PDA

View Full Version : The only thing I don't like about hiking alone....

10-K
12-02-2010, 18:00
I almost always hike alone and really I prefer it because I can hike according to my own schedule, stopping and going when I want, etc. Evidently I'm not alone in this - I know many hikers who feel the same way.

But, the only thing I don't like about hiking alone is that when I see something incredible there's no one to share it with.

Late yesterday I decided to do an overnighter on the section between Spivey's Gap and Erwin. I started at 5:00 pm and just as I finished the climb out of the gap I witnessed one of the most incredible sunsets I've ever seen. The mountains were covered with snow and the sun was hitting it just right that made them sparkle and the sky was a purplish red. It was so awesome I had an emotional reaction. The only bummer was there was no one to share it with. :(

tiptoe
12-02-2010, 18:02
Not to worry, now you've shared it with us.

HiKen2011
12-02-2010, 18:12
Thats the main reason I prefer to hike with someone, Its much more enjoyable to share the experience with someone! Thanks for sharing.

HiKen2011 :)

canoehead
12-02-2010, 18:21
That's what I call Soul food and it was meant for you. But you could bring a camera I guess. That's what I do.....

woodsy
12-02-2010, 18:23
But, the only thing I don't like about hiking alone is that when I see something incredible there's no one to share it with.
Tough luck for them IMO

Pringles
12-02-2010, 18:32
That's what I call Soul food and it was meant for you. But you could bring a camera I guess. That's what I do.....

I like that. It's a nice way to think about it.

Pringles.

Cabin Fever
12-02-2010, 18:42
I explain it as "church in the woods" to my wife.

Rain Man
12-02-2010, 19:09
Where's the magnificent photo, which you can share with us"!!! ;)

Rain:sunMan

10-K
12-02-2010, 19:18
These moments just that happen out of the blue - it's not really something you can capture and save - there's an emotional response to what I'm seeing that just begs to be shared with someone. Sort of as a witness or something.. it's hard to describe but I bet you all know what I'm talking about.

mudhead
12-02-2010, 19:43
The cachet goes up exponentially when you can fuss over it together. Even if it is a stranger, who is no longer a stranger after looking at whatever with you.

I like the sound of running water. Especially in the Spring. Try explaining that verbally.:)

Cookerhiker
12-02-2010, 20:22
How about sharing a sound as well as a sight?

On my last backpacking trip (Susquehannock Trail in PA) the day my hiking partner dropped out, I'm walking on a gradual descent in a mixed forest of hemlocks & hardwoods when I heard the sound first: an alarming crrrraaaaack. Looked to my left about 20' off the trail and found the source - a tree had snappedabout 4' up from the ground and was starting to come down almost in slow motion with the crack coming to a crescendo.

I could see it was falling parallel to the trail so I wasn't in any danger. It made a resounding thud. I'd estimate it was about 8-10" diameter - not the largest but no small sapling. The wood was such a clean white i.e. not rotten or dead hence the cracking sound it made. I wonder what caused it?

Would have been nice to share with someone. But at least we know it made a sound because I was there to hear it!

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 20:41
spivy gap is allways that beautiful. in snow especialy. maby due to the proximity of miss janet. maby its spivy. maby its the weirdos in the house that have the menue on the post there. its beautiful. but being alone is better. nite and morning are for comradery. the hiking hours are a meditation . after many lone daylights , a walk with another one day or two a week makes for fun. but every day with your friends gets in the way of the deeper fun. save up alone hours and splurge on companion hours. their the zeros of the days of hiking. being with friends ,like zeros, you get less done. being alone , like a diet, you loose the weight of the world. somthing harder when in company. no matter how fun. company will wait. your need to loose the noise, thats pricless. i suggest calling geico and ask about our lone hiker insurance. geico can save you money on hiker insurance . and now we offer stove,bag and pack insurance. insure your hike. geico.lol.

TheChop
12-02-2010, 20:43
I agree with you. I love hiking alone but it does suck getting back home and telling a story of something remarkable that happened and all you get is sort of a blank stare from the person you're telling.

