet you can, too. But you're talking aroung 50% more on back to back days for a week, and I think you'll rue that. A more reasonable figure - and still aggressive - might be 25% which would put you around 12-16 miles per day. I would dump the side trips, you'll see plenty along the way this time of year. If you do at least 12 a day, that will get you there on day 7. Just take each day at a time and keep walking after the 12m if you feel like it.

Also, when you get to Deep Gap, you might consider walking down the Kimsey Creek trail to the Standing Indian backcountry parking lot, which would be a lot easier access for your ride (paved road), and might alleviate some stress for you if the weather turns dicey.

Cookerhiker
12-03-2010, 20:26
I always hesitate to second guess re conditioning and I know you said you're in good shape but in light of your ambitious schedule, 3 points:

1. In addition to the lesser hours of daylight, winter hiking in cold weather simply takes more out of you energywise and aerobically.

2. You are aware that most of this hike is up and down - there's very little level? True, the Trail in Georgia is well-graded and I don't recall any single ascent of more than 1,000' but it's a roller coaster.

3. You won't exactly stride at an 18 mpd pace down Blood Mountain, particularly if it's icy.

Hope everything goes great! Georgia is a very nice section of the AT and IMO one of the best maintained.

Smile
12-04-2010, 07:43
Blissful: Personally I think your miles are way too high. Like 15 miles for your first day is really a big day, esp when yo are not used to hiking.

That's not an easy section if you're just off the couch/into the woods, take it slow, enjoy the hike the first few days. Some of your climbs/descents in that area aren't a cake walk on a a nice path :)

I hope you have an amazing time - look forward to your trip report and let us know how it was for you! :)

man and dog
12-04-2010, 16:38
I have a question. Where are you starting the hike from? Your first day of 15 miles to Gooch does not take into account the 8 mile hike from Amicalola to springer.... is there another access point to the start of the AT?

I am about to start the same trip....
I have 6 days from Amicalola falls to Unicoi Gap.... I want to take my time and enjoy the hike...What do people think....this a good schedule or should I eliminate the 8 mile hike from Amicalola?....if so, how do i do that? Thanks.....Ill be hiking with my old dog....he has done backpacking trips before....2 - 3 weeks....but that was many years ago....we are both old now...so not sure what our pace will be....want something enjoyable.....not running against the clock the whole time......trying to get away from the time constraint feeling.....thats why we are breaking free for a week on the trail...anyway...I digress....

man and dog
12-04-2010, 16:44
one more question....maybe i should start my own thread...but this should be the last one....

how much water should I carry at a time. Is 2 liters enough....?

My pack is around 40 lbs.....not including water....

High Jacker
12-04-2010, 17:01
I'm not doing the approach trail. I'm starting at the Springer Mtn parking lot (as long as my friend's Corolla can make it) and hiking South .9 miles to the start. Then coming back over through the parking lot. I carry 2 liters of water at all times but I drink A LOT. You probably could get away with 1 given the water sources but you are also traveling with dog...

High Jacker
12-04-2010, 17:04
Cross posting this question...

Coming from Atlanta area via 400, my ride is dropping me off at the parking area for Springer on USFS 42. Coming via 52, looks like Nimblewill is the quickest route but I've read that should only be attempted with 4 wheel drive. Anyone have experience with either? My friend has a Toyota Corolla so not much ground clearance... I'm open to other routes as well. :-)

Smile
12-04-2010, 17:19
Corrolla not so good if there's mud or weather/snow, it's almost 7 miles one way (someone correct me if I'm wrong on mileage) on that forest service road, a good road if you have good clearance. Maybe others might comment on the road....

As for mileage, the approach trail is mostly all uphill, good to skip this - you'd most likely be ready for the Springer Mtn. Shelter after this hike on a first day out. :)

High Jacker
12-04-2010, 19:10
Are you talking about via Roy or via Nimblewill?

I may be able to borrow an SUV though I don't think it has 4 wheel drive... Would much prefer to take Nimblewill due to time - being dropped off and it's a 1:45 trip as it is from Roswell. :-/

man and dog
12-04-2010, 23:12
where are you reading about these roads? I leave tomorrow...need to find a quick route to springer.....also in a small car...

High Jacker
12-05-2010, 05:27
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=388678

kolokolo
12-05-2010, 12:04
Good luck to High Jacker and to Man and Dog. As everyone has said, be flexible with your plans and most of all - be safe.

Hope you both have great hikes.

man and dog
12-05-2010, 12:58
perfect, thanks so much....we gone....

High Jacker
12-05-2010, 13:05
Hope to see you out there man and dog!

eagleJ
12-05-2010, 15:48
Hope you guys have a great trip. I did that section with a friend in 06 in 8 days we were at Deep Gap by noon on day 8, be ready for some cold weather.

High Jacker
12-05-2010, 19:56
Thanks eagleJ! Starting to worry that my 20 degree Cat's Meow bag won't cut it... purchased a liner that's supposed to add 25 degrees (I'm guessing I'll be lucky to get 15-20). Thinking I should have gone with the 0 degree bag...

eagleJ
12-05-2010, 22:21
You can get a lot of info about cold weather hammock camping hammockforums.net, are you using a pad or a under quilt.

