PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for GA in June

SectionHiker2011
12-05-2010, 00:06
I'm planning to hike Springer to NC (or at least Dick's Creek) the week of Memorial Day. What kind of weather/temperatures should I expect end of May/start of June? The closest weather information I can find gives an average high temperature around 80 and an average low temperature in the mid 50's (record low around 40)--does this sound about right? I have short and long sleeved polyester T-shirts, a Driclime windshirt, and will be adding rain gear, so I'm trying to determine whether I'll need any additional clothing. I'm thinking of bring thermal bottoms since I hadn't planned on anything other than shorts, and I've got a 20* bag. I want to be prepared, but not overburdened. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Trailweaver
12-05-2010, 01:47
Sounds good to me. I take thermal unders to sleep in, but you may not need that - depends on what you're comfortable with temp.-wise. Take changes of underwear and you shouldn't need much in the way of outerwear. You are going to get wet - with rain or sweat or both.

daddytwosticks
12-05-2010, 16:38
Not sure what a driclime is but I'd bring some light insulation (100 wt sweater or vest) and don't forget a beanie hat. Good insurance for a cold night. :)

OnlyJohn
12-06-2010, 13:44
Plan on warmer rather than colder weather for Memorial Day.

mister krabs
12-06-2010, 14:23
Hiking late spring with a 20* bag, your only concern is around the campfire. Raingear should be warm enough for that unless it's atypically cold. Have your 100wt thermals on top of your pack so you can leave them in the car.

bigcranky
12-06-2010, 22:22
We hiked that section in the first week of June, and it got below freezing the first night (frost on the tarps.) I had a lightweight synthetic vest and my Driclime windshirt and a 45-F bag and I was freezing. It did warm up after that, with lows in the 40s, but I would think the best thing to do is check the 10-day forecast at NOAA the week before I left.