CrumbSnatcher
12-02-2010, 21:00
usually liked to hike alone with my dog and maybe meet up with people at the end of the day
i never felt alone with my dog with me. she didn't talk much, but she was great company :)

Kerosene
12-02-2010, 21:14
But, the only thing I don't like about hiking alone is that when I see something incredible there's no one to share it with.Exactly. I actually prefer to walk alone, but to hike with someone else where we meet up periodically for views, rest breaks, meals, etc.

JEBjr
12-02-2010, 21:24
Hiking alone, never... I must share all knowledge of hiking gear. :)

Carbo
12-02-2010, 21:27
I agree with you. I love hiking alone but it does suck getting back home and telling a story of something remarkable that happened and all you get is sort of a blank stare from the person you're telling.

You are so right on! And I imagine this may be partially why so many thru-hikers are a bit depressed when the hike is over. No one at home could ever get what the hike experience was like.

Even when asked "How was the hike?", my response is "awesome" and I leave it at that. If more questions come, then I open up.

kayak karl
12-02-2010, 21:43
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me alone.

ChinMusic
12-02-2010, 21:54
The other day I got invited to a shelter
But I stayed in my tent instead
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker
And his brothers Black and Red
And we hike alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I hike alone
I prefer to be by myself

kayak karl
12-02-2010, 22:06
The other day I got invited to a shelter
But I stayed in my tent instead
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker
And his brothers Black and Red
And we hike alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I hike alone
I prefer to be by myself
any GEORGE THOROGOOD ref is great. saw him at the jersey shore in the 70's

Del Q
12-02-2010, 22:14

Brave post

Kudos to you........should be around Erwin in a year or two..........I'll buy the 1st beer?

Feel your feelings. I have felt the same EXACT way, in fact, my journal entries seem to mean less because it is me and only me as it relates to my/our AT experiences.

Still all good..............just different and more private, which in a way is more powerful.

Opposite thinking.
We get to connect with the person we have spent the most time with in our lives, our own self!

DBT fan
12-02-2010, 22:18

I heard you, bro. Either you get it or you don't. somethings just can't be explained to another person.

sbhikes
12-02-2010, 23:03
The thing is, I don't know if the emotional response would be so immense if someone else were there. What I always wished for is that my boyfriend could be here alone, too, so that we could share the entire experience, including the aloneness, the solitude.

10-K
12-03-2010, 08:25
The thing is, I don't know if the emotional response would be so immense if someone else were there. What I always wished for is that my boyfriend could be here alone, too, so that we could share the entire experience, including the aloneness, the solitude.

Interesting that you say that - the first person I usually think of is my wife.

Shutterbug
12-03-2010, 10:34
... The only bummer was there was no one to share it with. :(

That is why my trailname is "shutterbug." I always carry a camera so that I can share the beauty of nature -- especially the animals.

10-K
12-03-2010, 11:11
That is why my trailname is "shutterbug." I always carry a camera so that I can share the beauty of nature -- especially the animals.

That's about as good as can be done. Like a lot of hikers, I have a few thousand pictures I've taken up and down the trail. They're mainly things that, when I look at the picture, serve as a reminder for what I was doing when I was in that spot - a visual journal of sorts.

What I regret is not having someone to share the actual photo op moment with.

MkBibble
12-03-2010, 11:23

Exactly what happens to me. I noticed while reading AWOL a couple weeks ago that he did a MUCH better job describing what he saw, and the emotions associated with it, than I ever could. So, I marked the section of the book that matched the section I had just finished, and gave it to my wife to read. I think it helped...

And, even though there is nobody to share it with, I still prefer hiking alone. That really surprised me the first time I did it. I thought it would be boring, but I was very wrong. I agree with Matthewski (I think...), that nights and mornings are nice to share with friends.

fiddlehead
12-03-2010, 15:53
I agree with the OP (to a point. )

Yes, the moments come that you'd like to talk about with someone.
But, on the other hand. Many of those moments wouldn't come if you were with someone. (I'm thinkin of times when i was 8' from an elk or the owl that came to watch the northern lights with me, etc.)

