PDA

View Full Version : FYI Jerry's Cabin shelter area

The Cleaner
12-03-2010, 21:58
:sunFYI as to illegal activities,Persons unknown have taken to cutting back live vegetation,last year,from the old section of the AT just north of Jerry's Cabin.The present route of the AT is a late 80's relo off the old jeep road.So these idiots are clearing the old road for ORV&horse use.I know since I walked the old route took pictures&emailed to local USFS.Even called them.Many times in the last few years I have encountered 4 wheelers crusing right past the shelter(see pic in my gallery).So what's the USFS&ATC doing about this?Nothing.They know exactly where the *%#$@*% riders are comming into the area from and won't go out and post any signage,which would quickly dissappear anyway.There use to be a barrier at this point but the redneck ORVers tore it down.I go up to the shelter pretty often just to pack out trash,so I know pretty well what's happening&when.So if any fellow WBers know how to remedy this situstion,now's the time to help bring this to the attention of those who can do something,ie Morgan Sommerville& anyone else .Making a big deal out ofchainsawing a few blowdowns in a wilderness area is a total waste of time.Put down the mouse,get out of the house get out do a little work on the trail.Be seen then be heard.Get off your tail onto the trail take pictures&report illegal activity.USFS District Ranger Terry [email protected]..

Lone Wolf
12-03-2010, 22:03
back in 86 i was at the shelter and 3 and 4 wheelers cruised by all day. the whole area was full of roads. it shoulda stayed that way. damn "gubmint" trail pushes locals away

restless
12-04-2010, 17:02
:sunFYI as to illegal activities,Persons unknown have taken to cutting back live vegetation,last year,from the old section of the AT just north of Jerry's Cabin.

.Making a big deal out ofchainsawing a few blowdowns in a wilderness area is a total waste of time.

They are both illegal activities.

Tennessee Viking
12-04-2010, 18:04
:sunFYI as to illegal activities,Persons unknown have taken to cutting back live vegetation,last year,from the old section of the AT just north of Jerry's Cabin.The present route of the AT is a late 80's relo off the old jeep road.So these idiots are clearing the old road for ORV&horse use.I know since I walked the old route took pictures&emailed to local USFS.Even called them.Many times in the last few years I have encountered 4 wheelers crusing right past the shelter(see pic in my gallery).So what's the USFS&ATC doing about this?Nothing.They know exactly where the *%#$@*% riders are comming into the area from and won't go out and post any signage,which would quickly dissappear anyway.There use to be a barrier at this point but the redneck ORVers tore it down.I go up to the shelter pretty often just to pack out trash,so I know pretty well what's happening&when.So if any fellow WBers know how to remedy this situstion,now's the time to help bring this to the attention of those who can do something,ie Morgan Sommerville& anyone else .Making a big deal out ofchainsawing a few blowdowns in a wilderness area is a total waste of time.Put down the mouse,get out of the house get out do a little work on the trail.Be seen then be heard.Get off your tail onto the trail take pictures&report illegal activity.USFS District Ranger Terry [email protected] will also need to report it to the Carolina Mountain Club. They are the ones that maintain that section.

ATVs are always a problem on the AT around TN/NC. There are lots of road and forest road crossings. I have seen horse and ATV tear up my club's sections.

The AT on Coldspring Mtn basically is an old road. One of the problems with that area is that the USFS allows ATVs, horses, and trucks on/near trail for the annual Shelton dedication. So a lot of locals think they are allowed to ride up there.

One solution with some visual drawbacks would be to be install sustainable stiles or barriers to make it harder for ATVs traffic to access the trail.