High Jacker
12-05-2010, 22:34
Pad - inflatable air - minimal weight but should provide enough cushion... never camped with it below 35 so this'll be an experience.

max patch
12-05-2010, 23:15

. purchased a liner that's supposed to add 25 degrees .

no way

Skidsteer
12-05-2010, 23:31
purchased a liner that's supposed to add 25 degrees

.....no way

But it should raise your core temp and be good for some laughs just trying to get into it in a hammock.

ChinMusic
12-06-2010, 00:34
But it should raise your core temp and be good for some laughs just trying to get into it in a hammock.

What a great visual.

Nizhoni
12-08-2010, 17:34
Hey High Jacker!! When are you going on your hike? We are going from Unicoi to Deep Gap, NC at the end of the month. Our first time backpacking was Woody Gap to Unicoi and we did it in 2 1/2 days. It freakin kicked our butt because we weren't expecting the crazy elevation changes and we workout at least four times a week. Just pace yourself and if you have time to play with slow down and enjoy the sights! Also we had the wrong packs....total newbies at the time ;-) Hopefully this trip will go a little better for us! Maybe we will see you out there!!

FatMan
12-08-2010, 21:11
You should have no problem getting to Springer using the Roy Rd route in your corolla as long as there is no snow. Do not try FS77 up from Nimblewell.

It was 12 degrees with brisk wind this morning at Grassy Gap which is between Gooch and Woody Gaps. I am a hanger and I do not know how to keep warm enough for that temp. I have an under pad and a pad inside and at that temp I would freeze my azz. You may want to reconsider your hammock if you have never tested it in the teens.

scope
12-12-2010, 16:52
I imagine if all went well, you're heading back about now. Very interested to hear how things went.

man and dog
12-12-2010, 21:34
im back, all went well for the dog and I....saw a few sobo finishing up. Great hike....very cold though....mostly at night....did not have the right bag. 17degree was not enough.

scope
12-15-2010, 16:40
Still waiting to hear from High Jacker...

MoBill122
12-15-2010, 22:24
Been a long time since I been on WB. I forgot how entertaining these posts can be.

Sure glad to not be on the GA AT the past few days....yea...I admit.... I'm a whimp ! BBRrrrrr

We may need to go look for High Jacker frozen up in his hammock.....

earlyriser26
12-15-2010, 22:57
If you are going this time of year, day light will be a big problem. Your first questions about bears and other things tells me you are very new to the AT. Better to get to camp early. I had problems with daylight in Maine during October. The shortest day of the year is at hand. Cold weather hiking is slow hiking. Good luck.

Nearly Normal
12-19-2010, 22:44
My idea of fun is hiking till I get tried, stop and camp. I'll use the shelter to cook and eat if the weather is foul but sleeping in one is not for me.
Plans are great but mine rarely work out exactly. For that distance I give myself a couple buffer days, relax and enjoy my time out.
The first day of Ga is the easiest, but you're half my age and probley in better shape. I didn't find the rest of it "easy".
It is a fact that some hikers push themselves a little too hard the first couple of days and well......regret it.
HYOH............Have big fun.

ChinMusic
12-19-2010, 22:55
High Jacker's profile shows his account was on WB this afternoon.

Can't wait to hear how things went.

RaoulDuke
12-20-2010, 13:15
LOL at bear bells. and a .32 wouldn't take down a bear.

Nizhoni
01-03-2011, 20:27
So High Jacker.....How was your trip? Did you finish???

High Jacker
02-11-2011, 18:09
Never posted an update to this but owed one due to all the help I was given.

DNF'd the trip. Greatly humbled. Attempting again in March with a plan for 7 days to allow for 9 if needed.

DripDry
02-11-2011, 18:24
The GA Mountains have humbled a lot of us!

scope
02-11-2011, 18:56
Hey, nothing like actual experience. Glad you got out and got it.

Skidsteer
02-11-2011, 19:06
You lived. You win.

envirodiver
02-11-2011, 19:39
Don't forget to have fun!

ChinMusic
02-12-2011, 00:10

DNF'd the trip. Greatly humbled. Attempting again in March with a plan for 7 days to allow for 9 if needed.
No worries, it is what it is. Everyone learns to adjust. Good luck next time out.

takethisbread
02-12-2011, 07:32

its harder than it seems. particularly in winter. March will be better as you can lean on thru hikers for support and companionship

max patch
02-12-2011, 15:22
If I remember correctly when you started it was a really cold and wet week. I hike almost every day, but that week my "hikes" were mostly at the Y. Too bad you're not hiking this week as the weather is as good as you're likely to see in February.

MkBibble
02-12-2011, 16:31
The GA Mountains have humbled a lot of us!
Myself included! On my first trip springer, I did less than half the milage I expected. At the end of the first day I sent one text message to my family, "WOW. This is a LOT harder than I thought!" And, I didn't have the weather to deal with either.

SurvivalMode
02-21-2011, 03:56
The AT in Georgia was definitely a humbling experience for me. My very first experience with hiking was in 2009 when 3 friends and I hiked from Amicalola Falls to Woody Gap (approx. 30 miles) in three days. Anybody that has hiked that section knows that the Amicalola Falls approach trail is one heck of an introduction to hiking for someone with no experience whatsoever! Several times during that trip I really had to question just what in the world had I gotten myself into and, more importantly, was I going to be able to get myself out of it? Strangely enough, somewhere along the way I absolutely fell in love with hiking and the AT. My friends and I made a relatively short hike last year from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap and we are in the process right now of planning this summers trip and hoping to complete the Georgia section of the AT when we finish up in Deep Gap, NC.