There are only a few hikers who I can really enjoy hiking with.
THey must be close to my pace and they must see eye to eye with me on things like LNT, early riser, enjoying bushwhacking at least as much as following a trail, etc.

Too many times i've hiked with others and they have done more to ruin my experience than add to it.

But there are those few who I would hike anywhere with.

Graywolf
12-03-2010, 16:34
I agree with fiddlehead. There are moments that are meant for you and you alone. If you had your partner, you would have missed that moment.

Several years ago, I was hiking in Central Texas and as I was coming up the top of a ridge, there stood an 8 point buck. Hugh.. My friend was in camp. The sight just blew me away as we stood there just looking at each other. I walked slowly to within 10 feet of him then he walked off down the other side of the ridge.

had my friend been there, I never would have caught that moment of time. My heart swells everytime I think about it..

Cosmo
12-03-2010, 20:03
The view was for you 10-K. If it was for someone else, they would have been there.

Cosmo

Many Walks
12-03-2010, 21:06
How about sharing a sound as well as a sight?

On my last backpacking trip (Susquehannock Trail in PA) the day my hiking partner dropped out, I'm walking on a gradual descent in a mixed forest of hemlocks & hardwoods when I heard the sound first: an alarming crrrraaaaack. Looked to my left about 20' off the trail and found the source - a tree had snappedabout 4' up from the ground and was starting to come down almost in slow motion with the crack coming to a crescendo.

I could see it was falling parallel to the trail so I wasn't in any danger. It made a resounding thud. I'd estimate it was about 8-10" diameter - not the largest but no small sapling. The wood was such a clean white i.e. not rotten or dead hence the cracking sound it made. I wonder what caused it?

Would have been nice to share with someone. But at least we know it made a sound because I was there to hear it!
A similar thing happened to my wife and I in the GSMNP. The peace and quiet of the morning in the forest was suddenly interrupted with a huge crack and commotion a little ahead of us. We weren't real sure what it was. About ten minutes later we came upon a 3' diameter tree that must have been weakened by lightning and fell right across the trail. Naturally the first thing we thought of was how lucky the timing was being so close, but what really stood out to us was how amazingly loud it was when it happened. One of the many events we thought was pretty cool to be able to share on the trail. We're always reminding each other of things that happened like that when we're hiking. Just good memories.

johnnybgood
12-03-2010, 21:35
The most amazing double Rainbow was one I shared with my wife while yellow blazing in Shenandoah Nat'l Park some twenty years ago. A shared lifetime experience that is akin to having doubles memories that never die .

Cutty
12-03-2010, 22:51
i like hiking alone during the day. but at night i am ready to share
my evenings with other hikers. there is nothing any more dissappointing
than coming to a place that you know you are going to stay and not
have anyone their to share the night with. so disappointing. its good to
share with others that you hike with the acquaintances that you have
made during the day with other hikers you have met along the trail also.
may we all have company at night!!!
cutty, section hiker

Sly
12-03-2010, 23:05
I dunno...

Can you share a beautiful scene or sunset with someone any more than look at a piece of art and have the same enjoyment? As an example, I remember asking a buddy about the awesome sunset we "shared" at the Priest overlook a few years after and they were like, huh!?

Most of my trail experiences are meant for, and appreciated by one person.

trailangelbronco
12-03-2010, 23:05
The only thing I hate about hiking alone is when I am in Grizzly country and am alone in my tent at night. Every little noise I think I'm about to get eaten alive....

ChinMusic
12-04-2010, 01:41
The only thing I hate about hiking alone is when I am in Grizzly country and am alone in my tent at night. Every little noise I think I'm about to get eaten alive....
Ear plugs........

leaftye
12-04-2010, 01:48

I'm usually the same way. I prefer to hike alone. I do prefer always having people to camp with though. While I think I prefer to hike alone, probably my most fun time hiking this year was with someone else. It was about what we didn't see though. It was raining and we were socked in by clouds and climbing into the mountains. As we got to every outcrop that must have surely been a glorious view, we shouted our admiration, and then we turned to where we thought the top of the mountain was and told it we were still coming strong. It was dumb, even childish, but it was so much fun.

