PDA

View Full Version : Trail Ford campsite trashed...

lilricky
12-05-2010, 12:43
Just got back from hiking the FT in the Withlacoochee State Forest. Stopped by the Ford campsite for the night last night. There must have been 13 or 14 empty Mountain House packets and styrofoam cups strewn everywhere. It didn't look like they had been there long, perhaps a few days. I can't see FT members doing this, I'm thinking its the hunters in the area right now. I picked everything up in the main area, but the little trails leading out from there still have some trash. Not a very fun hike to say the least. :mad:

LoneRidgeRunner
12-05-2010, 13:14
Just got back from hiking the FT in the Withlacoochee State Forest. Stopped by the Ford campsite for the night last night. There must have been 13 or 14 empty Mountain House packets and styrofoam cups strewn everywhere. It didn't look like they had been there long, perhaps a few days. I can't see FT members doing this, I'm thinking its the hunters in the area right now. I picked everything up in the main area, but the little trails leading out from there still have some trash. Not a very fun hike to say the least. :mad:

That's really sad that people don't respect the trails any more than that. The filthiest campsite I ever saw was on Hazel Creek in the Great Smokey Mountains of NC. I had walked 13 miles to go trout fishing there and found enough trash to probably fill a large pick up truck bed. It wasn't left by backpackers though because it was things like 2 quart pork and bean cans which back packers don't carry. This trail and site allowed horses so this was left by horse people and most likely it was bear poachers hunting Black Bears (not allowed in the Smokeys) for their gall bladders. That pretty much ruined my 5 day trout fishing trip. (that and the fact that it poured the rain as soon as I arrived and the creek rose by 4 feet and there was no getting in there to trout fish without winding up drowned and found in Fontana Lake 9 miles down stream)

Smile
12-05-2010, 14:14
Bummer, inconsiderate, not much else to say....

mweinstone
12-05-2010, 15:25
i like trashin. dont know why. just like cleaning of all kinds. pickin up others trash aint no biggie. dosnt ruin my time. adds to it. i see a trashed site and i get busy. i like to pick up every peice of foil in a pit or scraping each drop of wax from shelters. i especialy like putting the "clues" together and imagining what went down. some trash tells the story of drunks. some of dummys. some of overburdened dummys. some of overburdened drunk dummys. but i enjoy trashin. im a trasher. allways was. allways will be. i concider it a badge of honor to emerge at a roadhead with others trash. sorry. im weird like that.

lilricky
12-05-2010, 15:31
Doesn't make you weird, thats a very honorable trait. Guess in retrospect it wasn't that bad. Just made me angry.

LoneRidgeRunner
12-05-2010, 15:39
:datz:datz
i like trashin. dont know why. just like cleaning of all kinds. pickin up others trash aint no biggie. dosnt ruin my time. adds to it. i see a trashed site and i get busy. i like to pick up every peice of foil in a pit or scraping each drop of wax from shelters. i especialy like putting the "clues" together and imagining what went down. some trash tells the story of drunks. some of dummys. some of overburdened dummys. some of overburdened drunk dummys. but i enjoy trashin. im a trasher. allways was. allways will be. i concider it a badge of honor to emerge at a roadhead with others trash. sorry. im weird like that.

Thjat's not weird..in fact it's commendable but no one should leave trash for others to pick up. If you read my earlier reply about the trash dump at Hazel Creek in the Smokeys of NC you wouldn't be able to haul that out in a pack. You would have needed a pick up truck. I know a guy who once saw someone throw down a cigarette butt and he picked it up, ran in fron of the guy and told him in no uncertain terms: "I think you dropped this and one of is WILL carry it out of here and by God it's not going to be me!" The guy looked dumbfounded but he took his cigarette butt and put it in his shirt pocket and carried it out of the woods.. I knew the guy who picked it up and he surely would of kicked that slob's a** if he had refused to carry out his cigarette butt...

mweinstone
12-05-2010, 17:28
"ahh hikahs....wit ya little trail.....hikin........its actually kinda respectable" in a heavy new york accent, we met this guy walking once and everyone started imitating his speech. wakapak does it real good.

" ahh, whatdaya hikin?....hikings a joke" he would say. then he would say" its nice you hikahs pick upya little bits a trash...gotta love em"

we will never forget this dude. whoever he was.

ERNMAN
12-08-2010, 18:53
Im glad I don t sound like that...jeez

bloodmountainman
12-08-2010, 18:56
Why do you think hunters did this?:confused:

Mr. Magoo
12-09-2010, 13:23
As an ex-South Queens boy, that sounds more like Maine to me. :)

"ahh hikahs....wit ya little trail.....hikin........its actually kinda respectable" in a heavy new york accent, we met this guy walking once and everyone started imitating his speech. wakapak does it real good.

" ahh, whatdaya hikin?....hikings a joke" he would say. then he would say" its nice you hikahs pick upya little bits a trash...gotta love em"

we will never forget this dude. whoever he was.

Ladytrekker
12-09-2010, 13:35
I hike the FT all the time and we def practice leave no trace. I do find it shocking how people will throw there trash around. I have and do p/u others trash