PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking pads for couples?

Patchfoot
12-05-2010, 14:31
We've been packing two zrests stuck together, but we have a tendency to push them apart when we have our bags zipped together. Anyone know of an inflatable pad wide enough for a couple that isn't car camping heavy?

We can almost fit on a regular pad (we sleep in a one man tent), but just need something a bit wider.

burntoutphilosopher
12-05-2010, 15:14
what we use is this:

a medium neo air and a short neo air and 2 lengths of paracord (whic his a good idea to have anyway)

the cord we just tie the pads together. and we use a short and a medium on a slight tilt, both of our feet go on the one that's full length (err, medium length, whateber ; )

LoneRidgeRunner
12-05-2010, 15:14
We've been packing two zrests stuck together, but we have a tendency to push them apart when we have our bags zipped together. Anyone know of an inflatable pad wide enough for a couple that isn't car camping heavy?

We can almost fit on a regular pad (we sleep in a one man tent), but just need something a bit wider.

I'm a solo hiker but I have a Mountain Hardwear closed cell foam pad that is 20 inches wide and has toggles (guess that's what you would call em) and corresponding loops on the other side to attach 2 pads together. I have had this pad for years and I just came from Mountain Hardwear site and couldn't find ANY pads now. Surely they haven't stopped making them. I also couldn't find any pads by Mountain Hardwear on the Mountain Gear site either. Any way, if you can find one it's a great pad and can be coupled with another pad. HINT: Mine is NOT for sale...lol..:D

burntoutphilosopher
12-05-2010, 15:15
btw, we also sleep under a double qide top quilt that is 2lbs 2 ounces ( to share! ) good to 20 F and the size of a queen sized comforter...

best campin nights sleep we ever had.

burntoutphilosopher
12-05-2010, 15:55
oh additionally, Exped sells a coupler kit for the Downmats, but unless it's going to be seriously bellow zero, those are pretty much 'car camping' heavy (mmm but car camping comfortable)

tuswm
12-06-2010, 22:01
I have been thinking about this recently. I was thinking about cutting small slits with a hot knife then using a few pieces of Velcro. I figure 4 small pieces of velcrow cant weight more then an ounce or two but will the pads rip apart?

lustreking
12-07-2010, 09:18
Contact Bender from http://kookabay.com and see if he can do a custom size.

skinewmexico
12-07-2010, 10:26
Bender does nice work.