PDA

View Full Version : will the appalachian trail one day be the new coast?

mweinstone
12-02-2010, 22:55
what do sea level rise predictions show about the future of the trail? will it be the new coast? will we hike with salt spray? will clingmans dome be loking out over the atlantic?

Don H
12-02-2010, 23:30
Depends on if Al Gore can stop global warming by selling enough Carbon Credits;)

sheepdog
12-02-2010, 23:32
nope..............

Lone Wolf
12-02-2010, 23:40
what do sea level rise predictions show about the future of the trail? will it be the new coast? will we hike with salt spray? will clingmans dome be loking out over the atlantic?

of course. i knew this at birth

couscous
12-02-2010, 23:41
If the sea level rose 345' Florida would be covered.. at 535' Louisiana and all of Harpers Ferry including the ATC Headquarters would be covered. At that point most A.T. thru-hikers would be purchasing packrafts (https://www.alpackaraft.com/store/index.cfm?ProductID=66&do=detail) for the multi-mile wide river crossings.

RockDoc
12-02-2010, 23:50
Sea level rise predictions are based on assuming that sea level will rise.
Just like global warming predictions are based on global warming.
Computers programed to give a predetermined outcome (often by people who make their living off the results).
Nothing to do with reality.
Some would say "the greatest hoax in the history of science"
I tend to agree
RockDoc (PhD in geology)

Spokes
12-03-2010, 03:25
Looks like my friend matty wants to know if he should buy a pair of gaiters......

Bucherm
12-03-2010, 04:48
RockDoc (PhD in geology)

This gives you credibility in meterology and various climate related disciplines?

I just ask, because I know of a dude with a PhD in Astronomy who uses that to give credibility to 9/11 conspiracy theories.

TheTwanger
12-03-2010, 05:18
Depends on if Al Gore can stop global warming by selling enough Carbon Credits;)

Yup yup... There is no questioning the fact that the earth heats and cools occasionally. The problem with the "man made global warming crisis" claim is that it bases its accusation on carbon levels. Carbon levels and heat are definitely correlative, but the studies I've read conclude carbon levels follow heat and not vice versa. I'm not saying humans aren't destroying the earth, we very well are but the morons most responsible for ruining our earth with their thievery, war, and perhaps most of all brainwashing are always the ones who pose as our protectors. The global warming bandwagon is nothing but a fear mongering tool pushed through the actors (example, Al Gore) by the real people on top who are bankrolling worldwide politics have something to gain through global carbon taxes (example, more control, more redistribution of wealth:mad:).
Now, with that off of my chest I can respond to the original question... Who knows whether the world will heat or cool? The entire history of our species has existed in one of the world's warm spells. As much as I would love some oceanfront property here in Tennessee:sun ,and as much as I love warm weather I think rockdoc has it right. Computer programs say what you tell them to. It's alright though besides, I look forward to hiking the Florida trail some day.

Graywolf
12-03-2010, 05:25
Ok I must chime in. look at all the topo maos for the U.S. The napa valley of California would be under water. The coast line if Teaxs would extend to the DFW metroplex, Florida would be underwater as would most of the east coast exzcept the mountains.. Hmmmm.. WEll, we could always make other trails and do a Appalachian Caostal Hike. What do you thing??

Bucherm
12-03-2010, 05:26
The global warming bandwagon is nothing but a fear mongering tool pushed through the actors (example, Al Gore) by the real people on top who are bankrolling worldwide politics have something to gain through global carbon taxes (example, more control, more redistribution of wealth:mad:).

"The real people on top". Ha. Your thesis is that a bunch of academics who have to beg money off the government for studies wield more power than the energy industry?

stumpknocker
12-03-2010, 07:42
It's alright though besides, I look forward to hiking the Florida trail some day.

I look forward to hiking the Florida Trail some day too.....again. :)

The two main swamp walks on the FNST are still some of the most memorable backpacking I've ever done!!

warraghiyagey
12-03-2010, 08:46
This gives you credibility in meterology and various climate related disciplines?

I just ask, because I know of a dude with a PhD in Astronomy who uses that to give credibility to 9/11 conspiracy theories.
Hahaha. . . you can almost here the words "and I should know because I'm a doctor. . "

:p