PDA

View Full Version : It's Starting Again...

The Cleaner
12-05-2010, 09:25
I'm pretty much new to WB but in 30 years of Backpacking I've logged a little over 4000 miles.I saw this happen last year on Trail Journals.People ,who haven't backpacked much,get online do some reading and research buy some really good gear and hit the trail.Many of these people don't make Hot Springs many even less and who knows about the ones who don't post their journeys.Hiking the whole trail in one whack is something hard to prepare for ,much more to finish.Would a longtime WBer please post recent statistics as to the percentage of 2000 milers who actually finish in the last few years.I've heard it's less than 20%.I'm not trying to discourage hikers ,they just need to know the cold,hard facts.Might even save some time&money...:eek:

mweinstone
12-05-2010, 09:35
everyone can make it to the completion of a long distance hike. failing is part of it. some learning goes on each time we fail. its a human thing. only .000000000000000001% of us get to the moon. only some get what they reach for. no matter. its the reaching that keeps us limber and freash.

neighbor dave
12-05-2010, 09:55
everyone can make it to the completion of a long distance hike. failing is part of it. some learning goes on each time we fail. its a human thing. only .000000000000000001% of us get to the moon. only some get what they reach for. no matter. its the reaching that keeps us limber and freash.
:-? it has been said that walking is nothing more than a controlled fall, keep on fallin'!

Rocket Jones
12-05-2010, 09:58
If you walk until you don't feel like walking any more, then how is that a failure?

garlic08
12-05-2010, 10:05
...they just need to know the cold,hard facts.

Here are some data: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805579/k.DA92/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm

Completion rates, according to the ATC, are now approaching 30%.

johnnybgood
12-05-2010, 10:26
There's a mental aspect that sometimes gets overlooked. I'm sure there are thru hikers on this site that can attest to that . My section hikes of a week at a time are perfect for me and anything much longer would require more mental fortitude.

So not completing the entire trail in one attempt does not mean that the try was a failure , only that more time is needed for you. You are the only one that can deem yourself a failure , it's subjective .

The Cleaner
12-05-2010, 10:29
Here are some data: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805579/k.DA92/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm

Thanks for the link...I got my info from someone on the trail..Those danged hikers don't .know much...lol...

The Cleaner
12-05-2010, 10:38
IMO..Preparing for a thru hike is kinda like preparing for a trip to the dark side of the moon...you don't know what's there until you get there....don't let my uniformed posts stop ya...:welcome

4shot
12-05-2010, 11:09

at least for me, is that the 70 or 80% become the "silent majority". The people who complete the thru-hikes are willing and able to give advice, whether it be here or at a hiker get-together. Generally (imo) people who do complete a thru-hike have generally a positive spin on the experience and therefore I think paint a rosy picture in the minds of people who haven't done one. It's rare to hear from someone who gets off the trail short of Katahdin,however and I think those people could be just as informative, if not moreso, to the potential thru-hikers than the vocal minority. I think the person contemplating a thru would have a much more balanced perspective on what they are undertaking. I suspect that we don't hear from them because of the "success" or "failure" mindset that can exist around a thru-hike.

I think people focus way too much on the gear aspect in their planning because it (gear) is tangible and creates an illusion of preparing for a thru-hike.

sbhikes
12-05-2010, 11:44
What do you mean save them time and money? You mean they shouldn't even go out there since there's a chance they won't get very far? What about the joy in going out at all? What about learning something about yourself? Just because someone doesn't make it all the way to the end of the trail doesn't mean they should not have gone. Sometimes you have to see what it's all about before you can come back and make a proper go of it. Sometimes you have to see what it's all about so you know it's not for you.

4eyedbuzzard
12-05-2010, 12:46
everyone can make it to the completion of a long distance hike. failing is part of it. some learning goes on each time we fail. its a human thing. only .000000000000000001% of us get to the moon. only some get what they reach for. no matter. its the reaching that keeps us limber and freash. Yep.

