PDA

View Full Version : Iphone app

The Cleaner
12-04-2010, 11:04
FYI the iphone app,AccuTerra,has been updated.Some people tried the app,ATTrail,and didn't like it.AccuTerra does work using the iphone's GPS feature.Tried yesterday on Squibb crk trail.The app is in 2 parts,AT north and AT south $1.99 each.The resolution is much greater and even pinpoints things such as shelters and most trails near the AT and all paved roads.While some features are shown w/o names the main thing I like is that you can use it to plot your movement via GPS thus giving you your location on the AT as you move along.It isn't perfect but if you have an iphone spending 2 bucks basically turns your phone into a GPS device.:sun

CinciJP
12-04-2010, 15:34
I wish my carrier had the iPhone. Although, for my hike, I'm considering getting an iPhone on a short-term basis with AT&T, just to have it's functionality.

darkage
12-04-2010, 15:51
Iphone's great, soon as i hit a town i just open up the "around me" app and it tells me everything i need too know within seconds ... I use the ATtrail, also have accuterra installed but have been waiting for the updates ... i'll check them out, thanks for the heads up.

The Cleaner
12-04-2010, 17:43
In my home area I had good reception w/Sprint.Then I got the iphone&ATT and it had crappy reception.A news item in the local paper a few days ago said ATT was upgrading cell sites in the area to include 3G.As it is now here in Greeneville I'm still on the "Edge" network which is not as fast as 3G.I did notice when I was in the moumtains yesterday I did have a better signal.Hopefully ATT might upgrade to more rural areas near the AT in the future.I have heard from many other hikers that Verizion has the best signal on the trail&trail towns....:cool:

dlucy
12-04-2010, 19:46
I'll bite... I'm planning my 2011 thru and the issue of cell phones keeps popping up among my friends. My personal preference is to skip it - seems like just dead weight 99% of the time, plus the charger, and it's a huge intrusion into the solitude of the trail... And yet, it is the modern age, it would be nice to skip maps, and I guess (assuming it's warm enough that the battery works, and I otherwise remember to charge it in town) it would be handy for a connection to the people I care about.

Recommendations? I had thought I could just beg a few minutes off a day-hiker here and there. I don't use the ipod function but I guess that would be nice especially while the days are short. But I find my iPhone fairly heavy just on a day-to-day basis, and reception is (ahem) unreliable.

Worth it? If so, what tricks do you use? I'm torn, but honestly I think the extra weight would be better allocated toward a book.

Rocket Jones
12-04-2010, 20:04
I always carry a cell phone. I turn it off at the trail head and leave it off until my day hike is over, or until evening when I call home for a quick check in with the family (away from others and voice kept low).

It's an emergency tool.

10-K
12-04-2010, 20:49
Recommendations? I had thought I could just beg a few minutes off a day-hiker here and there. I don't use the ipod function but I guess that would be nice especially while the days are short. But I find my iPhone fairly heavy just on a day-to-day basis, and reception is (ahem) unreliable.

Worth it? If so, what tricks do you use? I'm torn, but honestly I think the extra weight would be better allocated toward a book.

Absolutely worth it for me. My phone was off most of the time but it came in very handy calling for rides from the trailhead back to a hostel which I did several times, keeping in touch with my family and touching base with work from time to time - ordered pizza with it twice.

It was infinitely more useful that my headnet.

SouthMark
12-04-2010, 22:09
It was infinitely more useful that my headnet.

Agreed. I hiked Maine the last two summers. I carried a headnet and my iPhone. Used the phone as a camera, to call home, to call for shuttle and to call hostel. Never use the headnet.