PDA

View Full Version : This year or next year?

Tilly
12-04-2010, 18:34
So I hiked the AT in 2009. Afterward, I went back to school to get my bachelor's and I will be finishing this May.

I also work at the univ. I'm going to. It's a good job and I've had the opportunity to learn a lot of new things. Right now I am part time (~25 hrs/wk) but truthfully going full time where I work makes my stomach turn. It's incredibly stressful, understaffed workplace that just added a new department that we're partially responsible for. Also, I would have to start rotating through different night and day shifts every 8 weeks, which doesn't appeal either (part timers do not rotate.)

Anyway, I was planning on working through February of 2012 and then going hiking again. However, lately my b/f (who hiked the AT w/me) has told me that he really, really would like to leave this coming summer. He is working at a job that bores him, and he is really really tired of living in Indiana. I am, too, and I'm looking forward to living in a new state in a few years, but he is at the end of his rope and would like to leave asap.

My hiking plan for 2012 basically involved hiking a bunch of smaller trails for a few months, not one long trail this time. For an abbreviated 2011 hiking plan, I (we) may possibly be able to save enough money to hike the Colorado Trail, Centennial Trail, Superior Hiking Trail, and Isle Royale, along with visiting a few other NP's and places like that.

I guess I am stuck. Every job I've had lately I've had for 1 1/2 years and then quit. This would be the third job that I've done this with if I quit this summer to go hike. I wanted to go full time after school, save some more money, and then quit with 2.5 years under my belt and more money saved. But, the idea of leaving in 7 months does appeal.

What do you guys think?

TheChop
12-04-2010, 19:41
It really depends on your financial situation. I stayed at a place I absolutely hated because of the golden handcuffs. I finally got let go because the job was too demoralizing. I've spent the past two years writing and "finding" myself. I'm going to thru-hike next year. Part of me keeps saying I'm falling behind economic-wise but I'm incredibly lucky in terms of finances. Balancing short term happiness with potential longer term happiness and security is something everyone must deal with.

It's the night rider's lament I guess. (http://www.songlyrics.com/brooks-garth/night-rider-s-lament-lyrics/)

They ain't a gettin' nowhere and they're loosin' their share
They all must be crazy back there

Cause They ain't never seen the Northern Lights
They've never seen a hawk on the wing
They've never seen spring hit the Great Divide
They've never heard ole camp cookie sing

Are the people with respectable jobs losing their share or are the crazy ones out doing unorthodox things like hiking the AT the ones losing their share?