PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

swjohnsey
12-05-2010, 21:18
Looking to thru-hike starting around April 1, 2011. Anyway, I am traveling pretty light. I have some LLBean Gortex that has served me well. It serves as rain gear as well as windproof outer layer and even to warm me up a bit in my 40 degree bag when it gets really cold outside. The LLBean stuff weighs 2'4". Advertised weight of the Marmot Precip top and pants 1'8". This is pretty low priority as the stuff I have works but it is always fun to buy new (lighter) gear.

Talk to me about this stuff and other stuff like it that I might want to look at. Price is a consideration. Looks like I can get the Marmot stuff for around $150. Don't want poncho. Want something that is somewhat beartheable. The performance as a wndproof outerlayer is probably more important to me than its performance as rain gear.

tuswm
12-06-2010, 21:46
check out the montbell windshirts the parka with the hood is 3.3 oz and has a DWR treatment. less then $100

sparky2000
12-06-2010, 22:33
Look up the min and max tems for the Ga area u'll be hiking. A 40 deg bag will be cold.

verber
12-08-2010, 00:41
Looking to thru-hike starting around April 1, 2011. Anyway, I am traveling pretty light. I have some LLBean Gortex that has served me well. It serves as rain gear as well as windproof outer layer and even to warm me up a bit in my 40 degree bag when it gets really cold outside. The LLBean stuff weighs 2'4". Advertised weight of the Marmot Precip top and pants 1'8". This is pretty low priority as the stuff I have works but it is always fun to buy new (lighter) gear.

Talk to me about this stuff and other stuff like it that I might want to look at. Price is a consideration. Looks like I can get the Marmot stuff for around $150. Don't want poncho. Want something that is somewhat beartheable. The performance as a wndproof outerlayer is probably more important to me than its performance as rain gear.

If you want cheap and light, try driducks. $20, ~12oz for jacket AND pants. I found them more breathable than Gore-Tex. If you want to spend money, check out shells made from eVENT. I would recommend looking at Rab and Westcomb.

Unless you sleep REALLY warm, I think you will find a 40F bag, even if you are wearing a base + shell will be inadequate some nights.

--Mark

ec.hiker
12-08-2010, 00:44
I have two sets of military issued fortex rain suits one the new digital pattern and the other the old marine corps green style both are incredibly heavt. I now use a ceap 2 dollar rain pocho

WhoDey
12-08-2010, 01:47
If you want cheap and light, try driducks. $20, ~12oz for jacket AND pants. I found them more breathable than Gore-Tex. If you want to spend money, check out shells made from eVENT. I would recommend looking at Rab and Westcomb.

Driducks are great although not that durable. eVent is great stuff although it is very expensive

frisbeefreek
12-09-2010, 00:11
I used a DriDuck suit for 4800miles. Cost = $15 and weight was 10oz. Durability is not an issue unless you are brush bashing. It's more breathable and much lighter than my Marmot Hardshell (precip pants and Orion jacket).

Powder River
12-11-2010, 01:57
Go with the Marmot Mica. 7 ounces, and it uses "Membrain Strata" instead of precip, and I can tell you the stuff really works. Its rated as breathable as eVent, and its pretty close to water proof. 80 to 90 bucks.

As for the 40 degree bag, I wouldn't use that until you're past Mt. Rogers. Good luck!

Lyle
12-11-2010, 10:16
Brawny Gear Silnylon rain jacket - stuffs to the size of a small woman's fist - 4oz
ULA Rain Wrap - stuffs even smaller - 3oz

Works great with a wicking layer underneath - not tremendously comfortable on bare skin.

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your OP and see you want breathable. This combo isn't, but I've come to the conclusion that that feature is vastly over-rated with rain gear. If it's so cold that you need rain/wind protection, then it's not that difficult to control sweating with the proper wicking layers.

Of all the breathable raingear I've used, FroggToggs have been the most effective. DriDucks are the same principle but lighter, cheaper, but a bit more fragile. If you insist on bomb-proof gear, then do not try to go UL. With a bit of care, the lighter options work just fine.

swjohnsey
12-11-2010, 10:35
I ended up and ordered Precip, tops one place and bottoms (partial zip) another for about $135.

garlic08
12-11-2010, 10:38
You really want to bring a warmer bag, if you want to stay on the trail. I started early April '08 and experienced two winter storms of several days each, with nighttime temps in the mid teens above 5000'. Lots of hikers bailed out, but I was able to stay on trail with my 15F bag. Definitely wait until past Mt Rogers for the 40F bag.

I carried a Marmot Essence jacket (about 7 oz) that worked fine, and cheap pants I got at a surplus store. I ditched the pants in May and carried the jacket the rest of way. If you want to go lighter, there are several good options lighter than the Precip. The Marmot Mica sounds similar to the Essence, which looks like it's not made any more. I would try that.

Powder River
12-11-2010, 12:34
You really want to bring a warmer bag, if you want to stay on the trail. I started early April '08 and experienced two winter storms of several days each, with nighttime temps in the mid teens above 5000'. Lots of hikers bailed out, but I was able to stay on trail with my 15F bag. Definitely wait until past Mt Rogers for the 40F bag.

I carried a Marmot Essence jacket (about 7 oz) that worked fine, and cheap pants I got at a surplus store. I ditched the pants in May and carried the jacket the rest of way. If you want to go lighter, there are several good options lighter than the Precip. The Marmot Mica sounds similar to the Essence, which looks like it's not made any more. I would try that.

You know what I guess my jacket is an Essence too. Get those confused. For some reason it runs much smaller than Marmots other stuff so I had to get an XL, and the zipper is on the wrong side. It's a shame they dropped it though.