PDA

View Full Version : need a new sleeping bag

achangeincourse
12-05-2010, 21:25
i'm looking to buy a new sleeping bag, one rated for 20, 15 or 0 degrees in the 150$ to 250$ range ive done a lot of research and looking around theres a lot out there. Just wondering if anyone has a brand/model they would recommend that fits my criteria thanks for your help:sun
- AchangeInCourse -

Serial 07
12-05-2010, 21:31
montbell super stretch burrow bag #0...it's synthetic but so warm and comfortable...

http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-super-spiral-burrow-0-synthetic-sleeping-bag-0-degree?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=MTB0139&mv_pc=r126

Roland
12-05-2010, 21:34
My advice is to get the best sleeping bag you can afford to buy. There are lots of places to cut cost when buying gear, but this is not one of them, in my opinion.

Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Marmot all enjoy good reputations. Their temperature ratings are accurate/conservative.

If you decide to buy a less expensive bag, there are lots of folks who are happy with Campmor brand. That bag uses down that doesn't fluff-up as much, so more of it is needed, resulting in a heavier bag. If weight isn't a primary concern, this may be a good option.

Good luck.

achangeincourse
12-05-2010, 22:08
thanks good advice

swjohnsey
12-05-2010, 22:16
Unless you are leaving in January that is probably more bag than you need.

Kelty bags aren't bad.

achangeincourse
12-05-2010, 23:41
Unless you are leaving in January that is probably more bag than you need.

Kelty bags aren't bad.

which one the montbell super stretch?

mweinstone
12-05-2010, 23:45
i am the single smartest human being on this or any other planet.

the only company is marmot.
stretch bags suck.
no one ever carrys enough sleeping bag .
money aint your concern marmot has bags all over the market.buy a used one they dont die.

thank you.

skinewmexico
12-05-2010, 23:47
Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Marmot all enjoy good reputations. Their temperature ratings are accurate/conservative.

I think WM and FF are the gold standard personallly. You might check Golite.com, they have a 40% off code now.

achangeincourse
12-05-2010, 23:58
what about big agnes i was considerning this one http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-summit-park-sleeping-bag-15-degree-down i already have a pad to go with it has anyone ever used this brands

Mountain Wildman
12-06-2010, 00:37
I had the Big Agnes Elk Park -20 Bag, It was way too heavy so I returned it and bought a Feathered Friends Bag, I considered the Summit Park but it has no insulation on the bottom, Your only insulation is your sleeping pad and I use a NeoAir which is only rated as 2.5 for insulating properties. The only problem I can see is that the Summit Park already weighs 3 1/2 pounds and you will need to carry another 1 to 2 pounds worth of Pad.
A good down bag of the same 15 degree rating and reasonable pad will be about 3 pounds or less total.

jeremesh
12-06-2010, 00:55
friend of mine just purchased the marmot arroyo. its a 30 degree bag but packs small and weighs little so you could have extra room for a beefier pad if needed

Tipi Walter
12-06-2010, 11:47
My advice is to get the best sleeping bag you can afford to buy. There are lots of places to cut cost when buying gear, but this is not one of them, in my opinion.

If you decide to buy a less expensive bag, there are lots of folks who are happy with Campmor brand. That bag uses down that doesn't fluff-up as much, so more of it is needed, resulting in a heavier bag. If weight isn't a primary concern, this may be a good option.

Good luck.

This is about the best advice on the thread. For winter backpacking, you will want a bag rated about 15 degrees below what you plan to encounter. This is where most backpackers suffer because they refuse to carry the extra weight needed to stay warm at night when it's 0F or below. For me, and this is subjective, a 0F Marmot Couloir bag stopped working at around 10F, and so I went with a WM Puma rated at -15F and never looked back.

Roland has it right: Get the best you can find, and don't worry about the money because what's your life worth? In addition, what pad you sleep on is vital---it's gotta be in the 5R to 8R range. Check out the Exped downmats.

Bags4266
12-06-2010, 11:49
Nice looking bag, but around $100. to ship to USA. Nah

Bags4266
12-06-2010, 11:58
BTW, this bag looks interesting. I see it on Steep and cheap all the time for around $160. http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-somnus-15-sleeping-bag-15-degree-down
Anyone buy it yet?

nox
12-06-2010, 13:01
At your price range you should be looking to get a bag closer to the 20 degree mark. I wouldn't try to cheap out on the 0 degree bag. If you want one for winter i would up your price range so you can look at higher quality 0 bags. As far as reccomendations I give a big thumbs up to Marmot. I have an Arroyo (30f) and a Couloir (0f) and they both rock. As Tipiwalter said ratings are subjective, anything above 15f and my Couloir is too HOT... I definitely agree with him on the Exped mats, those things are toasty.

gunner76
12-06-2010, 13:10
You need to "test fit" the bag you are interested in as what is comfortable to me will not be for you.

middle to middle
12-06-2010, 13:12
I have shivered through my last night I switched from a 20degree to a 0.

achangeincourse
12-06-2010, 13:19
thanks everyone for the great advice i have the big agnes 4 season (its brownish) pad that you blow up thats why i was interested about there bags but i have heard bad things about them.