PDA

View Full Version : Interactive AT Map with mile markers, shelters and parking lots!

nhinze
12-02-2010, 20:43
Planning your next Appalachian Trail Adventure? TrailHeadFinder.Com can help! Use the AT interactive map to map the AT route, locate shelters, get driving directions to trail parking lots, measure distances with the mile markers, and display a localized elevation profile!

Check it out at: http://www.trailheadfinder.com/long_distance_trail/appalachian_trail

Nick,

Carl in FL
04-28-2011, 13:16
Thank you. In conjunction with Google Earth, which wants to crash a lot lately (what with the 6.0 update), I am finding this helpful. However, compared to the data in the parking PDF from the ATC, trailheadfinder seems to be using smaller miles than the rest of the country.

Wayah Crest Picnic Area parking is at 113.5 per the ATC.
Wayah Crest Picnic Area parking is at 116.6 per TrailHeadFinder.com

It's no biggie, I'll just take smaller steps.

Cheers,
Carl

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 07:03
This data is for entertainment purposes only and should not be used for planning and navigation.

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 07:04
I've climbed Mt Katahdin and I would have sworn it's higher than 1177 feet.

gearfreak
04-29-2011, 08:07
Here's something of real value for hike planning - AT-TOPO (http://www.at-topo.com/)

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 08:43
Nothing seems accurate. Looked at it for less than one minute (literally) and found more than 2+ errors. Wouldn't trust it.

Sounds like hes about to ask for a donation after the whole 'pitch' :D

max patch
04-29-2011, 08:49
I've climbed Mt Katahdin and I would have sworn it's higher than 1177 feet.

...and the Bear Mtn Bridge is lower than 484 feet.

renais
04-29-2011, 08:50
I looked at the AT-TOPO site and could not tell what the format of the purchased product is. Are the maps a set of PDF files, or HTML, or some other electronic file that can be displayed on a smart phone? Are the maps suitable for printing? Does a black and white print of a map show up the details well? If anyone has experience with this product, I' d be interested in hearing about it. I have the centerline AT gps data, and listings of water, shelter and road crossing coordinates. Does AT-TOPO provide a way to load this kind of info into a gps?
Thanks

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 09:25
I looked at the AT-TOPO site and could not tell what the format of the purchased product is. Are the maps a set of PDF files, or HTML, or some other electronic file that can be displayed on a smart phone? Are the maps suitable for printing? Does a black and white print of a map show up the details well? If anyone has experience with this product, I' d be interested in hearing about it. I have the centerline AT gps data, and listings of water, shelter and road crossing coordinates. Does AT-TOPO provide a way to load this kind of info into a gps?
Thanks

If you already have a GPS I would check out this site first:

http://guymott.com/atgps.html

Carl in FL
04-29-2011, 10:02
Everything is life is strictly for entertainment purposes....

I am looking at the AT using Google Earth. I have the centerline, shelter
and parking lot files installed, and I am attempting to identify every point
along the way that has some sort of practical vehicular access, from RV to
4-Wheel drive. What I would like to do is identify points of interest as miles
from Springer Mtn.

I was thinking there is probably some way to use the centerline data to
accomplish this but I don't know how. So when I found the TrailHeadFinder
site that did have mile markers, I found it useful. Just slightly off from the
ATC data.

If I am re-inventing the wheel you could direct me to the location of such
data, or let me continue along, as I enjoy doing this sort of thing. All I
need is one thing I can trust to be right. I don't want to find out I am
using bum data when I end up at Mt. Rushmore instead.

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 10:33
Sorry if this is a dumb question but where did you get the centerline, shelter
and parking lot files at? And how do you upload them into GE?

Rain Man
04-29-2011, 10:35
Why would anyone not simply use the ATC's own inter-active map, showing shelters, parking, and etc? (If you can deal with the fact that the new ATC web site pretty much sucks. Sorry, I love the ATC, but it's true.)

ATC's own inter-active trail map (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike)

Rain:sunMan

Carl in FL
04-29-2011, 11:29
Rain Man: I do miss the mile markers there. I like to have a reference.

88 BlueGT: Files are attached. Unzip and click on the kmz file. That should
both open up GE and install into your temp area. Be sure to save them.

The files are (supposedly) the corrected files.

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 16:08
^^^ Thank you!!

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 16:23
Why would anyone not simply use the ATC's own inter-active map, showing shelters, parking, and etc? (If you can deal with the fact that the new ATC web site pretty much sucks. Sorry, I love the ATC, but it's true.)

ATC's own inter-active trail map (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike)

Rain:sunMan

Great post. Extremely helpful.