PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Max 65 LTR

Copper Tail
12-05-2010, 16:42
I purchased a Coleman Max 65 LTR backpack from Wally World spring of '09 to try out. I was there to buy bug spray, not a backpack.

I normally wouldn't recommend buying a backpack from Wal Mart since they usually carry that cheaper Outdoor product...stay far-far away from that product. But I noticed they carry Coleman Max and after studying it for several days, I went back and got it.

It is an internal frame pack. The price was $70 + tax. For the money I have found it to be a great buy. Other competitor packs in the same size range will easily cost two or three times more.

It's a top loader with one large compartment and a separate compartment below that for your sleeping bag which can be accessed from the outside, or inside.

It has a bladder compartment on the inside, which for me I found a little disappointing that it could have been slightly larger depth wise. I use a camelbak military grade bladder my brother gave me. It worked fine in my other pack, but it's a little tight in this one, but works.

It has two smaller side pockets with zippers that are large enough to hold my mess kit and stove, the other side, I hold my fuel and a rope I use to hang food. The pockets are large enough to hold a 16 oz propane bottle and maybe a few small items also.

Under these pockets on either side there is a webbed water bottle pocket.
The back has a double loop system to attach items, a set of straps at the bottom for a tent or sleeping pad. It also has two velcro loops on the back for holding poles, etc.

The lid has a compartment on the inside and also houses a removable rain cover. On the topside of the lid are two straps for a tent, or pad.

The harness padding is nice and thick and quite comfortable on the waist, shoulders and back. The torso straps are adjustable and stay snug.

I've always been an avid day/overnight-er hiker, but recently got into LDH.
If you are like me, new to LDH, and want some gear that will be forgiving to your bank account, I highly recommend that you at least take a good look at it and not be shy to buy it. Even if you're a hard core LDH'er. It would make a good backup and one to have for someone to borrow that you may want to introduce to hiking.

The Cleaner
12-05-2010, 20:58
:eek:Think I saw this pack,is it red?You know you can about outfit a thru hike with all the stuff in Wally World now. I saw a small gas canister stove,hiking poles&Mountian House and some rain gear and other stuff.Yep those high price outfitters will soon be history...there were boots headlamps ......

Copper Tail
12-06-2010, 12:31
Yes, it is Red, gray & black. I saw one with an orange color scheme..not hunter's orange though.

I also forgot to mention that it has two handles on it as well. One on the back and the other above the shoulder harness. Both are sewn well and are very durable.

I've read other posts where people have found some good lightweight stoves at Wal Mart, but I haven't seen them down my way..yet.

I did pick up some Swiss Hiking Poles recently there. They were half the price that Dick's were selling them for.

The Cleaner
12-06-2010, 14:48
Yes, it is Red, gray & black. I saw one with an orange color scheme..not hunter's orange though.

I also forgot to mention that it has two handles on it as well. One on the back and the other above the shoulder harness. Both are sewn well and are very durable.

I've read other posts where people have found some good lightweight stoves at Wal Mart, but I haven't seen them down my way..yet.

I did pick up some Swiss Hiking Poles recently there. They were half the price that Dick's were selling them for.
How bout the Wal-Mart wall of ramen..lol:sun

Mongoose2
12-06-2010, 18:26
I have used a Coleman back pack for several years now. It is relatively lightweight, well constructed and comfortable, and carries a load nicely. Don't let packsniffers tell you what brand you should or should not own, I have found good products from several differant lines.

TallShark
12-07-2010, 01:37
^ who you callin a packsniffer, I prefer pretentious. But in all seriousness with a little ingenuity some of the brands that don’t get as much acclaim are sometimes already, or can be, just as good if not better, Not always though. I have some horror stories but the coleman sounds like a good find.

Mtn Scout
12-07-2010, 02:23
i have the same pack and some of the guys i hike with that have a lot more expensive gear really like it. i have 3 packs. the colemanm gregory and a kelty and 85 percent of the time i carry the coleman

4eyedbuzzard
12-07-2010, 09:03
:eek:Think I saw this pack,is it red?You know you can about outfit a thru hike with all the stuff in Wally World now. I saw a small gas canister stove,hiking poles&Mountian House and some rain gear and other stuff.Yep those high price outfitters will soon be history...there were boots headlamps ......
Be afraid, be very afraid. :eek: :rolleyes:

:) Walmart :) and :mad: Walmart :mad:

It's a love / hate thing with me

Copper Tail
12-07-2010, 10:26
How bout the Wal-Mart wall of ramen..lol:sun

You actually eat that stuff?:confused:

i have the same pack and some of the guys i hike with that have a lot more expensive gear really like it. i have 3 packs. the colemanm gregory and a kelty and 85 percent of the time i carry the coleman

I've covered a couple of hundred miles on the Pinhoti with this pack so far and I have no complaints. If it can make a thousand miles before any kind of failure, I'd go get another one as a replacement.

I met a guy on the Pinhoti. He had just finished the Florida Trail and was making his way to Benton MacKaye and then the AT. He had been flip flopping around some towns doing some odd jobs here and there because he wasn't geared up for hard core winter hiking. He had a Kelty pack..not sure of the model, but it looked like it would be better used by a sherpa! I helped him get his pack weight down. He had to be pushing 70 lbs! The more space you have to fill, the more stuff you are going to be tempted to carry!

That's one thing I like about my pack. Makes me consider carefully what I am going to carry. Fully loaded winter pack (with food & water) and I'm at 37 lbs.

skinewmexico
12-07-2010, 10:28
I was there to buy bug spray, not a backpack.

Classic Walmart. BPL has a guy doing a test right now with equipment obtained only at Walmart. It will be pretty interesting reading, I'm sure.

ec.hiker
12-12-2010, 21:59
I bought a pair of these and the locking mechanisnm on one of them broke as soon as I got it home. I picked up some lekis on ebay now I have two lekis and one swiss gear the cool thinkg I din'trealize till I returned the one hiking pole was they sold me both of them for the price of one so I got a free trekking pole sweeeeeet!!

skeeter
02-18-2011, 22:38
I was just over at walmart and really liked this pack. I have been searching extensively for a pack for a few weeks(months?) and if this pack has a reasonable weight to it, I'm buyin it. I held it in my hand but when it comes to packs I'm a bad judge of weight. I was thinkin about taking my food scale in there and weighing it, or maybe weigh it in the produce section :) Anyone have an idea of the weight of the 65 L pack?

stonedflea
02-21-2011, 19:47
I purchased a Coleman Max 65 LTR backpack from Wally World spring of '09 to try out.

It is an internal frame pack. The price was $70 + tax. For the money I have found it to be a great buy. Other competitor packs in the same size range will easily cost two or three times more.

this makes me very happy, as i noticed this pack just last week and i've been meaning to google it. :)