PDA

View Full Version : Cresta Hikers?

walkin' wally
12-02-2010, 20:53
Re; LL Bean Cresta Hikers

Anyone with weak rolling ankles using these heavy boots any more?

Grampie
12-03-2010, 10:09
I now own a pair. I did not use them during my thru but I hike with them now. Probably got 250 miles on them and I like them.:sun

swamp dawg
12-03-2010, 10:21
Great boot that gives a lot of ankle support but a bit heavy. I was really glad to have them when I got caught in a heavy snow in the Smokies one spring. I used them for several years on the AT on different section hikes and still use them for work around the yard. swamp dawg

Tabasco
12-03-2010, 11:07
I love my Crestas. They are a bit heavy, but I haven't had a moments trouble out of them. But, if / when I do, they are LL Bean, send them back and they will fix them or send me new ones.

WalkinHome
12-03-2010, 14:12
Hey Wally, that is all I hike and work on the trail in. Love em love em love em. Sweet break in (almost none) a bit pricey and a bit heavy but IMHO worth it for this old man. See you in April in Framington.

walkin' wally
12-03-2010, 16:57
Hey Wally, that is all I hike and work on the trail in. Love em love em love em. Sweet break in (almost none) a bit pricey and a bit heavy but IMHO worth it for this old man. See you in April in Framington.

The near zero break in was a plus for me, I have two pairs. I guess I will use the second pair as a back up if the first ones wear out. I assume they will in 2000 miles.

I am finally going to thru hike this March, reservations all made, so I guess I will miss the MATC meeting this year. At least I hope so. :D

Wally

WalkinHome
12-04-2010, 11:01
The near zero break in was a plus for me, I have two pairs. I guess I will use the second pair as a back up if the first ones wear out. I assume they will in 2000 miles.

I am finally going to thru hike this March, reservations all made, so I guess I will miss the MATC meeting this year. At least I hope so. :D

Wally

I had my second pair sent to West Point (Bear Mountain Bridge area) and that was the limit of my old ones. I even used some sort of extra, paint on covering (via a bump box) on the toe cap to help resist all the scuffing with limited success. My hiking partner, Wacky-Jackie changed hers out at Delaware Water Gap at the church hostel. Good luck!!

Mr. Clean
12-04-2010, 12:07
I have a pair and loved them, but they were heavy. I now mostly use the Beans mtn treads, mid-height.

dana2k
12-04-2010, 18:14
i thru hiked this year and mine made it the whole way to maine in one piece. despite PA's best efforts. the tread is gone now so i really need to replace them. love them and they still keep my feet dry.