Maybe some time I'll see a double rainbow.

leaftye
12-04-2010, 01:50
Ear plugs........

If only. My hearing is still good enough that I can still hear plenty. And I do wear them correctly. I ride a naked motorcycle. I need to know how to use them properly to keep my hearing. I think it's that I hear next to nothing, and then a little something breaks through...

A windy night is sometimes best. It overwhelms my senses. Eventually I get tired of it all and fall asleep.

Smile
12-04-2010, 07:25
These moments just that happen out of the blue - it's not really something you can capture and save - there's an emotional response to what I'm seeing that just begs to be shared with someone. Sort of as a witness or something.. it's hard to describe but I bet you all know what I'm talking about.

Sure do, you've got it right....and those can be the best moments :)

yari
12-04-2010, 09:12
I like the sound of running water. Especially in the Spring. Try explaining that verbally.:)

You don't have to, I know exactly what you mean.

Water draws me like iron filings to a magnet.

yari
12-04-2010, 09:21
The view was for you 10-K. If it was for someone else, they would have been there.

Cosmo

I really like this way of looking at it. Makes alot of spiritual sense to me.

Walk Man John
12-04-2010, 10:54
In May of this year, I started my first section hike with a friend NOBO from Damascus..After the first day my friend dropped out...I had prepared for everything but being alone. At first it was pretty neat, and I was at Lost Mountain a few hours after striking out alone.., good company there. The third day, the climb to Thomas Knob was brutal, but spectacular..& I really missed having company up there. To me having someone to provide encouragement would have been helpful up there, & to have someone to share that scenery with would hve been priceless, not to mention the safety aspect of having a fellow hiker(I'm 69)..if I fell with a 35lb pack on, I would hve been in real trouble..After the 4th day ,I hitched a ride into Troutdale & ended my hike..not to do that alone again..

Tenderheart
12-04-2010, 11:43
I almost always hike alone and really I prefer it because I can hike according to my own schedule, stopping and going when I want, etc. Evidently I'm not alone in this - I know many hikers who feel the same way.

Late yesterday I decided to do an overnighter on the section between Spivey's Gap and Erwin. I started at 5:00 pm and just as I finished the climb out of the gap I witnessed one of the most incredible sunsets I've ever seen. The mountains were covered with snow and the sun was hitting it just right that made them sparkle and the sky was a purplish red. It was so awesome I had an emotional reaction. The only bummer was there was no one to share it with. :(

I'm sure you already know how lucky you are to live so close to be able to do what you do.

litefoot 2000

10-K
12-04-2010, 13:47
I'm sure you already know how lucky you are to live so close to be able to do what you do.

litefoot 2000

I do, and I'm very grateful life has sent me this way.

It's funny in a way, we found Erwin and bought property less than 3 miles from the AT before I ever stepped foot on the AT or went hiking.

10-K
12-04-2010, 13:48
I really like this way of looking at it. Makes alot of spiritual sense to me.

Me too... Lots of different ways of looking at things. This is a keeper.

stranger
12-06-2010, 03:36
I love hiking alone but what about the boogie man? I mean especially with tarps, we all know the boogie man cannot work zippers, but with a tarp he can get to you.

Carbo
12-06-2010, 09:40
I love hiking alone but what about the boogie man? I mean especially with tarps, we all know the boogie man cannot work zippers, but with a tarp he can get to you.

Best way to deal with the boogie man is to stand up, look him straight in the eye, and say, "bring it on".

Old Hiker
12-06-2010, 14:17
Best way to deal with the boogie man is to stand up, look him straight in the eye, and say, "bring it on".

Won't work - usually, it's at night and he's already snuck (sneaked?) in and stolen your flashlight batteries! Best to keep your eyes tightly shut - you can't see him, he can't find you! :eek:

cbeaves
12-06-2010, 22:34
One reason I don't like to hike alone is because there is no one to laugh at you when you fall...

DuctTape
12-08-2010, 08:09

This is when I like to extend my arm and give a big smile to the camera. I have a lot of pictures like that.

nitewalker
12-08-2010, 09:02

your telling me that the boogieman roams the trail at nite! im usually worried about the freakin yeti!!!!:D