PDA

View Full Version : GPS system subject to being turned off in a crisis...

minnesotasmith
12-16-2004, 02:29
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20041215/D870CJ9G1.html

Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cbcbcd><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Dec 15, 6:32 PM (ET)

By TED BRIDIS

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush has ordered plans for temporarily disabling the U.S. network of global positioning satellites during a national crisis to prevent terrorists from using the navigational technology, the White House said Wednesday.

Any shutdown of the network inside the United States would come under only the most remarkable circumstances, said a Bush administration official who spoke to a small group of reporters at the White House on condition of anonymity.

The GPS system is vital to commercial aviation and marine shipping.

The president also instructed the Defense Department to develop plans to disable, in certain areas, an enemy's access to the U.S. navigational satellites and to similar systems operated by others. The European Union is developing a $4.8 billion program, called Galileo.

The military increasingly uses GPS technology to move troops across large areas and direct bombs and missiles. Any government-ordered shutdown or jamming of the GPS satellites would be done in ways to limit disruptions to navigation and related systems outside the affected area, the White House said.

"This is not something you would do lightly," said James A. Lewis, director of technology policy for the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies. "It's clearly a big deal. You have to give them credit for being so open about what they're going to do."

President Clinton abandoned the practice in May 2000 of deliberately degrading the accuracy of civilian navigation signals, a technique known as "selective availability."

The White House said it will not reinstate that practice, but said the president could decide to disable parts of the network for national security purposes.

The directives to the Defense Department and the Homeland Security Department were part of a space policy that Bush signed this month. It designates the GPS network as a critical infrastructure for the U.S. government. Part of the new policy is classified; other parts were disclosed Wednesday.

The White House said the policies were aimed at improving the stability and performance of the U.S. navigation system, which Bush pledged will continue to be made available for free.

The U.S. network is comprised of more than two dozen satellites that act as beacons, sending location-specific radio signals that are recognized by devices popular with motorists, hikers, pilots and sailors.

Bush also said the government will make the network signals more resistant to deliberate or inadvertent jamming.

---

On the Net: Office of Science & Technology Policy: www.ostp.gov
<!-- Subject: Positioning Satellites -->

C-Stepper
12-16-2004, 08:57
I remember, around summertime this past year, there was a warning in the news media in NC that the GPS would be jammed on a certain day during a certain time period to test the capabilities of doing so. I hadn't heard of this before this summer's testing. The warning was mainly for marine fisherman/boaters, I suppose so they didn't get lost and were aware to DEFINITELY carry back up navigation devices (I guess they should always do that, however). I guess it's the sign of the times we live in...

SGT Rock
12-16-2004, 09:06
This has always been a part of the system. Ya'll probably also remember the old GPS days of SA channels for civilians too.

MOWGLI
12-16-2004, 09:06
Luckily, GPS devices are not necessary on the AT, and almost useless under the green tunnel in the middle of summer.

minnesotasmith
12-16-2004, 23:48
But, hiking the AT during winter, when few other hikers are around, the blazes can be covered over by windblown snow, and the trail can be obscured by drifts, GPS might not be unreasonable to carry. Too, there are other places I am considering hiking one day, such as the CDT and across Alaska E to W that GPS would be a very useful capability to have along IMO.

Bloodroot
12-17-2004, 07:58
Sounds like a stroke of bad luck if you're out GPS hiking under these snowy conditions and a national crisis occurs. Might be a good idea to carry a map to use for terrain association?

Tim Rich
12-17-2004, 08:27
Sounds like a stroke of bad luck if you're out GPS hiking under these snowy conditions and a national crisis occurs. Might be a good idea to carry a map to use for terrain association?

It may well be the best place to be... :D

Bloodroot
12-17-2004, 08:36
It may well be the best place to be... :D
Yes, very true!

Ridge
12-28-2004, 10:15
It's always good to have a map and compass. I use GPS and Topo SW all the time, but I fight being dependant by just using it as a planning tool. The GPS is very handy when doing off-trail, but dont ever depend on them 100%. I have ruined 2 units from water, and malfuntion, since SA was cut off. I never even considered using a GPS for hiking when SA was in place. GPS was ok for boating and air travel when SA was in place, but not hiking. BTW, GPS is not needed for any AT travel, I do use the available track logs found on the ATC site for planning purposes and for access locations to the trail, very helpful from that standpoint.

weary
12-28-2004, 10:22
A compass is very handy also. I have one imbedded in the cork tip of my homemade (well, at least, home assembled) walking stick.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-28-2004, 10:31
It's always good to have a map and compass. I use GPS and Topo SW all the time, but I fight being dependant by just using it as a planning tool. The GPS is very handy when doing off-trail, but dont ever depend on them 100%. I have ruined 2 units from water, and malfuntion, since SA was cut off. I never even considered using a GPS for hiking when SA was in place. GPS was ok for boating and air travel when SA was in place, but not hiking. BTW, GPS is not needed for any AT travel, I do use the available track logs found on the ATC site for planning purposes and for access locations to the trail, very helpful from that standpoint.
:-? Having used almost all of the "old fashioned" navigation tools for land, air and sea navigation over the past 30 years, I was overcome with joy when GPS was introduced. Even with SA the 30 meter accuracy (I think) was really a huge step up in accuracy. I'd still be happy with a SA fix if I was a bit confused about my position in the woods. I wouldn't want to rely on a GPS fix even with SA off and WAAS enabled, to tell me I was one step from the edge of a cliff, but maybe that's just me.

Ridge
12-29-2004, 11:37
....Even with SA the 30 meter accuracy (I think) was really a huge step up in accuracy ....
I had borrowed a GPS prior to the SA being discontinued. I had a lot of trouble trying to use it from one day to the next, because everything changed around again. I would leave the GPS at home if it became active again. I know a guy in canada in some big wilderness who used it just to locate mountains or large items. The SA made the variation so great that it basically is useless (my opinion) for foot travel in dense or mountainous type areas. Would be OK in desert or lightly dense areas, just as it was for water and air navigation. The other problems with the GPS units is that the reception is bad or at least spotty in dense and mountainous terrain. When carrying a GPS I usually keep it turned off until I need to mark a waypoint or get a compass bearing. I do hope anyone who does use a GPS understands the "wrap" of the tracklogs and learn to use waypoints as a means of getting back. Anyone who gets one needs to experiment a lot before depending on one in unknown terrain. And the most important thing to remember is to always set a Waypoint where your car is parked.

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 11:42
Good post. A GPS makes navigation easier, but it does not magically navigate for you. Even without the SA it is a good idea to know how to read a map and understand search patterns, resection, intersection, hand railing, terrain association, and a lot of other little skills to stay on track. Personally when I use my GPS it is like a watch, I have a plan how to get where I am going, then occasionally I use the GPS to check to see if I am on course. There have been some examples of deaths caused by GPS in the Army when people try to steer by it and ignore their surroundings. Driving off cliffs, driving into rivers, driving into minefields, etc.