PDA

View Full Version : Honey Buns

Chop
12-03-2010, 16:35
Hoping someone with some nutritional knowledge/expertise can jump in.

I picked up a Honey Bun in the convenience store today. It was 38 cents, and packed a whopping 480 calories.

I'd love to hear some arguments against not eating these to get cheap calories when in town on a thru hike.

Luddite
12-03-2010, 17:00
Honey bun no good for you

the goat
12-03-2010, 17:03
Hoping someone with some nutritional knowledge/expertise can jump in.

I picked up a Honey Bun in the convenience store today. It was 38 cents, and packed a whopping 480 calories.

I'd love to hear some arguments against not eating these to get cheap calories when in town on a thru hike.

i would argue for eating something big, heavy & full of calories while in town (read: gigantic steak, potatoes & beer).

then throw the honey buns in your pack for cheap calories on the trail. i carried them most of the trail.

Blissful
12-03-2010, 17:07
Genuine junk food. I ate them on the trail. They were the only item at breakfast that lasted beyond an hour before I was starving again. At a trail magic stop I had three of them. Boy did I hike well after that! But I would only eat them after you have been hiking for many weeks and have a better metabolism to digest the fat and carbs. And then say good-bye to the junk when you get back home. I miss Dunkin Donuts :)

kayak karl
12-03-2010, 17:34
in the winter i would cut in half and make a peanut-butter + raisin sandwich. or sprincle a pack of oatmeal on the peanut-butter.

Miner
12-03-2010, 17:35
Those are good. I also loved Little Debbie snacks like those nutty bars. Then again, I also loved eating those Fruit Pies for breakfast. How I wish I could still eat some of those trail foods at home and not gain weight. However, on the trail, they are good fat and carb calories. If you want nutrition pack out some fruit to go with it.

CrumbSnatcher
12-03-2010, 17:42
never really got tired of GOOD honey buns
snicker bars came close :)

Cabin Fever
12-03-2010, 18:15
I work at Mckee Foods which makes Little Debbie Honey Buns. I could eat 10 every day if I wanted to, but I don't.

We just started making a Jumbo Honey Bun. It's the Porterhouse of honey buns. My heart hurts looking at it.

Slo-go'en
12-03-2010, 18:34
A steady diet of Honey buns is no good for you, but on the trial , they really get you moving in the morning. I'll have to look for the new jumbo buns. I usually try to find the iced buns, they run about 600 calories and last at least 5 miles before the crash.

Deadeye
12-03-2010, 18:37
I love honey buns and pop tarts, but they're an occassional treat. Junk food is junk food, on trail or off.

DapperD
12-03-2010, 19:49
Although foods like this are tempting, and probably OK once in a while, I wouldn't want to make it a main staple of my diet. Baked cookies and cakes, pies, etc... are fattening and not really healthy. And nowadays, unfortunately, trans-fats have entered into the equation. These fats are preferred by commercial food companies because they cause their products to stay fresher longer (increased shelf life) resulting in more money for the seller and manufacturer in the long run, with possibly also less overall cost to manufacture. Trans-fats, and partially hydrogenated fats are not healthy, and it is not good to consume them too often:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

Smile
12-04-2010, 08:12
Bring a good toothbrush, I don't know how many folks go to bed with a mouthful of sugar, but if you're on an LDHike, this can get to your tooth...I mean teeth. :)

moytoy
12-04-2010, 08:55
I walk 7-10 miles almost every day...sometimes on a trail sometime not but as soon as I'm done I eat two honey buns with a dark chocolate bar. On days I don't walk I don't get the buns and choc. Yum.. I think I'm gonna go walk now!
As far as nutrition goes it's sugar, carbs and fat. It's probably not the best food to be eating for anyone but if you are overweight with high cholesterol this is not for you.

restless
12-04-2010, 16:58
I work at Mckee Foods which makes Little Debbie Honey Buns. I could eat 10 every day if I wanted to, but I don't.

We just started making a Jumbo Honey Bun. It's the Porterhouse of honey buns. My heart hurts looking at it.

Talk about a hikers dream job!!!!

Miner
12-04-2010, 17:44
I wonder if they would sponsor hikers? It would be cool to get a regular supply box from them full of high calorie tasty goodness on the trail. You'd instantly become the most popular guy in the shelter.

Stir Fry
12-04-2010, 19:31
I'm doing a section in spring breakfest is always a problem for me I'll have to give Honey buns a try. I do not normaly eat them but I do like them.

runfifty
12-04-2010, 19:37
I'd eat a 6 pack of these for breakfast on the trail when I could get them. Yum! "If the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn."

daddytwosticks
12-04-2010, 20:00
Try the fried fruit pies...real popular down south here. The Krispy Kream apple are my favorite. :)

Smile
12-05-2010, 05:51
LOL flashback to wacky cards :) !
Thanks for that....