If you walk until you don't feel like walking any more, then how is that a failure? It isn't. Just ask Forrest Gump, right? ;)

There's a mental aspect that sometimes gets overlooked. I'm sure there are thru hikers on this site that can attest to that . My section hikes of a week at a time are perfect for me and anything much longer would require more mental fortitude.

So not completing the entire trail in one attempt does not mean that the try was a failure , only that more time is needed for you. You are the only one that can deem yourself a failure , it's subjective . I tried to thru-hike once, back in the 70's - I was just a bit younger. I got bored with hiking and especially with living on the trail, day after day (after day). Some don't. To each his own. I prefer 3 to 5 days, and maybe with some fishing thrown in. But can see myself doing a 2 week hike - perhaps even with a weekend break at a nice motel with pool and hot tub. What can I say, I like soft beds, heat or air conditioning, clean showers, restaurant meals, etc. Guess I'm spoiled...

at least for me, is that the 70 or 80% become the "silent majority". The people who complete the thru-hikes are willing and able to give advice, whether it be here or at a hiker get-together. Generally (imo) people who do complete a thru-hike have generally a positive spin on the experience and therefore I think paint a rosy picture in the minds of people who haven't done one. It's rare to hear from someone who gets off the trail short of Katahdin,however and I think those people could be just as informative, if not moreso, to the potential thru-hikers than the vocal minority. I think the person contemplating a thru would have a much more balanced perspective on what they are undertaking. I suspect that we don't hear from them because of the "success" or "failure" mindset that can exist around a thru-hike.

I think people focus way too much on the gear aspect in their planning because it (gear) is tangible and creates an illusion of preparing for a thru-hike.
The notion of thru-hiking is very "romantic". The reality isn't necessarily so. And some who make a "big deal" out of "succeeding" or "failing" at a thru-hike make it out to be more important than it really is in my opinion. And even for a few, that is all they have in life in the way of success. In a way, I feel sorry for them - there is a LOT more to life than hiking. For me, and I'm not criticing those who feel otherwise, things like completing college, succeeding in a career, having a family, raising children, public service, etc. are far more important than walking from GA to ME. To me, a thru-hike is nothing more than a 6 month vacation doing what someone wants to do. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a selfish personal pleasure, and shouldn't be made out to be more than it really is. As with people who climb Mt. Everest, or sail around the world etc., I recognize the committment, effort, etc. that goes into it, but I can't put it up there in the same league with the other accomplishments I listed. HYOH and LYOL (live your own life).

What do you mean save them time and money? You mean they shouldn't even go out there since there's a chance they won't get very far? What about the joy in going out at all? What about learning something about yourself? Just because someone doesn't make it all the way to the end of the trail doesn't mean they should not have gone. Sometimes you have to see what it's all about before you can come back and make a proper go of it. Sometimes you have to see what it's all about so you know it's not for you.
Very true. And just because someone doesn't want to thru-hike, or complete one they started, doesn't mean they don't like hiking / camping / getting out there. Virtually all of the gear is the same, though I'll admit to carrying a few more luxuries than most thru-hiker's would. I don't have to carry it all the way to ME, and making "x" miles per day, or K by Oct. isn't an issue.

Luddite
12-05-2010, 12:52
Might even save some time&money...:eek:

Save money and time for what? To go on with life being cynical about everything and never trying anything?

4eyedbuzzard
12-05-2010, 13:15
Save money and time for what? To go on with life being cynical about everything and never trying anything?
I don't think that's quite what the OP meant. But there are people who have never even hiked for a full week before and go off on a tear and do things like quit jobs, sell houses or vacate apartments, quit college, etc. to thru-hike. It can be an unhealthy obsession with a romantic idea, the reality of which they have no experience with. When the reality hits them somewhere between GA and VA, they give up on the thru, but many of the decisions, choices, and arrangements they made remain. And some are extremely costly long term - never mind the relatively minor costs of gear and travel. I really think prospective thru-hikers would benefit from going on a few longer 2 to 4 week section hikes before deciding they want to thru-hike and start arranging their lives around it. Just makes common sense.

