PDA

View Full Version : Golite Featherlite +40 sleeping bag

django
12-16-2004, 13:29
Hey, does anyone out in Whiteblazeland have a Golite Featherlite + 40 sleeping bag? I have an opportunity to get one at a great price and was just wondering what you all think. Also, how compact will this sleeping bag go? I am wanting to cut back on my pack weight by getting a lighter, more compact, sleeping bag. The sleeping bag that I am currently using takes up almost a third of my pack. By the way, most of my hiking is in the Southern Appalachians. I look forward to any reviews, advice, or general comments that anyone may have. Thanks for your time.

Django

Belew
12-16-2004, 19:26
I don't have the Go Lite Featherlite but I do have a bag you might like. The Western Mountaineering Carabou. It weighs 1lb 5.3oz's and in the stuff sack is 12x6 inches. I think it is rated to 35. Look it up at the western mountaineering site if you don't get the Featherlite.

Footslogger
12-16-2004, 19:36
Curious ...are you thinking of thru-hiking with a 40 degree bag ?? Might be a tad chilly in beginning and again at the end, depending on your start date.

...just an observation.

'Slogger
AT 2003

django
12-16-2004, 20:57
Oh no, Footslogger, this is not for a thru-hike. This is simply for weekend/week-long backpacks in Georgia/NC/Tenn and anyplace within quick driving distance from metro Atlanta. However, thank you for taking the time to point out the limitations of the +40 bag. Perhaps if I would've found whiteblaze oh so many years ago, I would not have spent several COLD JULY NIGHTS in the North Georgia mountains with nothing but a fleece bag liner. Alas, I had to learn the hard way. Which, incidently, is probably why I am trying to replace the bulkiest, heaviest sleeping bag ever produced.

Django

django
12-16-2004, 22:22
Thanks for the advice Belew. I'll keep that in mind if the Golite doesn't work out.

Django