Wise Old Owl
12-06-2010, 18:59
Yea, one should not Google images "Honeybuns" without the filter on.... I didn't know it's a Pregnant thing.

Tennessee Viking
12-06-2010, 19:06

How big?

Tell them make a jumbo-sized Fudge Road, Star Crunch.

Odd Man Out
12-06-2010, 21:15

At 480 cal/$0.38 you are getting 1260 cal per dollar.

My 18 oz jar of store brand peanut butter in the cupboard costs $1.99
At 200 cal for 32 g, I am getting 1600 calories per dollar.
Or if you would rather, I am only paying 30 cents for 480 calories.
And for that I get a lot of fiber and potassium, and a bunch of other vitamins and minerals (you get none).
I get much more unsaturated (including omega 3) fat and protein.
You do get a lot more sugar and cholesterol.
Your 480 calories weight about 0.25 lbs. My 480 cal only weighs 0.17 lbs
My 18 oz jar of peanut butter takes up about 0.6 Liters in my pack. The same number of calories of Honey Buns will take up a lot more volume (until they get smashed beyond recognition).

cbeaves
12-06-2010, 22:43
Honey buns were a great high-calorie breakfast or snack ON trail but when in town, I only wanted to eat things that I didn't eat on trail: fresh fruit and veggies, veggie burgers, fries, ice cream...

Chop
12-06-2010, 23:28
At 480 cal/$0.38 you are getting 1260 cal per dollar.

My 18 oz jar of store brand peanut butter in the cupboard costs $1.99
At 200 cal for 32 g, I am getting 1600 calories per dollar.
Or if you would rather, I am only paying 30 cents for 480 calories.
And for that I get a lot of fiber and potassium, and a bunch of other vitamins and minerals (you get none).
I get much more unsaturated (including omega 3) fat and protein.
You do get a lot more sugar and cholesterol.
Your 480 calories weight about 0.25 lbs. My 480 cal only weighs 0.17 lbs
My 18 oz jar of peanut butter takes up about 0.6 Liters in my pack. The same number of calories of Honey Buns will take up a lot more volume (until they get smashed beyond recognition).

Nice... The unsaturated fat is the thing that gives me pause when considering putting down a lot of these on a regular basis.

Miner
12-07-2010, 00:04
My 18 oz jar of store brand peanut butter... Yes, but think of how good it would be to combined the two. My favorite trail snack on the PCT was liberal amounts of peanut butter on my giant size candy bars. When I started doing that in Oregon twice a day (mid morning and after dinner), I actually gained some weight back by trails end.

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2010, 00:58
Expensive Kero and High Fructose Corn Syrup in most PB... I would rather smoke a doobie.

moytoy
12-07-2010, 05:52
Someone will find something bad in anything I eat. The downside of not eating anything with bad stuff in it is that I will starve to death. Bring on the honeybuns and peanut butter.

LoneRidgeRunner
12-07-2010, 07:23
I walk 7-10 miles almost every day...sometimes on a trail sometime not but as soon as I'm done I eat two honey buns with a dark chocolate bar. On days I don't walk I don't get the buns and choc. Yum.. I think I'm gonna go walk now!
As far as nutrition goes it's sugar, carbs and fat. It's probably not the best food to be eating for anyone but if you are overweight with high cholesterol this is not for you.

I walk 11 miles every morning with a 40 pound pack back for conditioning and weight loss..but I try not to eat junk foods..like Honey Buns...etc...It's 19 degrees here in western NC right now and forecast to drop 16 with increasing winds to bring wind chill down to 5 degrees so I'm ready to go now... Mountain Hardwear Tech fleece pants and jacket will be my ward robe today...LOL..

mister krabs
12-07-2010, 09:43
Expensive Kero and High Fructose Corn Syrup in most PB... I would rather smoke a doobie.

PB&D(oob) cookies! The perfect hiker food! :D

Rick500
12-07-2010, 10:06
How big?

Tell them make a jumbo-sized Fudge Road, Star Crunch.

Ahh, Fudge Rounds!

(They do make jumbo Fudge Rounds, by the way.)

Finnguy
12-07-2010, 17:28
I am not a big fan of honey buns but on the trail I could eat a million Clif Bars. But for those of you who like honeybuns:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/150012/Mrs.Freshleys-Jumbo-Honey-Bun-5-Ounce.htm

Spokes
12-07-2010, 17:40
Yep, I too carried mucho Honey Bun's on the trail and never tired of them. When I got into town the first thing I craved was some fresh orange juice quickly followed by a hamburger, steak & cheese sandwich, vegetables, and the like. Oh and beer.....