Luddite
12-05-2010, 13:27
I don't think that's quite what the OP meant. But there are people who have never even hiked for a full week before and go off on a tear and do things like quit jobs, sell houses or vacate apartments, quit college, etc. to thru-hike. It can be an unhealthy obsession with a romantic idea, the reality of which they have no experience with. When the reality hits them somewhere between GA and VA, they give up on the thru, but many of the decisions, choices, and arrangements they made remain. And some are extremely costly long term - never mind the relatively minor costs of gear and travel. I really think prospective thru-hikers would benefit from going on a few longer 2 to 4 week section hikes before deciding they want to thru-hike and start arranging their lives around it. Just makes common sense.

I guess I didn't think of it that way.

People also underestimate the green fuzzy appalachian hills. They don't realize they're steep and endless.

Smile
12-05-2010, 14:13
I just hope they list their gear after they quit on here :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-05-2010, 14:14
I just hope they list their gear after they quit on here :)
We are nothing if not compassionate here at WB. :rolleyes: :D

Smile
12-05-2010, 14:16
:) And sarcastic at times :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-05-2010, 14:25
:) And sarcastic at times :)
Moi? :eek: :rolleyes: :o

The Cleaner
12-05-2010, 15:56
Thanks for sharing:sunI'm just trying to get some poeople think a little more and that never hurts....:welcome

4shot
12-05-2010, 22:33
Yep.

For me, and I'm not criticing those who feel otherwise, things like completing college, succeeding in a career, having a family, raising children, public service, etc. are far more important than walking from GA to ME.

I agree with you ...I have done many things more important than a thru-hike, including all of those you mention. However none of them were more difficult (for me anyway)and this is the aspect of a thru-hike that most are not prepared for, myself included.

rusty075
12-06-2010, 11:57
Back to The Cleaner's original idea about people who just "buy some gear and hit the trail": has anyone ever seen any real data about whether hiking experience really equates to thru-hiker success rates? Anecdotal observations from my own hike seemed to be that once you were past the romantic notions of backpacking as "communing with nature" and prancing through fields of wildflowers for 6 months, the extra actual experience with a pack on your back wasn't all that useful. Novice hikers who at least knew what they were getting into, even if they just read it in someone else's trailjournal, seemed to do just as well as hikers with more experience.

Tilly
12-06-2010, 12:04
I agree with you ...I have done many things more important than a thru-hike, including all of those you mention. However none of them were more difficult (for me anyway)and this is the aspect of a thru-hike that most are not prepared for, myself included.

Wow, having kids & responsibilities of family should be a breeze then. And I hiked during a rainy year.

SassyWindsor
12-06-2010, 12:23
The stats show approx 50% make it to Harpers Ferry in either direction. I've always heard 50% (NOBO) drop out before Hwy 76 (Dicks Creek Gap) and I'm sure more before Harpers Ferry. No matter, the average completion rate of 20% is probably pretty close.

4shot
12-06-2010, 12:28
[QUOTE=4shot;1075967]
Wow, having kids & responsibilities of family should be a breeze then. And I hiked during a rainy year.

trust me,and certainly the most rewarding thing you'll ever do. Like a thru-hike, many people are afraid of it before they get started. Best wishes.

Old Hiker
12-06-2010, 13:00
Wow, having kids & responsibilities of family should be a breeze then. And I hiked during a rainy year.[/QUOTE]

Wait, wait - it RAINS on the Trail??? When did they start letting THAT happen???

Ladytrekker
12-06-2010, 13:36
I went in May spent a week on the trail started at Springer thought I was good to go that hike kicked my a$$. I hike alot in Florida did some multiday hikes, gear shakedowns and worked out in a boot camp style of training, my legs thought they were gonna die. I do hear that after a few weeks you get your trail legs. But I know that next time I do this and there will be a next time I am going to pay attention to my body and do what it can instead of what people tell I should be able to do each day. I think those that finish a thru and I hope to someday are to be admired because it is tough and the mental endurance has to be unbelievable.

fredmugs
12-06-2010, 13:46
If you walk until you don't feel like walking any more, then how is that a failure?

Let's give everyone who starts out to do a thru hike and quits a medal.