I recently attended an oyster roast at a neighbors house and they served grilled Krispy Kreme donuts for dessert......... all that sugar made me flash back to the trail!

YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!

Spokes
12-07-2010, 17:42

Why not smoke a doobie soaked in Kero and High Fructose Corn Syrup? Too hard to light huh?

moytoy
12-07-2010, 18:36

hey man.... ...how am I drivin?

Pony
12-07-2010, 18:45
Ahh, Fudge Rounds!

(They do make jumbo Fudge Rounds, by the way.)

Yes, and you can get a box of 12 for $3 at 300 calories apiece. I never leave town without them. As a matter of fact, I rarely leave the grocery store here at home without them. Just got some today actually. The only problem is now I have to squash them down like they've been in my pack to eat them. Just doesn't seem right eating them any other way.

Bronk
12-08-2010, 04:24
If you're burning it, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...doesn't matter if it comes from whole wheat bread and tofu or honeybuns and snickers bars. A nutritionist recently did an experiment...ate nothing but oreos, pop tarts and sugary cereal for 2 months, but limited his caloric intake to 1700 calories a day...he lost about 25 pounds and his cholesterol went down...prior to this unusual diet he was eating whole grains and all that other health food crap...he did it to prove a point and ended up proving something else...

TheChop
12-08-2010, 05:52
The reason we like this type of junk food so much is that it really is just about the perfect food for us as humans.

If you get us out of the cushy surroundings we live in and into the wild where we came from what you get is an animal that spent 95% of their time eating and 5% of their time reproducing and passing on genes. Not surprisingly we evolved to enjoy the hell out of both those activities since a human that didn't enjoy screwing and eating might get distracted smelling flowers and not have his or her gene's passed on. Similarly we evolved to really really crave high calorie foods that had tons of sugar and fat. A caveman that preferred eating grass to a sugar filled apple found himself without energy at the end of the night. We adapted to vastly prefer foods that are sugary and have high calories. Since such foods weren't found in abundance and a caveman spending 95% of his day wandering around looking for food was never in any danger of being obese we never evolved a mechanism to know when enough was enough. The limited supply kept us from overindulging and kept us from evolving a way to not eat ourselves fat.

But on the trail when you spend 95% of your time walking you get back into the metabolism of the caveman. Snickers go from being unhealthy treats into being a near perfect food. Honey buns slightly less so due to where they get their fats from but the idea is relatively the same.

max patch
12-08-2010, 07:41
A few people here could stand to rent and watch "Super Size Me."

TheChop
12-08-2010, 07:50

It's available for free on Hulu.

moytoy
12-08-2010, 08:03

Anybody here or elsewhere could stand to do a self evaluation and be honest with oneself.

Spokes
12-08-2010, 10:33
If you're burning it, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...doesn't matter if it comes from whole wheat bread and tofu or honeybuns and snickers bars. A nutritionist recently did an experiment...ate nothing but oreos, pop tarts and sugary cereal for 2 months, but limited his caloric intake to 1700 calories a day...he lost about 25 pounds and his cholesterol went down...prior to this unusual diet he was eating whole grains and all that other health food crap...he did it to prove a point and ended up proving something else...

Excellent point. BTW, how many vegans have been converted once they hit White House Landing?

walkinthewoods
12-09-2010, 00:10
These are all great suggestions! Cosmic brownies too mmmm

Odd Man Out
12-09-2010, 00:21
If you're burning it, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...doesn't matter if it comes from whole wheat bread and tofu or honeybuns and snickers bars...

For the most part I agree, but there are exceptions. When the low-carb diets were all the craze a few years ago, I read an article in a nutrition journal about the problems associated with diets that rely too heavily on protein. If you cut carbs from your diet, your body must use a lot of energy to make sugar from protein (you can't make sugar from fat). But, if your diet is also low-fat, you also have to catabolize the protein to to provide the energy to make the sugar. But the amount of energy you can get from protein is limited because protein catabolism is not very efficient and at high rates you build up too much nitrogen waste (ammonia and urea).

The bottom line is if you cut out carbs from your diet, you must also supplement with fats. Otherwise, you can't generate enough energy in a day to make the sugar you need. You essentially force you body to utilize a very inefficient metabolism. You can eat all the calories you want but still stave to death. The calorie content of food is determined by burning it in a bomb calorimeter, but the energy you get out of it is determined by how it is metabolized. The protein-only diet is an extreme example when a calorie in your food is not a calorie in your body.

Malnutrition by eating excess protein is sometimes called rabbit starvation syndrome. Because rabbit meat is so lean, early western explorers would eat all the rabbits they wanted yet still starve to death. It seems that these hunters could get all the rabbits they wanted because the rabbits (you guessed it) breed like rabbits.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921