Ladytrekker
12-06-2010, 13:48
I was not doing a thru I was just up there for a week. But I have a better idea of what I need to do a thru now. Alot of stamina and alot of time.

Luddite
12-06-2010, 13:52

Because boredom is an obstacle. Anyone who tries to hike a 2,000 mile long trail is going to not feel like walking at some point.

Tilly
12-06-2010, 13:59

Wait, wait - it RAINS on the Trail??? When did they start letting THAT happen???[/QUOTE]

I was surprised that they let it rain that much on the East Coast. My next hike will the the Arizona Trail.

garlic08
12-06-2010, 14:00
Back to The Cleaner's original idea about people who just "buy some gear and hit the trail": has anyone ever seen any real data about whether hiking experience really equates to thru-hiker success rates? Anecdotal observations from my own hike seemed to be that once you were past the romantic notions of backpacking as "communing with nature" and prancing through fields of wildflowers for 6 months, the extra actual experience with a pack on your back wasn't all that useful. Novice hikers who at least knew what they were getting into, even if they just read it in someone else's trailjournal, seemed to do just as well as hikers with more experience.

Good point. I haven't seen data either, but my anecdotal observations agree with yours. I've met novice hikers who looked thoroughly prepared, ready for a long trail, happy even after the first month when reality has set it, and a real joy to hike with, by the way. And I've met plenty of very experienced hikers who have never known a failure--they've thru hiked every trail they set out to hike.

Why some and not others? Like in school, where some students just don't test well and others do? Some tend to succeed in everything they do, some do not. I think it's not only preparation and planning, it's also plenty to do with personality and drive.

Rocket Jones
12-06-2010, 14:19
Fred: Let's give everyone who starts out to do a thru hike and quits a medal.

Better idea. Give everyone who finishes a patch and don't judge the rest because they don't meet (very flexible) standards.

Luddite: Because boredom is an obstacle. Anyone who tries to hike a 2,000 mile long trail is going to not feel like walking at some point.

Maybe they've met their personal goals or proved to themselves what they set out to prove. Once again, "completing" the AT has a lot of leeway built into the definition. Just because they haven't walked all of it in one go (or whatever your personal definition is) doesn't make them a failure.

hikingshoes
12-06-2010, 14:47
How about just support the hike!!If he/she makes fine,if not support that hike anyway, if she/he needs,because we dont know what is going on in there life.Just my point of view.HS

Pony
12-06-2010, 15:13
Let's give everyone who starts out to do a thru hike and quits a medal.

Out of curiosity, have you ever attempted or completed a thru hike?

Check out Pop Pop's trail journal. He ended his thru attempt in Maine, and I don't know of anyone on the trail this year that considered him a failure. He was just sick of hiking, and didn't see any reason to prolong his hike. I didn't get the feeling that he regrets his decision.

The Cleaner
12-06-2010, 15:25
Well look's like I got a lotta people thinking(and posting),isn't that what's WB is for?Hope I didn't piss anybody off too much..anyway better to be pissed off than pissed on...Have a great hike everyone,whether it be 1 mile or 1000...:banana

sbhikes
12-06-2010, 16:36
Even if somebody rearranges their whole life, quits this, moves out of that and still only makes it one day on the trail, that is their lesson to learn. Trying to stop someone from learning their lessons is futile.

I remember sitting in Warner Springs (after the first week on the PCT) listening to this very sad young man complaining to his family how this wasn't what he expected AT ALL, that he wasn't finding himself or anything. He was so disappointed. But that was his lesson to learn and had he not been able to learn it, he would not have been spared any confusion and pain in his life. He would have had to do something else and fail just as miserably at it.

Meanwhile, as I floated in the hot pool in Warner Springs I thought to myself, wow, this is NOT what I expected AT ALL. This is totally awesome, so much better than I expected. I never want to go home. This is where I belong. And yet I still didn't quite make it the whole way in one try. Did I fail, too? Nah. I loved it even while I hated it. Best thing I ever did. Gonna do it again someday and I probably still won't hike the whole trail in a single year.